Crusader Kings III - Interview and Preview - RPGWatch Forums
|
Your donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » Crusader Kings III - Interview and Preview

Default Crusader Kings III - Interview and Preview

May 17th, 2020, 12:28
Crusader Kings III is a grand strategy game with RPG elements that will release 1st September.

RockPaperShotgun gave its impression of how the game plays.

loading…

As it stands, CK3 is one of the few RPGs I've played that genuinely compelled me to try thinking like my character would, rather than just pushing for optimal outcomes. And it swiftly achieved what CK2 only managed at its best, in making me feel more invested in my pretend family of medieval gits, than I did in the nation they were ruling. And on top of all that, CK3 simply does a much better job of explaining itself than most of Paradox's historical titles do. I think it'll succeed in bringing previously reticent newcomers into the subgenre, but not by sacrificing complexity or depth. It is, quite straightforwardly, a well-designed game.

Before we get going, I should warn you: this post will not explain CK3's features in exhaustive detail, or conduct a meticulous compare-and-contrast with CK2. For a start, it would take all day, and for seconds, we've already done loads of that, as have Paradox themselves. Instead, I want to give you a straightforward impression of what it's like to play, that doesn't rely on you already knowing CK2 back to front. Because if you've always been interested by so-called Grand Strategy games, but found them too inscrutable to really get into, Crusader Kings 3 could well be your Rosetta Stone.

[…]
Twinfinite interviewed Paradox about the game and focused on how they plan to followup on Crusader Kings II.

Giuseppe: Crusader Kings 2 has eight years of updates and expansions under its belt. How did you approach balancing between realistically finishing the game and including many of those features out of the box so that the new game doesn't feel like two steps ahead and three back?

Max Weltz: As you say, CK2 is a game that has a long tail of content and updates post-launch, both paid and free, with tons of features that have been added. We really wanted to make sure that you get as much of that as possible when CK3 comes live.

We know that not all the features that we have put in CK2 during its lifetime were as good as we wanted them to be, so it's not all the features that have ever been in CK2 DLC that make it at launch in CK3. we have been very clear on that since the reveal of the game.

We really try to bring all the good stuff and iterate and improve on that, of course. Some of the things we think could have been done better in CK2, we kind of mostly pinned them for later content and later updates, that's the approach we had.

[…]
Thanks Farflame!

More information.
Silver is offline

Silver

Silver's Avatar
Spaceman
RPGWatch Team

#1

Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: New Zealand
Posts: 7,669
Mentioned: 45 Post(s)

Default 

May 17th, 2020, 14:44
All these big games being released at the end of summer. If one of them could have been released at the beginning of summer I think they would have seen big numbers. Now they will all be competing with each other. People have extra time on their hands right now.
--
"From knowledge springs Power, just as weakness stems from Ignorance."
Hastar is offline

Hastar

Hastar's Avatar
Unspeakable
RPGWatch Donor

#2

Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Wolf Light Woods
Posts: 1,992
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
+1:

Default 

May 17th, 2020, 14:56
Yep, missed chance everybody.
--
We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.
- George Bernard Shaw


Currently playing: Pathfinder: WotR alpha
Morrandir is offline

Morrandir

Morrandir's Avatar
SasqWatch
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor

#3

Join Date: May 2013
Location: Germany
Posts: 3,509
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
+1:

Default 

May 17th, 2020, 17:34
Looking great, but don't call it a RPG.
Telstar is offline

Telstar

Watcher

#4

Join Date: Oct 2018
Posts: 38
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
+1:

Default 

May 18th, 2020, 20:20
Originally Posted by Telstar View Post
Looking great, but don't call it a RPG.
Why not? You roleplay a character.
Ephiron is offline

Ephiron

Watcher

#5

Join Date: May 2018
Posts: 61
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)

Default 

May 19th, 2020, 13:59
In this article of german GameStar it is said that the game is "a role playing game at heart".
The full article is behind a paywall though.
--
We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.
- George Bernard Shaw


Currently playing: Pathfinder: WotR alpha
Morrandir is offline

Morrandir

Morrandir's Avatar
SasqWatch
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor

#6

Join Date: May 2013
Location: Germany
Posts: 3,509
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)

Default 

May 20th, 2020, 12:43
Of course, it is an RPG, it has combat, it has graphics, it has sounds. More than anything, it has no roleplaying in it, any vid product without roleplaying is potentially a RPG.

After all the expansions given to CK2, going to be instructive to see how they manage to repeat the whole process with CK3, how CK3 stands apart from CK2.

A point though, it will allow players who never played CK2 an easy point of access, it will be easier to learn how to play CK3 than CK2 and its addons.
--
Backlog:0
ChienAboyeur is offline

ChienAboyeur

SasqWatch

#7

Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 6,231
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)

Default 

May 20th, 2020, 13:02
Originally Posted by ChienAboyeur View Post
it has no roleplaying in it
What's your source on that?
--
We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.
- George Bernard Shaw


Currently playing: Pathfinder: WotR alpha
Morrandir is offline

Morrandir

Morrandir's Avatar
SasqWatch
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor

#8

Join Date: May 2013
Location: Germany
Posts: 3,509
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)

Default 

May 20th, 2020, 13:59
All I know about CK3 is that you can choose to, or not to, seduce pope. Doing that or not has consequences on stuff happening in the world.
Well, that's RPG in my book.

The game is probably a hybrid of several genres though. Never heard about it's predecessors, but this one I'm buying.
--
Toka Koka
joxer is offline

joxer

joxer's Avatar
The Smoker
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

#9

Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 22,178
Mentioned: 174 Post(s)

Default 

May 20th, 2020, 14:33
Originally Posted by joxer View Post
Never heard about it's predecessors, but this one I'm buying.
What? CK2 should actually be your arch-enemy when it comes to DLC.
--
We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.
- George Bernard Shaw


Currently playing: Pathfinder: WotR alpha
Morrandir is offline

Morrandir

Morrandir's Avatar
SasqWatch
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor

#10

Join Date: May 2013
Location: Germany
Posts: 3,509
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
+1:

Default 

May 20th, 2020, 17:08
DLC: The Game.
--
Toka Koka
joxer is offline

joxer

joxer's Avatar
The Smoker
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

#11

Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 22,178
Mentioned: 174 Post(s)

Default 

May 20th, 2020, 18:40
Originally Posted by Morrandir View Post
What's your source on that?
The deep weird caverns of his brain…
--
If you don't stand behind your troops, feel free to stand in front.
rune_74 is offline

rune_74

SasqWatch
Original Sin 2 Donor

#12

Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 5,088
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)

Default 

May 20th, 2020, 19:02
Is Crusader Kings III Kings an RPG? Well that's a loaded question. As genre definitions have lowered over the last ten years. I'd say no but it has sandbox RPG elements.

Anyway the series has always been a blend of different genres as Joxer said. As for DLC I expect the usual Paradox DLC scheme where you end up paying over $300 again.

Unless you wait and buy the complete edition on a Steam sales.

Edit: Mount and Blade is another game like CK but focuses on other aspects.
--
“The court of public opinion moves much faster than the law.” ― T.E. Carter
Last edited by Couchpotato; May 20th, 2020 at 19:50.
Couchpotato is offline

Couchpotato

Couchpotato's Avatar
Lazy Layabout

#13

Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: New England
Posts: 22,205
Mentioned: 60 Post(s)
+1:

Default 

May 20th, 2020, 19:46
Originally Posted by ChienAboyeur View Post
A point though, it will allow players who never played CK2 an easy point of access, it will be easier to learn how to play CK3 than CK2 and its addons.
That is the key appeal to me. Even after watching several hours of YouTube videos and playing for dozens of hours I feel like I am still stumbling around, not even completely understanding the base mechanics, much less the inner workings.
Xian is offline

Xian

Xian's Avatar
Sentinel

#14

Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Tennessee, United States
Posts: 555
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)

Default 

May 20th, 2020, 20:26
Originally Posted by Couchpotato View Post
As for DLC I expect the usual Paradox DLC scheme where you end up paying over $300 again.
I've read a fair few of the development diaries for CK3, and based on everything I've seen, they're incorporating a good chunk of what CK2 eventually had in it only after 15 DLC releases. So the starting point is much further along. It's also my understanding that Paradox aims to reduce the frequency and increase the size of their DLC for the game (something we see evidence of with the about to release "Emperor" DLC for EU4, which is very expansive and comes after about a year and a half without a release for that game)

I like my strategy games to have ongoing support/expansion, but the Paradox model sometimes is pretty excessive, especially when some DLC don't have much in them. Hopefully the above all means a better balance will be struck with CK3.
JFarrell71 is offline

JFarrell71

Keeper of the Watch

#15

Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 681
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)

Default 

May 20th, 2020, 20:57
I really never worry if it meets the strict version of what someone believes is an rpg…you can ask any of us and it will be slightly different….really, I worry if it will be fun or interesting to me….
--
If you don't stand behind your troops, feel free to stand in front.
rune_74 is offline

rune_74

SasqWatch
Original Sin 2 Donor

#16

Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 5,088
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)

Default 

May 21st, 2020, 00:08
I'm always anxious when a new iteration of one of my favorite strategy games comes out…the general trend is to simplify things to reach a wider audience…

The thing is, I can't even get mad, as they are not really doing anything wrong. I'm just a masochist, and I LIKE games that have too many systems running simultaneously. I enjoy making spreadsheets to figure it all out…..lol

It's just that ck2 was pretty simple by paradox standards to begin with.
tenebroustenor is offline

tenebroustenor

Traveler

#17

Join Date: May 2020
Posts: 10
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)

Default 

May 22nd, 2020, 02:13
Originally Posted by tenebroustenor View Post
I'm always anxious when a new iteration of one of my favorite strategy games comes out…the general trend is to simplify things to reach a wider audience…

The thing is, I can't even get mad, as they are not really doing anything wrong. I'm just a masochist, and I LIKE games that have too many systems running simultaneously. I enjoy making spreadsheets to figure it all out…..lol

It's just that CK2 was pretty simple by paradox standards to begin with.
If you have spreadsheets for Paradox's game can we see them lol?
Tactician is offline

Tactician

Watcher

#18

Join Date: Jun 2019
Posts: 92
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

Default 

May 23rd, 2020, 12:46
Originally Posted by JFarrell71 View Post
they're incorporating a good chunk of what CK2 eventually had in it only after 15 DLC releases. So the starting point is much further along. It's also my understanding that Paradox aims to reduce the frequency and increase the size of their DLC for the game
CK2 +DLCs is huge and goes in many directions. They might have a clearer view on where they are going to with CK3 and therefore pushing placeholders and stuff but for them to include a good chunk of CK2 and dlcs.

Already if they manage to include worthy mechanics for crusades, that would add.
--
Backlog:0
Last edited by Myrthos; May 23rd, 2020 at 13:42. Reason: Removed American system reference
ChienAboyeur is offline

ChienAboyeur

SasqWatch

#19

Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 6,231
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » Crusader Kings III - Interview and Preview
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

All times are GMT +2. The time now is 23:29.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
vBulletin Security provided by DragonByte Security (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright by RPGWatch