Are you a multiplayer? - RPGWatch Forums
|
Your donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » Comments » Polls & Comments » Are you a multiplayer?

View Poll Results - Do you play in multiplayer mode?

Never 50 65.79%
Sometimes 22 28.95%
Regularly 1 1.32%
Frequently 2 2.63%
Always 1 1.32%
Voters: 76. You may not vote on this poll

Default Are you a multiplayer?

March 6th, 2021, 00:00
Luethar sent us a new poll, which I tweaked a bit. We are now asking if a game has the option to play with others, do you use that option?

Share your opinions with us.
--
In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move. Douglas Adams
There are no facts, only interpretations. Nietzsche
Some cause happiness wherever they go; others whenever they go. Oscar Wilde

Myrthos

Cave Canem
Administrator
RPGWatch Team

Mentioned: 139 Post(s)

March 6th, 2021, 00:13
It kind of depends. I don't enjoy MMOs, and the co-op mode of some RPGs is fine in principle, but among my friends and our lives I don't find it very practical.

What I do occasionally get into is brief tactical or sports games, where you have a session, and that's the end of it. Even before online play, my earliest experiences of really great two-player video games were the EA Sports titles on the Megadrive. I mean, we had really great late nights having championships with the original NHL and Madden.
--
"I cannot define the real problem, therefore I suspect there's no real problem, but I'm not sure there's no real problem."
Richard Feynman

Ripper

Ngikufisela iwela

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)

March 6th, 2021, 06:27
Shouldn't come as a surprise but never. Lone wolf all the way. Simply put I played MMO's just never enjoyed them, nor do I play Co-op as most friends don't game anymore.
--
“Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that.”

Couchpotato

Laziest Man Alive

Mentioned: 108 Post(s)

March 6th, 2021, 08:05
A long time ago, I was an avid MP player. I really enjoyed some old school text based MUD or online space shooter such as Subspace and Infantry. Nowadays, I find playing SP game much simpler and practical.

vanedor

Keeper of the Watch

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)

March 6th, 2021, 09:46
Never. Playing online with strangers has no appeal to me and is no option. On the other hand my friends and family and other people I know are no gamers. With them I do things like hiking. Even if some of them were gamers, making appointments for gaming would not fit into my life, since I don't play at predefined times, but spontaneously.

Edit: When my daughter was a child, we played super mario cart, and when she was a teenager a little bit of Duke3d coop, but that was a long time ago.

bkrueger

Nothing to see here.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

March 6th, 2021, 11:07
The poll is about frequency, could be interesting to have another one later, about preferred style of MP game with multiple choices

Sometimes and in co-op with people I know, that's really the best formula for me.

Paid or small alpha/indie projects MMORPG were fine too, fewer trolls, but just eating too much time. Paid MMORPGs are much about fetch quests and DLC events but they are high quality graphics, it's fun a little while then it's quickly getting fixated on tactics and exploits to level up in group. Projects in development are fun because you get to know people in a different context, it's less focused on the gameplay alone.

DM mode of games that support SP+DM (not MMORPGs) are in general full of trolls who are not interested in playing the game so I'm not even trying anymore. Same for "free" MMORPGs.

Redglyph

Keeper of the Watch

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)

March 6th, 2021, 13:55
I picked sometimes: I only play co-op very occasionally with the better half, but that's it.
--
Exitus acta probat.

wiretripped

Machiavellian
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)

March 6th, 2021, 14:42
I have to answer - sometimes.
I do not have a standard cooper or group (guild), but in games with random mmoing I do use it sometimes for lulz and sometimes to feel the toxicity of mmo drones.
--
Toka Koka

joxer

The Smoker
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)

March 6th, 2021, 14:56
Only on the rare occasions my son and I have the same game and want to collect the mp achievements. I play ESO but ignore other people.
--
If you have no other choice but to kill, you have failed.
Ntwa kgolo ke ya molomo

Philistine

Keeper of the Watch
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)

March 6th, 2021, 14:59
I play a few multiplayer games with friends, but mostly play singleplayer games.

Ivanwah

Keeper of the Watch

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)

March 6th, 2021, 18:34
Never multi-player, but sometimes I'll try a mmo. Although these days I think I'm done with Everquest, and just focusing on Pantheon for now. If a game seems to focus on co-op or multi-player aspects, it can actually cause me to avoid purchasing it.

Carnifex

SasqWatch

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)

March 6th, 2021, 23:59
I played World of Warcraft for 12 years and the only other game is Fallout76 where I've barely communicated with another player. So my answer isn't never but I just can't see me playing any MMO unless it has significant single player content and I've run out of things to play.

Qayto

Watcher

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)

March 7th, 2021, 07:58
I'll call it "never" but there are some funky exceptions like Dragon's Dogma's pawn system or the competition between Steam friends in Just Cause 3.
--
The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common: instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views….
-- Doctor Who in "Face of Evil"

Zloth

I smell a… wumpus!?

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)

March 7th, 2021, 08:35
Sometimes, although it's been awhile. I used to play Quake 3 back in the day and also did some PvP in StarCraft.

I almost never do multiplayer in RPGs. The last one I did was ME: Andromeda which wasn't bad.

JDR13

SasqWatch
Original Sin Donor

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)

March 7th, 2021, 08:50
I prefer playing cRPG alone but other games I tend to play with my hubby

purpleblob

Mentioned: Post(s)

March 7th, 2021, 11:12
Pre-covid: never
Now: frequently

Covid really changed my appreciation for co-op games. A nice way to meet friends when you can't meet in real life.

Still I dislike MMOs. Never found any I liked. Turn-based party RPGs are my favorite co-op games. Fun to discuss tactics etc. when there is no time pressure.

largh

Sentinel

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)

March 7th, 2021, 14:19
No, Although I did play Everquest back when it was new and good for a year or two. And have also played board games such as chess and other board based type games online on occasion.

But I consider myself a solo gamer for sure when it comes to PC gaming and rpg gaming especially… I would not ever play a MMO shooter based game, for example. Most of the MMO games don't appeal or interest me in the least.
I'd rather play an old school or classical based solo rpg or solo first person shooter than those games.
--
To check out my games library, and see what recent games I'm playing, visit my steam profile! -- http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197982351404

Arkadia7

SasqWatch
Original Sin 2 Donor

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)

March 7th, 2021, 14:37
If mmos included, yep, i played wow and lineage 2 to death about 15 years ago, even repeated my first year in the univ because of lineage2 haha.
As for normal games with mp part, red faction guerilla, i played that game probably for 50h+ in the mp. All in all, dont think i played 10 games in total for serious in mp.
--
Favorite Game: Gothic II
My steam profile

porcozaur

S.T.A.L.K.E.R.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)

March 10th, 2021, 14:49
It's funny, we all want the tabletop experience but yet want to play alone, myself included!

Luethar

Watcher
RPGWatch Donor

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)

March 10th, 2021, 18:01
I have played MMO but never with anyone, so I put never.
--
c-computer, r-role, p-playing, g-game, nut-extreme fan
=crpgnut or just
'nut @crpgnut
aka survivalnut

crpgnut

Survival Game Nut
Original Sin Donor

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
RPGWatch Forums » Comments » Polls & Comments » Are you a multiplayer?