Realms Beyond - Combat Demo, Character Creation, and Screenshots - RPGWatch Forums
|
Your donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » Realms Beyond - Combat Demo, Character Creation, and Screenshots

Default Realms Beyond - Combat Demo, Character Creation, and Screenshots

November 1st, 2019, 22:59
A new update for Realms Beyond talks about the status of the combat demo, and explains character creation. There are also screenshots at the link.

It's been a while since our last update. We've been hard at work designing maps and writing quests - and finishing up the combat demo, which is taking us longer than expected. The main reason for that is the combat demo's scope: rather than just giving you an arena with a handful of fights, we give you a small story, four different maps with varied environments, shops to buy new equipment in, and the full character creation system as it will appear in the complete game.

The combat already works very well, but we still need to finish up the character creation menu and the shopping interface, and the encounters you're going to face in the combat demo will have to be playtested a couple of times to make sure it offers just the right amount of challenge. The combat demo is the first taste of the game you're going to get, and we want to make sure the first impression is a great one. Honestly, we underestimated the actual amount of work the combat demo would require. At the end, we don't want to release unfinished gameplay elements and that's why we need to spend more time in designing, implementing and polishing than originally planned. Therefore we are moving the release date of the combat demo to January.

Character Creation

The most important part of any RPG is its character creation. Many of us have spent hours trying to create different character builds in Fallout, or assembling that perfect party of six in Icewind Dale or the old Gold Box titles. Realms Beyond is going to offer you a complex character creation tool that gives you all the classic choices you would expect - ability scores, classes, skills, feats - and some unique ideas of our own that allow you to further define your characters and their role in the world.

Character Attributes via Point Buy or Roll

Character Class Selection

Appearance and Player Portrait

Rather than just picking a race and be done with it, Realms Beyond lets you choose your character's origin: which region of the world does your character hail from? It is more than just a cosmetic choice, as your character's origin will influence the knowledge of local customs, politics and events the character has, as well as the reaction some NPCs will have towards that character.

Character Origin

Furthermore, you will be able to select a descent for your characters: which social class they hail from and what they did before they became adventurers. Noble, craftsman, peasant - these descents also come with unique background knowledge for your character. Characters with a noble background will be familiar with the customs of the nobility, while characters with a peasant background will be able to tell a farmer why his crops are failing.

Biography and Descent

The character backgrounds are more than just flavor, as they will occasionally offer unique insights into the events you encounter during the game.

[…]
More information.

Silver

Spaceman
RPGWatch Team

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)

November 2nd, 2019, 02:27
Finally some news about this game. Now I can return to pretending that I'll not play the demo in January and savor the game for release date!

MAHak

Traveler

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)

November 2nd, 2019, 03:15
I'm getting really hyped for this game!

I don't know what they have changed exactly but new screenshots look more vibrant than previous ones I've seen.

I like choosing your origins and descent - would be really good for roleplaying if its implemented well.
--
Favourite RPGs: Baldur's Gate II, NWN: The Aielund Saga, Pathfinder: Kingmaker, Icewind Dale I, Stardew Valley
Last edited by purpleblob; November 2nd, 2019 at 08:26.

purpleblob

Princess

Mentioned: 82 Post(s)

November 2nd, 2019, 05:03
Waiting all the way until January? But that's so lon… oh, two months. Meh, I can hang on until then. All the artwork looks excellent… well except perhaps for the character bodies. Something's a bit off there.

rjshae

Periapt vs Paronomasia
RPGWatch Donor

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)

November 2nd, 2019, 09:08
Shaping-up well. Really looking forward.

Do they really aim at release at beginning of 2020? That sounds too good to be true for Kickstarter indie game (less then year delay from initial delivery date in ks campaign).
--
"The problem with the world is that the intelligent people are full of doubts, while the stupid ones are full of confidence."

Charles Bukowski

Andrew23

Sentinel

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)

November 2nd, 2019, 09:40
Originally Posted by Andrew23 View Post
Shaping-up well. Really looking forward.

Do they really aim at release at beginning of 2020? That sounds too good to be true for Kickstarter indie game (less then year delay from initial delivery date in ks campaign).
The combat demo will be out in Jan 2020 but not sure when full release will happen.
--
Favourite RPGs: Baldur's Gate II, NWN: The Aielund Saga, Pathfinder: Kingmaker, Icewind Dale I, Stardew Valley

purpleblob

Princess

Mentioned: 82 Post(s)

November 2nd, 2019, 16:25
Excellent looking game! Made with lots of love and their magic particle effects are groundbreaking!! Cannot wait, SHUT UP AND TAKE MY MONEY, Day One Sale!
MUSTHAVE™℗

mercy

SasqWatch

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)

November 2nd, 2019, 16:28
I also have high hopes for this one. I won't be jumping in on day one or even week one, but once the necessary updates/patches hit after release, I'll likely check it out.

Carnifex

SasqWatch

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)

November 2nd, 2019, 17:08
These guys have always talked a good game about making a good game. Their various updates have always left a good impression on me.

Capt. Huggy Face

Aging Gamer
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
+1:

November 2nd, 2019, 17:32
Looks good. I'm really looking forward to this game.
--
"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." (E.F.Schumacher, Economist, Source)

Alrik Fassbauer

TL;DR
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)

November 2nd, 2019, 20:49
I absolutely love everything that I have seen from this game so far, especially the artwork! It is so beautiful and old school at the same time.

It is really good to see some updates for this game. Based on the character-creation screens the game seems to be very true to the 3.5 rulesets. Amazing.

I will definitely gonna play the demo. And if the demo lives up to the hype it is a day one buy for sure. I feel bad that at the time of their kickstarter I was broke.

gabrielarantest

Stubborn Dwarf

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

November 3rd, 2019, 14:06
Important Note: at least initially the combat demo will not be open to the general public, only to KS backers who pledged at the appropriate reward tier (lowest level that had access to combat beta was €55). But for those of us that did not spring for that, there will at least be youtube videos to watch in January.

daveyd

Turn-based lifeform
RPGWatch Donor

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)

November 3rd, 2019, 15:30
Yea, fine then, I will look forward to the combat demo from youtube vids. I'm interested - the game does look very promising in many ways - but not going to pay them to play a beta.(I just made that mistake by paying for the newly released Modern Warfare, its defintely in a buggy beta state and has a lot of patching to do, there goes $60 for a game I can't play, probably for weeks at least)
--
To check out my games library, and see what recent games I'm playing, visit my steam profile! -- http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197982351404

Arkadia7

SasqWatch
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)

November 3rd, 2019, 20:33
Not interested in playing any pre-release version anyway, but Im looking forward to hear about feedback from others. Have high hopes about this one.
--
"The problem with the world is that the intelligent people are full of doubts, while the stupid ones are full of confidence."

Charles Bukowski

Andrew23

Sentinel

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)

November 3rd, 2019, 21:03
I wouldn't have played the combat demo anyway, but I'd be interested in the character generator.
--
We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.
- George Bernard Shaw

Currently playing: Jedi: Fallen Order

Morrandir

SasqWatch
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
+1:

November 4th, 2019, 18:21
"It is more than just a cosmetic choice, as your character's origin will influence the knowledge of local customs, politics and events the character has, as well as the reaction some NPCs will have towards that character."

Cool idea. But if I were in charge I would forego these types of features and funnel all my time and $$ into the story and setting up every combat encounter to be super memorable.

I am really in the mood for a modern Icewind Dale game right now. Just roll up my party. Don't have to worry about which NPCs I pick and their side quests. Just my custom crew and a great story and lots of interesting encounters.

"Memorable NPCs" and "choices that matter" are getting out of hand in my view.

bizorker

Watchdog
Original Sin 2 Donor

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » Realms Beyond - Combat Demo, Character Creation, and Screenshots