|
Your donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » CrossCode - An Action RPG Classic

Default CrossCode - An Action RPG Classic

March 15th, 2019, 14:10
A Gamingbolt editorial on CrossCode, that they call an action RPG classic.

To say anything more would be to spoil some of CrossCode's best moments. Besides, this a story you're best left to take in at a comfortable pace, spending time with its characters and ironically forgetting yourself in the world of CrossWorlds. The world design is utterly impeccable in this regard, channeling the 2D aesthetic of old-school role-playing games with seemingly little effort at all. CrossWorlds slowly opens up, introducing you to the simplistic tutorial dungeon before venturing into the first major town, Rookie Harbor.

What's impressive about CrossCode's world design is that, for all intents and purposes, it's acknowledging and yet leveraging the limitation of NPC conversations. Within the context of a video game, seeing all these characters would make for a more immersive experience. The limitations make sense to us - some NPCs have monotone shades in conversation screens or throwaway/cliche dialogue (like the hard-boiled cop not being impressed by Lea's designation as a Seeker) - because this isn't a big-budget MMO. However, when you think about it, this is more or less how things are presented in an MMO. There are throwaway NPC characters who simply exist to dole out quests and whose existences are forgotten the second you move away. Their dialogue and characterization usually is cliched. CrossCode nails both world design from a 16-bit action RPG perspective and the perspective of an MMO, becoming a meta-commentary by the simple handling of its premise.

[…]
More information.

Silver

Spaceman
RPGWatch Team

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)

March 15th, 2019, 14:19
Obviously I wasn't born in a family speaking english.
Seems after checking numerous dictionaries however I still fail to understand the word "classic". I know what it means in my own language, but seems it's not the same in english. In other words, I don't see any classic up there.
--
Toka Koka

joxer

The Smoker
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

Mentioned: 110 Post(s)
+1:

March 15th, 2019, 14:35
I've heard nothing but great comments about this game over the years, but it always seemed a bit too action-y for my liking. If I remember right it even made it over to steam last year or the year before.

Carnifex

SasqWatch

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)

March 15th, 2019, 14:50
Followed the game and posted about since it first launched on IndieGoGo. Now I only have to find time to play it as my interest is elsewhere in the last few years.
--
"Not every game is crap, but most of them are. I said it so it's true." - Couchpotato

Check out my RPG News Thread usually updated daily.

Couchpotato

Grumpy Potato

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)

March 15th, 2019, 15:34
Calling a 2016 JRPG that not heard much a classic is new. I'm playing and enjoying Shadows Awakening right now. So that makes it a classic too?
--
"Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it."
Terry Pratchett, Reaper Man

Gokyabgu

Keeper of the Watch
Original Sin 2 Donor

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)

March 15th, 2019, 15:43
Originally Posted by Gokyabgu View Post
Calling a 2016 JRPG that not heard much a classic is new. I'm playing and enjoying Shadows Awakening right now. So that makes it a classic too?
Well, yes, if you believe it to qualify based the 1st definition of the word "classic" …

"1. Of the first or highest quality, class, or rank:"

I don't think age has anything to do with it in this context and whether a game is a "classic" is very much in the eyes of the beholder.

Speaking of which, I believe "Eye of the Beholder" to be a classic

tekulte

Watcher

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
+1:

March 15th, 2019, 22:04
CrossCode isn't a JRPG, neither by the genre nor by the dev.

CrossCode isn't 2016, it's been released end of 2018.

It's a single player MMORPG story centric, action and puzzles based.

Dasale

SasqWatch

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » CrossCode - An Action RPG Classic