Look up adaptability if you haven't already. It really effects how fluid combat is.
Yeah, I noticed they introduced some new stats, but I haven't really dove into them. So adaptability is an important one is it? I just dumped the 3 levels I got so far into Vigor (+health), since I thought that's always a no-brainer. I'll need to see how that stat works vs poise. I thought poise was in charge of that, and in DS1 I only saw that offered through the armor you wear.

I'll need to start planning out a path I want to build towards. For a moment I was thinking of attempting to go with dual wielding, since they apparently introduced that with this game, but I don't want to gimp myself and put myself through hell. I'll need to do some research into feasible builds.
@danutz_plusplus Are you using a similar build to the one you did in DS1?
Yeah, I tried to go with what I did in DS1 and it's not working as easily. Of course I also likely forgot the first half of DS1 when I wasn't overpowered, and how well that worked. But now as I type I realize I switched to shields around that point, and that made all the difference. I definitely feel they nerfed how well shields work.

Adaptability affects poise, agility, speed of consumables (faster estrus) roll, iframes. When I first started playing I thought something was wrong with the game or my K&M because it felt so unresponsive. After reading and pumping points in to adaptability everything felt better. I believe 30 is on par with DS3. I play with light armor and weapons though for max dodgin and roll. If your strategy is more turtling you could probably get by with less. I personally pump it to 30 ASAP and then to 40 by end game., but that’s my style of play.

Was reading through these posts, got me wondering what amount of ADP I used to go. I remember it was important but I don't think I ever went up to 40 with it. So, I had a look through the screenshots and found this.
1667707532071.png
I guess this is a what they'd call a Quality build with both STR and DEX. That's just a standard longsword with a special skin from some event in the original DS2, before Scholar reboot.

I dunno, maybe thats helpful to someone. 26 ADP. I don't really remember but I assume I knew what I was doing. :)

Seems I never learn the extent to which the devs are fucking with you in Dark Souls. DS1 got me conditioned to be paranoid of chests, for fear of mimics. Well, thank god I haven't stumbled onto any. But now I have to be fearful of automated crossbows that eat me alive the moment I lift up the lid. Thanks for that. :D

And fuck the explosive barrels placed everywhere in the castle. Besides me or the enemies accidentally exploding them by swings in their vecinity, they're also placed just nice enough to block your character's hitbox, even though you could swear there should be enough room to pass by. And then the fucker throwing grenades at me makes sure to finish me off.

Oh, and also kind of a shitmove. I reached a long extended stone polearm, with something at the end of it. I double checked that I left no enemies around to rush me up the polearm. And wouldn't you know, the game spawn a couple to run towards me, up the arm. Now that was a very cheap move, unless I really did miss something. But I didn't see anything. I'm sure they were just spawned out of thin air.

Sometimes there's only so much fuckery I can deal with. :( I need a break.

Now that was a very cheap move, unless I really did miss something. But I didn't see anything. I'm sure they were just spawned out of thin air.
I have never known any Dark Souls game to spawn anything out of thin air. I highly doubt they did in this instance. There were plenty of times when I was surprised by something, but in every instance I would later have an angle at which I could see them waiting, hanging onto a ledge, poised around a corner, etc.

I have never known any Dark Souls game to spawn anything out of thin air. I highly doubt they did in this instance. There were plenty of times when I was surprised by something, but in every instance I would later have an angle at which I could see them waiting, hanging onto a ledge, poised around a corner, etc.
I agree! At least in Elden Ring and Dark Souls 3 (the only ones I played) you can always verify by replaying the passage, that they were waiting somewhere for the ambush. In buildings they also often hang on walls or ceilings. If you are very careful while exploring, you can shoot arrows at such mobs and they will either attack or fall to their death depending on where they lurk. Sometimes you can even identify secret passages by this.
Edit: I like how you know the type and position of every single enemy after you had to retry a hard passage a few times...
Another edit: The most frustrating moment for me in these games is the following situation: You have managed far into a hard passage and die. Then you try to run to this point as fast as possible to regain your souls, but you get impatient and therefore careless and get killed on your way by some normally harmless mobs on. And you so you have lost all of your souls... This is the moment, where I need a break...
Third edit: regarding explosive barrels. They are there to help you. You should always have some fire arrows with you and shoot those from the distance. Often you kill several mobs by this and you have removed the danger for yourself...

Last edited:
This is the one I mean.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FPdJZ6sDfCk

In the room from where you climb that angled narrow stone walkway, or whatever it is, there's the area from which I came into (where I killed everything), the room itself which had 2 spearmen and the hidden Mace wielding turtle-man-demon (or whatever it's called), and an entrace to the next room that was covered by the usual ghost mist.

I'll look again, but I do believe I checked everywhere before going up there since there's very little to check. I can through an entrace, cleared the room, and there was only one gateway out of the room that was blocked by mist.

Last edited:
Actually, nevermind. I just looked at a guide, and it seems they drop from above. My bad. :ROFLMAO:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K3MT7uS4BFc&t=1455s

Third edit: regarding explosive barrels. They are there to help you. You should always have some fire arrows with you and shoot those from the distance. Often you kill several mobs by this and you have removed the danger for yourself...
Yeah, I'm not gonna risk getting out the bow and fumbling around with it, as slow as I am. So I'd rather take them all one by one with my usual weapon. I'd just guarantee a death if I were to try something out of the ordinary, that I don't get practice with.

Yeah, I'm not gonna risk getting out the bow and fumbling around with it, as slow as I am. So I'd rather take them all one by one with my usual weapon. I'd just guarantee a death if I were to try something out of the ordinary, that I don't get practice with.
Can't you just set it up to quick-swap? I thought there was a key for that. At least in DS not sure about DS2.

Can't you just set it up to quick-swap? I thought there was a key for that. At least in DS not sure about DS2.
Yeah, bringing up the bow is not the problem. It's aiming with the crosshair, while other stuff is around you. I only use the bow when I absolutely need to, and ideally when I'm far away from danger. Cancelling out of the crosshair mode, then switching to my other weapon is not something I want to do while spearmen are trying to skewer me.

Even in DS1 I only used the bow for particularly annoyingly placed sniping enemies, that are hard or impossible to reach physically.

Yeah, bringing up the bow is not the problem. It's aiming with the crosshair, while other stuff is around you. I only use the bow when I absolutely need to, and ideally when I'm far away from danger. Cancelling out of the crosshair mode, then switching to my other weapon is not something I want to do while spearmen are trying to skewer me.

Even in DS1 I only used the bow for particularly annoyingly placed sniping enemies, that are hard or impossible to reach physically.
I have the bow in my left side, so I swap it with my shield by a click on "<-" (with keyboard and mouse). When you want to swap back you press "<-" again, crosshair mode is automatically gone with that, so it is only one keystroke (at least in DS3 and Elden Ring).

Of course you should only use the bow in a place, where you are secure for the moment. But that should be the case, since you usually have cleared all enemies at the place, where you are, anyway. When a strong enemy attacks you after you have shot, you can run away, press "<-" while running and then confront the enemy (or run further away). You should always prepare a secure escape route from your curent location anyway, even without bow usage.

Of course the bow is near useless in most boss fights, because the arena is usually not big enough to keep distance between the enemy and you. (But there are notable exceptions, for example attacking the Elden Beast with a great bow and its special ability Radagon's Rain is a viable tactic in that fight.)

I am still playing Dark Souls 3, now going for the Twin Princes. I have as much fun as in Elden Ring, which surprises me. I had thought that only Elden Ring's open world character made it good for me, since I normally don't like console-like games with boss fights in an arena. But DS3 is very similar to Elden Ring and while not open world, exploration is still fun enough.

The boss, who troubled me most up to now, was Yhorm, who is considered one of the easier ones, because he is vulnerable to a special weapon (Storm Ruler) and you have a strong ally, Siegward. But somehow I managed to get Siegward killed and this means permadeath for him in that special situation. The reason was , that I didn't understand good enough, how Storm Ruler worked and couldn't finish off Yhorm, even if one last shot would have been sufficient. And I wasn't aware , that Siegward's death was permanent. Afterwards I was too slow to solo Yhorm in spite of several retries, even though he is said to be quite easy. So I broke one of my principles, went online and summoned help from another player. With two storm rulers (and me now knowing better how it worked) it was an easy fight...

Somehow these DS games are really addicting... :love:

Edit: @danutz_plusplus, why are you posting about Dark Souls in the other thread again?

Last edited:
:love:

Edit: @danutz_plusplus, why are you posting about Dark Souls in the other thread again?
Great to hear you're enjoying DS3.

I forgot about this thread, that's why :D

As an update on my DS2 journey, I gave up on fighting the Pursuer since I found out I can go and explore in another completely different direction. So I'm making my way through the land of giant viking warriors, or whatever they're called. And man do they hit hard. I can manage them one by one, but more than that I'm done for. But at least I can grind for some souls.

One weird thing I keep noticing in DS2, compared to DS1, is apparently some low-level enemies, that normall keep respawning on resting at the bonfire, sometimes stop respawning. I noticed it a couple of times now with a few particular enemies. That was really surprising to me. I never saw that in DS before. Or is it a bug? But it's definite that they're lower level enemies that kept respawning, up until they suddenly didn't anymore. Is this some measure to stop farming? Can I expect that ultimately all enemies will at one point stop respawning?

Last edited: