Fable 2 - Thematic Failures @ Twenty Sided

Dhruin

SasqWatch
After praising Fable II as a SimRPG a few days back, Shamus Young lets rip on the main story:
I mentioned in my original post on Fable 2 that the plot is insultingly simplistic, ham-fisted, and perfunctory. It’s my only gripe with what is otherwise a stellar game. I do not count the hours I spent with Fable 2 as time squandered, but I do resent the main story and its self-indulgent idiocies. The main plot of a game is a pretty big thing to screw up, and the failure here is all-encompassing. The plot fails thematically, it fails logically, it fails dramatically, and - most importantly - it fails to be entertaining. It’s a dreadful chore to endure the key moments in the story of Fable 2, and I was always relieved when I was released from the iron grip of the narrative and allowed to go back to having fun.
More information.

Damn, if this is true ........and since no one has jumped in and said big fat liar :) , I will have to guess it's true.... I will never play this game. This just might be the most pathetic excuse for story I have ever heard. Too bad I am such a huge fan of well told stories, this sounds as bad as Fallout 3 ending but instead of just the ending being ridiculous, it's the whole damn story in Fable 2.

Thanks Shamus, yes I would have wanted to know ahead of time, as you mentioned. :)

It is amazing how the backlash is coming for yet another 'blockbuster'. My friend Matt at VGBlogger said in his recent review:

To say I’m shocked by all the accolades Fable II has been compiling since releasing in October is an understatement.

It's because most modern games acquire you to play once, and then move on before your brain melts.

Damn, if this is true ........and since no one has jumped in and said big fat liar :) , I will have to guess it's true.... I will never play this game.

Yep, I had the same sentiment after reading the article. When Peter Molyneux advertised that he 'solved the Han Solo problem' I suspected that he would go mad story-wise and overdo it - he seems to be that type of character - by selectively punishing people for not playing a jerk. Now I wish I would have been wrong ;)

P.S.: At least one good thing, though: no more waiting for a possible PC conversion :)

It's because most modern games acquire you to play once, and then move on before your brain melts.

Is that sort of the 'don't think too hard or you'll get a headache' thing? ;)

P.S.: At least one good thing, though: no more waiting for a possible PC conversion :)

My thoughts exactly ...

Damn, if this is true ........and since no one has jumped in and said big fat liar :) , I will have to guess it's true.... I will never play this game. This just might be the most pathetic excuse for story I have ever heard. Too bad I am such a huge fan of well told stories, this sounds as bad as Fallout 3 ending but instead of just the ending being ridiculous, it's the whole damn story in Fable 2.

Thanks Shamus, yes I would have wanted to know ahead of time, as you mentioned. :)

Well, then it's a good thing it isn't true. ;)

That is to say, this is an opinion and not a fact. The experience penalty he mentions for being "good" seems like a lot when it happens but a single trip through the Gauntlet tournament once you get back to shore more than makes up for what you lost in the Spire. That will take about 10 minutes and not 2 hours as he claims.

The bit about the dog isn't correct either. You'll still be able to complete treasure hunting quests but with a visual indication on your map instead of the dog guiding you.

As to the story itself, it is indeed full of cliches but in all honesty: what AAA game that you've played recently isn't? In my opinion the brilliant voice acting more than makes up for any holes in the story ... but to each his own.

Shrug. I think Fable 2 is a fun game and a huge improvement over Fable 1.

Back
Top Bottom