KotOR 3 - Obsidian's KotOR 3 - RPGWatch Forums
|
Your donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » KotOR 3 - Obsidian's KotOR 3

Default KotOR 3 - Obsidian's KotOR 3

April 15th, 2019, 11:44
VG24/7 talked to Chris Avellone about Obsidian's Knights of the Old Republic 3.

"The third game involved you, as a player character, following where Revan went and then taking the battle to the really ancient Sith lords who are far more terrifying than the Darths that show up. These guys would just be monsters. These would have a level of power that was considerable, but at the same time you'd be able to dig more into their psychologies, and their personalities, their history, and even how they dealt with the player, how they talk with the player, the different powers they cultivated and developed, and for some of them like - they're the ancients, so they're not just ruling a solar system, [but] swathes of the galaxy.

[…]
More information.

Silver

Spaceman
RPGWatch Team

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)

April 15th, 2019, 11:53
Reading these articles just brings back the misery of knowing EA will never fund a part III. Due to not being profitable and Disney retconning the Star Wars Timeline.
--
"Remember EA thinks Single-player games are dead & gamers are all basically idiots."

Check out my news Thread it's updated weekly.

Couchpotato

Anti-EA Supporter

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
+1:

April 15th, 2019, 13:36
Also yes I know BioWare still updates their F2P MMO but it's not KotOR 3. Not even close. I also don't like what they did to the Revan arc in that game. I consider it blasphemy.
--
"Remember EA thinks Single-player games are dead & gamers are all basically idiots."

Couchpotato

Anti-EA Supporter

+1:

April 15th, 2019, 14:03
Funding kotor3 makes no sense to EA's CEO. In fact kotors 1 and 2 made no sense to him, not even sure how those two got blessed by that guy.
So forgeddit.
A shame it is, on the other hand, if they were working on that, we wouldn't see Outer Worlds.

The silly mmo obviously still milks $. Don't ask me how's that even possible today, I mean, all whales were supposed to move to phones in order to win by paying.
--
Toka Koka

joxer

The Smoker
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

Mentioned: 128 Post(s)

April 15th, 2019, 14:06
I believe by recently adding Bastila, Jedi Revan, Darth Revan, Darth Malek and many other KOTOR characters to the EA SWGOH phone game, they have made the KOTOR timeline cannon.

Not sure if that is true, but it wouldn't make sense adding them if they weren't going to be canon now.

ds77

Watcher

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)

April 15th, 2019, 14:15
Originally Posted by Couchpotato View Post
Disney retconning the Star Wars Timeline.
They have been bringing more and more stuff from the KoTOR era into canon the last few years (Rataka and Rataka Prime, Revan, what happened to Taris among others).

Disney's Star Wars is quite different from the old one and I get the feeling it doesn't work too well with old fans. I rarely see fans praising the new stuff online and going by episode 9 trailer's ending, Disney seems to have pushed the salvage button already.
--
It's developer is owned by Sony which means it'll remain a hostage of inferior hardware. ~ joxer

azarhal

SasqWatch
Original Sin Donor

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)

April 15th, 2019, 14:30
the Rebels show really shined IMO. It added a lot of good lore to the SW universe.

ds77

Watcher

April 15th, 2019, 15:06
Originally Posted by ds77 View Post
the Rebels show really shined IMO. It added a lot of good lore to the SW universe.
I'm pretty sure that was in pre-production before Disney had legal hold over the IP and formulated any plan of where they wanted to go with it considering it was announced in May 2013 and the main character sculpts were done before June 2013 (as the guy who did them left that month). And it was done by the Clone Wars team too.
--
It's developer is owned by Sony which means it'll remain a hostage of inferior hardware. ~ joxer

azarhal

SasqWatch
Original Sin Donor

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)

April 16th, 2019, 18:27
they’re the ancients, so they’re not just ruling a solar system, [but] swathes of the galaxy.
Of course, no-one would attribute that to Jedi, to "the good ones" … It is so fully against modern narration techniques (as it appears to me) to have good aligned "ancients" like this, just look at Ctulhu …

It's like with Blofeld. No good aligned character would be such a long-term ruler. It's forbidden in storytelling, it seems to me. "Ancients" are always badass bad ones.
--
"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." (E.F.Schumacher, Economist, Source)

Alrik Fassbauer

TL;DR
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)

April 18th, 2019, 06:41
I haven't been following the news recently. Why Avellone is talking about previous plans of KoTor 3? Is there a possibility of that happening?

gabrielarantest

Stubborn Dwarf

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

April 18th, 2019, 21:41
Well don't get your hopes up but Disney might fund a sequel.

Link - https://www.gameinformer.com/2019/04…e-old-republic
Star Wars: Knights of the Republic is one of the most popular Star Wars video games to date, empowering players with the ability to venture down the light or dark side of the force in an era set 4,000 years before the Empire came to power. While delivering a powerful Star Wars fantasy, Knights of the Old Republic is also praised for its story, which delivered one hell of a plot twist.

Although Knights of the Old Republic received a sequel, was adapted into comic books, and it's setting was later explored in The Old Republic MMO, fans have long wanted to see it leap to the silver screen for a live-action film. At this year's Star Wars Celebration, MTV News' Josh Horowitz interviewed Lucasfilm's president Kathleen Kennedy, and asked her if Knights of the Old Republic was something they were considering for the future. "You know, we talk about that all the time," Kennedy said. "Yes, we are developing something to look at. Right now, I have no idea where things might fall, but we have to be careful that there is a cadence to Star Wars that doesn't start to feel like too much."
So will it be Obsidian who is now owned by Microsoft, or will it be an EA studio again?
--

Last edited by Couchpotato; April 18th, 2019 at 21:57.

Couchpotato

Anti-EA Supporter

April 19th, 2019, 00:36
Originally Posted by Alrik Fassbauer View Post
Of course, no-one would attribute that to Jedi, to "the good ones" It is so fully against modern narration techniques (as it appears to me) to have good aligned "ancients" like this, just look at Ctulhu

It's like with Blofeld. No good aligned character would be such a long-term ruler. It's forbidden in storytelling, it seems to me. "Ancients" are always badass bad ones.
Cthulhu is modern? It was created by Lovecraft in 1928.

Kos

Watcher

April 19th, 2019, 01:21
That article is based on this 3-minute interview: https://twitter.com/MTVNEWS/status/1118270840989192192

Relevant part is about 10-15 seconds long, starting at 1:28. The interviewee is a film producer, and the interview was about TV shows and movies, not games.

The speculation there that there might be a game coming is based on absolutely nothing.

Stingray

SasqWatch
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)

April 19th, 2019, 04:20
Yes it's pure speculation that spurs hope but probably wont happen. On a side note future movies might take place in that setting based on a few recent interviews.
--

Last edited by Couchpotato; April 19th, 2019 at 04:56.

Couchpotato

Anti-EA Supporter

April 19th, 2019, 19:40
Originally Posted by Couchpotato View Post
Well don't get your hopes up but Disney might fund a sequel.

Link - https://www.gameinformer.com/2019/04…e-old-republicSo will it be Obsidian who is now owned by Microsoft, or will it be an EA studio again?
Thanks. After watching this interview I'm still confused. What did she mean by "we talk about that all the time"?

To me, it seems that they have no plans for KOTOR at all. She just did not want to look bad for their fanbase…

But even if I'm wrong and they are planning something, it is not clear if they are talking about a game, a movie, or something else.

gabrielarantest

Stubborn Dwarf

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

April 20th, 2019, 09:45
Yeah, I don't get the impression that something's up. I think it's all corporate talk.

Maylander

SasqWatch
Original Sin Donor

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Send a message via MSN to Maylander
RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » KotOR 3 - Obsidian's KotOR 3