Unworthy Life - Sci-Fi Shooter/RPG Announced - RPGWatch Forums
|
Your donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » Unworthy Life - Sci-Fi Shooter/RPG Announced

Default Unworthy Life - Sci-Fi Shooter/RPG Announced

August 8th, 2019, 23:17
The 3D shooter-RPG Unworthy Life is coming to Indiegogo and Kickstarter in the coming months.

First Look at New Sci-fi RPG "Unworthy Life" Coming to PC

Unworthy Life takes place on the fourth planet in the Solar System, one hundred thousand years ago. A technologically advanced society is on the brink of collapse due to the severe and prolonged exploitation of their planet's resources. Ul155e5 is a "clockwork" a robot who works in a factory called "the Mother".
A clockworks salary consists of "cyber-bucks" which is both their currency and what keeps them alive being that cyber-bucks are used as charge for their batteries and to purchase replacement parts. Any excess cyber-bucks a clockwork has they spend on simulations where they can escape their lives and be spirited away to a lush green planet. None of the clockworks are aware of what is produced in "the Mother" and they are too scared to ask. One day, by mistake, accident or fortune, an event occurs in the factory, which challenges the consciousness of Ul155e5 changing its life radically. Upon learning what is produced in "the Mother", Ul155e5 heads down a path of resistance eventually leading it to join a squad of rogue revolutionaries which fight back against "the Mother". Throughout this journey Ul155e5 will experience a number of challenging situations which can be tackled in several different ways. The greatest challenge that awaits Ul155e5 will be to take down the puppet master that controls all of society.

The two brothers behind Unworthy Life set out with the goal of raising the bar of what could be achieved by a two-person indie developer on a first game. Unworthy Life was developed in 3D in 4K within Unity. The game consists entirely of bespoke assets and features an in-depth levelling and upgrade system alongside realistic physics. Elements of the games design are informed by the computer coding, physics modelling and mathematics skills the brothers both picked up from their extensive backgrounds in Aerospace Engineering.

"When we set out to do this in 2014 we were learning from scratch," said the brothers working under the moniker Mechanical Centurion. "There were areas that were entirely new to us and areas that are more similar than you would think. We were able to find answers to problems and ways to supplement our respective skillsets with what we know about mathematics and coding. We designed a software to manipulate existing plants and animals to supplement our drawings and artwork for the Flora and the Fauna. Whilst an understanding of physics, trajectories and simulations helped us in the design of the gameplay and hacking mini-games. Furthermore, we have also been able to use executables, procedural generation and mathematic processes to ensure that gameplay is lightweight and efficient enough for older systems."

Unworthy Life is a story driven 3D RPG/ 3 rd Person shooter with 15 - 20 hours of gameplay. The game is 80% complete and is in the process of being beautified, receiving a custom soundtrack and recording voice acting. The game will be coming to PC soon. Other platforms will depend on the success of crowdfunding and the games PC launch.

"We will be launching an early bird campaign on Indiegogo this August which will be your first opportunity to secure a copy of the game, followed by a Kickstarter late in September. The game will receive a full release in 12 - 18 months depending on the success of our crowdfunding efforts." Said Producer Callum Dougherty.
Here is one of the videos that are available:

loading…

More information.
--
In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move. Douglas Adams
There are no facts, only interpretations. Nietzsche
Some cause happiness wherever they go; others whenever they go. Oscar Wilde

Myrthos

Cave Canem
Administrator
RPGWatch Team

Mentioned: 77 Post(s)

August 9th, 2019, 02:49
I always wanted to be a mindless robot working for slave wages in a giant, inhuman factory. Hurray.

rjshae

Periapt vs Paronomasia
RPGWatch Donor

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)

August 9th, 2019, 17:40
Where is this announcement from?
--
contributed to: Age of Decadence | Dead State | Dungeon Rats | Battle Brothers | Fell Seal:Arbiter's Mark
working on: Colony Ship RPG | Stygian:Reign of the Old Ones | Encased | ATOM RPG | Realms Beyond

screeg

floating head

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)

August 9th, 2019, 19:12
Its interesting. It could be nice as pure RPG or adventure/RPG when you explore and talk to many robots and use different skills and delve deep into forbidden parts of the city while trying to avoid attention. But Im afraid that generic shooting mechanics will destroy most of the appeal and possibilities of this project.
--
----------------------------------------------------------------
New videos of RPGs/story-driven games (+ENG subtitles):
https://www.youtube.com/user/Rastm4N/videos

Farflame

Keeper of the Watch

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)

August 9th, 2019, 20:43
I might be interested in this, depending on just how deep the exploration factor is. If it is more shooter-oriented, I'll likely skip it.

Carnifex

SasqWatch

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)

August 9th, 2019, 21:12
Could be a quirky game to play. One of the weaknesses that always jump out at me in indy games is the writing, especially dialog, narrative, and exposition.
I can overlook and work with somewhat clumsy mechanics, but weak writing is a turn-off. For me, if the writing is tight, smart, and polished then it covers a multitude of sins.

Zephyr

Sentinel

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

August 9th, 2019, 22:41
Hi!
I am one of the developer of the game. I can assure you that we are putting a lot to create a unique world to explore. The plot and the discovery of our world is the main focus of the game. Please feel free to ask anything about the game.

Mechanical Centurion

Traveler

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
+1:

August 9th, 2019, 23:12
Welcome. A few questions of mine, sorry but I have to.

- Singleplayer or mmo?
- Godlike trashmobs that respawn endlessly or once dead they're gone for good?
- Checkpoints or save anywhere outside of combat?
- Microtransactions or not?
- Procedural generation or handcrafted?
- Plain shooter or minigames included (lockpicking, hacking, etc)?
- K+M or mushrooms?
- Esc based menus or esc+tab+backspace UI?
--
Toka Koka

joxer

The Smoker
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

Mentioned: 128 Post(s)

August 9th, 2019, 23:38
Hi There, a lot of questions for sure!
Ok, here you go:
1)Only singleplayer.
2)Save anywere outside combat
3)No microtransaction
4)Handcrafted + some procedural generation for plants and textures
5)Hacking and lockpicking minigames present
6) ?? I did not understand this
7)Still not defined, we have to ask our betatesters in the future

for any other questions I am here

Mechanical Centurion

Traveler

+1:

August 9th, 2019, 23:41
6) that is Joxer speak the translation is: keyboard + Mouse or controller

And you missed his second question
--
In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move. Douglas Adams

Myrthos

Cave Canem
Administrator
RPGWatch Team

August 9th, 2019, 23:46
Right! sorry is quite late here!
Question (2)
The NPCs die permanently and of course have an impact on the plot. The "creatures / animals" will respawn.

6) The game is for PC and therefore I am designing it with keyboard + Mouse.

Mechanical Centurion

Traveler

+1:

August 10th, 2019, 00:05
What are the RPG elements of the game?
--

Myrthos

Cave Canem
Administrator
RPGWatch Team

August 10th, 2019, 00:11
Well,
The Player can updgrade itself by Buying e/o finding new parts of its body. This will allow to reach before non accessible areas or perfome actions that were precluded.
In addition many of the situations can be solved in different ways based on the skilltree.
There are 3 main "classes" but a "contamination" in the abilities / skills is possible.

Does it answer your question?

Mechanical Centurion

Traveler

August 10th, 2019, 21:59
Thanks for answers. Once the campaign on Kickstartes starts, do please notify us.
Because I like what I heard - you got yourself at least one KS backer. Me.
--
Toka Koka

joxer

The Smoker
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

Mentioned: 128 Post(s)

August 10th, 2019, 23:45
Hey Thanks a lot!
Really! I will keep you updated!

Mechanical Centurion

Traveler

RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » Unworthy Life - Sci-Fi Shooter/RPG Announced