Votes: 9 5.8%
  • Origin

Votes: 12 7.7%
  • NWC

Votes: 4 2.6%
  • Spiderweb

Votes: 2 1.3%

• Total voters
the only reason I wouldnt say black isle as a developer, the in house interplay developer,

Is because icewind dale was so much more boring than baldurs gate.

I dont know why but in the 5 infinity engine games they made the very best one and then the only bad one imo

No, IWD is a great game just a very different one. It was entirely focused on battles and dungeons, had very little (if any?) sidequests, not a whole lot of dialogue either.

Because of its focus it was very fast paced and challenging, and its length didn't overstay its welcome. This made it very satisfying to finish. And because it was not 100 hours long and you got to create your own party, it was great for replays.

It also had an amazing musical score (a bit better than BG's, although that was excellent as well). And although it was the same engine as BG's, it had much nicer and more varied art design than BG.

If anything the only bad one was IWD 2 which made some improvements over IWD (more dialogue, some interesting quests, more voice overs) but was a bit tedious and had poor pacing (come on who put a puzzle-y Ice Palace in my dungeon crawler?).

And to be fair, by then the Infinity Engine just failed to impress after Morrowind and Dungeon Siege (looked pretty at the time, still sucked). And it wasn't so much looks either, it was still gorgeous 2D, but there were no surprises, same basic mechanics as previous games (at least Planescape mixed it up quite a bit).

If anything the only bad one was IWD 2 which made some improvements over IWD (more dialogue, some interesting quests, more voice overs) but was a bit tedious and had poor pacing (come on who put a puzzle-y Ice Palace in my dungeon crawler?).

And to be fair, by then the Infinity Engine just failed to impress after Morrowind and Dungeon Siege (looked pretty at the time, still sucked). And it wasn't so much looks either, it was still gorgeous 2D, but there were no surprises, same basic mechanics as previous games (at least Planescape mixed it up quite a bit).

It wasn't the mechanics that bothered me about IWD2, it was that the story just didn't stick with me at all. I lost interest the first time I played it, not so with IWD. Though I will say the ending was better. The ending for IWD was pathetic.

A little late, but mine are Mindcraft & Attic. I loved the MC (all three) and RoA series'.

Well of the 5 ie games ignoring the expansions

black isle made one really well written one with a great story, and then they made two with a group to kill in every room
that you and many people think are fun but nobody really thinks are great. They were different. I started and did not finish either because they got tedious especially the first one. iwd2 at least had higher resolution

And bioware made two that everyone loves.
So Im just saying everything black isle made wasnt super. Wasnt bad though.

Back
Top Bottom