Phoenix Point - Releasing September 3rd - RPGWatch Forums
|
Your donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » Phoenix Point - Releasing September 3rd

Default Phoenix Point - Releasing September 3rd

June 11th, 2019, 21:03
@BluesNews Phoenix Point will be releasing September 3rd through the Epic Game Store.

loading…

Snapshot Games announced today as part of Microsoft's Inside Xbox presentation that Phoenix Point, the upcoming sci-fi strategy game from the creator of the original X-COM series, is expected to launch on Sept. 3, 2019, on the Microsoft Store and with Xbox Game Pass for console and PC, as well as the Epic Games store for PC and Mac.

A new cinematic trailer titled "Next Life" sets the stage for the changing face of war in Phoenix Point. Led by a massive Alien Queen, the game's enemies transform and evolve according to the choices players make over time. Given the power to mutate their own troops to gain an advantage, Earth's last desperate defenders will have to decide how much humanity they're willing to sacrifice to save mankind from this ever-changing extraterrestrial threat.

More information.

Silver

Spaceman
RPGWatch Team

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)

June 11th, 2019, 23:13
September 3rd 2020 will be the official release…

basharran

Sentinel
Original Sin 2 Donor

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)

June 12th, 2019, 00:54
Can't wait. Should be as fun to play as XCOM 2. Played some of the recent backer build and to me it could use a lot more dev time…hopefully not 2020 though!

Arkayne

Traveler

June 12th, 2019, 10:43
Originally Posted by basharran View Post
September 3rd 2020 will be the official release…
In more ways than you suggest. Judging by the state of current backer betas there is no chance they can deliver a 100% complete, polished and balanced game by September 2nd 2019.

Epic store release will just be a 1 year Early Access in all but name.

Archangel

SasqWatch

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)

June 12th, 2019, 11:15
No RPG'ish game is ever truly completed these days until at least 6 months after release anyway, usually more like a year. Epic might actually be doing the Steam-only crowd a favor by removing incomplete games from their grasp.

Stingray

SasqWatch
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
+1:

June 12th, 2019, 13:30
These folks showed how to handle the epic exclusive correctly (not that i like it); unlike the shame-u 3 folks. They were honest about why they did it and they are providing keys on preferred platform after the exclusive period. Anyway i'll play it in 2020

you

Lazy_dog
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)

June 12th, 2019, 13:31
Yes, down with Epic!

You guys are so edgy.

JDR13

SasqWatch
Original Sin Donor

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)

June 12th, 2019, 16:10
Oh boy, September 3, 2020 here I come!!
--
contributed to: Age of Decadence | Dead State | Dungeon Rats | Battle Brothers | Fell Seal:Arbiter's Mark
working on: Colony Ship RPG | Stygian:Reign of the Old Ones | Encased | ATOM RPG | Realms Beyond

screeg

floating head

June 12th, 2019, 16:38
Originally Posted by JDR13 View Post
Yes, down with Epic!

You guys are so edgy.
Off topic:
Spoiler

On topic: How good do you guys who played the early access/beta think this will be once it is polished? Does it have good potential?

SveNitoR

Sentinel

+1:

June 13th, 2019, 08:47
Epic is good! It gave them super essential money! They can hire extra work and finish on time!!

Fully patched, DLC-ed 2020 (Year of Cyberpunk)

mercy

SasqWatch

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)

June 13th, 2019, 14:44
Originally Posted by SveNitoR View Post
Off topic:
Spoiler
I don't see how that's true..? A game being workshop enabled isn't the same as DRM. I too really dislike DRM (I make an exception for the Steam client, since the games can still be played with the client off). One game I refused to purchase on Steam *because* of DRM, Mutant:Year Zero, later dropped the DRM and then I purchased it.
--
contributed to: Age of Decadence | Dead State | Dungeon Rats | Battle Brothers | Fell Seal:Arbiter's Mark
working on: Colony Ship RPG | Stygian:Reign of the Old Ones | Encased | ATOM RPG | Realms Beyond

screeg

floating head

June 13th, 2019, 18:07
Originally Posted by screeg View Post
I don't see how that's true..? A game being workshop enabled isn't the same as DRM. I too really dislike DRM (I make an exception for the Steam client, since the games can still be played with the client off). One game I refused to purchase on Steam *because* of DRM, Mutant:Year Zero, later dropped the DRM and then I purchased it.
Yes, some (many?) games can be played without the client. My point is that steam has games which are exclusive forever due to using the steam drm, or being more or less mandatory to buy there due to certain features being steam exclusive.

For example: If a mod is only on steam workshop, can I download it somehow without having the game on steam? (honest question - if it is possible then this specific point is moot)

Or if I want to buy a game on GoG, but the multi-player isn't cross platform, do I really want to limit myself to the smaller user base?

Steams dominance makes them the default option for most people, which in turn makes them even more dominant.

I am not anti-steam (or any platform really); I just prefer using my economic power to buy from other alternatives that I prefer to support instead (preferably GoG or other alternatives which offer completely DRM free games). I used to buy most of my games on steam (I've got maybe 300 games only on steam) mostly due to it being more comfortable.

I personally don't see epic as worse than steam. Both are companies aiming to make money, none of them are the good (or bad) guys, in my opinion.

SveNitoR

Sentinel

June 13th, 2019, 18:43
Yes, some (many?) games can be played without the client. My point is that steam has games which are exclusive forever due to using the steam drm, or being more or less mandatory to buy there due to certain features being steam exclusive.

For example: If a mod is only on steam workshop, can I download it somehow without having the game on steam? (honest question - if it is possible then this specific point is moot)

Or if I want to buy a game on GoG, but the multi-player isn't cross platform, do I really want to limit myself to the smaller user base?

Steams dominance makes them the default option for most people, which in turn makes them even more dominant.

I am not anti-steam (or any platform really); I just prefer using my economic power to buy from other alternatives that I prefer to support instead (preferably GoG or other alternatives which offer completely DRM free games). I used to buy most of my games on steam (I've got maybe 300 games only on steam) mostly due to it being more comfortable.

I personally don't see epic as worse than steam. Both are companies aiming to make money, none of them are the good (or bad) guys, in my opinion.
You seem to be penalizing steam for having the most feature rich client.

This is the reason i use steam over the other clients. I personally donít care about DRM so that doesnít factor in to my decision.

I keep hearing that epic needs to buy these exclusives to compete but itís false competition. Unless and until they offer a client on par with steam they will not be competition but they will end up just like all the other non steam clients. A place to buy only exclusives and then buy everything else on steam.

Steam had a huge advantage by being first to market but they also have spent a lot of time and Money to offer features that others cant or are just unwilling to offer.

Epic should stop spending money on exclusive and use the money to offer a client that Iím compelled to make my go to client. Rather then Forcing me to use it because thereís no other immediate option.

sakichop

SasqWatch
Original Sin Donor

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)

June 13th, 2019, 20:15
Originally Posted by sakichop View Post
You seem to be penalizing steam for having the most feature rich client.

This is the reason i use steam over the other clients. I personally donít care about DRM so that doesnít factor in to my decision.

I keep hearing that epic needs to buy these exclusives to compete but itís false competition. Unless and until they offer a client on par with steam they will not be competition but they will end up just like all the other non steam clients. A place to buy only exclusives and then buy everything else on steam.

Steam had a huge advantage by being first to market but they also have spent a lot of time and Money to offer features that others cant or are just unwilling to offer.

Epic should stop spending money on exclusive and use the money to offer a client that Iím compelled to make my go to client. Rather then Forcing me to use it because thereís no other immediate option.
I don't penalize Steam at all. I just prefer to buy games from companies more aligned with my preferences (preferably DRM-free and as little control as possible over what I do with my purchase).

The only features I want are cloud saves and easy ways to update the game. Of course I want the storefront to be decent as well. The rest I consider unnecessary.

I'm happy that Epic came along, because they shook things up a bit and made me make a move towards buying more games from stores I like better, instead of continuing to do what I used to do.

When it comes to exclusives I personally don't care if it is excluded from Steam. If I have to buy it with DRM I just care that the company is big enough to not have to close down and make me lose my games. I would buy from Epic if I really wanted a game they have, but I haven't yet.

I understand and respect why a lot of people dislike exclusives, but it is not a big deal for me.

SveNitoR

Sentinel

June 13th, 2019, 20:55
I'm really looking forward to playing this, will hold off and wait for reviews and watch opinions before I jump in though.

Cool trailer, but I didn't really feel the music. It seemes to want to capture the feeling of some blockbuster titles that have used some melancholic pop songs in their marketing, but I think they could've picked something with wider dynamics to have a proper crescendo somewhere in there.
Last edited by TomRon; June 13th, 2019 at 22:57.

TomRon

SasqWatch
Original Sin Donor

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)

June 13th, 2019, 21:54
Just a note on Epic:
Where Epic is lacking for me is in the refund part. I used it once and it has been a pain in the butt. For me who like to try a bit the games when I am not sure, it is a big negative point.

Kos

Watcher

June 13th, 2019, 22:02
You are one confused puppy. There are quite a few games with workshop that are sold on other platforms; they just don't get workshop. Workshop is an optional feature and if a game supports it and you want it then of course you need steam since this is 'steam' workshop not some generic workshop.
-
However - steam does not require the developers/publishers to only publish on steam - like epic is doing. epic is actually requiring exclusive engagement (for some $$); this is very different. I'm kind of shocked that you are so incredibly dense you don't see the difference.
-
Yes the developer (or publisher) is making the decision to sign the contract offered by epic but steam is not performing the same kind of bribe nor is steam requiring that you limit your product to steam if you choose to use some features provided by steam (those features may not work if you release it on another platform like gog) but you can still release the game on the other platform(s) of your choice.

you

Lazy_dog
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor

June 14th, 2019, 05:41
Originally Posted by you View Post
You are one confused puppy. There are quite a few games with workshop that are sold on other platforms; they just don't get workshop. Workshop is an optional feature and if a game supports it and you want it then of course you need steam since this is 'steam' workshop not some generic workshop.
You seem to be the one who's confused. Read his post again. He didn't say that games using Steam workshop were only sold on Steam. He asked if it was possible to use a workshop mod for a non-steam version of the game.

Originally Posted by you View Post
However - steam does not require the developers/publishers to only publish on steam - like epic is doing. epic is actually requiring exclusive engagement (for some $$); this is very different. I'm kind of shocked that you are so incredibly dense you don't see the difference.
I'm pretty sure he understands what an exclusive is. He's just not dense enough to decry it as something evil.

JDR13

SasqWatch
Original Sin Donor

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
+1:

June 14th, 2019, 12:23
Here read:

----
He is claiming that using steam features lock the developer/publisher into only releasing their games on steam (if the features is used).
-
I'm glad to know you like companies that reduce consumer choices. I'm sure you support corporation that defraud and rip off consumers with shady practices. I am curious do you run one of those robo spam callers on the side? Sure sounds like it.

Originally Posted by JDR13 View Post
You seem to be the one who's confused. Read his post again. He didn't say that games using Steam workshop were only sold on Steam. He asked if it was possible to use a workshop mod for a non-steam version of the game.

I'm pretty sure he understands what an exclusive is. He's just not dense enough to decry it as something evil.

you

Lazy_dog
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor

June 14th, 2019, 13:14
Originally Posted by TomRon View Post
I'm really looking forward to playing this, will hold off and wait for reviews and watch opinions before I jump in though.
After watching streams, it is going to be a mine. The product is a complexified version of XCOM 2, for the sake of complexifying.

Going to be a mine.
--
Backlog:0

ChienAboyeur

SasqWatch

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
+1:
RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » Phoenix Point - Releasing September 3rd