Total War: Warhammer III - Preview @ Wccf Tech - RPGWatch Forums
|
Your donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » Total War: Warhammer III - Preview @ Wccf Tech

Default Total War: Warhammer III - Preview @ Wccf Tech

January 25th, 2022, 14:23
Wccf Tech have posted their first impression of Total War: Warhammer III. The game releases April 17th.

Total War: Warhammer III Preview - Chaos Coming

Fifty turns. Fifty isn't a small number when you think about it. If you hit level 50 when World of Warcraft was first released, you'd very nearly made it. Fifty turns are all it takes to complete an easy game in some 4X titles. Fifty turns are never a lot when it comes to Total War; even on the easier modes, that much is sure. Fifty turns are what I got with Total War: Warhammer III in a recent preview, though I repeated those fifty turns multiple times as I tried out both the Grand Cathay and the Legion of Chaos factions.

Cutting to the point, Total War: Warhammer III is by far the biggest of the Total War: Warhammer trilogy. There are eight factions at launch, each with unique features (two of which I'll talk about later). These inhabit a map of absolutely massive scale and what seems to be a more story-driven approach than before in the series, rivalling that of Total War Saga: Troy and above that of Total War: Warhammer II.

[…]

Like all other games in the series, Total War: Warhammer III will offer a tremendous amount of replay value thanks to the ever-constant emergent gameplay. The addition of an increasingly focused story, your race against everybody else, and the new features explored in just two of the factions is lining up to be yet another great outing in the series. Total War: Warhammer III is one I can't wait for, and I'm counting down the days until its release on the 17th of February.
More information.

Redglyph

SasqWatch

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)

January 25th, 2022, 15:29
I enjoyed the first game, but never got around to buy the second due to wanting the "complete" experience. Hopefully they'll release a cheapish bundle of game two when three comes closer.

SveNitoR

Keeper of the Watch

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)

January 25th, 2022, 16:25
I enjoyed both first and second game. I really like all the different mechanics of the different factions. And the story modes are also great. And its possible to put both games together to get new play mode on huge map with all factions from both games.

I agree its not cheap, especially if you buy on release and then each DLC separately. But considering amount of gametime I got out from it, it provided good value for the money.

Andrew23

Keeper of the Watch

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)

January 25th, 2022, 17:50
Releases Feb 17. Nearly gave me a heart attack there.

FoulFoot

Traveler

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)

January 26th, 2022, 00:56
The latest TW were lacking features compared to the old ones such as Shogun. I wonder about this…

Telstar

CRPG lover

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

January 26th, 2022, 02:50
I just recently picked up both part 1 and 2 (and all DLC) during the new year sales for a good price (on fanatical). I am loving them so far, probably my favourite games in the last 12 months. I haven't enjoyed a TW game since the original TW Rome but these have got me hooked big time. I am considering pre-ording part 3.

Definately part 1 was lacking a bit on the feature side but from what I can see 2 (to a lesser extent) and 3 have mostly filled out the features. The only thing I see missing now is proper unit formations (loose formation for archers, spear for calavary etc) - which while nice - do lead to a little bit too much micromanagement when you have 3 armies (60 units) in a battle .
--
Favourite RPGs of all time: Wizardry 6, Ultima 7/7.2, Fallout2, Planescape Torment, Baldurs Gate 2+TOB, Jagged Alliance 2, Ravenloft: The stone prophet, Gothic 2, Realms of Arkania:Blade of destiny (not the HD version!!) and Secret of the Silver Blades.

bjon045

SasqWatch

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)

January 26th, 2022, 08:06
Was never a fan of world base building thing in TW. Turn based mode was bad due to horrible Ai.

So the whole single-player campaign is meh at best… But fights were always fun when we did them on lan. Sadly i can't buy a game just for half gameplay. Maybe if they ever do a single-player campaign where you have persistent army and move from mission to mission…

Dolby

Watchdog

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)

January 26th, 2022, 09:53
The strategy layer has been (very) weak in all the TW games. I really don't expect anything different here.

These games are like bigger budget Paradox titles. They remake the same game over and over with minimal changes - and they release an endless wave of DLC for them as well.

It's a pretty good printing press for money though, as there's no shortage of fans.

DArtagnan

Mentioned: Post(s)

January 26th, 2022, 09:56
When the word "war" is repeated twice in the title, it should not be a surprise that the game is only about war (played the 2nd one). I enjoyed some of it but got bored pretty quick. I wish they had added a bit more kingdom building (Civ style for instance) to add variation and so that cities falling under enemy armies would feel worse. Also some RPG elements, such as short adventures with a hero could have been fun. Sort of stuff that is in Age of Wonders 3, which I liked a lot more than TW:W2.

largh

Keeper of the Watch

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)

January 26th, 2022, 09:58
Originally Posted by DArtagnan View Post
These games are like bigger budget Paradox titles. They remake the same game over and over with minimal changes - and they release an endless wave of DLC for them as well.

It's a pretty good printing press for money though, as there's no shortage of fans.
They do that with the physical games as well. Seems to be the business strategy of Games Workshop.

largh

Keeper of the Watch

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » Total War: Warhammer III - Preview @ Wccf Tech