|
Your donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » RPGWatch Feature - Hero-U: Rogue to Redemption Review

Default RPGWatch Feature - Hero-U: Rogue to Redemption Review

September 12th, 2018, 12:28
Corwin checked Hero-U for that Quest for Glory vibe and apparently enjoyed himself while doing that.

About twenty five years ago when I was looking for a new game to play I came across a Sierra RPG/Adventure game hybrid title called ‘Quest For Glory’. At the time, I was gaming on a C64 and only thinking about ‘upgrading’ to an IBM PC. This game not only needed a ‘proper’ computer, but something called a 286. However, the game sounded so great I just had to get both it and a 286. This was my introduction to PC gaming. The series had 5 games in total and I loved every one of them. Sure, they weren’t ‘pure’ RPG’s, but they were FUN and bright and lively and chock full of corny humour and puns.

Sadly, that genre sort of faded away in popularity replaced by ‘shooters’ and hard core gritty RPG’s. Lighter, fun games weren’t for ‘serious’ gamers and then MMO’s arrived to further muddy the waters. I despaired of ever playing something similar again. However, about five years ago the creators and developers of the original series reappeared on Kickstarter with a plan to revive the genre for gamers old and new. Corey and Lori Cole, the husband and wife team behind Quest for Glory have finally released the first in what’s hoped to be a new series set in the same game world as the original which should appeal to all its former fans.
More information.
--
In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move. Douglas Adams
There are no facts, only interpretations. Nietzsche
Some cause happiness wherever they go; others whenever they go. Oscar Wilde

Myrthos

Cave Canem
Administrator
RPGWatch Team

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)

September 12th, 2018, 12:28
Here is Corwin’s take on Hero-U
--
In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move. Douglas Adams
There are no facts, only interpretations. Nietzsche
Some cause happiness wherever they go; others whenever they go. Oscar Wilde

Myrthos

Cave Canem
Administrator
RPGWatch Team

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)

September 12th, 2018, 13:18
Thanks Corwin - I agree 100%.

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
RPGWatch Team
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)

September 12th, 2018, 14:36
Generally agree, but towards the end I found it was a bit of a grind. Maybe if they packed the same content in 40 days rather than 50 it would of had better pacing. Also, there was just too many time locked events where you know the solution but you have to wait for certain day until you can do what you need too.
--
Favourite RPGs of all time: Wizardry 6, Ultima 7/7.2, Fallout2, Planescape Torment, Baldurs Gate 2+TOB, Jagged Alliance 2, Ravenloft: The stone prophet, Gothic 2, Realms of Arkania:Blade of destiny (not the HD version!!) and Secret of the Silver Blades.

bjon045

Keeper of the Watch

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
+1:

September 13th, 2018, 06:58
I enjoyed this game somewhat. It is a different type of game for me, and I'm not good at interpreting clues so I missed a few of the somewhat major plot points and consequently there were quite a few "days" in the game which were not interesting.

The way combat was handled, though infrequent, was not good in my view (not that I have any idea how it could be better) but the writing and tone of the game were good.

NFLed

Sentinel

September 13th, 2018, 09:34
Originally Posted by bjon045 View Post
Generally agree, but towards the end I found it was a bit of a grind. Maybe if they packed the same content in 40 days rather than 50 it would of had better pacing. Also, there was just too many time locked events where you know the solution but you have to wait for certain day until you can do what you need too.
Yeah I agree, it does become a bit of a grind. But even so, I would recommend it to anyone who liked the QFG series or anyone who would like an adventure/RPG hybrid.

Lemonhead

Keeper of the Watch
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

September 13th, 2018, 16:26
The game is good fun but I suck at it. It's hard to understand some of the vague quest directions or what clues to look for. That said, I like it so far. I hope I'm not headed towards a failstate, though, which seems like a real thing that could happen.

TheRealFluent

H.O.O. Inquisitor

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)

September 14th, 2018, 16:44
Thank you for the review!

I backed the game, but I still haven't had the time to play it yet. It sounds like I definitely should.

Maylander

SasqWatch
Original Sin Donor

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Send a message via MSN to Maylander

September 14th, 2018, 20:28
I played it when it first came out, it was fun but very grindy and there were times when I felt like there was nothing to do but grind. The setting itself also seemed fake and lackluster; where are the other, non-rogue students and teachers? Also, the movement speed was WAY to slow, although last I heard they were going to fix that.

I plan to play it again soon, as I never finished it. All in all, I recommend it, but Hero's Quest is a much better game.

Antiquity Games

Watcher

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

September 14th, 2018, 20:59
Sadly, that genre sort of faded away in popularity replaced by ‘shooters’ and hard core gritty RPG’s. Lighter, fun games weren’t for ‘serious’ gamers and then MMO’s arrived to further muddy the waters.
Yes, it's a very sad trend / fashion. Just look at gaming magazine covers from 20 years ago !

I just wish this game or a game like these would hit retail.

Of course, it wouldn't sell, because "serious gamers" just woudn't buy it, but casual and older players would perhaps see that there is just more out there than .. the mere few genres overdominating everything else these days.

I yet have to play it, but I'm looking forward to it.
--
“ Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius – and a lot of courage – to move in the opposite direction.“ (E.F.Schumacher, Economist, Source)

Alrik Fassbauer

TL;DR
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)

September 14th, 2018, 23:57
Nice review, Corwin! I must point out you didn't mention much about the graphics, which are pretty, particularly the stunning portraits scattered throughout the school. The game does have tons of charm and love poured into it and I agree with your excellent review. Cheers!

TheRealFluent

H.O.O. Inquisitor

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)

September 15th, 2018, 01:03
Thanks people, I just hope everyone has as much fun with this game as I did. Yeah it can become a little grindy in places, but even there it's optional what you choose to do. I understand it seems strange there are no other students around, but obviously budget restraints meant the focus was on game content, rather than peripherals, nice as they would have been. This was basically a two person operation, not a triple A gaming company!!
--
If God said it, then that settles it!!

[email protected]

Corwin

On The Razorblade of Life
RPGWatch Team

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)

September 15th, 2018, 01:07
Excellent to read another review on the game, thanks Corwin! Reading this just makes me more eager to dive into this product.

Carnifex

SasqWatch

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)

September 15th, 2018, 08:46
Good review, thanks Corwin!

I can't believe you skipped Amiga and went straight to 286! How much did you pay for that piece of crap? Did it have a soundcard?

Even in 386 days games were mostly still CGA, EGA graphics using PC speaker for sound.

(I actually did get a 286 around 1998 while I was working at the CSIRO and they were throwing all the old PC stuff out. Built myself a real nice 286 with this case that folded open like a laptop. Put Pool of Radiance on it. )

SirJames

SasqWatch

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)

September 15th, 2018, 09:41
Originally Posted by SirJames View Post
Good review, thanks Corwin!

I can't believe you skipped Amiga and went straight to 286! How much did you pay for that piece of crap? Did it have a soundcard?
I also went straight from a c64 to 286. That was sometime after they stopped making gold box games for the c64. At the time I was more than happy with the graphics of my c64 but I remember seeing bards tale 2 on a friends amiga and looking at the graphics with great envy.
--
Favourite RPGs of all time: Wizardry 6, Ultima 7/7.2, Fallout2, Planescape Torment, Baldurs Gate 2+TOB, Jagged Alliance 2, Ravenloft: The stone prophet, Gothic 2, Realms of Arkania:Blade of destiny (not the HD version!!) and Secret of the Silver Blades.

bjon045

Keeper of the Watch

September 16th, 2018, 01:02
Sir James, when a game you want is only available for a 286, which was the latest and greatest at the time you get a 286. It was custom built for me though and yes it had a Sound Blaster!!
--
If God said it, then that settles it!!

[email protected]

Corwin

On The Razorblade of Life
RPGWatch Team

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)

September 17th, 2018, 12:03
I have a free steam key if anyone wants first come first serve:

9MZ6E-WGLQT-8VDJQ

Damian

SasqWatch
Original Sin 2 Donor

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)

September 23rd, 2018, 03:52
This review is corny.

I love it!
--
Toka Koka

joxer

The Smoker
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

Mentioned: 90 Post(s)

September 24th, 2018, 00:27
I still can't wait to play. Thanks for the review!
--
People's Commissar for the Suppression of Gamer Culture

staff editor and columnist, RPGWatch.com
cassieyorke.wordpress.com

Aubrielle

Rabbit Mafia
RPGWatch Team

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)

October 2nd, 2018, 04:54
anyone knows how is the performance?

Is it playable with an integrated gpu of a netbook?

CRD

Watcher

RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » RPGWatch Feature - Hero-U: Rogue to Redemption Review