|
Your donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » Bard's Tale IV - Launch Trailer & Wishlist Unlocked

Default Bard's Tale IV - Launch Trailer & Wishlist Unlocked

September 14th, 2018, 11:50
The Bard's Tale IV: Barrows Deep has a launch trailer and reached 300K wishlists which lowered the price to $34.99.

Wishlist Update - 300k Unlocked!

14 September - paul_inxile
We are thrilled to announce that the second tier has been unlocked!

In other major news, the launch trailer for the game has been released! You can watch it here:

loading…

More information.

Silver

Spaceman
RPGWatch Team

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)

September 14th, 2018, 11:50
I like the music at the end of the trailer.

Capt. Huggy Face

Aging Gamer
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

September 14th, 2018, 12:22
I still cant get over that stupid party interface! I bet if this would be different devs and new, unknown game, it would be bashed to the ground by gamers, but now it isn't even criticised that much!
Wait! I just realized what it reminds me of:
it looks like cinema!And party are cinema attendants , who watch movie on big screen before them. And then time from time they turn around to player to say: ""shhh, please, keep silent, we are watching movie here""! lol

Zogar Sag

Watchdog

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)

September 14th, 2018, 13:03
Originally Posted by Zogar Sag View Post
I still cant get over that stupid party interface! I bet if this would be different devs and new, unknown game, it would be bashed to the ground by gamers, but now it isn't even criticised that much!
it looks like cinema!And party are cinema attendants , who watch movie on big screen before them. And then time from time they turn around to player to say: ""shhh, please, keep silent, we are watching movie here""! lol
Haha, yeah, that thought occurred to me as well. Why not have the classical portraits at the bottom and then they can still have a visual representation in the grid above? Still looking forward to playing it, but that part of the UI will take a while to get used to…
Last edited by TomRon; September 14th, 2018 at 21:43.

TomRon

SasqWatch
Original Sin Donor

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)

September 14th, 2018, 13:16
I just went to their website and if you pre-order now, you have to pay $28 so what are they getting at with this wishlist thing?

lostforever

SasqWatch

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)

September 14th, 2018, 13:19
When is it releasing? Will be it be released for OSX?

Edit: seems like it will be released for mac but there is no release date yet, other than "coming soon".

Lemonhead

Keeper of the Watch
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

September 14th, 2018, 13:22
Originally Posted by lostforever View Post
I just went to their website and if you pre-order now, you have to pay $28 so what are they getting at with this wishlist thing?
Maybe you preorder through their site and you don't need to pay Steam's cut?

Archangel

SasqWatch

September 14th, 2018, 14:49
That would make sense. They shouldn't have to give Steam their usual vig if the sale generates from their own website, I would think.

Carnifex

SasqWatch

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)

September 14th, 2018, 14:54
Originally Posted by Carnifex View Post
That would make sense. They shouldn't have to give Steam their usual vig if the sale generates from their own website, I would think.
I don't think companies need to give steam anything if they don't use steam to buy it. How would companies give so many keys to press and others if they would need to pay a cut to Steam every time.
This is why Steam disabled key that were given outside of Steam being part of the review score.

Archangel

SasqWatch

September 14th, 2018, 15:22
Posted under Steam comments:

paul_inxile [developer] 11 hours ago
Here's a happy surprise. Brian just posted this on Twitter:

"Bards Tale 4 ended up at $34.99 for a reasonably good sized RPG (40 hours+). If sales are good we will go ahead and create the Dwarven Dungeon of Haernhold for free.

We want you happy and when youre happy, we get to keep making RPGs."

We are *very* happy with getting 2 out of 3 on the wishlist initiative, so it looks like if the game does well, everyone will get the DLC for free after all. Help spread the word and, if you enjoy the game when it comes out, please think about leaving a positive review! Beyond wanting the game to sell well from a company standpoint, I'm a Bard's Tale III fan, so I want to see the dwarven realm in BT4!

Drithius

Laughing Gnome

September 14th, 2018, 17:23
Originally Posted by lostforever View Post
I am glad you posted this. It is $34.99 on Steam but $28 on their web page, so why would I want to pay more?

NFLed

SasqWatch

September 14th, 2018, 17:35
Not sure if Id call it stupid, though it is certainly different. It feels a bit premature to pass judgement on it before Ive even experienced the gameplay. Heck, it might even add a small bit of extra immersion, that youd miss out on with just traditional portraits.

Feist

Watchdog

September 14th, 2018, 18:33
Backed this and look forward to playing it. I’ll reserve judgement on the combat interface until after I’ve tried it.

sakichop

SasqWatch
Original Sin Donor

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)

September 14th, 2018, 18:57
I like the party interface, it's extremely flexible. Being able to change formation during battle seems like a huge plus, to me. It certainly adds another variable to battles and seems more realistic. Why wouldn't you move out of the way of an attack if you could? BTW, this was shown in the demo walk through trailer, not this one.

I just can't believe this is releasing a week before Pathfinder: Kingmaker; a week, to the day!

Hak'n'Slash

Watcher

September 14th, 2018, 19:42
Well, it reminds me of the early phase when different UIs were tried out. Very early in gaming.

OS and Office software had a similar phase - I do know several DOS utility programs with really wacky interfaces.

What takes me a bit in surprise is that this game turns out to be a very, very British game. There are not many games which create this impression on me.
--
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction. (E.F.Schumacher, Economist, Source)

Alrik Fassbauer

TL;DR
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

September 14th, 2018, 20:24
I also backed this waiting for my key.

shaf

Watchdog

September 14th, 2018, 20:42
I don't believe the key will simply show up, you have to jump through some hoops to get it. I had to link my kick starter account with their website, and I hope I did it right. Guess I'll find out!

Carnifex

SasqWatch

September 14th, 2018, 21:01
My slight concern with this one is the discord between the aesthetic and the content. Some of the graphics look very atmospheric, and the soundtrack puts me in the mood for epic fantasy, yet the interface and the interactions present a zany cartoonish tone. It's a strange bird, and I'm curious to see if it flies or hits the tarmac.
--
"Orwell was almost exactly wrong in a strange way. He thought the world would end with Big Brother watching us, but it ended with us watching Big Brother." Alan Moore

Ripper

Ngikufisela iwela

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)

September 15th, 2018, 00:28
I got an email about thirty minutes ago stating that the next email I get should contain the key of my choice!! Still not playable until the eighteenth, but there is something satisfying about seeing a product sitting there waiting on me.

Carnifex

SasqWatch

September 15th, 2018, 01:03
Cool. That narrator sounded like Brynjolf of Riften.
--
Character is centrality, the impossibility of being displaced or overset. - Ralph Waldo Emerson

wolfgrimdark

SasqWatch
Original Sin Donor

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » Bard's Tale IV - Launch Trailer & Wishlist Unlocked