LoA: The Forgotten Crown - Released - RPGWatch Forums
|
Your donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » LoA: The Forgotten Crown - Released

Default LoA: The Forgotten Crown - Released

August 1st, 2019, 19:31
The oldschool RPG Legends of Amberland: The Forgotten Crown has been released:

Version 1.00 released

loading…

Finally, the game leaves Early Access. After several years of working on this (when I add up all the abandoned prototypes, rewrites, reuse of older code and so on, this would be the longest in development game I made), the game is going to be released. I'm quite happy with the state of the game, of course one could always improve something and could do it for another 10, 20 or even 30 years and one still have the filling something more could be added or improved. But one need to call the end one day and push it out of the door for players to enjoy.

What's next. First there are some minor things (linguistic check was not fully completed yet, a few images are still missing and some other cosmetic things need to be done, it will be done in versions above 1.00+ during the next 3 months). So please overlook the minor things during next few months, I'm aware of those and those will be dealt with. But other than that the game is complete. There might be some balance tweaks if needed (especially for Hard and Insane difficulties), interface improvements and other minor things, but I will not touch gameplay (quests, story, world, etc), the game is complete in this regard.

Version 1.00 is mostly polish and last minute changes. There is one important change, monsters can't move through doors now, I believe it adds another layer of thrill and tactics plus it solves some minor problems and inconsistencies.

[…]
More information.

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
RPGWatch Team
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)

August 1st, 2019, 23:30
Looks cute and interesting. Nice music as well. I shall keep it in mind.

lackblogger

retired poster
Original Sin 2 Donor

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)

August 2nd, 2019, 00:04
I'd very much welcome a "mini review" if anyone has given this one a go. It looks to tick a lot of boxes, but I'm just a bit worried it's over-simplistic. A comparison to some M&M games would be nice.

Also, they say it is short, but are we talking 5hr or 30hr?

Irien

Watchdog
Original Sin 2 Donor

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)

August 2nd, 2019, 07:41
Based on the video I wrote to the developer three suggestions to make this game more optimal, but then deleted the post. I ain't helping the competition!

mercy

SasqWatch

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)

August 2nd, 2019, 09:38
This certainly feels like exactly what I'd like… Turn based, no chores and if it is what it should be, I'm expecting to be reminded of the good old days of M&M 3 … Wishlisted for now and on top of the to buy list..

KeepitClean

Watcher

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

August 2nd, 2019, 15:00
Originally Posted by Irien View Post
I'd very much welcome a "mini review" if anyone has given this one a go. It looks to tick a lot of boxes, but I'm just a bit worried it's over-simplistic. A comparison to some M&M games would be nice.

Also, they say it is short, but are we talking 5hr or 30hr?
Reviews say 30-50 hours?
--
Nom Es Memoria.

Void000

August 2nd, 2019, 15:55
This sounds like something that would be right up my alley. I'll likely grab this next time I'm looking for a new game to dive into.

Carnifex

SasqWatch

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)

August 2nd, 2019, 18:57
This game looks like french dogshit. Not impressed at all, but I like the dogs

Budweiser

Traveler

August 2nd, 2019, 19:17
It looks like an interesting game, as I'm a big M&M fan. I'm not a big fan of pixel graphics, but if everything else is good, I'm willing to overlook a game's visuals in most cases.

forgottenlor

Font of Useless Knowledge
RPGWatch Team
RPGWatch Donor

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)

August 2nd, 2019, 20:35
I'm 100% with you forgottenlor… if only they could have done just a *little* more on the gfx front, esp on the close-up monsters. MM3-5 did their best close-up, even if it looks pixellated now. This one seems to relish in "mega-pixels"!

Irien

Watchdog
Original Sin 2 Donor

+1:

August 2nd, 2019, 20:49
When it hits 99, I'll grab it.
--
c-computer, r-role, p-playing, g-game, nut-extreme fan
=crpgnut or just
'nut @crpgnut

crpgnut

Grumpy Role Player
Original Sin Donor

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)

August 4th, 2019, 21:19
I hadn't heard of this one, but it looks interesting. I've picked up a copy, not sure when I'll get to play it though - definitely interested in others' views if you give it a shot.

Pongo

SasqWatch
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)

August 5th, 2019, 04:14
Have been playing this for a couple of hours now and have a lot of fun.

The graphics are a little too rough for me as well, but you get used to it after a bit.

Fights are rather simple but require a tiny bit of tactics, at least on insane difficulty.
And on that difficulty you also need to check where you are actually able to reasonably kill any enemies and proceed. The overworld is actually quite big and offers some exploration options. The dungeons are rather small and simple. You got a mine and an ogre fort. Nothing too exciting, but after having played Bard's Tale I am happy to have a dungeon which makes any sense at all (and isn't just a labyrinth of walls).

There are a couple of very simple quests, the game offers a simple but decent class and item system.

So overall, don't expect anything earth shattering, but so far it's a fun lightweight dungeon crawler with a decent overworld to explore.
--
Doing >Let's Plays< and >Reviews< in German. Latest Review: Pathway
Mostly playing Indie titles, including Strategy, Tactics and Roleplaying-Games.
And here is a list of all games I ever played.

Kordanor

Wastelander

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
+1:
RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » LoA: The Forgotten Crown - Released