Elder Scrolls VI - Still in Design Phase - RPGWatch Forums
|
Your donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » Elder Scrolls VI - Still in Design Phase

Default Elder Scrolls VI - Still in Design Phase

July 15th, 2021, 01:55
Gamingbolt reveals that The Elder Scrolls VI is still in the design phase according to Todd Howard.

"It's good to think of The Elder Scrolls 6 as still being in a design [phase]… but we're checking the tech: 'Is this going to handle the things we want to do in that game?' Every game will have some new suites of technology so Elder Scrolls 6 will have some additions on to Creation Engine 2 that that game is going to require." This seems to imply that the game could end up having some graphical features not seen in Starfield. But again, it's safe to assume that it's still several years off from release.

[…]
Thanks Farflame!

More information.

Silver

Spaceman
RPGWatch Team

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)

July 15th, 2021, 02:20
Hire some decent writers, Todd. I don't care how lovely the lighting is on cardboard NPCs.

JFarrell71

SasqWatch

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)

July 15th, 2021, 03:26
Oh is this another thread were we write what we wish Todd would change in his next game. If so it's pointless as everyone knows what the Bethesda formula is at this point.

Anyway I predict another 20+ million sold when it releases.

On a side note there is some talk about another game in development beside Starfield and Elder Scrolls VI. Just industry rumors so take it with a grain of salt.
--
"Facts are stubborn things, and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence." - John Adams

Couchpotato

Laziest Man Alive

Mentioned: 116 Post(s)

July 15th, 2021, 04:30
Originally Posted by Couchpotato View Post
On a side note there is some talk about another game in development beside Starfield and Elder Scrolls VI. Just industry rumors so take it with a grain of salt.
If they have another game concurrently in development it's probably a battle royale or something. Nothing to see here.

JFarrell71

SasqWatch

July 15th, 2021, 04:58
Correction it's Bethesda Austin and they made Fallout 76. So probably another MMO or online game. In that case not my cup of tea and the news is from may this year.
--
"Facts are stubborn things, and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence." - John Adams
Last edited by Couchpotato; July 15th, 2021 at 06:07.

Couchpotato

Laziest Man Alive

Mentioned: 116 Post(s)

July 15th, 2021, 09:25
Originally Posted by Couchpotato View Post
Correction it's Bethesda Austin and they made Fallout 76. So probably another MMO or online game. In that case not my cup of tea and the news is from may this year.
Austin makes Elder Scrolls VI? That's not good news for this game Todd did say it was SP though, or at least that it had a SP campaign, IIRC.

With Starfield in parallel and possibly yet another game, maybe that's the only way they can manage it. And I'd (selfishly) rather have ES6 made there than Starfield.

EDIT: right, it's ES6, not ES4, slip of the keyboard… But wow, perhaps it's getting a bit stale, isn't it?

In the meantime, Starfield is slated to release on November 11th 2022 for Xbox Series X/S and PC. Howard has spoken about the exclusivity of the title, both apologizing to those who are unhappy about it while promising that it will make for a better title. Stay tuned for more details in the meantime.
Nothing to apologize for, it's actually a good decision

Redglyph

SasqWatch

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)

July 15th, 2021, 17:36
Crazy, I know they have made and are working on other games but how many companies would after 10 years still be in the design phase of a game that sold over 20 million copies?

Saxon1974

Keeper of the Watch

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)

July 15th, 2021, 17:44
Get the story solid first, then worry about characters, graphics, and any audio necessary. Story first, always, I feel like I keep saying this for every single Bethesda release, perhaps this will be the one that they get correct.

Carnifex

SasqWatch

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)

July 15th, 2021, 17:58
I don’t care what they do with the story. I have well over 500 hours in Skyrim and haven’t ever completed the main quest.

Just give me a big sandbox I can fill with mods and I’ll be happy.

I do wonder what will release first Es6 or Skyfield, Skyrim modded in to starfield engine.

Imo.

Watcher

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

July 15th, 2021, 18:44
I liked the story a lot in FO4 and Skyrim so for me the story was fine. The NPC's in Skyrim sucked though - boring dull pack mules except for Serana who came later. Now the FO4 companions I adored - at least they had some more depth to them.

I did the story first in both games then spent the remaining thousands of hours sandboxing, role playing, modding, creating, and writing.
--
Character is centrality, the impossibility of being displaced or overset. - Ralph Waldo Emerson

wolfgrimdark

SasqWatch
Original Sin Donor

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)

July 15th, 2021, 19:15
Originally Posted by Redglyph View Post
Austin makes Elder Scrolls VI? That's not good news for this game Todd did say it was SP though, or at least that it had a SP campaign, IIRC.

With Starfield in parallel and possibly yet another game, maybe that's the only way they can manage it. And I'd (selfishly) rather have ES6 made there than Starfield.
I don't see TES VI being anything other than single-player if that's what you're worried about. They already have multiplayer games for TES and Fallout, and TES Online doesn't seem to be running out of steam anytime soon.

JDR13

SasqWatch
Original Sin Donor

Mentioned: 105 Post(s)

July 15th, 2021, 19:20
I really hope they are designing a new engine but I know that's not going to happen.

Ivanwah

Keeper of the Watch

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)

July 15th, 2021, 19:41
Will buy it. Bethesda is good at their shtick. That makes far from perfect games, obviously (I would really like to see the Radiant AI promised in Oblivion, for example), but they still overlap with enough of my preferences well enough to let me enjoy hundreds of hours with them.

Irian

Atheistic Pirate

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

July 15th, 2021, 19:43
Originally Posted by JDR13 View Post
I don't see TES VI being anything other than single-player if that's what you're worried about. They already have multiplayer games for TES and Fallout, and TES Online doesn't seem to be running out of steam anytime soon.
That's not really what worries me, I think it had been confirmed in an interview 3 years ago, though the phrasing was a bit ambiguous, that TES VI and Starfield were meant to be single player.

But what I'm concerned about is the content, because the team has mostly an MP experience. Is Todd Howard the only creative director on all those games? Or will he have to leave a lot of freedom to each team?

Redglyph

SasqWatch

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)

July 15th, 2021, 19:59
Originally Posted by Redglyph View Post
But what I'm concerned about is the content, because the team has mostly an MP experience. Is Todd Howard the only creative director on all those games? Or will he have to leave a lot of freedom to each team?
For something as important to them as TES, I imagine they probably shift people around as needed. If it is being developed in Austin, that doesn't necessarily mean it's going to be the exact same team that developed FO 76.

JDR13

SasqWatch
Original Sin Donor

July 15th, 2021, 20:25
I think the MS acquisition might have saved us from everything-is-a-service now at Bethesda. MS have a different incentive to actually provide the games people want on their platforms, whereas most large publishers now are mesmerized by the fabulous riches if you manage to get a GAAS hit.
--
"I cannot define the real problem, therefore I suspect there's no real problem, but I'm not sure there's no real problem."
Richard Feynman

Ripper

Ngikufisela iwela
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)

July 15th, 2021, 20:34
With 13 to 15 years between each Elder Scrolls release, VI might be my last, assuming I'm here in 24-25.
--
If I'm right but there is no wife around to acknowledge it, am I still right?

TheMadGamer

SasqWatch
Original Sin Donor

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)

July 15th, 2021, 20:42
Originally Posted by Ivanwah View Post
I really hope they are designing a new engine but I know that's not going to happen.
Yes, it is. They've said so.

JFarrell71

SasqWatch

July 15th, 2021, 20:43
Originally Posted by Carnifex View Post
Get the story solid first, then worry about characters, graphics, and any audio necessary.
There's no story worth giving a crap about without characters.

JFarrell71

SasqWatch

July 15th, 2021, 21:00
Originally Posted by JFarrell71 View Post
Yes, it is. They've said so.
They've also said that before though.

JDR13

SasqWatch
Original Sin Donor

RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » Elder Scrolls VI - Still in Design Phase