General News - Classic RPGs to play in 2021 @ Fextralife - RPGWatch Forums
|
Your donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » General News - Classic RPGs to play in 2021 @ Fextralife

Default General News - Classic RPGs to play in 2021 @ Fextralife

April 28th, 2021, 16:58
Redglyph spotted a new top RPG list on Fextralife:

Top 10 CRPG 2021: The Best Classic RPG Games to play on PC, Consoles, Mobile Switch

loading…

00:00​ Top cRPG Intro
00:50​ Dragon Age Origins
01:27​ Pillars of Eternity
02:12​ Divinity: Original Sin
03:05​ Tyranny
03:49​ Divinity: Original Sin 2
04:28​ Pillars of Eternity 2
05:11​ Pathfinder: Kingmaker
05:55​ Disco Elysium
06:37​ Wasteland 3
07:21​ Solasta: Crown of the Magister
08:09​ Pathfinder: Wrath of the Righteous
08:56​ Final Thoughts
More information.

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
RPGWatch Team
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

Mentioned: 91 Post(s)

April 28th, 2021, 17:43
And no, BG3 isn't there
Nobody believes it'll be released in 2021 it seems, probably with good reason.

I wonder how he made that list. I mean, taking an older DAO or PoE, but no Atom RPG, no AoD, no Torment: Tides of Numenera, no Encased (I know, I know, there's no release date)… Is he going for the easy, wider-audience?

Still, nice to see there's Pathfinder and Solasta!

Redglyph

Keeper of the Watch

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)

April 28th, 2021, 17:48
It looks like a fairy solid list (I'll ignore the easy chance to take pot-shots at Original Sin two). And yeah, it looks like he stuck to the mainstream choices for the most part, at least that's how interpret his picks here.

Carnifex

SasqWatch

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)

April 28th, 2021, 17:49
"Classic" starts in 2009 now, does it?

JFarrell71

SasqWatch

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)

April 28th, 2021, 19:05
Hard to disagree with that list, really. Only with calling them "Classic" seems off, but I guess it means they have a similar general gameplay reminiscent of cRPGs in previous decades.

Nereida

Keeper of the Watch

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)

April 28th, 2021, 19:35
Funny how it includes two games that have not been released yet.

"classic"… right.

I have played all these games except the last two (I'm waiting till the release) and Disco Elysium. I would say that the best one is Pathfinder: Kingmaker.

vanedor

Keeper of the Watch

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)

April 28th, 2021, 19:59
Originally Posted by JFarrell71 View Post
"Classic" starts in 2009 now, does it?
That's exactly what I thought too. Divinity: OS 2 and Wasteland 3 are already classics? That's too funny.

He obviously didn't mean it like that though. Just a poor choice of words.

JDR13

SasqWatch
Original Sin Donor

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
+1:

April 28th, 2021, 21:30
Well, it's the usual "Classic" of "Classic Role-Playing Games" (which were previously called Computer RPGs). I see no problem with that, it's a common acronym by now.

Redglyph

Keeper of the Watch

April 28th, 2021, 21:34
Originally Posted by Redglyph View Post
Well, it's the usual "Classic" of "Classic Role-Playing Games" (which were previously called Computer RPGs). I see no problem with that, it's a common acronym by now.
Yeah, I guess you are right. It's "classic" as in "regular non action, non roguelike, party based rpg"

vanedor

Keeper of the Watch

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)

April 28th, 2021, 21:34
I think it's more common for people to associate the term "classic" with both quality and age. Unless you're simply referring to a particular style which seems to be the case here.

Imo, he should have been more specific and just said "isometric" or "party-based" here. Not all classic crpgs were the same.
Last edited by JDR13; April 28th, 2021 at 21:44.

JDR13

SasqWatch
Original Sin Donor

April 28th, 2021, 21:58
He should probably just use "CRPG" to avoid the debate… or maybe he knew people love a debate

Many people use "Computer RPG", many others use "Classic RPG", or even "Classic Computer RPG"… I stand by Neverknowsbest's history lesson Computer RPG has become weird since there are other types of computer RPGs. "Classic" RPG reminds that this is about the early Computer RPGs.

The point is, both are widely used, so either one is fine by me.

EDIT: yes, isometric is quite explicit too (even if that's not always a real isometric view, but that's splitting hair)

Redglyph

Keeper of the Watch

April 28th, 2021, 22:35
People usually use the term "classic RPG" when they're talking about a classic RPG.

I don't have a problem with him using the term here. It's just that, when I think about classic RPGs, I also think about games like Dungeon Master, Wizardry, etc.

JDR13

SasqWatch
Original Sin Donor

April 28th, 2021, 22:40
They shouldn't list anything that is in Earlly Access or hasn't been released yet. They padded the list with the last 2 entries. Wait till the full game comes out before you start making these lists..

elkston

Sentinel

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
+1:

April 28th, 2021, 23:40
It's a different sense of the word "classic", I suppose. As in having a "timeless" quality. But the modern world is so full of hyperbole that I find it to be dubious usage. Come back in 20 years and see if they are still considered "classics".

rjshae

Periapt vs Paronomasia
RPGWatch Donor

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
+1:

April 29th, 2021, 00:22
Originally Posted by elkston View Post
They shouldn't list anything that is in Earlly Access or hasn't been released yet. They padded the list with the last 2 entries. Wait till the full game comes out before you start making these lists..
Why shouldn't they? It's about games to play in 2021 after all, and those are released in 2021. Those are actually the most relevant of the list, or they'd have called it "CRPGs you can still enjoy today".

Originally Posted by rjshae View Post
It's a different sense of the word "classic", I suppose. As in having a "timeless" quality. But the modern world is so full of hyperbole that I find it to be dubious usage. Come back in 20 years and see if they are still considered "classics".
Not far, "classic" because they have the same presentation as the classic RPGs (the early, original ones on computer).

Or maybe now CRPG is "Crowdfunded RPG"?

Redglyph

Keeper of the Watch

April 29th, 2021, 03:15
Computer
Role
Playing
Game
Nut.

Nothing classic about it.
--
c-computer, r-role, p-playing, g-game, nut-extreme fan
=crpgnut or just
'nut @crpgnut
aka survivalnut

crpgnut

Survival Game Nut
Original Sin Donor

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)

April 29th, 2021, 03:44
Why the hell does every genre of RPG's have an identity problem nowadays? It doesn't help when almost every goddamed game has incorporated RPG elements nowadays.
--
Rule#1- "You Can Only Have An Opinion If Its The Acceptable One Nowadays."

Couchpotato

Laziest Man Alive

Mentioned: 109 Post(s)

April 29th, 2021, 03:50
And yet the trashy ones tend to be pretty easy to root out. It certainly is an over-used title for genres these days.

Carnifex

SasqWatch

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)

April 29th, 2021, 06:55
Originally Posted by Couchpotato View Post
Why the hell does every genre of RPG's have an identity problem nowadays? It doesn't help when almost every goddamed game has incorporated RPG elements nowadays.
We probably need a distinction such as "weak" and "strong" RPG elements. It's weak, for example, when you have some control over the character in the forms of stats and load-out. But it's strong when there is a branching story line that is heavily influenced by non-combat decisions by the player.

rjshae

Periapt vs Paronomasia
RPGWatch Donor

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)

April 29th, 2021, 10:39
It's called variety, not necessarily a bad thing. Just looking at the CRPG analyzer tool of this site, there are a lot of parameters, each of which could indeed be "weak" or "strong" (or non-existent - for the tool it's just ON or OFF). So trying to compile all these parameters with a few acronyms won't always satisfy everyone. Especially when the acronyms themselves adapt with time

We have discussed quite a lot on "RPG" and "open-world" not long ago, it was obviously quite difficult to agree on those. I like to take the common, basic elements to say it's RPG, then specify the important additional features. Like RPG with heavy C&C, or CRPG with the 5E ruleset and TB combat. But it's not the case for other fans who have a higher standard for "RPG" (or "open-world", and other terms).

For ex, the CPRG analyzer tool defines the "must have" as character development, exploration and story (each having multiple criteria). Then "should have" adds combat.

Redglyph

Keeper of the Watch

RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » General News - Classic RPGs to play in 2021 @ Fextralife