Solasta - Fighter & Rogue Archetypes - RPGWatch Forums
|
Your donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » Solasta - Fighter & Rogue Archetypes

Default Solasta - Fighter & Rogue Archetypes

January 8th, 2020, 20:12
Henriquejr spotted some more info about classes in Solasta Chronicles:

Solasta Chronicles - Fighter & Rogue Archetypes

Those who survived the immediate effects of the Cataclysm found themselves plunged into a struggle for survival. Many different fighters and fighting styles emerged from the chaos that engulfed Solasta: nobles maintained armed bands to secure their lands, and every merchant house, temple, and town needed armed guards for defense. Each of the new nations had its favored troops, tactics, and equipment. In addition, there were some who made their living as adventurers or mercenaries, whose experiences shaped their fighting style in various ways.

As centuries passed, some styles proved more effective than others. Schools were founded to preserve and refine their traditions, each the product of different needs and circumstances. Here are three of Solasta's best-known martial traditions.

Mountaineer

Most of Solasta's martial traditions have their roots in the elite army corps of the Manacalon Empire or the Tirmarian Inquisition. Mountaineers, though, are born out of the ashes of the Cataclysm. For generations, the Marches and the mountains that stand between the Badlands and the more civilized nations have been infested by orcs and other monsters. Many of these creatures make their lairs in dark tunnels, narrow canyons, and cramped ruins. This is the world of the mountaineer.

Mountaineers are specially trained to fight and survive in rocky and vertical environments. They are masters of the shield, which is as much a weapon as a protection in their skilled hands. A mountaineer's shield can wound or knock down an opponent, and given a wall on one side and a shield in the opposite hand, a skilled mountaineer can be almost invulnerable. Their extreme mobility lets them maneuver in ways that can surprise opponents and give them a considerable tactical advantage. The greatest mountaineers can combine offensive actions into devastating chain attacks.

While mountaineers do not fit the ideal of the elegant, noble warrior, they are impressively efficient killers of Badlands monsters.

[…]
More information.

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
RPGWatch Team
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

Mentioned: 67 Post(s)

rjshae

Periapt vs Paronomasia
RPGWatch Donor

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)

January 9th, 2020, 19:01
I found their main selling point, vertically distributed levels and combat, added little and made finding your way around pointlessly confusing. To me it's a gimmick they'll either do well or do poorly, but either way still just a gimmick.
--
contributed to: Age of Decadence | Dead State | Battle Brothers | Fell Seal+DLC | Stygian | Realms Beyond
working on: Colony Ship RPG | Encased | ATOM RPG+DLC | Black Geyser | Chernobylite | King's Bounty 2

screeg

floating head
RPGWatch Donor

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)

Default Leap Into Battle…

January 9th, 2020, 20:01
The value will prove to be in whether that verticality is implemented well enough to be a "must-have" feature in other tactical-combat RPGs down the line. Personally I've always been annoyed by the artificial pathing constraints imposed by yesteryear's game of limited imagination - being able to jump, climb and fly shouldn't be merely optional any longer: if your character could do it in a TT setting, then a game that purports to bring that experience to the PC Screen should have it. This is a first good step in that direction. VR is certain to expand on our ability to move our characters any way we want to even further, and I look forward to it.

EDIT: Writing about this, I distinctly recalled a particular piece of sepia-ish toned promotional art for Neverwinter Nights that depicted a rogue leaping down to ambush a trio of unsuspecting ̶o̶r̶c̶ hobgoblin(?) soldiers (must've been a pretty high level rogue!), dual-wielded daggers drawn out and ready to plunge into their unsuspecting backs, I suppose. And I can't find the damned FULL picture anywhere, but I KNOW it was this picture (which is the bottom portion, only):

..anyway, seeing that scene so depicted somehow put the notion in my head that you'd be able to climb and jump in the game, which of course you couldn't do, and I remember being a bit disappointed at that.
Last edited by Dhraiden; January 9th, 2020 at 20:14. Reason: added info

Dhraiden

Hero in Search of Glory

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

January 10th, 2020, 05:03
I've always thought the Mistborn book could be made into a cool tactical RPG with flying (actually pushing off of metal in the world) as its centerpiece. Too bad I haven't made a computer game since my old text adventures and an ASCII homage to Jumpman on the Commodore 64.

Capt. Huggy Face

Aging Gamer
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » Solasta - Fighter & Rogue Archetypes