Phoenix Point - Epic Games Store Announcement - RPGWatch Forums
|
Your donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » Phoenix Point - Epic Games Store Announcement

Default Phoenix Point - Epic Games Store Announcement

March 12th, 2019, 20:48
Phoenix Point will be exclusive to the Epic Games Store.

loading…

More information.

Silver

Spaceman
RPGWatch Team

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)

March 12th, 2019, 21:13
I have not seen so many down-votes for some time

domein

Vintage Brewer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

March 12th, 2019, 21:14
My first of 100+ crowdfunding projects I want and requested a refund.
Even for failed projects I never wanted a refund - for me this exclusive deal is worse than a failed project.

Kylex

Watcher

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
+1:

March 12th, 2019, 21:17
Another free game.
--
Favorite Game: Gothic II
My steam profile

porcozaur

S.T.A.L.K.E.R.

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)

March 12th, 2019, 21:37
Figures indies love the Epic Store because of the profit split & exclusive cash payment.
This is actually digusting because this is a fully invested Fig crowd-funded game where the game literally would not exist without people wanting the Steam and GoG keys.
You'll still get them but a year after release.
--
"Remember EA thinks Single-player games are dead & gamers are all basically idiots."

Check out my news Thread it's updated weekly.

Couchpotato

Anti-EA Supporter

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)

March 12th, 2019, 21:42
Originally Posted by Couchpotato View Post
You'll still get them but a year after release.
No - as far as I've read backers will never get other than Epic keys.
You can buy the game on Steam or GOG 1 year after release - but as a backer you won't get a key for this stores.

Kylex

Watcher

+1:

March 12th, 2019, 21:48
Originally Posted by Kylex View Post
No - as far as I've read backers will never get other than Epic keys.
You can buy the game on Steam or GOG 1 year after release - but as a backer you won't get a key for this stores.
Read again please as I said a year after the Epic release.

As the developer has to honor the backer pledge if they promised you the keys. This would be considered bait and switch if they do not give Steam & GOG keys eventually.

Now if it's legally binding backers might have a legal case as this is a crowdfunded game. It's not comparable to Metro Exodus as they only offered early Steam pre-orders.
--
"Remember EA thinks Single-player games are dead & gamers are all basically idiots."

Couchpotato

Anti-EA Supporter

March 12th, 2019, 21:52
What a crock of shit Julian, so disappointing.

fatknacker50

Sentinel

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)

March 12th, 2019, 22:00
From the video it is VERY clear Julian knows the dissatisfaction this announcement will cause. Free DLCs for a year and up front refunds address this. The Epic store must be giving developers significant funds up front for them to be willing to go with a smaller customer base and losses from such concessions.

forgottenlor

Font of Useless Knowledge
RPGWatch Team
RPGWatch Donor

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)

March 12th, 2019, 22:00
Yeah he gave the usual PR excuses again.
Gollop acknowledges that not everyone will be happy with the one-year exclusive, as they may have had "the expectation of playing it on a specific platform" when they backed it—understandably, since the first two questions in the Fig campaign FAQ still state explicitly that Phoenix Point will be on Steam and GOG.

That might still be technically true, since the Epic Store exclusivity is only for a year, but I suspect that not everyone will be satisfied with that interpretation."So if for any reason you are not happy with this change, we will be very happy to offer a full refund, and I apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused you," he says.

As a bonus for early supporters who opt to stick with it, anyone who backed the Phoenix Point crowdfunding campaign or preordered it prior to today will get all paid DLC released during the game's first year for free. And for those with unresolved questions or uncertainties, an AMA will take place on the Phoenix Point subreddit tomorrow—that's March 13—at 12 pm PT/3 pm ET.
Link -https://www.pcgamer.com/xcom-like-ph…-for-one-year/

Just get a refund and hurt his bottom line. As 10,000 refunds will cost a lot of money.
--

Couchpotato

Anti-EA Supporter

March 12th, 2019, 22:19

As the developer has to honor the backer pledge if they promised you the keys. This would be considered bait and switch if they do not give Steam & GOG keys eventually.

Now if it's legally binding backers might have a legal case as this is a crowdfunded game. It's not comparable to Metro Exodus as they only offered early Steam pre-orders.
Yep, the FAQ says that original backers will receive an Epic key at release, and a Steam or GOG key after the 1 year exclusivity period is done. If that's not good enough, you can request a refund.

Stingray

SasqWatch
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)

March 12th, 2019, 22:20
Wow, I didn't expect that. I'm kinda surprised here and a bit disappointed too. A lot of people on Youtube saying they've asked for refunding:

Refund time. First you drop Linux support, now this. I had faith in this project, but nope. Sorry I'm out.
I backed for Phoenix Point because GOG was announced as launching platform. This recent Epic Store deal really is a game changer - but not for the better. I'll go for a refund (…)
Hope they paid you enough to tarnish your reputation with hardcore fans.
And the rage goes on and on and on… How did Snapshot Games not anticipate all that? As someone commented 'So you saw other companies doing this and their fan base turns on them and thought "it wasn't a good idea for them, but maybe it's a good idea for us." '
--
Sou tricolor de coração!

Sie sind das Essen und Wir sind die Jäger!

henriquejr

SasqWatch
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)

March 12th, 2019, 22:27
Yeah you're right - it's hidden in their FAQ, last question.

From their initial statement:
We recognize that some of you may have backed or pre-ordered Phoenix Point with an expectation of the platform you’d be able to play it on, and that this update changes that.
They should't have stated it this way.

Anyway I'm happy with requesting a refund.

Kylex

Watcher

March 12th, 2019, 22:31
Originally Posted by henriquejr View Post
And the rage goes on and on and on… How did Snapshot Games not anticipate all that? As someone commented 'So you saw other companies doing this and their fan base turns on them and thought "it wasn't a good idea for them, but maybe it's a good idea for us." '
Somebody asked that question on reddit.

Spoiler – Reddit Replies

They have to figure the cancellations and bad press wont affect sales.
--

Couchpotato

Anti-EA Supporter

March 12th, 2019, 23:04
At least Metro did honor pre orders, this is just pissing on all their supporters.
Killed all my interest in the game and I don't even hate epic like so many others do, I'd just like to avoid it like I avoid steam.

six

Watchdog

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

March 12th, 2019, 23:19
Somebody asked that question on reddit.

Spoiler – Reddit Replies

They have to figure the cancellations and bad press wont affect sales.
From the text you just quoted:

"This one hurts more than Metro for me…cannot believe this bullshit." -> my feelings too

I just don't know what to do now, I'm on the verge of asking for a refund (damn, I backed the game very early, whithin the 30 days of the original FIG campaign - "Congratulations!", they said, "You are officially the 581st backer of Phoenix Point by Snapshot Games."). Or perhaps I should wait for a few more days, maybe expecting another change, IDK. What's the deadline for refunding?

Mr. Gollop is advised to don his Adamantine Full Plate tomorrow when on the AMA. People will be foaming at their mouths Please @Silver, don't forget to post here a newslink with the AMA questions/answers.
--
Sou tricolor de coração!

Sie sind das Essen und Wir sind die Jäger!
Last edited by henriquejr; March 12th, 2019 at 23:52.

henriquejr

SasqWatch
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
+1:

March 12th, 2019, 23:20
It seems to me there are just too many games out there these days to limit your sales like this. I hope he enjoys his extra 10%, or whatever it is. I don't have the ability to look at real numbers, of course, but my gut feeling is a move like this just isn't worth it, especially if you're an indy just starting out. You need as many people to see your game as possible.

Capt. Huggy Face

Aging Gamer
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)

March 12th, 2019, 23:23
Epic is like a trap, in that it appeals to the greed of developers. But they don't think about that the greed may actually end up costing them profits in the end.
--
To check out my games library, and see what recent games I'm playing, visit my steam profile! -- http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197982351404

Arkadia7

Keeper of the Watch
Original Sin 2 Donor

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)

March 12th, 2019, 23:28
It's really not that big of a deal, but as usual, people are going to make it into something more.

There's nothing wrong with Epic. I'm currently using it to play Metro Exodus, and it launches faster than Steam and is just as hassle-free. People might as well get it now because it isn't going anywhere.

JDR13

SasqWatch
Original Sin Donor

+1:

March 12th, 2019, 23:32
Well, I was excited for this, but I don't like exclusivity deals so less likely to purchase unless it's very cheap.

Pladio

Guardian of Nonsense
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin Donor

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Send a message via MSN to Pladio
RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » Phoenix Point - Epic Games Store Announcement