RPGWatch - GOTY 2021 - Most Anticipated RPG - RPGWatch Forums
|
Your donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » RPGWatch - GOTY 2021 - Most Anticipated RPG

Default RPGWatch - GOTY 2021 - Most Anticipated RPG

February 8th, 2022, 19:33
Here are the results of the votes for the most anticipated/promising RPG of this year. With some luck they actually get released as well.

More information.
--
In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move. Douglas Adams
There are no facts, only interpretations. Nietzsche
Some cause happiness wherever they go; others whenever they go. Oscar Wilde

Myrthos

Cave Canem
Administrator
RPGWatch Team

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)

February 8th, 2022, 20:02
Expeditions: Rome has already been released and I can tell everyone - it's a very good game.

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
RPGWatch Team
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)

February 8th, 2022, 20:05
Starfield lol, people still trust bethesda
anyway 2022 seems dedicated to AAAs, unlike 2021
--
Steam
Favorite game Witcher 3/Gothic 2

Lolozaur

S.T.A.L.K.E.R.

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)

February 8th, 2022, 20:16
A lot of new good games to be looking forward to!

No, wait. The first two are the same as last year, those are old games to be looking forward to…

Redglyph

SasqWatch

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)

February 8th, 2022, 20:19
Originally Posted by Lolozaur View Post

Trust them for what?

I don't know… their last single players crpgs were pretty good. Fallout 4, Skyrim… I'm not sure it's so ridiculous to expect something good with their upcoming ones.

vanedor

Keeper of the Watch

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)

February 8th, 2022, 20:21
Really Baldur's Gate III once again? Maybe in a few more years probably 2025.

Anyway bring on the big budget RPGs as that has been a literal drought for years.
--
“Opinions are like assholes, everybody's got one and everyone thinks everyone else's stinks.”

Couchpotato

Rotten Potato

Mentioned: 164 Post(s)
+1:

February 8th, 2022, 20:28

JDR13

SasqWatch
Original Sin Donor

Mentioned: 135 Post(s)

February 8th, 2022, 21:34
I haven't touched BGIII, but seems a lot of people have spent meaningful time playing the early access game. If things were shaping up for it to be a legendary game, wouldn't we be hearing more people talking about how legendary it is shaping up to be? Is anyone saying that?

bizorker

Watchdog
Original Sin 2 Donor

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)

February 8th, 2022, 22:31
I don't know enough about Starfield right now to be convinced Bethesda is going to knock it out of the park. Colony Ship seems more compelling as a sci-fi RPG. BGIII looks intriguing, but I'll wait until it's finished and polished up.

rjshae

Periapt vs Paronomasia
RPGWatch Donor

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
+1:

February 8th, 2022, 22:41
More people need to be anticipating Knights of the Chalice two!!~

In any case, we've got some great games upcoming for all to enjoy, hopefully later this year or early next.

Carnifex

SasqWatch

Mentioned: 67 Post(s)

February 8th, 2022, 23:00
Originally Posted by bizorker View Post
I haven't touched BGIII, but seems a lot of people have spent meaningful time playing the early access game. If things were shaping up for it to be a legendary game, wouldn't we be hearing more people talking about how legendary it is shaping up to be? Is anyone saying that?
Legends are born once memories grow sweeter with time. If you look at the BG3 subforum, you'll notice that many Watchers liked the game. One cannot stay hyped forever and most seem to have moved to other games while waiting for Larian to finish the game. Whenever that is. Most likely not this year.

largh

Keeper of the Watch

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)

February 10th, 2022, 12:34
Originally Posted by Lolozaur View Post
anyway 2022 seems dedicated to AAAs, unlike 2021
Trust? No. But I have hope, and if they do deliver, it could be a very good game.

SveNitoR

Keeper of the Watch

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)

February 16th, 2022, 21:28
Originally Posted by Carnifex View Post
More people need to be anticipating Knights of the Chalice two!!~

In any case, we've got some great games upcoming for all to enjoy, hopefully later this year or early next.
KotC2 is on my radar but definitely not in my top three. While a turn-based tactical RPG with 3.5e rules appeals to me, from what I gather the main campaign is pretty much just a series of combat encounters with little story, exploration, questing, etc. So the official content probably wouldn't hold my interest for long as I've already got ToEE for great 3.5e battles.

However, since the game is shipping with a toolset I may be interested in getting it as someone could end up making something I'm more likely to enjoy. If it's user friendly I may even try my hand at making something with it.

While graphics aren't that important to me, I do find the token thing rather off-putting (but IIRC they announced an option to have sprites instead?)

daveyd

Turn-based lifeform

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)

February 16th, 2022, 22:56
What I saw with Kotc2 a year or two ago was not great enough to make me anticipate the game much. To the contrary, I almost regretted participating to the kickstarter.

vanedor

Keeper of the Watch

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)

February 17th, 2022, 06:42
Originally Posted by daveyd View Post
KotC2 is on my radar but definitely not in my top three. While a turn-based tactical RPG with 3.5e rules appeals to me, from what I gather the main campaign is pretty much just a series of combat encounters with little story, exploration, questing, etc. So the official content probably wouldn't hold my interest for long as I've already got ToEE for great 3.5e battles.

However, since the game is shipping with a toolset I may be interested in getting it as someone could end up making something I'm more likely to enjoy. If it's user friendly I may even try my hand at making something with it.

While graphics aren't that important to me, I do find the token thing rather off-putting (but IIRC they announced an option to have sprites instead?)
Check out this video from a few weeks ago of someone playing the official campaign in sprites mode:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fBKJ7kLDXGk

The graphics look fine to me now (no sign of the token stupidity)…and while I'm sure it's combat-focused, it doesn't just look like a series of combat encounters either.

Stingray

SasqWatch
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
+1:

February 17th, 2022, 19:01
Yup, I've no issues waiting for this game, considering the changes that have taken place over the last eighteen months. In Pierre I trust!

Carnifex

SasqWatch

Mentioned: 67 Post(s)
RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » RPGWatch - GOTY 2021 - Most Anticipated RPG