|
Your donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » NWN - A Thorough Look

Default NWN - A Thorough Look

October 9th, 2018, 12:05
Noah Caldwell-Gervais had a good look at Neverwinter Nights and the 14 respectiveofficial campaigns.

loading…

This is a video critique and retrospective of all 14 official campaigns released for Neverwinter Nights 1 and 2, between 2002 and 2009. It looks at how each module and game tries to stand out from the others, and how they all uniquely tie back into the legacy of the Dungeons and Dragons tabletop experience. There are TOTAL SPOILERS for all the campaigns, but they're there to provide context and definition for those who don't wish to spend the hundreds of hours it takes to make this journey themselves.
More information.

Silver

Spaceman
RPGWatch Team

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)

October 9th, 2018, 12:05
Is there a summary of best->worse ?

Barghest

Watchdog

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)

October 9th, 2018, 12:12
Such summary is unnecessary. The whole vanilla campaign is such bs I couldn't believe it's Bioware's product.
--
Toka Koka

joxer

The Smoker
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

Mentioned: 93 Post(s)

October 9th, 2018, 12:36
Hordes of the Underdark expansion was good fun, highly recommended
--
Favourite RPGs: Baldur's Gate II, NWN: The Aielund Saga, Pathfinder: Kingmaker, Icewind Dale I, Stardew Valley

purpleblob

Princess

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)

October 9th, 2018, 13:37
I recently tried to play NWN again.
I couldn't. The game was ugly as hell when it came out - and the EE didn't improve anything.
Those incredibly pixelated icons everywhere, the "large" font is just a pixelated upscaled variant of the normal font, the textures, the hover effects when leaving a level, the spells, the terribly "modern" UI, just… everything is so damn ugly.

Meanwhile, I replayed Turok recently and it was awesome.
So it definitely isn't the age that deters me, it really is the ugliness - barely played the game when it came out, either.

TheSHEEEP

Sentinel

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
+1:

October 9th, 2018, 13:52
Aged badly! Recently tried to play this amazing game, that looked so superb on my old monitor then, now it looks like SHT. Cannot bear. Also the gameplay now seems to hail from a brain-dead universe, where every creative thought was suppressed into a boring grey mold. ugh.. My only memory of this game is how good the game looked THEN in small resolution with that black-armored knight carrying his giant sword on his back and it was dripping green poison. I watched that excellent particle effect with mouth agape then.

mercy

SasqWatch

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)

October 9th, 2018, 14:09
This is another game I've been meaning to play, but just haven't gotten around to it as of yet. I mean the newer version of course, not sure if all the extra campaigns would appeal to me but I'm sure I'd give a few of them a go.

Carnifex

SasqWatch

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)

October 9th, 2018, 14:49
Replaying NWN2 OC again currently. NWN took various attempts over 10 years for me to get through, and this also. I believe I WILL finish it this try though, through determination alone. My biggest beefs with it now are only 4 in party, and inability to set formation. I always had a hard time creating a character too, because the story defines you as a teenager leaving your village for the first time which is too restrictive for me.
--
If you have no other choice but to kill, you have failed.
Ntwa kgolo ke ya molomo

Philistine

Sentinel
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

October 9th, 2018, 15:44
Aww, this looked pretty interesting. I was looking forward to hearing more about those campaigns I never played (think I played 5/14) Then I saw that the video was over 3 hours long…

I plan to replay all of the NWN goodies once the "facelift" involved in the Enhanced Edition has moved a stretch further along than it has yet. (so maybe…late 2019 or so)

"New character and weapon models for Neverwinter Nights: Enhanced Edition are getting closer! As soon as we’re ready, we’ll be sure to share a few amazing screenshots!"
(from the Beamblog)
Last edited by Feist; October 9th, 2018 at 16:01.

Feist

Watchdog

October 9th, 2018, 16:13
NWN is awesome, but the original campaign is a waste of time. Play The Aielund Saga instead.

GabrielMP_19

Vault Survivor

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

October 9th, 2018, 20:59
Originally Posted by TheSHEEEP View Post
I recently tried to play NWN again.
I couldn't. The game was ugly as hell when it came out - and the EE didn't improve anything.
Those incredibly pixelated icons everywhere, the "large" font is just a pixelated upscaled variant of the normal font, the textures, the hover effects when leaving a level, the spells, the terribly "modern" UI, just… everything is so damn ugly.

Meanwhile, I replayed Turok recently and it was awesome.
So it definitely isn't the age that deters me, it really is the ugliness - barely played the game when it came out, either.
I spent $40 on the NWN EE simply because I had money to burn.

jpnole

Watchdog

+1:

October 9th, 2018, 21:50
Originally Posted by jpnole View Post
I spent $40 on the NWN EE simply because I had money to burn.
Yeah… thankfully, I played short enough to be able to refund.

TheSHEEEP

Sentinel

October 10th, 2018, 00:14
A decent game for its time, although I still dislike the limited party control and the interface. None of the campaigns I played really grabbed me.

rjshae

Periapt vs Paronomasia
RPGWatch Donor

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)

October 10th, 2018, 02:12
Originally Posted by GabrielMP_19 View Post
NWN is awesome, but the original campaign is a waste of time. Play The Aielund Saga instead.
Seconded, it is the best NWN module I played Love it.

Personally, I don't think NWN aged badly, I still play it
--
Favourite RPGs: Baldur's Gate II, NWN: The Aielund Saga, Pathfinder: Kingmaker, Icewind Dale I, Stardew Valley

purpleblob

Princess

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)

October 10th, 2018, 02:18
Originally Posted by rjshae View Post
A decent game for its time, although I still dislike the limited party control and the interface. None of the campaigns I played really grabbed me.
Originally Posted by purpleblob View Post
Seconded, it is the best NWN module I played Love it.

Personally, I don't think NWN aged badly, I still play it
Try The Girl in Ill Humour. I know the author real well.

---

The graphics on the game were at least a year out of date on release due to Bioware's legal dispute with Interplay. Its still improved if you look at the 1999 screenshots vs the 2002 ones. When the free camera hack came out you could zoom into the detail and it was a lot better. But compared to Dungeon Siege and Morrowind it was pretty bad but NWN offered a lot more than those two games did. The Vault had to shut down the haks that added DS assets to NWN which many at the time thought was perfect artwork for it.
--
Developer of The Wizard's Grave Android game. Discussion Thread:
http://www.rpgwatch.com/forums/showthread.php?t=22520

Lucky Day

Daywatch

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)

October 10th, 2018, 04:18
All the naysayers can kiss my A**.

NWN 1&2 are the best D&D games ever made.

I spent thousands of hours playing both as modders continue to make new content years after their release. Not many games can say the same in the last ten years.
--
"Praise be to the gaming gods and their holy avatar CD Projekt" - Couchpotato

Check out my RPG News Thread usually updated daily.

Couchpotato

CD Projekt Fanboy

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)

October 10th, 2018, 10:48
After BG and BG2 I was so excited about NWN that after they finally realeased it it took me quite long time till I was able to admit to myself that I actually hate it. Today I can safely say this was one of the biggest disappointments in my personal gaming history.
Visuals were only part of the problem for me, but generally said, I did not enjoy time of early 3D games.

Andrew23

Watcher

October 10th, 2018, 16:20
Originally Posted by Couchpotato View Post
NWN 1&2 are the best D&D games ever made.
Agreed. I always thought NWN games were a way better DnD experience than BG or IWD.
--
How nice for you to meet me.

Winterfart

Passenger

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)

October 10th, 2018, 17:39
I didn't care for Neverwinter nights. I really liked it at first, but then several things started to annoy me. The graphics were pretty bad, and the world was very limited. Especially in terms of how everything would start to look the same and with reused graphics everywhere and generic streets in the city, it just did not feel like a real place.

Not anything like the Baldur's Gate city in the infinity engine games. Neverwinter nights I know is very popular among some old school rpg gamers. This is one of those games where I think I am out of step with many who are rpg hardcore fans. Same with the Planescape game, most people think it was amazing, with great writing and such a philosophical masterpiece. etc. Meh. I thought it was merely "ok". Nothing special.
--
To check out my games library, and see what recent games I'm playing, visit my steam profile! -- http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197982351404

Arkadia7

Keeper of the Watch
Original Sin 2 Donor

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » NWN - A Thorough Look