I recently started playing the remastered PS3 version.

It's "ok". I thought the combat was going to be more fun than what it's been so far, but I'm going to play a little more and see if it gets any better.

Unfortunately, it looks like they bungled it in a pretty bad way:
http://www.pcgamer.com/broken-pc-ports-like-tales-of-symphonia-are-unacceptable/

I love my JRPG's, but the guy that wrote the op-ed is right. It wouldn't cost them a whole lot - or take very long - to make these ports a little more tidy. :-/ They're only hurting themselves...they're reinforcing the idea that JRPG ports are always bad and that they have no place on PC, which will make them sell less in the future.

I recently started playing the remastered PS3 version.

It's "ok". I thought the combat was going to be more fun than what it's been so far, but I'm going to play a little more and see if it gets any better.

I've only tested the PS3 version, but I found combat to feel very unresponsive in it. This is very much unlike the GC version which had more responsive combat (and ran better in general). There are games doing it better than the GC version, but still, the GC version is considerably more fun to play than the PS3 version.

Last edited:
How does the combat compare with other "Tales of..." games? I've been trying Tales of Graces F, and it mostly feels like I'm doing very little in combat*. It looks very involving from the outside, but in actual game play... it isn't.

Does Tales of Symphonia play like that?

(*Also, the prologue feels tedious and never-ending.)

I've only tested the PS3 version, but I found combat to feel very unresponsive in it. This is very much unlike the GC version which had more responsive combat (and ran better in general). There are games doing it better than the GC version, but still, the GC version is considerably more fun to play than the PS3 version.

My beef with the combat has nothing to do with the controls, and I haven't had any issues with responsiveness. I'm just finding it boring in general.

I also disagree with the GC version being superior. It's been a while since I played it, but from what I remember, it was identical except for being in lower resolution and missing some of the extras included in the PS3 version.

How does the combat compare with other "Tales of…" games? I've been trying Tales of Graces F, and it mostly feels like I'm doing very little in combat*. It looks very involving from the outside, but in actual game play… it isn't.

Does Tales of Symphonia play like that?

Unfortunately, yes. That's exactly how I would describe ToS as well. The most frustrating thing to me is how you're locked onto a linear plane on the battlefield. It's a very outdated design imo, and it was even back when ToS was originally released in 2003.

The normal difficulty also seems really easy to me.