HiddenX

The Elder Spy
Staff Member
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
IGN thinks remasters for Fallout 1 & 2 are a good idea:

The Original Fallout Games Deserve The Diablo 2: Resurrected Treatment

It'll be a long road to Fallout 5 - in the meantime, Microsoft should bring back the games that started it all.

As great as it is to see the 3D Fallout games enjoying another moment in the sun following the popularity of Prime Video's excellent TV adaptation, the games I most want to direct new fans toward are the classic original Fallout and Fallout 2. Aside from being where it all began, those are the stories that hold many of the answers people coming off of the show are looking for: the origins of Shady Sands, the Brotherhood of Steel, the Enclave, what happens when a vault's water chip fails, and much more. Their stories, scenarios, and memorable moments have stuck with those of us who played them for decades, and bringing those same experiences to an entirely new audience that's ravenous for Fallout content seems like a slam dunk.

However, in 2024 that recommendation comes with more caveats than it ought to: While both are readily available on Steam (and included in PC Game Pass) and run on modern PCs, when you fire it up you're presented with an array of tiny buttons, no tutorial, and 2D sprite graphics designed for 800x600 CRT monitors that, despite being loaded with post-nuclear character, make you squint to see what's going on. It's enough of a barrier to re-entry to make even a (very) old fan like myself balk a bit at diving in for another playthrough - and a reminder that if there's one series that has been criminally overlooked in the era of remasters, it's old-school Fallout.

[...]
Thanks Couchpotato!

More information.

i wish. one if not the best game i have ever played.

I guess it was time for another article talking about Fallout remasters, even though the last one was just a few weeks ago.

I'd love a remaster of the old games. But I don't know how many from the younger generations would like that type of game, so maybe it isn't worth the cost for Bethesda?

I'd love a remaster of the old games. But I don't know how many from the younger generations would like that type of game, so maybe it isn't worth the cost for Bethesda?
Probably not. Games like BG3 have shown that turn-based titles can sell to the mainstream when done right, but I think a lot of gamers would find FO 1/2 archaic by comparison.

I suspect that a remake would require so much expansion in content that it would essentially be a whole new game.

Probably not. Games like BG3 have shown that turn-based titles can sell to the mainstream when done right, but I think a lot of gamers would find FO 1/2 archaic by comparison.
And one thing we can be pretty confident about is that Bethesda wouldn't do a turn-based title right... They can barely do their games right when they've been following the exact same formula for 30 years...

I doubt Microsoft or Bethesda would do that.
No one wants to remind anyone of the Goold Old Days when those were done by someone else and invite comparison.

Also content wise, would they keep it as it was?