A Dungeon Dragon
RPGWatch Team

November 29th, 2016, 04:01
Installing it now. : smooch::celebrate :

Fluent

A Dungeon Dragon
RPGWatch Team

November 29th, 2016, 04:07
I will update this thread with first impressions, etc., when I start playing. Already noticing that the install process is very smooth. Nicely done! BUT, if you do install the game, make sure to follow the steps outlined on the website. However, don't click the next step without making sure you get the proper links/files from the links on the right side of the page. Seems like a simple thing but I ended up downloading the installer and missing the data package the first time.

Other than that the install looks nice, Update button works with auto-installation. Sweet stuff. An option to NOT backup the original Skyrim files would be nice, though (it forces you to make a backup folder somewhere, as far as I can tell).

Oh, the updates have to be downloaded from the SureAI servers and the downloads are slow, bruh. I have to download 5 updates and still stuck on the first update. It's moving but slooooowly.

Impressions coming soon.

Fluent

A Dungeon Dragon
RPGWatch Team

November 29th, 2016, 04:25
Thank you for reminding me.

Now I have something that goes with another post here…something to play at Christmas
--
I can change almost anything… but I can't change human nature.

CelticFrost

SasqWatch

+1:

November 29th, 2016, 05:00
@ Fluent let me know how it plays now that it has been out a few months.
--

CelticFrost

SasqWatch

+1:

November 29th, 2016, 06:00
It plays well on my 970 GTX on High settings so far. Ultra was a slideshow when I reached this early outdoor area and I didn't bother yet to see what was causing that (probably just need a mega-rig to run it on that). There's also Very High but I didn't try that yet.

Anyway, super quick impressions after an hour or so. It's crazy. Takes the metaphysical/weird aspects from the second half and endgame of Nehrim and runs with them. Sets the tone immediately that it is going to be an odd game. I mean that in a good way, it's cool.

Load times were a little slow but could have something to do with being on Ultra settings at first. Graphics are nice. Music is nice. Overall has a very cool artistic vibe that is totally different than Skyrim with a slight tinge of weirdness and creepiness. I dig it but it's already 11 here and I want to get some sleep. Have a strong urge to keep playing, though…

Fluent

A Dungeon Dragon
RPGWatch Team

November 29th, 2016, 06:04
Thanks for the update.

I have a new system. Can I just have steam reinstall skyrim and download it?
--

CelticFrost

SasqWatch

November 29th, 2016, 06:10
Yeah, but download the "old" Skyrim and install it, since Enderal doesn't work with the Special Edition (yet…dunno if they are going to update it, etc.).

By the way, I installed this on an SSD and it was only 8 GB of extra data on top of what Skyrim is already (you have to download the installer .exe and then the 8 GB Enderal data, links on the site). I was surprised it was only 8 GB. Hoping the load times are good now after turning down the settings a bit.

Fluent

A Dungeon Dragon
RPGWatch Team

November 29th, 2016, 06:16
Originally Posted by Fluent View Post
Yeah, but download the "old" Skyrim and install it, since Enderal doesn't work with the Special Edition (yet…dunno if they are going to update it, etc.).

By the way, I installed this on an SSD and it was only 8 GB of extra data on top of what Skyrim is already (you have to download the installer .exe and then the 8 GB Enderal data, links on the site). I was surprised it was only 8 GB. Hoping the load times are good now after turning down the settings a bit.
Thanks I will do that sometime this week.
--

CelticFrost

SasqWatch

+1:

November 29th, 2016, 06:43
Graphics are a bit more than nice. Some of the textures and lighting are nuts. I think the resolution I'm playing at is fixed (the option was greyed out for me, and turning on a custom resolution involves some special function called One Tweak or something), so I don't think I'm at 4K resolution. Getting mostly 40+ FPS and 60 at times but some of the areas are dense with graphics and it goes down to 30-ish. So I'd like to toy with that to get a solid 60.

I can see myself spending all night playing this so I need to relax for now. But in true "old-school" style RPG fashion, I just had to run from a tough enemy that was much higher level. And the stat/character sheet is real nice, complete with several crafting skills, different skills and magic schools and some other interesting elements. Also, the perk "chart" is actually perk stones that are physical stones you interact with, which is also cool.

Just remember that the ` button then typing tcl will toggle collision if you get stuck in the terrain.

Fluent

A Dungeon Dragon
RPGWatch Team

November 29th, 2016, 16:31
Playing a bit more early this morning and the music is beautiful. The game is high quality all around so far.

Another note, if you click One Tweak in the launcher settings menu you can set the resolution, which should be set to 1920x1080 (highest option available) because then the Brightness slider will work correctly. The game will lock to your desktop/PC brightness level if you don't manually adjust the resolution in the launcher settings.

Also, the enemies are as expected - hand-placed! Loved that about Nehrim and it's great here so far. Already had 2 fun encounters where 1) an enemy I had no chance to beat and had to run past to get away, and 2) a tough enemy that I probably couldn't beat without luring it into a trap (which was prompted by a tutorial message). So, that's 2 really cool things already in the combat that I like about how SureAI does things.

Also, Adept (default) difficulty is challenging. Health doesn't auto-regenerate and things like food consumption to restore health, etc., are important. The game, like Nehrim, has more "heft" to the loot overall, meaning the things you find seem to be more useful and usable at any given time. There is also a neat Arcane Fever stat that you have to be careful about. Being exposed to too much Arcane energy (such as standing in a strange magic circle, or drinking certain potions and using certain magic spells) raises your Arcane Fever and if it reaches 100% you die. You can reduce the fever various ways, too, so it's not a permanent thing.

Also like Nehrim there are secrets, you can "climb" and there is a bit of vertical exploration where you can find hidden things. Well, you can't technically "climb" but you can find ways to jump up to higher areas or find paths leading to areas higher up.

Been playing a bit more and the game isn't quite open-world yet. The few areas I've visited thus far aren't linear (they are like open maps you can explore with nooks and crannies, etc.), but I think the game eventually opens up into a larger open-world.

Fluent

A Dungeon Dragon
RPGWatch Team

November 29th, 2016, 16:56
I am doing main story mostly, and enjoy it so far. A lot, actually.

muhabor

Watchdog

+1:

November 29th, 2016, 21:45
I loved the character building and exploring in Enderal. Was every bit as good as Skyrim in my mind. I did not enjoy the main story that much but I am sick of stories where you are the prophet or hero and must save everyone. There were some top notch quests though and I loved Enderal overall.
--
"From knowledge springs Power, just as weakness stems from Ignorance."

Hastar

Unspeakable
RPGWatch Donor

November 30th, 2016, 00:39
^ I like that post except the semi-spoiler about what the story was/is about. Come on, man.

Anyway, the game is good. 4 hours in or so and it's opened up quite a bit already and has that sort of Gothic-meets-Elder-Scrolls feel that Nehrim also had. There are paths cracking through the landscape and different routes to take and some overall good exploration thus far. The character building is Gothic-esque with Learning Points and all, and the world design is an interconnected world with little surprises and things to find tucked everywhere.

That brings me to a criticism that there is almost *too* much stuff to find. I would have liked to see a better loot system or maybe just less loot overall. Like Nehrim, though, the good loot is hand-placed and a bit rare so far, which works to great effect. When you pick up a magical item or staff, etc., it is actually worthwhile. Same with the food, etc. (I really like the food system and the health system. You don't auto-regenerate health, but you can eat food to regen health, but only outside of combat. Combat is dangerous and deadly. You can use potions in combat but that also slightly raises your Arcane Fever.). But I feel like a lot of the chests and barrels aren't too exciting (even if some chests have a bunch of stuff, there hasn't been any big surprises there…yet).

Overall it's really good so far. The story and cutscenes are pretty crazy. The way the game starts is so cool, IMO, lol. Totally unexpected and weird. The first hour or 2 of the game has a really strange tinge to it. Neat game. If you liked Nehrim then you should definitely play this one.

Fluent

A Dungeon Dragon
RPGWatch Team

November 30th, 2016, 02:41
For those like me that forgot that this is a Skyrim total conversion: http://sureai.net/games/enderal/
--
The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common: instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views….
-- Doctor Who in "Face of Evil"

Zloth

I smell a… wumpus!?

+1:

November 30th, 2016, 02:51
Originally Posted by Zloth View Post
For those like me that forgot that this is a Skyrim total conversion: http://sureai.net/games/enderal/
Check out Nehrim (the Oblivion total overhaul) as well. I played that one a ton and it was great!

By the way, I just found out that if you type 3840 x 2160 in the resolution window in the launcher settings, it will accept it and play the game in 4K. Pretty cool.

Fluent

A Dungeon Dragon
RPGWatch Team

December 1st, 2016, 07:03
I decided to start over and create a different character, this time going with a magic-based race rather than a merchant-based one (there are 4 different races to choose). You still can learn pretty much anything, it seems, but realizing I wanted to use magic more I thought going with the magical race was a good idea.

After a few hours I got back to the part I was at. I explored a few "optional" little spots here and there and they were short but sweet. The attention to detail is really high just like it was in Nehrim. There are little things hidden all over, whether it's a potion in a crack in the ceiling or an amethyst in a shallow body of water. The dam I explored seemed to have been used as a gem panning area, complete with nets and a few baskets which had a gem or two in them. Cool little atmospheric touch. Also, a torch is actually useful in the game. Turn up the brightness a tad bit in the settings but also grab some torches. They really light the area very well and actually make a visible difference and it is needed.

The music really needs to be mentioned. It's lovely. It sets the mood so perfectly and is reminiscent of Skyrim yet different. The general exploration themes are relaxing and hypnotic, sounding like they could have been in Skyrim, while the battle themes are exciting. The sound design overall is great, and there may be times you actually jump if you are playing with headphones (first time I encountered magical contamination made me jump, and sometimes an enemy can ambush you a bit). Also, my favorite sound would have to be the slightly odd piano music at times. The beginning cutscene in the game is a good example of this. Sort of like a "Mad World" type of vibe with a little weirdness. Neat.

The story is already engrossing and different from other RPGs. The in-game cutscenes are cool and hint towards some very interesting themes, and things that were explored in Nehrim are already being touched upon here. In short, it's a very different RPG with a very different story than most (IMO, this is one of the most unique aspects of both Nehrim and now Enderal).

I'd turn up the difficulty a bit, even though I've already died on Adept (I like a challenge, and there are 3 higher difficulties above Adept, I believe, including an "Iron Path" difficulty).

Overall, it's excellent. I may officially review it after I play it a bunch more, but so far it is a work of art. Don't wait for my review and just go download it now.

Fluent

A Dungeon Dragon
RPGWatch Team

December 2nd, 2016, 02:35
It's largely bug-free then?
--
The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common: instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views….
-- Doctor Who in "Face of Evil"

Zloth

I smell a… wumpus!?

December 2nd, 2016, 02:48
Does the install require a clean, unmodded copy of Skyrim or overwrite your install etc or does it live side by side? IIRC Nehrim required a vanilla OB to install into so you had to do a bit of fiddling if you didn't want to lose than carefully modded setup.

Edit - reading the wiki seems the installer backs up your Skyrim install for you…?
--
"You will find your death pleasant, but your fate unbearable." - Hionhurn the Executioner

KaosWarMonk

Sentinel

December 2nd, 2016, 03:18
Originally Posted by Zloth View Post
It's largely bug-free then?
So far for me, yeah. The one bug I've seen was an NPC being attacked in a cutscene (an actual cutscene where you are stuck in place and watching it) and then disappearing (so it appeared the attacker had stabbed the air, ). That is all I have really seen in terms of bugs.

Oh, and for the record, the second time I played that section after restarting the game, the cutscene worked fine and the character was visible.

Oh, and one more that may be able to be replicated. Food only restores your health out of combat (potions/spells are used during combat). One time I thought I was out of combat and I ate some food that was favorited in the Favorites menu and it didn't do anything. I think it was because I was still in combat (the battle music was playing), and the enemy was just around the corner. Not sure if that is a bug or what.

Originally Posted by KaosWarMonk View Post
Does the install require a clean, unmodded copy of Skyrim or overwrite your install etc or does it live side by side? IIRC Nehrim required a vanilla OB to install into so you had to do a bit of fiddling if you didn't want to lose than carefully modded setup.

Edit - reading the wiki seems the installer backs up your Skyrim install for you…?
The installer backs up Skyrim automatically for you, yes, and lets you pick the folder in which to keep the backed up files. The installer is also easier to use than the Nehrim one (from recollection, the Nehrim installer could possibly have some troubleshooting to get it working right, etc., and you had to keep 2 .ini files, etc.). The Enderal installer is smooth sailing.

Sorry, I'm not sure if they can coexist side by side. I just installed Skyrim fresh but again, it will backup your files anyway, so you shouldn't lose anything.
Last edited by Fluent; December 2nd, 2016 at 04:44.

Fluent

A Dungeon Dragon
RPGWatch Team

RPGWatch Forums » Games » General RPG » Enderal