|
Your donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » Cyberpunk 2077 - CD Projekt RED Partnership

Default Cyberpunk 2077 - CD Projekt RED Partnership

October 9th, 2018, 05:48
Gematsu reports that CD Projekt RED has partnered with Digital Scapes Studios on Cyberpunk 2077.

About Digital Scapes Studios and the Partnership

Founded by industry veterans hailing from BioWare, Radical Entertainment and Relic, Digital Scapes is an ambitious video game development studio specializing in AAA multiplayer console and PC game development, development tool creation, asset production, and cloud computing. Digital Scapes team members worked on blockbuster game series like Company of Heroes, Warhammer 40,000, Dying Light, Prototype, and more.

The Canadian partner studio will closely cooperate with CD Projekt RED on creating and optimizing technological solutions for use in the development of Cyberpunk 2077.

[…]
More information.

Silver

Spaceman
RPGWatch Team

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)

October 9th, 2018, 05:48
So yeah kinda confused her as the game is already in alpha. What is this company going to be used for? Will it be the future online portion, or porting the console version?

Couchpotato

In the Name of Kane!

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
+1:

October 9th, 2018, 08:04
Well, the optimist in me hopes they're there to tweak gameplay more appropriate to Cyperpunk's FPS style (since it's a departure from the Witcher's swordplay) - as ID software did for Fallout 4. But that's a complete monkey-outta-my-ass theory. They're more likely to be handling Console porting, so it doesn't bog down the primary team.

Drithius

Laughing Gnome

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)

October 9th, 2018, 08:39
Yeah, that is a bit strange that late in development. Could also mean the game is farther off than 2019…

Darkheart

Keeper of the Watch
Original Sin 2 Donor

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)

October 9th, 2018, 10:57
Originally Posted by Couchpotato View Post
So yeah kinda confused her as the game is already in alpha. What is this company going to be used for? Will it be the future online portion, or porting the console version?
Definitely tools/tech for Multiplayer ( probably a separate release, like GTA online or something). They've stated ( a long while back) they've got all people they need for SP.
--
Rush in and die, dogs…I was a man before I was a king.

BoboTheMighty

SasqWatch

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
+1:

October 9th, 2018, 11:36
It does strike me as odd to bring them in at this (apparently) late stage, though. I would have thought that you'd need to design the game for multiplayer from the get go. Retrofitting multiplayer to a game of this complexity would be an unholy nightmare. I'd have thought you'd need the input from the multiplayer side from the beginning.

Perhaps they have designed it for multiplayer, and are just leaving all the technicalities of the server implementations and so forth to a third party.
--
"Orwell was almost exactly wrong in a strange way. He thought the world would end with Big Brother watching us, but it ended with us watching Big Brother." Alan Moore

Ripper

Ngikufisela iwela

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)

October 9th, 2018, 15:22
Earlier this year, CDPR said no multiplayer for Cyberpunk 2077 at launch.

Digital Scapes Studios is hiring for both multiplayer and level design jobs right now, doesn't mean it's all for Cyberpunk 2077 though. They are a mercenary studio.
--
It's developer is owned by Sony which means it'll remain a hostage of inferior hardware. ~ joxer

azarhal

SasqWatch
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin Donor

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
+1:
RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » Cyberpunk 2077 - CD Projekt RED Partnership