KoA: Reckoning - How Will Re-Reckoning Improve the Gameplay? - RPGWatch Forums
|
Your donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » KoA: Reckoning - How Will Re-Reckoning Improve the Gameplay?

Default KoA: Reckoning - How Will Re-Reckoning Improve the Gameplay?

June 23rd, 2020, 04:38
Click4Gameplay shares his thoughts on how Kingdoms of Amalur: Re-Reckoning will improve the gameplay.

loading…

Kingdoms of Amalur Re-Reckoning is coming in August. We know that this version of the game will have improved visuals and the refined gameplay. But what does "refined gameplay" actually means?
More information.

Silver

Spaceman
RPGWatch Team

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)

June 23rd, 2020, 06:52
I usually like this guys videos but i feel like this one is a bit of clickbait. It’s not how re-reckoning will improve gameplay it’s his wishlist for how they should improve gameplay.

I do agree with him about difficulty and level locking of areas. When i played the game i ruined it by running off and exploring Skyrim style. I effectively locked several areas at the lowest level and never ran into any challenge and grew bored with the game rather quickly. If they fix that I would buy re-reckoning. Assuming they actually fix it and don’t just hike up every enemies hit points and lower damage dealt across the board. Which results in combat that is still easy but requires you to hack away at enemies with enormous heath bars.

sakichop

SasqWatch
Original Sin Donor

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)

June 23rd, 2020, 13:31
Judging by other THQ Nordic published remasters, this is just going to be a minor visual upgrade, nothing more.
--
A failed Kickstarter RPG

yemeth

Watchdog

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)

June 23rd, 2020, 18:02
My eye is on it.

Mosaic

Watchdog

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)

June 23rd, 2020, 18:04
How Will Re-Reckoning Improve the Gameplay?

Easy. By eliminating fps Stu-Stutter.

duerer

Keeper of the Watch

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)

June 23rd, 2020, 21:33
I heard they put quite a lot of effort into saints row 3 remaster. Nothing mechanical sure, but I'd be hard pressed to fault them if they did the same here.

Sprout

Traveler

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)

June 24th, 2020, 00:43
I found that the game got top easy after you played for awhile, balance wasn't there.
--
If you don't stand behind your troops, feel free to stand in front.

rune_74

SasqWatch
Original Sin 2 Donor

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)

June 24th, 2020, 02:42
Originally Posted by Sprout View Post
I heard they put quite a lot of effort into saints row 3 remaster. Nothing mechanical sure, but I'd be hard pressed to fault them if they did the same here.
Saints Row 3 was just an Engine port. Nothing was added or changed except graphics.
--
"We live in a stupid society where everything is racist and diversity/identity is our strength. I feel like humanity is lost, common sense is erased. Welcome to the United States of Idiocracy"

Couchpotato

Dreg of Society

Mentioned: 64 Post(s)

June 24th, 2020, 03:57
That's Deep Silver though, not THQ Nordic
--
A failed Kickstarter RPG

yemeth

Watchdog

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)

June 24th, 2020, 04:08
Originally Posted by yemeth View Post
"THQ Nordic and Volition have announced Saints Row: The Third Remastered, an upcoming re-release of the popular open-world title."

https://www.trustedreviews.com/news/…-month-4021937

???

Sprout

Traveler

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
+1:

June 24th, 2020, 04:11
Originally Posted by yemeth View Post
Are you sure? Anyway it feels like THQ Nordic is behind every new re-master lately. It's their manifesto to profit off others work, and it's very profitable for them.

Can't find a list of all the Ip's and failed developers they have gobbled up.
" and Volition have announced Saints Row: The Third Remastered, an upcoming re-release of the popular open-world title."

https://www.trustedreviews.com/news/…-month-4021937

???
Correct Volition is owned by the parent corporation of THQ Nordic.
Volition was acquired by THQ in August 2000, and when THQ filed for bankruptcy and had its assets sold off, Volition changed hands to Deep Silver in January 2013. Volition is best known for its Red Faction and Saints Row series of games.
Side fact THQ Nordic also owns Deep Silver now.

Link - https://www.polygon.com/2018/2/14/17…nt-dead-island
--
"We live in a stupid society where everything is racist and diversity/identity is our strength. I feel like humanity is lost, common sense is erased. Welcome to the United States of Idiocracy"
Last edited by Couchpotato; June 24th, 2020 at 17:07.

Couchpotato

Dreg of Society

Mentioned: 64 Post(s)
+1:

June 24th, 2020, 14:39
Not being much of an Action RPG fan, I never played the original. I might check this out. Nevermind the gameplay, how's the story?

daveyd

Turn-based lifeform

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)

June 24th, 2020, 15:59
Originally Posted by daveyd View Post
Not being much of an Action RPG fan, I never played the original. I might check this out. Nevermind the gameplay, how's the story?
I liked it, it had some interesting stuff to it….funny thing is, all I can remember is I liked it and not much details hehehe
--
If you don't stand behind your troops, feel free to stand in front.

rune_74

SasqWatch
Original Sin 2 Donor

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
+1:

June 24th, 2020, 16:26
Originally Posted by daveyd View Post
The gameplay got in the way of the story for me.

You can get as invested in the lore as you want, there is plenty of it. Since it was created as an MMO first sometimes it felt a bit broken and clunky. "Why is this group upset at this group? We live a stones throw away from this whole other culture but we've never made contact? The richest nation in history can't repair their front gates or stop 3 bandits from raiding them?"
--
How about all games have a single huge lootbox you pay for up front that contains all the options, items, skins, unlocks etc? I'd pay for that!!

Wisdom

Torch & Pitchfork Vendor
Original Sin 2 Donor

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)

June 24th, 2020, 16:40
I cannot imagine being desperate enough to give this one another try. I'll at least read reviews and such when it's released, and go from there, who knows.

Carnifex

SasqWatch

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)

June 24th, 2020, 16:52
Originally Posted by Carnifex View Post
I cannot imagine being desperate enough to give this one another try. I'll at least read reviews and such when it's released, and go from there, who knows.
I've tried so many times to get back into it but always stop around the same place…
--
How about all games have a single huge lootbox you pay for up front that contains all the options, items, skins, unlocks etc? I'd pay for that!!

Wisdom

Torch & Pitchfork Vendor
Original Sin 2 Donor

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)

June 24th, 2020, 16:53
Originally Posted by Wisdom View Post
The gameplay got in the way of the story for me.

You can get as invested in the lore as you want, there is plenty of it. Since it was created as an MMO first sometimes it felt a bit broken and clunky. "Why is this group upset at this group? We live a stones throw away from this whole other culture but we've never made contact? The richest nation in history can't repair their front gates or stop 3 bandits from raiding them?"
Yeah I had issues with the story as well for similar reasons. Id say that the game has a lot of interesting backstory and lore, but not much story. You'll start a quest and there might be a really interesting lore reason for why your killing 5 wolves or collecting a McGuffin from the spider lair. But the game play doesn't support the lore and it doesn't play any differently from any other generic fetch/kill quest.

The other issue I had was that the main story starts interesting, but then it just takes a back seat to wandering the world and doing side quests.

I did think the game had a lot of promise though and I could see it being a much better game with improvements. I'm not sure that this is going to go far enough though.

fadedc

SasqWatch

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
+1:

June 24th, 2020, 22:27
It felt exactly like an MMO with a bunch of fantasy background story added to it. It really felt like they hired a main writer/writing department and kept them separate from the design of the game. The lore and story was not well integrated into the world or the characters. BUT: there was a LOT of lore and story.

I don't remember any details about the game other than those observations. It also felt like they coached the writers to make the story "different" from other MMOs and stuff at the time. Now, that's an admirable thing to aim for. But the result felt like loads of High-Fantasy gobbledegook that all had its own "spin."

Maybe I'm not getting my point across well. But it was like the story/writing/characters/lore was Different because they just wanted it to be Different.

Forgettable game in every way.

FizzyShellfish

Watchdog

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)

June 25th, 2020, 00:01
I agree with him. Biggest problem of KoA was its lack of difficulty. I actually installed cheat engine to the system in order to make the game more challenging back in the day. Another problem was the lack of variety in monster types. In games that huge this can be a big trouble. I hope these will be addressed with this new version but I don't hold my breath.
--
"Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it."
Terry Pratchett, Reaper Man

Gokyabgu

Keeper of the Watch
Original Sin 2 Donor

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » KoA: Reckoning - How Will Re-Reckoning Improve the Gameplay?