Wasteland 3 - Building Up the Ranger Force - RPGWatch Forums
|
Your donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » Wasteland 3 - Building Up the Ranger Force

Default Wasteland 3 - Building Up the Ranger Force

May 14th, 2019, 22:53
A new update for Wasteland 3 demonstrates the character building process and announces an E3 presense.

Building Up the Ranger Force

Communications Wasteland

It's been a while since our last update, and that's because we've been hard at work on Wasteland 3, and getting a lot of the core pieces of the game in-place. As we've said before, the game is effectively playable from start to finish--but there's still a megaton of work left to go. Sure, you can complete quests and navigate most of the areas, but this is the most time-intensive stretch of the project. We have the bones--the skeleton is there--but it's filling it with all the sinew, cartilage, and guts that really make the Wasteland experience what it is. Things are really shaping up, but the most critical work is just getting started. We've been hiring and growing the company, as well as putting a lot of the new Microsoft development resources to good use, and that's going to help us be able to make Wasteland 3 even bigger and better.

We'll have development updates to share during E3, so look forward to our next update with more specifics then.

Face to Face in the Wasteland

As you saw in our Fig campaign launch trailer, Wasteland 3 is the first game in the series to feature a cinematic conversation system. It gets you up close and personal with the big story characters you'll encounter in Colorado, and one of those is MacTavish. He's a coarse, blustering mechanic in Colorado Springs, who wears a luchador mask because . . . well . . . you'll have to wait and see.

In this update we wanted to share some of the process that's going into bringing this character to life. First it starts with a character pitch or write-up, and from those largely text-based descriptions the artists work up concepts and shape studies to hone on in a final look and design for the character's appearance and style. In an effort to not spoil too much we'll skip ahead a bit to his final concept piece.

Once we have a concept done we'll move on to a high-poly model like this one, which we'll break down into the pieces that will help give it a high quality appearance in-game, but without requiring a super-computer to render. After that comes mocap, and then the voice recording we've done is married to that with final animations.

This is a look at his masked face model, which isn't too far from what you'll see in-game. We'll have more to share on MacTavish in the future, as well as the creative process for bringing some of our other characters to life.

[…]
More information.

Silver

Spaceman
RPGWatch Team

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)

May 14th, 2019, 23:50
I'm guessing mid 2020 /early 2021 for a possible release?

Since it sounds that way based on these updates.
--
"Remember EA thinks Single-player games are dead & gamers are all basically idiots."

Check out my news Thread it's updated weekly.

Couchpotato

Anti-EA Supporter

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)

May 15th, 2019, 00:28
I was really hoping this year

skally_wag

Watchdog

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

May 15th, 2019, 00:47
No problem, I'm excited about this one and I want to see them take their time to get it right. It ain't like I don't have a 35-game backlog.
--
"But if it's a battle," he said, "which side is which?"
"If it's a battle," said Lilac.

Hexprone

Thou hast lost an eighth!

May 15th, 2019, 01:02
It says Q4 2019 on the Fig page. That still gives them 6 months or so to get the game completed.

I pre-ordered this a good long while ago so I'm excited about it. Not thrilled with the snowy setting this time, but the rest of the features sounds pretty cool, like a new conversation system.
--
To check out my games library, and see what recent games I'm playing, visit my steam profile! -- http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197982351404

Arkadia7

Keeper of the Watch
Original Sin 2 Donor

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)

May 15th, 2019, 01:07
Originally Posted by Arkadia7 View Post
It says Q4 2019 on the Fig page. That still gives them 6 months or so to get the game completed.
Yes but those dates are never accurate and they still need to beta test it.
--
"Remember EA thinks Single-player games are dead & gamers are all basically idiots."

Check out my news Thread it's updated weekly.

Couchpotato

Anti-EA Supporter

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)

May 15th, 2019, 02:27
I'm trying to keep my expectations in check for this one, but I'm hoping they hit a home run with the project. Wasteland two was pretty decent, and topping that one won't be easily done.

Carnifex

SasqWatch

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)

May 15th, 2019, 06:10
Will this be released as Wasteland 2 was, which was kind of lame… Or will this be released in Wasteland 2 Director's Cut quality, which was awesome?

ChaosTheory

Virtual Reality Hero

Location: In Jan 2019 I sold my house, left my career of 18 years, bought an RV, and am traveling America.
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)

May 15th, 2019, 06:31
Originally Posted by ChaosTheory View Post
Will this be released as Wasteland 2 was, which was kind of lame… Or will this be released in Wasteland 2 Director's Cut quality, which was awesome?
Wasteland 2 was kind of lame in any version I suppose
I was very underwhelmed when it came out..

gabrielarantest

Stubborn Dwarf

May 15th, 2019, 06:51
Originally Posted by gabrielarantest View Post
Wasteland 2 was kind of lame in any version I suppose
I was very underwhelmed when it came out..
As was I. I put it aside until the Director's Cut came out and it was loads better. It added A LOT of content, bug fixes, etc and ended up being an outstanding game.

ChaosTheory

Virtual Reality Hero

Location: In Jan 2019 I sold my house, left my career of 18 years, bought an RV, and am traveling America.
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)

May 15th, 2019, 07:51
Did not read it yet, but do the skill/stat descriptions make sense now? Do you know what affects which? Without consulting internet guides it was practically impossible to make a good char for a certain role in WL2. The toaster skill was still a waste…

Darkheart

Keeper of the Watch
Original Sin 2 Donor

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)

May 15th, 2019, 10:51
With MS money they may be able to finish the game in time. But i would rather have them taking their time and have a more polished launch than being on time with a buggy release.

wolfsrain

Sentinel

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)

May 15th, 2019, 11:38
I am glad to have completely avoid total trainwrecks WasteOfTimeLand 1-2 and now 3 of that SHT train.

mercy

SasqWatch

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)

May 15th, 2019, 16:23
Yeah if you had a poor experience with the first version of Wasteland two, you should give it a try on the most recent. This was another one of those games that reminded me that you shouldn't jump into new games the moment they are released, better to wait for updates and fixes and be less frustrated.

Carnifex

SasqWatch

May 15th, 2019, 16:34
Well, count me in the "enjoyed Wasteland 2: director's cut" camp. Really, the game's only flaw was its companions - both in their lack of interplay with the storyline and how their skills were set up. It was difficult to plan a squad with full skill coverage without researching/spoiling what was covered by recruitable npcs. Otherwise, I found it to be a great game and one of the more enjoyable RPGs from the last few years.

Drithius

Laughing Gnome

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)

May 15th, 2019, 17:26
I really hate kitty litter.

rjshae

Periapt vs Paronomasia
RPGWatch Donor

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)

May 15th, 2019, 17:40
I didn't play the director's cut. But I believe in ya. It makes sense, Pathfinder Kingmaker is the same thing, after the patches the game is way better. Even though the thing that I most hate about WL was its graphics. Boy, that game was ugly!

gabrielarantest

Stubborn Dwarf

May 15th, 2019, 17:54
But you know what, I think that I'm skeptical about inXile. I didn't like WL2 (in its release state) but I also hate Torment: Tides of Numenera. I played the demo or played in one of those "free weekend" of Steam, don't remember. All I know is that I couldn't play more than 30 min of this game. My impression of the game was that the game is a boring colossal wall of text. And I remember InXile boasting about it: "Torment has the longest script we've ever produced at over 1.2 million words". Don't get me wrong, I do a lot of reading and writting for living, but beign wordy is not considered a good thing in my field.

gabrielarantest

Stubborn Dwarf

May 15th, 2019, 18:33
I enjoyed playing the most recent Torment game, but yeah, it's not one that I'm likely to ever replay, unlike the original game.

Carnifex

SasqWatch

+1:
RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » Wasteland 3 - Building Up the Ranger Force