|
Your donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » Kingmaker - Turn-based Combat Mod

Default Kingmaker - Turn-based Combat Mod

July 9th, 2019, 20:43
A turn-based combat mod for Pathfinder: Kingmaker is now available on Nexus:

Turn-Based Combat Beta - Pathfinder Kingmaker

loading…

• It's recommended to turn off AI for better experience when using the turn-based combat feature.
  • This mod is experimental, but close to release. I have tested a ton of things, but not every things, so be cautious, please.
  • All mod features only take effect in turn-based combat, and should be auto muted when in real time.
  • There is a to-do list on the bottom that listed what I'm working on.
More information.

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
RPGWatch Team
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)

July 9th, 2019, 20:54
I am not using any mods, but this game is amazing. The kingdom management part is a bit tedious at times, but the combat and story is top notch. I am loving this game. Go buy it!

ds77

Watcher

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)

July 9th, 2019, 21:19
I still need to go back and complete this game, I'll probably do that maybe in autumn, I hope this turn-based model will be available for the great old games version.

Carnifex

SasqWatch

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)

July 9th, 2019, 21:27
Oh great, so instead of 90 hours of play you can stretch it out to 180.

rjshae

Periapt vs Paronomasia
RPGWatch Donor

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)

July 9th, 2019, 21:45
Originally Posted by rjshae View Post
Oh great, so instead of 90 hours of play you can stretch it out to 180.
Actually, it took me 380 hours to finish this game. It was fun for me, so, I don't mind stretching it. BTW, I really like the idea of this mod, I'm going to test it once it is fully released.

gabrielarantest

Stubborn Dwarf

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

July 9th, 2019, 23:26
Didn't this game get an official patch with Turn-Based mode recently? Or am I confounding games here?
--
Sou tricolor de coração!

Sie sind das Essen und Wir sind die Jäger!

henriquejr

SasqWatch
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor

July 9th, 2019, 23:38
Originally Posted by henriquejr View Post
Didn't this game get an official patch with Turn-Based mode recently? Or am I confounding games here?
PoE2 got that patch.

tekulte

Watchdog

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)

July 9th, 2019, 23:42
Originally Posted by tekulte View Post
PoE2 got that patch.
Ah ok. Thank you!
--
Sou tricolor de coração!

Sie sind das Essen und Wir sind die Jäger!

henriquejr

SasqWatch
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor

July 10th, 2019, 01:52
All mod features only take effect in turn-based combat, and should be auto muted when in real time.
It sounds like you can switch between Turns and RTwP modes!?
--
The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common: instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views….
-- Doctor Who in "Face of Evil"

Zloth

I smell a… wumpus!?

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)

July 10th, 2019, 02:21
Originally Posted by gabrielarantest View Post
Actually, it took me 380 hours to finish this game. It was fun for me, so, I don't mind stretching it. BTW, I really like the idea of this mod, I'm going to test it once it is fully released.
Wow, mine only took 150ish hours lol.

Originally Posted by Zloth View Post
It sounds like you can switch between Turns and RTwP modes!?
Yes, that's what I heard too. I know some people love this mod but some are so disrepectful, saying this mod "saved" the game. I think Kingmaker is great as it is and Owlcat deserves credit.
--
Favourite RPGs: Baldur's Gate II, NWN: The Aielund Saga, Pathfinder: Kingmaker, Icewind Dale I, Stardew Valley

purpleblob

Princess

Mentioned: 73 Post(s)

July 10th, 2019, 03:20
This mod is getting a lot of good comments on the nexus site. It apparently still needs some small tweaks (and the mod author seems to be willing to keep working on it which is good) but looks very promising so far!
--
To check out my games library, and see what recent games I'm playing, visit my steam profile! -- http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197982351404

Arkadia7

Keeper of the Watch
Original Sin 2 Donor

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)

July 10th, 2019, 05:02
Only concern is game is balanced for real time in mind so switching to TB could double the time to play. I like TB better though. Played this a little, find the companions annoying but other than that seems good.

Saxon1974

Keeper of the Watch

July 10th, 2019, 05:37
Originally Posted by purpleblob View Post
Wow, mine only took 150ish hours lol.
I enjoy exploring everything the game has to offer, so I'm probably an outlier.

I hope this mod is as fun as RTwP. I like both, but one thing bothers me a lot in RTwP: I'm always playing with the casters of my party. In RTwP you don't have time in battle to pay attention to the non-spellcasters. Everything happens too fast to enjoy the fighters.

gabrielarantest

Stubborn Dwarf

July 10th, 2019, 07:03
If this mod works, I know what I will do this Autumn!

Darkheart

SasqWatch
Original Sin 2 Donor

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)

July 10th, 2019, 07:41
Originally Posted by Saxon1974 View Post
Only concern is game is balanced for real time in mind so switching to TB could double the time to play. I like TB better though. Played this a little, find the companions annoying but other than that seems good.
Only if they don't allow you to speed up animations.

In PoE, battle length was mostly the same in TB / RTwP (on the hardest difficulty, anyway, no idea why anyone would play it on the other easy three…) since you would constantly pause the RTwP mode anyway and TB does have the sped up animation slider.
Though it was slower in the end in some fights, because even with the sped up animations, some monsters would still move slow as fuck - waiting for a handful of slow-ass zombies to do their movement turn is painful… they should have put in a minimum movement speed for TB. Oh, well…

RTwP is really only much faster in general if the battles are so easy that you can just leave everyone on auto-attack and maybe cast the occasional spell yourself. If the combat is challenging, you need the time to give commands to everyone, and that doesn't go faster either way. Which leaves only simultaneous movement as something that is innately faster in RTwP, but sped up animations in TB usually make up for that.
Last edited by TheSHEEEP; July 10th, 2019 at 07:52.

TheSHEEEP

Sentinel

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
+1:

July 10th, 2019, 10:19
If you want the King of Turn-Based games, play XPiratez. So complex that beats everything.

mercy

SasqWatch

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
+1:

July 10th, 2019, 10:37
I simply cant imagine someone right in mind playing this game in TB mode! It has already enough of dragging mechanics, like Kingdom management or resting, to go now through every trash mob battle after battle in TB mode! Especially if it all depends on crit score and save game scumming - didn't get big crit - wipe, reload and sit there again for 5 min in hopes for that crit! Really, can someone find fun in this?

Zogar Sag

Watchdog

July 10th, 2019, 12:03
Originally Posted by Zogar Sag View Post
I simply cant imagine someone right in mind playing this game in TB mode! It has already enough of dragging mechanics, like Kingdom management or resting, to go now through every trash mob battle after battle in TB mode! Especially if it all depends on crit score and save game scumming - didn't get big crit - wipe, reload and sit there again for 5 min in hopes for that crit! Really, can someone find fun in this?
There are mods to fix resting and kingdom management, and at least in the case of resting, make it a lot less frequent and easier.

As to who would want to play the game in turn based mode, well, it seems a lot of people want to, and even are saying things like "this saved the game for me!" and gushing about it, saying things like this mod is done so well that its even better than the pillars of eternity implementation of turn based combat, and so on. I will definitely play the game in turn based mode when I eventually play it.

I'm sure it will not be for those who need to rush through or are impatient, but for the patient gamer out there it seems this is a must have.
--
To check out my games library, and see what recent games I'm playing, visit my steam profile! -- http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197982351404

Arkadia7

Keeper of the Watch
Original Sin 2 Donor

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)

July 10th, 2019, 13:10
It should have been made UgoIgo from the start as it delivers very poor RTwP.
What they delivered is closer to auto chess, which is UgoIgo at its core.

Originally Posted by TheSHEEEP View Post
RTwP is really only much faster in general if the battles are so easy that you can just leave everyone on auto-attack and maybe cast the occasional spell yourself.
RTwP is inherently faster for gamers as even the best of the best can not sustain long battles. Players are a limited capacity to sustain a long chain in decision making, a capacity that jumps through the roof once going UgoIgo or PwRT.
If the combat is challenging, you need the time to give commands to everyone, and that doesn't go faster either way.
In what way. Giving commands to everyone does not mean pausing each and every single input to place. Playing RTwP means placing inputs in RT most of the times.
but sped up animations in TB usually make up for that.
Players do not roll dice in these products.
Rolling a die is personal, a player uses their body to generate the random number and the outcome is not immediate, for a second, a second and half, time is suspended as player'seyes are glued on the die waiting for the result.
And thereafter, the check, players must gather the result by themselves.

Rude word on this site: tension. During a roll, players are tense

Animations are a sort of way to try to emulate that suspension in time, that brief moment when players hang to a die rolling.
--
Backlog:0

ChienAboyeur

SasqWatch

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)

July 10th, 2019, 13:15
Originally Posted by Arkadia7 View Post
As to who would want to play the game in turn based mode, well, it seems a lot of people want to, and even are saying things like "this saved the game for me!" and gushing about it, saying things like this mod is done so well that its even better than the pillars of eternity implementation of turn based combat, and so on. I will definitely play the game in turn based mode when I eventually play it.

I'm sure it will not be for those who need to rush through or are impatient, but for the patient gamer out there it seems this is a must have.
I don't think it's just something to do with how "impatient" the person is - I for one just prefer RTwP for the more realistic feel of the combat than chess like TB combat, and I still had "patience" to play the game for over 100 hours, I enjoyed every minutes of it.
--
Favourite RPGs: Baldur's Gate II, NWN: The Aielund Saga, Pathfinder: Kingmaker, Icewind Dale I, Stardew Valley

purpleblob

Princess

Mentioned: 73 Post(s)
RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » Kingmaker - Turn-based Combat Mod