Dragon Quest XI - Review @ VentureBeat - RPGWatch Forums
|
Your donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » Dragon Quest XI - Review @ VentureBeat

Default Dragon Quest XI - Review @ VentureBeat

May 16th, 2020, 20:18
VentureBeat has reviewed the J-RPG Dragon Quest XI: Echoes of an Elusive Age:

The RetroBeat: Dragon Quest XI finally turns me into a fan

I love Japanese role-playing games like the Final Fantasy and Persona series, but I just never got into Dragon Quest. But I've finally corrected this oversight.

I had a few false starts with the classic franchise. When a remake of Dragon Quest IV came out for the Nintendo DS in 2008, I picked it up. This was right around the time I was marathoning my way through Final Fantasy, playing the first 10 games in the franchise in 6 months. After so much Final Fantasy, I thought I'd enjoy checking out the other major JRPG institution. But I barely got anywhere with Dragon Quest IV. I don't have a great reason; the game just didn't grab me. If there was one big thing, I just couldn't get into the first-person battles. Not seeing my party members on the battlefield just felt jarring.

[…]
More information.

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
RPGWatch Team
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

Mentioned: 60 Post(s)

May 17th, 2020, 02:15
I almost got this with the last sale but it looks so kid-orient that I gave it a miss. Maybe some day.
--
The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common: instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views….
-- Doctor Who in "Face of Evil"

Zloth

I smell a… wumpus!?
RPGWatch Donor

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)

May 17th, 2020, 02:16
Originally Posted by Zloth View Post
I almost got this with the last sale but it looks so kid-orient that I gave it a miss. Maybe some day.
The story is more mature than 80% of JRPGs stories. Don't get hung up on the graphical style.

JFarrell71

Keeper of the Watch

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)

May 17th, 2020, 06:17
With some rare exceptions, I just can't do JRPGs anymore. It doesn't matter how serious the story is, the art style and writing just don't appeal to me as an adult.

I enjoyed DQ 1-4 on the NES when I was a kid, but I wouldn't be able to get into this series now.

JDR13

SasqWatch
Original Sin Donor

Mentioned: 65 Post(s)

May 17th, 2020, 07:09
Originally Posted by JDR13 View Post
With some rare exceptions, I just can't do JRPGs anymore. It doesn't matter how serious the story is, the art style and writing just don't appeal to me as an adult.
Don't get me wrong, DQXI is mature relative to other JRPGs (a world where the Trails of Cold Steel games are somehow considered to be well written by most fans), but not written at an adult level in an absolute sense. I can't play JRPGs anymore either, except that I genuinely liked the FF7 remake.

JFarrell71

Keeper of the Watch

May 17th, 2020, 07:19
Originally Posted by JFarrell71 View Post
Don't get me wrong, DQXI is mature relative to other JRPGs (a world where the Trails of Cold Steel games are somehow considered to be well written by most fans), but not written at an adult level in an absolute sense. I can't play JRPGs anymore either, except that I genuinely liked the FF7 remake.
The Final Fantasy series has always been very hit or miss for me, but I'm definitely going to check out FF7 Remake when I get a PS5 or when it comes to PC.

The only Japanese developer who consistently makes games I like is Capcom. They're not known for JRPGs though.

JDR13

SasqWatch
Original Sin Donor

Mentioned: 65 Post(s)
+1:

May 17th, 2020, 18:36
I'm mostly in the same boat… played quite a number of jrpgs as a younger man in my 20s but I've probably only played a tiny handful of them since then (I'm over 50).

I still occasionally will play a really good Japanese sRPG but then those often suck me in because the battle mechanics are really good and I find I just put up with the juvenile writing and/or poor story.

SSIGuy

An Islander Returned

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)

May 17th, 2020, 20:41
I think most jRPGs are actually not childish. Maybe by visual design, but mechanically and story-wise, there is often much more there then what first sight suggests.

Andrew23

Sentinel

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)

May 17th, 2020, 22:46
That doesn't really mean anything. To me.
Aka I have no idea what are you talking about, but then again you probably haven't finish any Yakuza sidequest ever. Sidequest. Side.

I enjoyed DQ 1-4 on the NES when I was a kid, but I wouldn't be able to get into this series now.
But this means everything.
I could only vomit on those billions of years ago just as I'd do today. Never played them, but just seeing any of it gives me a shomachache.

That aside, this is DQ11 thread.
Stated before, DQ11 in my case was an utter disappointment. The game is just a nice looking sum of irritating outdated designs. Strip away it's graphics and you'll notice that under the hood it didn't move away from what was considered a videogame in VAX/VMS era.
I can understand a person who never played anything else before being amazed with DQ11. A person who tried at least a game from different genres in past few years? I expect spitting.
--
Toka Koka

joxer

The Smoker
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

Mentioned: 173 Post(s)

May 17th, 2020, 23:41
Yeah, they're kind of stuck with those old designs.
DQ is such a phenomena in Japan, if they change the tiniest thing it'll be a national scandal
DQ11 is mechanically silmilar to DQIII and the next one will be the same. It's a genuine cultural tradition at this point.

I only played DQ8 (the Cursed King thing) prior to this one, I had a blast with it, and I knew DQ11 would be more or less the same game. And that's kind of what I wanted.

But I admit I didn't finish it.
Didn't had a blast.
Dragon Quest never changes but I sure do.
--
The delightful and ever novel pleasure of a useless occupation.

Winterfart

Passenger

May 17th, 2020, 23:47
Well I did finish it.
Explainable only by my masochistic tendencies that emerge occassionally, but so far aren't my cultural tradition.

Finishing the game doesn't mean I can recommend it, it's like food, you eat because it's something you normally do but it doesn't mean it tasted good.
--
Toka Koka

joxer

The Smoker
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

Mentioned: 173 Post(s)

May 17th, 2020, 23:55
Sweet, sweet side "quests"…

A similar thing happened to me with The Witcher 3 and those underwater chests all over Skellige.
I think I lost a part of my mind looting them all. And I hate mermaids now.
--
The delightful and ever novel pleasure of a useless occupation.

Winterfart

Passenger

May 18th, 2020, 01:01
The story is more mature than 80% of JRPGs stories. Don't get hung up on the graphical style.
Too late - already passed it up and got Kenshi. I might come back around to it, especially if the games start drying up over the next couple of years.
--
The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common: instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views….
-- Doctor Who in "Face of Evil"

Zloth

I smell a… wumpus!?
RPGWatch Donor

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)

May 18th, 2020, 10:56
If anyone does play this, remember to turn on some of the extra difficulty options at the start of the game. It's stupidly easy otherwise, and even bosses won't pose any challenege.

Sadly I made the mistake of playing it "as is", and whilst I enjoyed it, everything felt very superficial as a result. I stopped playing at a certain point when the game suddenly takes a sharp turn into repetition (about half-way, I think?). I keep meaning to go back, but it is hard when I feel like I've seen all there is to see, and there's no challenge.

Irien

Watchdog
Original Sin 2 Donor

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)

May 18th, 2020, 12:40
, but not written at an adult level in an absolute sense.
As so many other vid products floating out there.
--
Backlog:0

ChienAboyeur

SasqWatch

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » Dragon Quest XI - Review @ VentureBeat