Quantcast
On video games/literature by authors of Witcher and Metro 2033 - RPGWatch Forums
|
Your donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » General Forums » Off-Topic » On video games/literature by authors of Witcher and Metro 2033

Default On video games/literature by authors of Witcher and Metro 2033

April 18th, 2017, 21:38
Funny read, Sapkowski still butthurt it seems ( no surprise there )

https://waypoint.vice.com/en_us/arti…and-metro-2033

This is worth a chuckle: I think that he's totally wrong, and that he's an arrogant motherfucker
--
Rush in and die, dogs…I was a man before I was a king.

BoboTheMighty

SasqWatch

April 18th, 2017, 21:55
I appreciate the work he did, and that he created the series (the books are also great to read). But sorry, he misjudged the popularity of his universe, and what that could be in the gaming space. And didn't request royalties.

And from the way he behaves he misjudged the popularity because of his stubbornness , thickheaded-ness and arrogance. And he seems to not have learned from his own mistakes. He still seems to be all those things. So that's why I'm not feeling very sorry for the guy. If he'd admit he made a mistake, and opened his mind just a little bit, I might feel differently for him.

danutz_plusplus

SasqWatch

April 18th, 2017, 22:27
70 year old Polish Grandfather speaks his mind.

Nobody should be shocked by this.

I like the guy. He says what he is thinking. Who cares in the grand scheme of things whether the accuracy of some statements are perfect. I'm sure in other literary forums they are calling him a hipster sellout catering to the masses. All depends on your point of view. I find it easier to respect someone for speaking their mind than bowing to varying pressures and muting themselves. I mean seriously if 70 year old grandpas can't speak their mind who can

Wisdom

Seeker
Original Sin 2 Donor

+1:

April 18th, 2017, 22:28
And yes the video game Metro 2033 introduced me to the book. Would not have known it existed otherwise.

Wisdom

Seeker
Original Sin 2 Donor

April 18th, 2017, 23:42
The causal connections between our discoveries in literature and video games has always been fascinating to me. Interesting read, thanks.

If it weren't for STALKER and Fallout, I probably wouldn't have taken much of an interest in Metro 2033. However, the fact that it was also based on a book, gave it an additional layer of fascination to me when it came out. I was attracted to emotionally resonant, atmospheric shooters in a dystopian setting done with cerebral story telling. Sadly, Last Light wasn't near as good nor as compelling to play and I've subsequently to this point left it unfinished.

As for Sapkowski, I've only read "The Last Wish" which came packaged with the original Enhanced Edition of the first game. To be honest, I wasn't impressed enough to really pursue his texts any further than this. All the power to him though for expressing his opinions in the way that he is in that interview; although it is perhaps a pity that the relationship with CDP isn't more expressively positive in nature and that he appears so closed to the great potential for story telling in gaming.
--
Diddledy high,
Diddledy low,
Come brave blood sheep,
You've a goodly way to go.
- Brilhasti Ap Tarj

Pessimeister

Living Backwards
Original Sin 2 Donor

April 19th, 2017, 02:38
Originally Posted by Pessimeister View Post
Sadly, Last Light wasn't near as good nor as compelling to play and I've subsequently to this point left it unfinished. .
I thought Last Light was pretty good. Not quite on the same level as 2033, but definitely worthwhile. You should give it another shot. I'm looking forward to playing the Redux versions when I have time.

JDR13

SasqWatch
Original Sin Donor

April 19th, 2017, 03:22
Originally Posted by Pessimeister View Post
The causal connections between our discoveries in literature and video games has always been fascinating to me. Interesting read, thanks.
This reminds me of an old article in Dragon Magazine. I did some searching and found a bunch of PDFs here: https://dnd.rem.uz/Dragon%20Magazine/001-050/

If you check issue 31, page 28, there's an article from Gary Gygax on the subject of mixing games and books:
The three “D Series” modules which continue the former series owe little, if anything, to fiction. Drow are mentioned in Keightley’s THE FAIRY MYTHOLOGY, as I recall (it might have been THE SECRET COMMONWEALTH—neither book is before me, and it is not all that important anyway), and as Dark Elves of evil nature, they served as an ideal basis for the creation of a unique new mythos designed especially for AD&D. The roles the various drow are designed to play in the series are commensurate with those of prospective player characters. In fact, the race could be used for player characters, providing that appropriate penalties were levied when a drow or half-drow was in the daylight world.

The sketchy story line behind the series was written with the game in mind, so rules and roles were balanced to suit AD&D. It is not difficult to write a tale based on AD&D characters, but it is difficult to try to fit regular characters from an heroic fantasy novel into the AD&D mold. There are exceptions.
P.S. And that short story is a good one. Or at least it seemed good in 1979. Oh, I'm sure it was good - I had seen Star Wars by that time so I was well versed in storytelling.
--
The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common: instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views….
-- Doctor Who in "Face of Evil"

Zloth

I smell a… wumpus!?

April 19th, 2017, 03:52
Guy is super conceited, whoa.

Drithius

Laughing Gnome

April 19th, 2017, 04:03
Blasphemer!! He's the father of Role Playing Games! (And so is Dave Arneson. RPGs have two dads. ;)
--
The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common: instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views….
-- Doctor Who in "Face of Evil"

Zloth

I smell a… wumpus!?

April 19th, 2017, 08:48
Originally Posted by JDR13 View Post
I thought Last Light was pretty good. Not quite on the same level as 2033, but definitely worthwhile. You should give it another shot. I'm looking forward to playing the Redux versions when I have time.
Cheers for the encouragement. Aye, I probably should do this - as I was only a few hours in to begin with really; just didn't feel the motivation strong enough to continue for whatever reason at the time. When the mood strikes, I'll certainly try again.
--
Diddledy high,
Diddledy low,
Come brave blood sheep,
You've a goodly way to go.
- Brilhasti Ap Tarj

Pessimeister

Living Backwards
Original Sin 2 Donor

RPGWatch Forums » General Forums » Off-Topic » On video games/literature by authors of Witcher and Metro 2033