Shadows: Awakening - Ye Olde Gamer Review - RPGWatch Forums
|
Your donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » Shadows: Awakening - Ye Olde Gamer Review

Default Shadows: Awakening - Ye Olde Gamer Review

November 23rd, 2021, 00:52
Ye Olde Gamer has reviewed and recommended Shadows: Awakening.

loading…

Welcome to our Shadows Awakening review. I've mentioned before that in the realm of Action RPGS, Diablo II is the king… proof of this is that almost every game tries to replicate its winning formula in some capacity. Some, like Grim Dawn and Titan Quest, do it very successfully, and some well… not so much.

Last year I played Wolcen… a game that desperately tried to take the old Diablo II formula for a spin. The leveling system and the way in which you learn and improve your skills are different from your standard fare action rpg, it's a lot more story-based than your typical ARPG and it even introduces dodge roll mechanics in the hopes of bringing the game a little closer to a… Dark souls experience I suppose.It seems to me like the developers were trying hard to innovate but at the same time they weren't really considering the genre's possibilities beyond the Diablo II formula. And… well… however great Diablo II was… an action RPG can be different from Blizzard's Classic. Just like Capcom's Street Fighter formula is not the only game in town when it comes to fighting games, nor World War II the only theme for a shooter…

And I think Games Farm proved to every aspiring and established developer out there, that the action RPG genre may yet still be turned on its ear… And Shadows awakening does turn the genre on its ear.This is more of a story-based action role playing game than most of its peers and its combat its combat revolves more around "combat tactics" than character builds. Also it's not much of a looter, but it's still one of the best in the genre.In this video we'll cover Shadows Awakening as well as its two DLC's The Chromaton Chronicles and Necrophage's curse.
More information.

Silver

Spaceman
RPGWatch Team

Mentioned: 78 Post(s)

November 23rd, 2021, 07:06
Really..I thought the game was trash just like most of the Diablo clones. It didn't help the game was never finished on it's initial release, but that is another topic of discussion.

Wasn't a fan of the story and switching of different characters either.
--
“Opinions are like assholes, everybody's got one and everyone thinks everyone else's stinks.”

Couchpotato

Professional Shitposter

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
+1:

November 23rd, 2021, 16:10
it was a good game.

Telstar

CRPG lover

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

November 23rd, 2021, 19:56
And only 3 years after it was released.

JDR13

SasqWatch
Original Sin Donor

Mentioned: 117 Post(s)

November 23rd, 2021, 22:23
I tapped out when I saw Wolcen mentioned…../shiver.

Carnifex

SasqWatch

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » Shadows: Awakening - Ye Olde Gamer Review