RPGWatch Feature - Wildermyth Review - RPGWatch Forums
|
Your donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » RPGWatch Feature - Wildermyth Review

Default RPGWatch Feature - Wildermyth Review

October 4th, 2021, 11:26
The advertising for Wildermyth used some keywords, which gave Forgottenlor some doubts when he picked the game up. Find out in this review if those doubts were warranted.

Procedural generation is one of those things with me. In theory it sounds great, in practice I usually find it disappointing. Random maps I find ok. Random treasure works in some games, like Diablo for instance. I've played some roguelikes I've enjoyed for 20 hours or so, but others invest hundreds of hours in these games. I've found procedural generation in more classic rpgs almost always inferior to hand placed material, though. Still, I picked up Wildermyth, because it was advertised as story and character heavy, as well as capturing the feel of a tabletop game, which I found intriguing at the same time as I found it hard to believe.
More information.
--
In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move. Douglas Adams
There are no facts, only interpretations. Nietzsche
Some cause happiness wherever they go; others whenever they go. Oscar Wilde

Myrthos

Cave Canem
Administrator
RPGWatch Team

Mentioned: 163 Post(s)

October 4th, 2021, 12:20
Like always - a quality review from you - Thank You Forgottenlor!

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
RPGWatch Team
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
+1:

October 4th, 2021, 16:20
I think there is also multiplayer in this game. I didn't try it but I am sure I heard something about that.

showtime

Watcher

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)

October 4th, 2021, 17:52
Reading this only makes me want to play the game even more, thanks for the awesome review, Forgottenlor!

Carnifex

SasqWatch

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)

October 4th, 2021, 22:17
Very good review
It's on my wishlist.

Pladio

Guardian of Nonsense
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin Donor

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)

October 4th, 2021, 22:59
Excellent review. I own and have been enjoying this game as well. It reminds me a little of somebody's home-ruled D&D tabletop game complete with simple yet interesting game mechanics, a "paper-doll" miniatures style combat on a grid, etc etc. But the best thing for me about this game?

The stories. It's a storytelling engine, like some people call Rimworld. But the story here is more spelled out and less esoteric - your characters will fall in love, have children, grow old, die, and watch their kids take up the adventuring life. Some quests have a silly bent to them, some are downright sad and almost evoked emotion even in this old, unfeeling grognard. Usually I have to think a dog is in danger to reach that level of human empathy.

Really good game. Excellent review.
--
My mother said that dreams aren't real. But nightmares are.

FurtiveNyctophile

Sentinel

October 5th, 2021, 00:07
Thanks for this review! This game deserves more publicity.

Drithius

Laughing Gnome

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)

October 5th, 2021, 00:30
Good review and I agree.
--
If you don't stand behind your troops, feel free to stand in front.

rune_74

SasqWatch
Original Sin 2 Donor

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)

October 5th, 2021, 00:35
Allow me to add a little bit of negativity. I'll pass as the game doesn't interest me.

Still it's another good article @forgottenlor.
--
“Opinions are like assholes, everybody's got one and everyone thinks everyone else's stinks.”

Couchpotato

Professional Shitposter

Mentioned: 138 Post(s)

October 5th, 2021, 00:44
I got this game some weeks back, and it didn't really grab me, tho I had a bit of fun with the combat. There were many aspects that felt one-dimensional and a bit bland to me, but in a time where I was more bored in general, it would be something I could get into.

Nereida

Fallen Aasimar

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)

October 5th, 2021, 00:47
For me well I hate, no I despise games that use procedural generation. I know why smaller developers use it, but the method is becoming vastly overused like pixel-art.
--
“Opinions are like assholes, everybody's got one and everyone thinks everyone else's stinks.”

Couchpotato

Professional Shitposter

Mentioned: 138 Post(s)

October 5th, 2021, 03:09
A good solid review. I like how you broke that up and explained things.

I own the game and have played it for a while before I got pulled into some other games. I will return to it later when I have a break between games.

The art style and visuals were cute and they didn't bother me. Oddly enough the one thing I had trouble with is getting too attached to my character - which is something that happens to me in all games. So I didn't like them growing old and dying. Since raising families and generations of hero's is a large part of the game that presented a problem I haven't been able to work around yet. So I set it aside. It has been fun for doing basic chunks of missions though.
--
Character is centrality, the impossibility of being displaced or overset. - Ralph Waldo Emerson

wolfgrimdark

SasqWatch
Original Sin Donor

Mentioned: 65 Post(s)
+1:

October 5th, 2021, 07:58
Good review.

At first glance of a screen shot and seeing the word "procedural" I would have just skipped this but after reading the review I am interested, and have put it on my wish list to maybe purchase at some point next year.

I like the comparison with co-op board games which have been popular recently. That's the only type of board game I enjoy, and I have been enjoying those a whole lot over the past few years -- especially Gloomhaven, Middara, and Star Wars Imperial Assault (not co-op but I play controlling both sides) -- so that struck a note with me in this review.

NFLed

Keeper of the Watch

October 5th, 2021, 08:19
Very good review, thanks @forgottenlor!

Redglyph

SasqWatch
RPGWatch Team

Mentioned: 60 Post(s)

October 5th, 2021, 10:56
I like this game because of its unusual art style. Such creativity - to think "out of the box" regarding art styles - is rare these days.
--
"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." (E.F.Schumacher, Economist, Source)

Alrik Fassbauer

TL;DR
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)

October 5th, 2021, 12:56
Originally Posted by showtime View Post
I think there is also multiplayer in this game. I didn't try it but I am sure I heard something about that.
Indeed it does have multiplayer. Part of my weakness as a reviewer is that I only play and test the single player elements of the games I review.

forgottenlor

Font of Useless Knowledge
RPGWatch Team

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)

October 5th, 2021, 12:59
Originally Posted by wolfgrimdark View Post
A good solid review. I like how you broke that up and explained things.

I own the game and have played it for a while before I got pulled into some other games. I will return to it later when I have a break between games.

The art style and visuals were cute and they didn't bother me. Oddly enough the one thing I had trouble with is getting too attached to my character - which is something that happens to me in all games. So I didn't like them growing old and dying. Since raising families and generations of hero's is a large part of the game that presented a problem I haven't been able to work around yet. So I set it aside. It has been fun for doing basic chunks of missions though.
I agree to a certain degree, while I have the stories really well in memory, of the 40+ characters I made only few remain clearly in my memory. But those characters I really remember well. They usually were ones who were closely tied to the main story and survived a large part of the campaign.

forgottenlor

RPGWatch Team

October 5th, 2021, 13:01
Originally Posted by NFLed View Post
Good review.

At first glance of a screen shot and seeing the word "procedural" I would have just skipped this but after reading the review I am interested, and have put it on my wish list to maybe purchase at some point next year.

I like the comparison with co-op board games which have been popular recently. That's the only type of board game I enjoy, and I have been enjoying those a whole lot over the past few years -- especially Gloomhaven, Middara, and Star Wars Imperial Assault (not co-op but I play controlling both sides) -- so that struck a note with me in this review.
I play a lot of more complicated board games with friends and family, and have a number of co-op games on my shelf, so the mechanics of Wildermyth seemed very familiar to me.

forgottenlor

RPGWatch Team

October 5th, 2021, 14:49
Originally Posted by forgottenlor View Post
Indeed it does have multiplayer. Part of my weakness as a reviewer is that I only play and test the single player elements of the games I review.
I was commenting about description of the game. Review was great.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg wildermyth.JPG (22.7 KB, 45 views)

showtime

Watcher

October 5th, 2021, 15:48
Great review, Forgottenlor!

I already had wishlisted this game and I'll keep it so!
--
Sou tricolor de coração!

Sie sind das Essen und Wir sind die Jäger!

henriquejr

SasqWatch
Original Sin 2 Donor

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » RPGWatch Feature - Wildermyth Review