Quantcast
Best underwater game or experience - RPGWatch Forums
|
Your donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » General Forums » Off-Topic » Best underwater game or experience

Default Best underwater game or experience

April 28th, 2017, 18:18
So, I'm a big fan of underwater games. I love the atmosphere of being underwater when it's done well.

Unfortunately, very few games handle this aspect with much success - but a few of them are really well done.

I'd love to hear about your favorite underwater games - because I might have missed some of them.

Here are some of my favorites:

Das Boot (on the Amiga) - for some reason, encountering another sub underwater was very effective in this game.

KotOR - Manaan underwater level.

Black Crypt - the underwater levels.

SOMA - probably the most powerful underwater atmosphere in my experience.

Bioshock - an obvious choice, but it actually didn't have enough "real" underwater gameplay.

NewDArt

SasqWatch

April 28th, 2017, 18:52
Hm, I don't remember many underwater levels in games but I'm not all that much into sub simulations which might explain it.
I did like Bioshock's Rapture, but I actually liked that the water was outside and not anywhere near my character .
FF X had some underwater scenes/combat I remember. Shadowcaster had underwater levels, too, and out of those three games I still prefer Shadowcaster…
--
ESO-playing machine

Semper HiFi!
Motto of the 54th Groove Bde.

Jaz

Play nice.©
Administrator
RPGWatch Team

+1:

April 28th, 2017, 18:52
Not an CRPG but GW2 handles underwater really well. Lots of diving, huge cave and tunnels systems etc to be had. Once I got so lost and didn't know how to get back so in the end had to kill myself to get out!

You can't use your normal stepsons when you are under water but had to use special under water weapons. Some people didn't like it but it made sense that a sword is pretty useless when you are diving and harpoon like weapons made more sense. It also added to the immersion factor as well.

The actual swimming and diving was done well too.

lostforever

SasqWatch

+1:

April 28th, 2017, 19:10
I can't say the best, but I do remember of my worst experiences was the one time. I couldn't get the machine I was it on working and then I found out it wasn't plugged in. But at least I didn't get myself electrocuted again.
--
Developer of The Wizard's Grave Android game. Discussion Thread:
http://www.rpgwatch.com/forums/showthread.php?t=22520

Lucky Day

Daywatch

+1:

April 28th, 2017, 19:14
MMORPG tends to have more underwater "levels", well older MMOs, then single player game unless they are all underwater.

I like GW2 quite a bit, it has some nice vista underwater, lots of details and creatures. Everquest 2 isn't as detailed and the control a bit clunky, but I really liked playing a Warden and casting "air bubble" on me to be able to stay underwater for long period of time.

I also have a soft spot for Morrowind. Some of the caves have underwater sections and there was pearl diving and shipwreck hunting.
--
Mission Impossible: clean that overgrown backlog. ~ joxer

azarhal

SasqWatch
Original Sin Donor

+1:

April 28th, 2017, 19:29
Not really RPG's, but they contain quest-like missions (branching irrc) and upgrades to your ship instead of skills: The Aquanox series or it's predecessor Archimedian Dynasty. Also: Subnautica seems tot be quite nice.

Zerotown

Watchdog

+1:

April 28th, 2017, 19:55
Have a look at Diluvion is a submarine game with some very very light RPG elements.

Pladio

Guardian of Nonsense
Original Sin Donor

Send a message via MSN to Pladio
+1:

April 28th, 2017, 20:46
Mario

lackblogger

retired poster
Original Sin 2 Donor

+1:

April 28th, 2017, 21:19
Assassin's Creed IV Black Flag had some nice diving missions IMHO. You had to be well aware of your surroundings, memorize the level layout and employ some strategy when moving from oxygen bubble to oxygen bubble while avoiding the threats like sharks and jellyfish. The underwater environments were stunningly beautiful with the tropical flair and the ship wrecks. The levels were all pretty similar but yet different enough in challenge level, collectibles and obstacles to make them fun to explore. It was good underwater gameplay, nowhere near "best" but still decent .

Moriendor

Spielkind

April 28th, 2017, 21:27
Wiz 8 Bayjin Shallows. Just watch out for Nessie
--
My Backlog
http://www.backloggery.com/mattynoaa

Nephologist

Sentinel

April 28th, 2017, 22:27
I haven't installed it yet, but I recently purchased Subnautica. The reviews are extremely positive. http://store.steampowered.com/app/264710/Subnautica/

Originally Posted by Nephologist View Post
Wiz 8 Bayjin Shallows. Just watch out for Nessie
Good one. I really need to replay that someday.

JDR13

SasqWatch
Original Sin Donor

+1:

April 28th, 2017, 22:29
Might and Magic VI and VII have underwater levels and VIII has a submarine…

bkrueger

Nothing to see here.

April 29th, 2017, 09:44
Some interesting picks, thanks

Never completed M&M6 or 7 - and I had no idea they had underwater levels…. I'm going to have to check them out again.

I've played Subnautica - but it feels sort of pointless to me, as there's no narrative of note. I like the concept, but I'm not really into the pure sandbox design.

Also, I tend to prefer a dark and "ominous" underwater atmosphere - which is why I think SOMA did it best of all.

GW2 did have a great underwater landscape - but I greatly disliked the game overall in terms of its game design and terrible MMO paradigm. WoW also had entire zones of underwater stuff - but it wasn't dark enough

I do remember Black Flag having some great segments - and I've been struggling to get it to run right on my past two rigs. Something happened to the game in terms of its PhysX implementation that makes it stutter and perform abysmally.

The only way to get it smooth is to turn all PhysX stuff off - which I don't want to do, because it had a bunch of cool stuff, including dynamic thick smoke and what not

NewDArt

SasqWatch

April 29th, 2017, 11:01
I haven't played it, but people seem to like Abzu. Not sure if it has enough game for you, but people seem to like the diving experience.

Capt. Huggy Face

Aging Gamer
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

April 29th, 2017, 13:00
Sunless Sea is not really underwater, but in a boat on the sea at night and as such seems pretty atmospheric nonetheless. It's a "survival/exploration roleplaying video game with roguelike elements".
--
"Mystery is important. To know everything, to know the whole truth, is dull. There is no magic in that. Magic is not knowing, magic is wondering about what and how and where." ~ Cortez, from The Longest Journey

Arhu

Feline Wizard
Administrator
RPGWatch Team
Original Sin 2 Donor

April 29th, 2017, 13:21
As JDR13 mentions, Subnautica is really a very very good game and is played actually most of the time underwater.

Aerth

Watchdog
RPGWatch Donor

April 29th, 2017, 17:09
Deus ex 1 had a really atmospheric underwater level called ocean lab. Masterfully built and great atmosphere.

Tomb raider II and III had some quite intresting underwater levels. Really difficult to navigate through and yet so rewarding to beat.

Trine II also had some clever underwater gameplay.

Dez

Man with the hat
Original Sin 2 Donor

April 29th, 2017, 18:42
Aquanox?
--
"… thing about Morrowind is we did far more than we could, far less polished than we should. It's a miracle that it works at all… there's too much, and it's like jazz… a product like Oblivion - far better software… but Morrowind… oh there's so much delicious nonsense in that." ~ words of wisdom by K.Rolston

luj1

SasqWatch

April 29th, 2017, 18:48
Can't say I've played any underwater game that's "the best".

But I can say which game did it worst.
Assassin Creed 4. Do not buy. Ever. Halfarsed, horrible, boring and repetitive. Won't shed a tear when Vivendi's hostile takeover finalizes.
--
Toka Koka

joxer

The Smoker
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

April 29th, 2017, 19:21
Everquest one, Kedge Keep. Dear god, I lived in that zone for months leveling alts, helping friends do the same, and farming lewts. I loved that damn zone like family.

Carnifex

SasqWatch

RPGWatch Forums » General Forums » Off-Topic » Best underwater game or experience