Tainted Grail: Conquest - Announced

Silver

Spaceman
Staff Member
Tainted Grail: Conquest is described as is a hardcore roguelike experience with base-building mechanics and a surprising narrative. Early Access will be available June 25th.

Tainted Grail: Conquest is a hardcore roguelike experience with base-building mechanics and a surprising narrative. Create unique combos out of various skills, runes, and items. Develop and customize your heroes as you fight harder and harder enemies. Build and upgrade your village to carry over your progress and tailor the experience to your unique playstyle.

Wishlist on Steam: https://store.steampowered.com/app/1199030/Tainted_Grail/
Wishlist on GOG: https://www.gog.com/game/tainted_grail
Join us on Discord: https://discord.com/invite/eRFF7Tm

[...]

ANNOUNCING TAINTED GRAIL: CONQUEST
More info about a new game mode we're adding to Tainted Grail!

Hey everyone! It's Kamil again - game director/producer at Awaken Realms Digital. I have some really exciting things to show you today and we're SO DAMN HAPPY that we can finally talk about them out in the open! :D

Here's... Tainted Grail: Conquest!

TAINTED GRAIL: CONQUEST
Like I said in my last post, we are creating a whole additional mode for Tainted Grail and you'll be able to play it, well, endlessly. It's an entirely new game experience which you'll get in addition to the main game, not instead of it!

We're kinda insane because making two games at the same time isn't easy... But we're extremely happy that we will be able to deliver this thing to you, folks!

The crucial point here is that Tainted Grail: Conquest will be the main focus of the period we'll spend in Early Access!

Why, though? Two main reasons

ONE: GAMEPLAY IS KING

Awaken Realms, as many of you probably know, has A LOT of experience as a board game developer. This means that over the years we've learned that gameplay is king - and it's really easy to forget about that when you're making a video game (being constantly distracted by various systems and mechanics you're adding to the experience while forgetting about the most important thing: FUN).

We're confident that we'll be able to deliver a proper RPG to you because RPGs stand on their storylines - and Tainted Grail is a really amazing, huge, and already developed world from which we're able to draw - but we are pretty sure that your journey through Avalon would feel lackluster if the gameplay wouldn't be there. This is why we've been extremely focused on gameplay for the past months and we are really proud of the results we were able to achieve!

Actually, after a few tests and discussions, we realized that our combat system works really well on its own. After some further prototypes it turned out that this unique mix of an RPG and a roguelike is a really fun game out on its own. Full of neat combos, unexpected quests, and hard, satisfying exploration. This is how Conquest was born.

Sure, our new trailer shows a lot of shiny stuff, bits and pieces of combat, and some locations - it is much harder to see the actual gameplay and the flow of the game, though. We really put in the work so that the whole experience will feel really satisfying to you all - but there are still plenty of details to be taken care of and ironed out (hence - Early Access).

TWO: RPG experienced as a whole

We believe that truly epic RPG adventure should be experienced as a whole, without any breaks or "episodes" and whatnot. This is why we feel like developing an RPG game in Early Access and giving out the storyline bit by bit misses the point. This is why in Early Access you will receive access to about 3-4 hours of the Campaign (just to give you a good intro and taste of things to come) and then you will get an update with the full campaign when it's done! Meanwhile, you will be getting quite a lot of content for Conquest that will make getting the Early Access version worthwhile!

That's why Conquest will be the main focus of our Early Access. If you want just the story campaign - we would recommend you to wait for the official release ;) (with one small caveat that the price might be a bit higher).

[...]
More information.

Hmmm... I tried the alpha last year and thought it held promise. However, it wasn't, iirc, billed as a "hardcore roguelike experience" which is a turn off for me. I'm pretty tired of roguelikes and when your pair that with "hardcore", it makes me kinda nauseous... makes me think of that whole pretentious gaming attitude where if something ain't hardcore, it ain't good.

I guess we'll see... the gameplay in the vid looks like they have changed things up pretty dramatically - especially in combat by the looks of it.

Hmmm… I tried the alpha last year and thought it held promise. However, it wasn't, iirc, billed as a "hardcore roguelike experience" which is a turn off for me. I'm pretty tired of roguelikes and when your pair that with "hardcore", it makes me kinda nauseous… makes me think of that whole pretentious gaming attitude where if something ain't hardcore, it ain't good.

I guess we'll see… the gameplay in the vid looks like they have changed things up pretty dramatically - especially in combat by the looks of it.

They are still doing the main game. The roguelike is an additional game mode while they are developing the main game. Confusing I know.

Hope it is a separate mode. On their game page "Tainted Grail: Conquest is a hardcore roguelike experience" is listed a lot.

Back
Top Bottom