Zloth

I smell a... wumpus!?
Distant Worlds 2 is releasing on March 10th! There's still not much on the Steam page, though. You can watch this long preview starting with this vid: https://youtu.be/wAQmE3ZY2Fc?t=103

D

DArtTooEarly

Supposedly very good, but no multiplayer in a game like this = zero interest.

But if you're put to sleep by normal 4X games, this is probably worse - as it's a more grognardy type of approach than most.

Kos

Sentinel
The first one was really awesome but if games like Stellaris put you to sleep you should maybe avoid this one.

Philistine

Keeper of the Watch
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
I think DW2 is primarily just a graphical update to the first game. What made DW 1 awesome was the ability to automate the game elements you aren't interested in. So for example I can automate the military side of things so I can focus on exploration, diplomacy, and trade.

Couchpotato

Opinionated Blockhead
Played the first game years ago. It was enjoyable but the publisher and developer milked the game for years with new content and a set sale price on it's website.

So buyer beware and all that.

Zloth

I smell a... wumpus!?
The big "differentiator" in the first game was the automation. There are automation options for everything! And yeah, Couch is right, too. When it originally came out (*many* years ago), you could only buy it on the website and each expansion was quite expensive. Imagine if Civilization was charging $40 for each expansion they... oh, yeah, {ahem} I guess Distant Worlds was "ahead of its time," then, on the pricing front. It got much cheaper when it showed up on Steam.

It's a real time 4X but it does have a pause option. I would much rather have turn based, personally, but I still played the original for almost 100 hours. I would get to the point where combat started and would quit - I didn't like its combat at all.