HiddenX

The Elder Spy
Staff Member
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
RPGamer reviewed Eiyuden Chronicle: Hundred Heroes:

Eiyuden Chronicle: Hundred Heroes Review

The term "apparitions" refers to "a remarkable or unexpected appearance of someone or something." When Rabbit & Bear announced Eiyuden Chronicle: Hundred Heroes in 2020, and that it was being penned by Suikoden series creator Yoshitaka Murayama, there was huge excitement from fans of the long-gone series. Suikoden fans would finally be able to get lost in one of Murayama's worlds again, even if it wasn't Suikoden VI. The problem for Eiyuden Chronicle is that it is the ghost of a series long gone, and while it attempts to stand on its own, it's hard not to recognize the similarities it possesses to the classic RPG series it pays homage to. However, knowing this, Eiyuden Chronicle: Hundred Heroes is an old-school experience chock full of interesting storytelling, adorable weirdos, and tons of content to explore. Where it falters comes from needing just a bit more time in the oven and a few more modern conveniences.

[...]

Playing through Eiyuden Chronicle: Hundred Heroes was an addictive and wonderful experience. When I stopped playing, I was constantly thinking about the characters, story, and the world-building that Rabbit & Bear has created. The game is very much a love letter to JRPG and Suikoden fans, and while there are a lot of similarities, I personally didn't find that detracting. After putting more than fifty hours into the game, it reminded me of both the joy of being in one of Murayama's worlds, and the sadness that he will never pen another game in this series. While there are elements of the game that needed more time in the oven, I cannot deny the happiness I felt every time I booted up the game.

Score: 4/5
Thanks Couchpotato!

More information.