NEO: The World Ends with You - Review - RPGWatch Forums
|
Your donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » NEO: The World Ends with You - Review

Default NEO: The World Ends with You - Review

September 13th, 2021, 13:18
RPGamer reviews NEO: The World Ends with You. This action-RPG is currently available on PS4 / Switch, and will be availabe on Epic Game Store for PC this summer 2021.

Take a Bow to the Moon

It took thirteen years, but Square Enix's urban fantasy RPG The World Ends with You finally received its much deserved follow-up. NEO: The World Ends with You is almost exactly what one would hope for in a follow-up, and Square Enix and h.a.n.d. have done a fine job transposing the distinct gameplay of the original onto modern systems. Though there are a few weaker elements, primarily combat, they're overridden by the audiovisual style and another engrossing tale and cast.

It first bears noting that though NEO: The World Ends with You brings in new protagonists and other major characters, it's very much a sequel and it's recommended that players are familiar with the events of The World Ends with You. Taking place three years after the first game, NEO's main protagonist is high school student Rindo Kanade, who -- along with his friend Tosai "Fret" Furesawa -- is drawn into a new edition of the Reaper's Game. This is a week-long competition for those who have recently died and takes place in a plane called the Underground, which semi-interacts with the real world and is home to Noise, hostile manifestations of negative emotions. Those who lose the Game are erased, while the winners get their wish granted.

[…]

This year has already been a strong one for RPGs, and NEO: The World Ends with You just adds to that case. The opportunity to return to Square Enix's take on Shibuya has been far too long coming, but now that it's here, it's immensely pleasing to say that NEO: The Worlds Ends with You does everything I was hoping. Despite some repetitive combat, the rest of the experience more than makes up for it, with the narrative, audio, and visuals combining excellently to make the game enthralling for the length of its forty-plus-hour runtime.
More information.

Redglyph

SasqWatch
RPGWatch Team

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)

September 13th, 2021, 14:19
Not gonna lie I thought this was the NEO Scavenger sequel. Disappointed.
--
"Wise men speak because they have something to say; Fools because they have to say something." & "What is the secret to eternal happiness? To not argue with fools."

Couchpotato

Armchair Contrarian

Mentioned: 122 Post(s)

September 13th, 2021, 19:58
I wouldn't have guessed this was from Square Enix. It doesn't look like their typical style whatsoever.

JDR13

SasqWatch
Original Sin Donor

Mentioned: 110 Post(s)

September 13th, 2021, 20:33
I found that weird too.

Redglyph

SasqWatch
RPGWatch Team

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)

September 14th, 2021, 09:13
After seeing all the praise the first game was receiving on different forums I found my copy and played it on 3DS. I usually find weird japan game design amusing. Here I didnt feel it that way. Especially combat on touch screen was terrible. Anyway, when they made remake on Switch I somehow convinced myself that I didnt give it proper chance and the combat will surely be better after update and on bigger screen. Also reviews were positive. So I bought the Switch release. Being disappointed second time Im not able to give sequel chance at this point. Maybe in some distant future, where I forget most of this experience.

Andrew23

Keeper of the Watch

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)

September 14th, 2021, 10:43
The graphic style is quite interesting. I would be tempted to give it a try only because of it.

Nereida

Fallen Aasimar

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » NEO: The World Ends with You - Review