RPGWatch - GOTY Awards 2018 - Most Promising RPG - RPGWatch Forums
|
Your donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » RPGWatch - GOTY Awards 2018 - Most Promising RPG

Default RPGWatch - GOTY Awards 2018 - Most Promising RPG

January 31st, 2019, 23:52
You have read what the best RPGs of 2018 were and here is the list of games our members think offer the most promise in 2019 (assuming they are released this year).

More information.
--
In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move. Douglas Adams
There are no facts, only interpretations. Nietzsche
Some cause happiness wherever they go; others whenever they go. Oscar Wilde

Myrthos

Cave Canem
Administrator
RPGWatch Team

Mentioned: 84 Post(s)

January 31st, 2019, 23:59
Okay now that list did surprise me a little. Thought Outer Worlds would be 2nd or 3rd. As for Two Worlds 3 & Cyberpunk 2077 I have some doubts they will release in 2019.

Wasteland 3 has me doubting as updates are very slow & inXile usually do a six months to a year beta on steam before the full release. Can't believe Greedfall got 10th place.
The votes of the editors were all over the place, so no top 3 could be made.
Not a surprise.
--
"Remember EA thinks Single-player games are dead & gamers are all basically idiots."

Check out my news Thread it's updated weekly.

Couchpotato

Anti-EA Supporter

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)

January 31st, 2019, 23:59
Massive % for cyberpunk i bet
--
Favorite Game: Gothic II
My steam profile

porcozaur

S.T.A.L.K.E.R.

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)

February 1st, 2019, 00:04
The percentages were: 27%, 17% and 12%, respectively.
As to Outer Worlds, the difference with Realms Beyond was just 0.1%, so it was a really close call.
--
In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move. Douglas Adams

Myrthos

Cave Canem
Administrator
RPGWatch Team

February 1st, 2019, 00:38
Don't nkow a lot of potentially great games next year but some of them won't show up and others will be dud. Hum. But in a year we will know for sure how things turned out !

you

Lazy_dog
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)

February 1st, 2019, 02:42
Originally Posted by Couchpotato View Post
As for Two Worlds 3 & Cyberpunk 2077 I have some doubts they will release in 2019.
I agree. Two Worlds III is pure nonsense imho, that game is not even in production.
Black Geyser could also slip into 2020.

Can't believe Greedfall got 10th place.
I would put it in TOP 5.

But guys…. where is Encased???

I cant believe its not in the list. If Black Geyser is there - which is nice, but also surprising because it was doubted and criticized by some fans - why not Encased? The game is criminally "underrated".

loading…

EDIT: I could also mention Disco Elysium…
--
----------------------------------------------------------------
New videos of RPGs/story-driven games (+ENG subtitles):
https://www.youtube.com/user/Rastm4N/videos

Farflame

Keeper of the Watch

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)

February 1st, 2019, 03:15
It's looking to be a fairly decent year yet again for gaming, assuming all these make their respective dates. If a few miss, I'll just warm up some classics, so I dare a couple to delay till next year!

Carnifex

SasqWatch

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)

February 1st, 2019, 03:20
Really nice list, but yeah I'm skeptical about how many of these we'll actually see.

rjshae

Periapt vs Paronomasia
RPGWatch Donor

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)

February 1st, 2019, 04:15
I'm quite surprised by the result, except for Cyberpunk voted as the most anticipated.

1 Cyberpunk 2077
2 Wasteland 3
3 Realms Beyond
4 The Outer Worlds
5 Phoenix Point
6 Two Worlds III
7 Black Geyser: Couriers of Darkness
8 Druidstone: The Secret of the Menhir Forest
9 The Sinking City
10 Greedfall
Wasteland 3 ahead of Realms Beyond, that surprised me but I guess not everyone is fantasy party based RPG fan like me

Black Geyser ahead of Druidstone really surprised me considering there were hardly any news/updates from Geyser team whereas Druidstone is to be released early this year.
--
Favourite RPGs: Baldur's Gate II, NWN: The Aielund Saga, Pathfinder: Kingmaker, Icewind Dale I, Stardew Valley

purpleblob

Princess

Mentioned: 81 Post(s)

February 1st, 2019, 10:09
Not surprised by the top 3, although personally I didn't vote Cyperpunk because I don't expect it to be released this year. That Black Geyser and Two Worlds 3 ended up so high on the list IS surprising though, I have serious doubts about those two ever being released. The developers are welcome to prove me wrong of course.

TomRon

SasqWatch
Original Sin Donor

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)

February 1st, 2019, 10:12
@Farflame, agreed on Disco Elysium and Encased, those would have made my most anticipated top 10 for sure.

TomRon

SasqWatch
Original Sin Donor

February 1st, 2019, 10:51
I wouldn't bet Cyberpunk 2077 is gonna be released this year. Also Realms Beyond will be available in Early Access at best, they strive for full release in 2020. Still, RB is the most expected game of mine for next two years.

On the other hand, I'm a bit scared about Wasteland 3. No real updates for a while and now jumping on a M$ payroll… I'm afraid they go from cRPG with optional multiplayer to multiplayer game with optional cRPG elements.

Also, I'd put Druidstone much much higher. Lack of Encased is a bit dissapointing. Otherwise, nice list we have.

Mrozie

Watcher

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)

February 1st, 2019, 11:25
Originally Posted by Mrozie View Post
On the other hand, I'm a bit scared about Wasteland 3. No real updates for a while and now jumping on a M$ payroll… I'm afraid they go from cRPG with optional multiplayer to multiplayer game with optional cRPG elements.
Don't jinx it! Joxer has been calling it a MMO since the Kickstarter, I would hate it of he got it right. Honestly I don't think so though. I'm pretty sure the whole Co-op solution was added because of the success of the DOS games, not to cater to the "pure" Multiplayer crowd.

TomRon

SasqWatch
Original Sin Donor

+1:

February 1st, 2019, 14:39
Realms Beyond has a "coming early 2020" on Steam, I'm not sure how it is on the list for 2019 games.

Two Worlds III started pre-prod in mid-December, anyone expecting it in 2019 is going to wait a long time.

I'm not sure why Wasteland 3 is that anticipated, but then I have not been impressed by InXile games that much, maybe others have.

I would have expected Black Geyser, Druidstone and Greedfall higher…and Disco Elysium somewhere because it is mentioned often around here and elsewhere. Although, maybe it's always the same person who mention it and everyone else don't care.

Haven't heard of The Sinking City, looking at the Steam page that looks interesting, but it is officially labelled as an adventure game (????).
--
It's developer is owned by Sony which means it'll remain a hostage of inferior hardware. ~ joxer

azarhal

SasqWatch
Original Sin Donor

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)

February 1st, 2019, 16:16
That's why we allowed everyone to comment on the GOTY and most promising lists we will be using, before the voting is started, so that people don't have to express their negative feelings on why the list is incorrect afterwards
--

Myrthos

Cave Canem
Administrator
RPGWatch Team

February 1st, 2019, 16:19
I think for now, Wasteland three has earned its rather high position because of the success of the prior iteration, I can only hope that the multi-player additions don't take away too much from the solo playing experience.

Carnifex

SasqWatch

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
+1:

February 1st, 2019, 16:24
It is strange how Encased manages to stay so far under the radar. They're very active with Kickstarter updates and their Twitter feed is absolutely stuffed with gorgeous concept and in-game art.
--
contributed to: Age of Decadence | Dead State | Dungeon Rats | Battle Brothers | Fell Seal | Stygian
working on: Colony Ship RPG | Encased | ATOM RPG | Realms Beyond

screeg

floating head

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)

February 1st, 2019, 16:56
Okay now that list did surprise me a little.
#1 is no surprise. But I'm absolutely confused with #2 and #3.
Seriously?
And also Greedfall at #10 (note that I didn't vote for it as there weren't 4 choices to make).

Honestly if one of those two runner-ups was Anthem or Destiny 3 I could still somehow understand it, but these…
Originally Posted by TomRon View Post
Don't jinx it! Joxer has been calling it a MMO since the Kickstarter, I would hate it of he got it right. Honestly I don't think so though. I'm pretty sure the whole Co-op solution was added because of the success of the DOS games, not to cater to the "pure" Multiplayer crowd.
Joining mmo mass hysteria was the reason why I didn't back it during crowdfunding campaign. To this day, noone from Inxile came here and said, no it won't be any mmo.
--
Toka Koka
Last edited by joxer; February 4th, 2019 at 11:48.

joxer

The Smoker
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

Mentioned: 147 Post(s)

February 1st, 2019, 17:02
Also suspect that Encased is far more likely to materialise than a couple of those others.
--
"Where can the horizon lie, when a nation hides its organic minds in a cellar, dark and grim? They must be very dim." David Bowie, All the Madmen (1970)

Ripper

Ngikufisela iwela

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)

February 1st, 2019, 17:11
New Battle Brothers DLC announced today, Warriors of the North. I want to change my vote for most promising because this would be #1. I demand a recount
--
"From knowledge springs Power, just as weakness stems from Ignorance."

Hastar

Unspeakable

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
+1:
RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » RPGWatch - GOTY Awards 2018 - Most Promising RPG