|
Your donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » General News - 16 Best Sci Fi RPGs

Default General News - 16 Best Sci Fi RPGs

March 14th, 2019, 08:06
Unleash the Gamer shares their list of the best 16 science fiction RPGs.

loading…

HOW WE CHOSE THE BEST Sci-Fi RPGs

Before getting down to listing our favorite sci-fi RPGs , we'll explain the criteria that we considered when deciding whether or not a game fits into the Sci-Fi RPG category.

What an RPG Is (in our opinion)

For the purposes of the article, we consider an RPG a game that has:

• Story
  • Character building and progression
  • Choices that affect the game world
  • An emphasis on exploration
  • Combat that is directly influenced by player stat choice
What We Consider to Be Sci-Fi

As for deciding if a game can be included in the Sci-Fi genre, we took into consideration the following factors:

• Set in a near or distant future
  • Setting and universe based on imagined future scientific or technological advances
  • Science and technology are at the center or the basis of the plot, having either benefited or harmed the societies portrayed
  • Portrays aliens or life on other planets.

[…]
Thanks Farflame!

More information.

Silver

Spaceman
RPGWatch Team

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)

March 14th, 2019, 08:24
Alpha Protocol was sci fi? It's been a while, but I don't recall anything warranting the author's description of "vaguely" sci fi.

Capt. Huggy Face

Aging Gamer
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)

March 14th, 2019, 08:29
It is obvious that list was prepared by a true RPG gamer. Although I agree with you on Alpha Protocol. It is a good game but not qualified as Sci-fi.
--
"Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it."
Terry Pratchett, Reaper Man

Gokyabgu

Keeper of the Watch
Original Sin 2 Donor

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)

March 14th, 2019, 13:19
Didn't buy nor ever will so can't say the rare Obsidian's checkpoints galore was sci fi or not.

Bought, payed for a bit, some Stalker game. Not sure it was Chernobyl… What I'm sure though is that it ain't no RPG. It's a shooter with rare ammo and endless instarespawning trashmobs. A sort of openworld Doom yet trashmobs that can't ever die but are practically only temporarily KOed are annoying as hell.

Another game on that list that isn't RPG is Dishonored. It's an unique style of adventure you may crack "puzzles" within either by action or stealth - it does contain some RPG elements (progression tree, equips, sidequests and worldchange depending on your bloodshed) but the focus is on the player's skills, not skills on the character played. One of the best games ever made it definetly is, it's just not RPG.

The third game I have a problem seeing in that article is Nier Automata. Just as Alpha Protocol I didn't buy it, because what I've seen in articles and vids looks like mushroomy twitchfriendly grinder that aimes to earn $ not on game tself but aesthetics that can be turned into bestselling barbie dolls and cheap cosplay outfits. Is that RPG? Don't think so.
--
Toka Koka

joxer

The Smoker
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

Mentioned: 110 Post(s)
+1:

March 14th, 2019, 13:51
Can't really agree with that list entirely, though he/they are of course in their right to make any list as they see fit. Some of the games aren't more of a RPG than Metal Gear Solid is. Some games are there just to say "look we're oldschool gamers, we know what we are talking about" but then they list really average games with little more than nostalgia to speak in their favour like Anachronox or System Shock and then skip Underrail. Heavy Star Wars bias (don't get me wrong they were very good RPGs, but it's questionable that they were second AND third best Sci-Fi RPG ever). And once again #1 a game that's barely a RPG (unless being able to take talent points and controlling a defined character equals RPG, then probably League of Legends is a RPG too?), but they didn't seem to care for masterpieces that would probably qualify as more of a RPG, where you actually take a role and constantly make choices that each decide the fate of the whole world, such as X-Com.
Last edited by Nereida; March 14th, 2019 at 14:12.

Nereida

Watcher

March 14th, 2019, 13:56
It's a good list of games but it shows that traditional story driven RPGs are not the star anymore. As nowadays every game has RPG mechanics or elements at least.

I also found anther list yesterday.

20 Best RPGs To Lose Yourself In - CulturedVultures
If you are like me and want a good story to be told in the games that you play, odds are that you are drawn to role playing games. Since they tend to feature hours of dialogue, lots of choices and branching stories which take 50-100 hours to clear, the RPG you choose might as well be a good one. Hell, why not one of the best RPG games there is?

Maybe you are here because you are RPG curious, maybe a friend talked you into trying it out just this once, or maybe you became lured by all the RPG hooks that permeate so many other genres in this industry. Whatever your reason, we are here to help you select the best RPG around.

Our list of the best RPGs, which is in no particular order and limited to one game per franchise, is a smattering of games across platforms and eras, but all of them will give you a great experience with hours of fun gameplay.
--
“When you tear out a man's tongue, you are not proving him a liar, you're only telling the world that you fear what he might say.” - Check out my RPG News Thread Updated Weekly

Couchpotato

Grumpy Dwarf

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)

March 14th, 2019, 14:02
What, no Buck Rogers: Countdown to Doomsday or Matrix Cubed? Amateurs.

It's pretty clear that it's a limited list with some games arguably not even really RPG's.
--
Diddledy high,
Diddledy low,
Come brave blood sheep,
You've a goodly way to go.
- Brilhasti Ap Tarj

Pessimeister

Living Backwards
Original Sin 2 Donor

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)

March 14th, 2019, 14:35
Originally Posted by Couchpotato View Post

Stopped at #3 - if a Dark Souls clone is in there, I bet Neo Scavenger is on the list too.
--
Toka Koka

joxer

The Smoker
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

Mentioned: 110 Post(s)

March 14th, 2019, 15:07
Originally Posted by joxer View Post
Stopped at #3 - if a Dark Souls clone is in there, I bet Neo Scavenger is on the list too.
You'd lose that bet.

OP: Good list. Would change some things, but in general, it's pretty good.

StealthArcher

Traveler

March 14th, 2019, 16:10
Some of the games mentioned included:
Stalker Cher
Alpha Protocol
Wasteland 2
System Shock 2
Horizontal Down
Dishonored (so good it had to be mentioned but not sifi)
Nier Atom
Mass effect 1,2
Fallout 2
Fallout vegas
Acharanox (sp)
Star wars old rep 1,2
Deus human revolution, Deus Ex
--

you

Lazy_dog
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)

March 14th, 2019, 16:44
Decent list, but I certainly wouldn't call AP Sci-Fi. And going by their own criteria, several of the other games shouldn't have made the cut either. And c'mon, Buck Rogers and Space Rangers 2 should be on that list.

TomRon

SasqWatch
Original Sin Donor

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)

March 14th, 2019, 17:37
It's curious that a "decently good" shooter like Dishonored made the list (is that sci-fi even?) but the absolute masterpiece that is Bioshock (or Bioshock 2, or hell, even Bioshock Infinite) aren't there. Deus Ex #1, really? Not a very good list in my book.

Nereida

Watcher

March 14th, 2019, 19:56
Originally Posted by Couchpotato View Post
It's a good list of games but it shows that traditional story driven RPGs are not the star anymore. As nowadays every game has RPG mechanics or elements at least.

A good list, indeed. I've played some games, others I didn't. But the only game in that list I would never play is South Park. I just can't like it.
--
Sou tricolor de coração!

Sie sind das Essen und Wir sind die Jäger!

henriquejr

SasqWatch
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)

March 14th, 2019, 20:04
What, no love for Albion?

Cacheperl

Keeper of the Watch
RPGWatch Donor

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)

March 14th, 2019, 20:14
No Buck Rogers and no Albion….well, in my opinion that list is at best mediocre.

Carnifex

SasqWatch

March 14th, 2019, 21:41
It's a list I will give them that, and they are always good for conversation, but too many bad choices IMO just make me say . . . what ever.

Dajjer

SasqWatch
Original Sin Donor

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)

March 14th, 2019, 22:42
I didn't watch the video, but it sounds like they need to learn that sci-fi and post-apocalyptic are not the same genre.

JDR13

SasqWatch
Original Sin Donor

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)

March 14th, 2019, 23:24
Originally Posted by JDR13 View Post
I didn't watch the video, but it sounds like they need to learn that sci-fi and post-apocalyptic are not the same genre.
It's a sub genre of sci-fi… its like having some best-of-list of "rock music" and include songs that are "hard rock". big deal.

I guess they could have called the list "16 best sci-fi (and its sub genres) RPG's". In fact they probably should since i feel many RPG fans are very anal people and will take every chance to point out things like this

Anyways, good/decent list, actually.
--
"Andreas has went through all software related bugs. He has come to the conclusion that the hardware, the mothermodem - the heart of the hard drive, does not work."
- Swedish SAF magazine, 1994.

vurt

serial 𝓶𝓸𝓭𝓭𝓮𝓻𝓮𝓻

March 14th, 2019, 23:31
Originally Posted by vurt View Post
It's a sub genre of sci-fi… its like having some best-of-list of "rock music" and include songs that are "hard rock". big deal.
Cool, but I'm pretty sure most gamers aren't thinking of games like Stalker and Wasteland 2 when they see a headline that says "Best Sci-fi RPGs". And they definitely aren't thinking of Alpha Protocol.

I'm guessing they only included them because of how few pure Sci-fi RPGs actually exist and because they were trying to keep the list somewhat modern.

JDR13

SasqWatch
Original Sin Donor

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)

March 14th, 2019, 23:37
Originally Posted by JDR13 View Post
I'm guessing they only included them because of how few pure Sci-fi RPGs actually exist and because they were trying to keep the list somewhat modern.
Yes.

I thought Alpha Protocol was sci-fi (some weapons or skills at least?), but i never played that game.
--
"Andreas has went through all software related bugs. He has come to the conclusion that the hardware, the mothermodem - the heart of the hard drive, does not work."
- Swedish SAF magazine, 1994.

vurt

serial 𝓶𝓸𝓭𝓭𝓮𝓻𝓮𝓻

RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » General News - 16 Best Sci Fi RPGs