dteowner

Shoegazer
Coworker has a rig with 2 video cards in it, each capable of running multiple monitors. He is considering purchasing a new 42" LCD and driving it with one video card and pushing his current dual flat panels off to the side. Now, for the fun part, where the real question is:

He's using this setup for his music recording. What he wants to do is effectively have 2 "stations" running off the same PC. The new LCD would sit over the mixing board and the dual flat panels would go by the instruments. I'm guessing that's do-able. The real twist is that he'd like to have a mouse tied to each "station" so that he can diddle with various programs/controls from either chair. I think mouse #1 would always live on the LCD and mouse #2 would always live between the dual flat panels. Is that even possible?

If the mice don´t need to be restricted to one monitor setup but can be used everywhere it´s no problem at all. I´ve been using two mice for ages. The mouse arrow is controlled by both mice, but he is of course only using one of them at a time.
He can try try two strategies:
1) Two different mice. Maybe one for PS2, the other USB.
2) Two identical mice for USB.
The difference can be the available feature set. Everything between "full features" for both mice and "only two buttons + wheel" for both is possible. Depends on operating system and driver. I´m using a Logitech PS2 mouse and a cheap Logitech based OEM cordless mouse. Works pretty good under windows and reliable although a bit uncomfortable under Linux. Both without any driver at all.
Maybe he should just plug in a couple of mice and try it.

It gets more complicated if he really wants to run two separate windows sessions with one mouse each at the same time. In that case I would question if it´s really worth the hassle because new PCs faster than 50% of his PC´s performance are dirt cheap nowadays.

Correct. Specifically, I do not know any way of having more than one mouse pointer on-screen in a single Windows session with each pointer tied to a separate device; if you have multiple mice, they all control the same pointer.

IOW, it's not possible to do exactly what he wants.