JFarrell71

SasqWatch
I've been way more positive about this show than most of you, but this last episode of season 1.... oof. Reveals aside, the dialogue is sentimental and corny, and the pacing and staging of the
Gandalf
scene is terrible.

Last edited:

Alrik Fassbauer

TL;DR
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
I was visiting the international book fair at Frankfurt last Sunday. I was quite surprised at how many people were still ? interested in Tolkien's works ...- and my guess was that this was in part because of the new series ?

Ripper

Зичу Вам успіхів
I was visiting the international book fair at Frankfurt last Sunday. I was quite surprised at how many people were still ? interested in Tolkien's works ...- and my guess was that this was in part because of the new series ?
Maybe in part. But I believe Tolkien was still massively popular before this latest effort.

Ripper

Зичу Вам успіхів
I've been way more positive about this show than most of you, but this last episode of season 1.... oof. Reveals aside, the dialogue is sentimental and corny, and the pacing and staging of the
Gandalf
scene is terrible.
Lol, yeah. It also pressed my buttons with regard to casual workplace ring-forging.

"Ah, nice to see you, Jeff. Now, I know you're the greatest elvish metallurgist, who has lived for millennia, but I wonder if you've ever considered forming an alloy? And, BTW, I have something you could try."

"Good point, well made. Thanks Sauro... I mean Gary."

I also found the final scene of Sauron with his fresh hair-do blowing in the winds of Mordor most displeasing.

JFarrell71

SasqWatch
Lol, yeah. It also pressed my buttons with regard to casual workplace ring-forging.

"Ah, nice to see you, Jeff. Now, I know you're the greatest elvish metallurgist, who has lived for millennia, but I wonder if you've ever considered forming an alloy? And, BTW, I have something you could try."

"Good point, well made. Thanks Sauro... I mean Gary."

I also found the final scene of Sauron with his fresh hair-do blowing in the winds of Mordor most displeasing.
There were so many details that didn't work for me. The way Galadriel mistrusts him out of nowhere, coming to him with a scroll to prove there are no more kings of the Southlands when it was her in the first place who insisted that's what he was! I did kind of like their scenes together, though.

And unless I missed something, the ring scene was bizarre. They only forged three rings, the rings for the elves. When were the rings for the humans and dwarves supposedly forged? Then that absolutely awful song over the end credits, which basically sing-talks exposition about how many rings there are (even though, again, they were never forged in the show).

Redglyph

SasqWatch
By the way, thanks for creating a separate thread for this, @danutz_plusplus :)

I've seen the reaction of Brian Sibley in an interview, he's the editor of The Fall of Numenor, so he's well placed to criticize the series since his book is specifically on the 2nd age. But he was rather positive overall (with some raised eyebrows about the mithril story though), like other fans I've read or watched.

I'm still surprised to see those people who didn't like the series taking so much time to make a video and rant about it. 🤣

But I'm also surprised that Amazon made a series on the age they don't have a licence for. I suppose they're managing to stay at the limit of what they can and can't do.

Thrasher

Wheeee!
Amazon is in a no man’s land between what they can cover based on the lord of the rings appendices and what they can’t based on the more fleshed out accounts in other Tolkien works. If they cross the line, they violate the contract. They are literally required to fill in the details with non canon. It’s sad.

Ripper

Зичу Вам успіхів
TBH, I don't think that's the real problem. I just think it was a misconceived production, given to the wrong people.

Last edited: