Quantcast
Bad Gateway? - RPGWatch Forums
|
Your donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » General Forums » RPGWatch » Bad Gateway?

Default Bad Gateway?

May 14th, 2017, 16:44
For about 8 hours yesterday I kept getting Bad Gateway and timeouts on rpgwatch.com
Was that something on your end?

Wisdom

Seeker
Original Sin 2 Donor

May 14th, 2017, 16:58
It was an attempt to hack RPGWatch. The number of requests brought things to a halt. We also got over 600 attempts to hack us via the 'Contact Us', resulting in that same amount of mails and a load of attempts to get root access to the server.
The log files show that there has been no validated access to the server, but to be sure, I am still checking things.
--
In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move. Douglas Adams
There are no facts, only interpretations. Nietzsche
Some cause happiness wherever they go; others whenever they go. Oscar Wilde

Myrthos

Cave Canem
Administrator
RPGWatch Team

May 14th, 2017, 17:28
Just so we are clear. It wasn't me!

Wisdom

Seeker
Original Sin 2 Donor

+1:

May 14th, 2017, 19:19
But than you would say that wouldn't you?
--
"As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron." — H. L. Mencken

zahratustra

SasqWatch

+1:

May 14th, 2017, 22:15
First the NHS, now the Watch. I suspect the hand of S.P.E.C.T.R.E.
--
"Orwell was almost exactly wrong in a strange way. He thought the world would end with Big Brother watching us, but it ended with us watching Big Brother." Alan Moore

Ripper

Ngikufisela iwela

May 14th, 2017, 23:42
I noticed it too. Had to go to the Codex for my bedtime reading. I've showered four times today.

tomasp3n

Keeper of the Watch
Original Sin Donor

+1:

May 15th, 2017, 05:51
True story

I used to support a software that required all the users to be on static gateways. We partnered with Dell. Most of these customers were switching from our old "dumb terminals" on I/O ports using command lines to a modern Windows 95 machines using our modern, GUI written in Visual Basic. Yes, it was in 2000 when I started this job.

Anyways, the stores would contract out to a local ISP as they got they got a thing called "the internet" in their store for the first time and they would be happy that it worked but suddenly their computers didn't work anymore.

So with the ISP's network people there I would get them on the phone and confirm they switched their PC's to DHCP.

I would explain to them that we needed them to use static IPs. They would "explain" to me that they "needed" to be dynamic to work with their internet. I told them, no they didn't. All they needed was to leave them as static, find out what the router's IP was and put that into the router's gateway.

I kid you not (and I got this more than once and so did everyone else on support), I would get the response from the ISP's network gurus,

We don't have Gateways; we use Dells.
--
Developer of The Wizard's Grave Android game. Discussion Thread:
http://www.rpgwatch.com/forums/showthread.php?t=22520

Lucky Day

Daywatch

+1:

May 15th, 2017, 08:30
Originally Posted by Lucky Day View Post

I kid you not (and I got this more than once and so did everyone else on support), I would get the response from the ISP's network gurus,

We don't have Gateways; we use Dells.
Some of those people… i'm curious how they ever get hired.

I was helping my friend recently get her ISP branded wireless router working properly, but we didn't have the setup access codes. When I called them up to get the info, this one kept trying to tell me that WEP was for PC WiFi, and WPA was for Apple WiFi……
I told him you better not be telling ANYONE to use WEP. I always wonder if he had an embarrassing conversation with his supervisor after that.
--

Caddy

Broken Screwdriver
Original Sin Donor

May 15th, 2017, 11:11
Originally Posted by Caddy View Post
When I called them up to get the info, this one kept trying to tell me that WEP was for PC WiFi, and WPA was for Apple WiFi……
I told him you better not be telling ANYONE to use WEP. I always wonder if he had an embarrassing conversation with his supervisor after that.
Must've been an Apple fan.

tomasp3n

Keeper of the Watch
Original Sin Donor

May 15th, 2017, 22:41
Probably a robot. I personally use home grown webservers. They might or might not be as secure as off the self solution; but cookie cutter hacks won't go very far.

you

Lazy_dog
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor

May 15th, 2017, 23:05
Originally Posted by Caddy View Post
Some of those people… i'm curious how they ever get hired.

I was helping my friend recently get her ISP branded wireless router working properly, but we didn't have the setup access codes. When I called them up to get the info, this one kept trying to tell me that WEP was for PC WiFi, and WPA was for Apple WiFi……
next time tell him to use Kerberos, then driveby with your laptop.
--
Developer of The Wizard's Grave Android game. Discussion Thread:
http://www.rpgwatch.com/forums/showthread.php?t=22520

Lucky Day

Daywatch

RPGWatch Forums » General Forums » RPGWatch » Bad Gateway?