Bard's Tale IV - Early 2019 Update

Silver

Spaceman
Staff Member
A new update for The Bard's Tale IV: Barrow's Deep announces a directors cut for June, which is also when mac and linux versions will be available.

Early 2019 Update

Posted by inXile entertainment (Creator)

Production Notes

Hi all, Paul here. We hope everyone had a fantastic holiday season and is having a good 2019 so far. For us, it has been a very busy and momentous last few months. As we move into the new year, things are coming more into focus and we would like to provide some quick updates on the progression of The Bard's Tale IV's updated 2.0 version, as well as an update on the Mac & Linux versions of the game.

A New Journey for inXile

99fbeaef55c3a3d12e31aac7c457b2a9_original.jpg

As many of you know, we were recently acquired by Microsoft, which is a great boon as we plan out future titles and has the added benefit of providing opportunities to improve our current and in-development game titles, including The Bard's Tale IV: Barrows Deep. We are very happy to be part of this new federation of Microsoft studios. As creators and game developers, we look forward to leveraging and utilizing the many tools, features, and services that Microsoft can offer.

2.0 expands to become the Director's Cut

We are still in development on the free DLC patch, which also includes a number of other player-requested features and items off of our own post-release support list. As the scope of the patch has expanded (and continues to), we decided that it warranted a more formal title than 2.0. When released, it will turn the game into "The Bard's Tale IV: Barrows Deep - Director's Cut". We are introducing several new features, most notably the previously mentioned DLC and an engine update, a larger undertaking allowing us to further improve performance and optimization. Many of those features were discussed in our last update, and include:

• A new dungeon and story line featuring new enemy types
  • New items (master-crafted gear and Dwarven Weapons)
  • Inventory filtering
  • Expanded balancing efforts across the entire game (combat, economy, abilities, etc.) based on player feedback and our own testing
  • A new Song of Exploration allowing you to bypass puzzles if those aren't your jam
  • Additional character portraits
  • A new intro animatic
  • Expanded work on improving localization
  • Updated game engine
  • Improved performance and stability
  • Improved level art
  • Reworked main menu
  • Numerous bug fixes
And much more! We are also currently working with Microsoft to improve and optimize our gamepad support. The Director's Cut is scheduled to go live in June.

Mac and Linux Users:

We've seen your comments and hear you. The Mac and Linux builds are making great progress in co-development and parity to our main version with our development builds and current feature production pipeline. We have a full-time dedicated team for each platform (Mac & Linux), and those teams are working concurrently with our main features dev teams.

The issue we have as developers is that we are unable to finalize the Mac and Linux versions of the game and continue to simultaneously make such sweeping changes to it. We wanted to resolve the issues that affected the PC launch before we shipped Mac and Linux and this dovetailed directly into the work we began doing for the Director's Cut, effectively becoming one continuous effort since September. This is why these versions need to go live the same day as the PC version of The Bard's Tale IV: Barrows Deep - Director's Cut.

We know it's frustrating that you backed us early and have such a long delay but it just didn't make sense to stop production in order to finalize these two versions and then circle back and update them months later. The Mac and Linux users will get the benefit of all the new features we are adding along with all the optimization, stability, and performance improvements so far, including our latest UE4 engine update, and that means tracking those development cycles to the current build.

For these reasons, we are releasing the Mac and Linux versions at the same time as The Bard's Tale IV: Barrows Deep - Director's Cut. We greatly appreciate everyone's patience with The Bard's Tale IV: Barrows Deep - Director's Cut, and we believe all backers on all platforms will enjoy the new and polished features when the new version goes live.

Until Next Time,
Paul Marzagalli
Public Relations & Community Manager
@phimseto

Follow Us:
Facebook | Twitter
More information.

Glad I haven't played yet!!!

Honestly so many games now get huge updates eay after release that it makes no sense to play right away.

I'm likely not planning to replay this until next year at the earliest, I'm sure by then all the patches should have landed. This second run should be even better than the first was, which wasn't bad.

I might need a "Song of Decent Character Development," but I'll give this game another shot after the Microsoft Big Money Patch (TM).

It is a habit of mine for NOT buying anything from Larian, InXile, Obsidian, CDProjekt, etc on day one. They will eventually come up with these Definitive Editions, Enhanced Editions, Directors Cuts to do justice for their games.

And this is the version I'm looking after.
I'm a very patient person.

I am also glad I didn't play it yet and now I am certain to wait for this big patch. Unfortunately this is same problem for me with all Inxile games. They release them in a sorry state, I wait for patches and then even when they are patched I lose all hype and will and never finish them. As a result I am no longer buying Inxile games in advance. From now on I am only getting them when they they are done, patched and hyped by the community as extra awesome.

It is a habit of mine for NOT buying anything from Larian, InXile, Obsidian, CDProjekt, etc on day one. They will eventually come up with these Definitive Editions, Enhanced Editions, Directors Cuts to do justice for their games.

Thankfully not everyone is like you. Some people actually support these studios so they can continue making the games we love.

Thankfully not everyone is like you. Some people actually support these studios so they can continue making the games we love.

Well, I support them by buying their completed games.
What I do not support is their method of work: create an over-ambitious title, that is clearly beyond their resources and sell it half-baked. This is Early Alpha, or Open Beta in my book.

Well, I support them by buying their completed games.
What I do not support is their method of work: create an over-ambitious title, that is clearly beyond their resources and sell it half-baked. This is Early Alpha, or Open Beta in my book.

I generally buy their games at Kickstarter, Early Access, Preorder or Day One, but do not play them until I decide that there will be no hefty additions or such. Because every dollar counts for these middle to short sized studios. Well, not anymore for Inxile and Obsidian since they bought by M$. So I can chance my policy for them. 😁

I gladly bite at kick starters that are well done and looked to be executed by people that know what they are doing, but when I see a trend of providing more content at a later date, that's when I switch to look for the finished volume. I guess I just prefer to get it all in one shot over piece-meal.

It wasn't really my cup of tea, but I liked it well enough to buy it anyway.

That said, when I buy games like this - I'm fully aware that improvements will be made and that I should probably wait if I want the "complete" experience.

But I'm old enough to remember how it used to be, before the Internet.

Back then, games were released in an unfinished state as well - and many were actually outright broken by today's standards.

However, since patches happened infrequently or never at all - you sort of learned to live with it - and you had the experience that was available.

That's exactly like it is now.

Games released in the state of Bard's Tale 4 or Wasteland 2 were the norm - not the exception. We just didn't know any better.

Remember, the Internet wasn't around - so you couldn't bias yourself with thousands of whiners bitching about broken games that may or may not be actually broken.

You had to discover bugs for yourself to realise they were there at all. Sometimes, that's a lot harder than one would assume.

I couldn't tell you how many of my favorite games from the 80s and 90s were incredibly broken - if not technically then certainly in terms of design. Anyone remember Daggerfall? Compared to that one, Bard's Tale 4 is a Blizzard game.

But it's just one of those things that have vastly improved from the past that people enjoy bitching about, because people are essentially morons when it comes to what it takes to release "perfect" software beyond a certain complexity.

CRPGs just happen to be among the most complicated genres to develop.

Well, I'm not necessarily a very patient person, but I've got a huge back log and little time. Whenever I get around to playing a game they are often at least a year old. In other words cheap and often more or less finished

I'm very impressed that they still put so much work and effort into this project !

(I stopped somewhere within the first tower ... I'm still not sure if that what I had encountered there was a bug or not.)

Anyway, it's one of my favourite games right now, and I do hope that I can play it fully through one day !

(I'm only sad that they didn't offer a CD version of the soundtrack - and I noticed that Kickstarter package far too late ...)

This and Pathfinder I'm holding off for mega patching. Still haven't purchased either game but certainly plan on it!

Back
Top Bottom