Dungeon Encounters - Review @ PC Gamer - RPGWatch Forums
|
Your donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » Dungeon Encounters - Review @ PC Gamer

Default Dungeon Encounters - Review @ PC Gamer

January 14th, 2022, 21:10
PC Gamer checked out Dungeon Encounters:

Dungeon Encounters finds depth in stripping the JRPG down to its essentials

Clever combat and exploration hide behind the barebones presentation.

I really should have mounted this expedition a little earlier, but here I am with Rwenzo, rescuing my incapacitated heroes scattered across a dozen floors of this dungeon and delivering them back to town on the first floor.

The urgency is real because I've realised I've been risking a permanent game over with every battle. If my party is wiped by the ever-increasing threats I'm facing, I can only continue the game if I have conscious characters on the first floor to start a new party with. So I equipped Rwenzo with my best gear, left my other three party slots open to fill with rescued characters, and heroically departed with her on a quest of my own making, a desperate mission that emerged naturally from a game that initially seemed absurdly abstract and simplistic.

[…]

But each feature is designed down to its essentials, wringing as much utility out of it as possible. By returning to their roots in Wizardry and Ultima, Dungeon Encounters discards a great deal of the cruft that's built up around Japanese RPGs, and finds new purpose. A dungeon, a party, weapons, armour and monsters, and the promise that you can always go deeper, as long as you remember to hit sharks with magic and punch bone dragons with a bare fist, bypassing 42,080 points of physical defense to hit its single HP. Sometimes the tiny numbers are just as fun as the big ones.
More information.

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
RPGWatch Team
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

Mentioned: 110 Post(s)

January 15th, 2022, 08:36
Game aside, that was a very clear and well written review. Somebody with no idea of the game could read that and get a decent opinion as to what the heck it's about.

--
My mother said that dreams aren't real. But nightmares are.

FurtiveNyctophile

Sentinel

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

January 15th, 2022, 18:47
I totally agree with Furtive. I've not been interested in this game, well, other than cursory musings, yet reading that review left me wanting to explore this offering from within, not simply being satisfied with a review. And that should be the goal of anyone reviewing products, in my opinion.

Carnifex

SasqWatch

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » Dungeon Encounters - Review @ PC Gamer