Yeah, I'm sure it's based off of what happened, unfortunately it's only based on what was known, and I'm sure there's a lot that they didn't uncover about his life. So I guess what I'm saying is they're probably going to try to explain how he ended up like this based on partial information. I hope they don't include any extrapolations or theories. Unfortunately, being a piece of entertainment, I guess it's gonna be hard to do.

Not that I have a lot more respect for a lot of documentaries that have slowly turned into entertainment pieces.

Anyway, as little as I saw of it, 3 episodes in, it's definitely entertaining. But also morbid as hell.
They're not pretending to know every detail. It's a recreation based off what they do know. Also, the series isn't really about "why" he did what he did. It's more or less a timeline of his life and also gives viewers a glimpse of some of his victims.

Personally, though I've not watched last nights episode yet, House of Dragon has been pretty good. My only complaint, and it's a small one, is that I'd prefer that they not do time jumps, and leave so much of the book uncovered. They've left some of the best materials behind, imo.

I have been keeping up with For All Mankind, just finished episode eight last night, while the pace has slowed a bit the stories are still good.

Well, just a trailer, but I think that looks about as promising as we might hope.

I tried a bit more of Rings of Power. Earlier, I was saying the first couple of episodes weren't as bad as all that. Having watched a bit more, I must report that it is indeed as bad as all that.

I just started watching Ted Lasso with very low expectations and it's actually really fun to watch. The story has been done so many times, but it's an entertaining take on it with cute characters and the addition of nice Brit humour :D

Yeah I agree with Rings of Power, I've watched four episodes so far and after waiting so long for this show, I cannot imagine being more disappointed. Not even sure if I'll continue to watch it.

I did catch the most recent episode of House of Dragons, and wow, wasn't expecting a time jump, let alone putting new people in existing roles. I'm not sure why they just didn't age them normally, yet at least it's still a fine show, and I adjusted to the new folk quick enough.

I'm only following Rings of Power by looking at reviews from tolkien fans, and apparently in Ep5 they really shit the bed by introducing some stupid explanation as to the origin of mithril, and then tying the Elves's lifeforce to mithril? It sounded so stupid, and exactly the kind of stuff you'd expect from people not doing their research.

Oh, and I did also catch a short fight montage where Galadrial trains the men of Numenor to fight. Holy god that was embarrassing, the fight choreography and all. Like community theater acting out a fight.

I quite like The Rings of Power, but it does seem that it gets a lot of bombing for some reason, indeed. Critics are very divided so I'd recommend to keep an open mind.

Some find that it's slow to start, and it's not false. I remember similar reproaches about The Lord of the Rings was released, or even about to the book, criticizing how slow the plot was. It's a matter of taste. If you're expecting a series packed with action, maybe that's not for you.

As for discrepancies, it's the usual. It's been a while since I read the Silmarillion and other stories of Tolkien mythology, and even then I only read bits of it, so perhaps I don't mind so much because I'm not a purist. The original stories were very fragmented, so I don't think that it would be possible to make a series out of that without being creative anyway; Jackson did the same with The Hobbit. And while I agree it's not the same quality as Jackson's movies, it probably doesn't have the same budget either.

I've also seen critics about races being badly represented, except the dwarves. It seems to me that the harfoots are even better, that the humans are as expected, so are the elves, so I don't see where it's coming from. Galadriel is a bit cold for sure, which is normal, and she displays the same ease in combat as we saw for ex. with Legolas.

Something I don't like too much is how often they jump between threads, though I've seen worse. It seems to be the new fashion in series now, or perhaps it didn't bother me as much before.

they really shit the bed by introducing some stupid explanation as to the origin of mithril, and then tying the Elves's lifeforce to mithril? It sounded so stupid, and exactly the kind of stuff you'd expect from people not doing their research.
Is there any other "official" explanation about the origin of mithril? I haven't found any, and the legend / song told in the last episode didn't shock me. Songs and legends are often an embellishment of history so it actually fits pretty well.

I quite like The Rings of Power, but it does seem that it gets a lot of bombing for some reason, indeed.
It's getting bombed because it's absolutely awful in almost every way.

Not saying there's anything wrong with liking it. After all, one man's trash is another man's treasure or however that saying goes. I wouldn't get too attached to it though if I were you. I'll be shocked if it lasts more than a couple of seasons.

I finished Dahmer, the netflix series. And overall very solid. I wasn't familiar with a lot of the details of the case, except for what I heard in passing, and it's one insane case.

The series managed to do a great job to hold the tension. Plus, it also explored the impact on his own family, besides victims. The lead actor did a great job to portray the psycho. They even managed to humanize him a couple of times.

It was interesting, that he seemed to turn even worse after being imprisoned, and getting a lot of positive attention. I guess it's inevitable that it tickles the ego. Anyway, it was fascinating. And gruesome at the same time. I cannot imagine living next to something like that.

I'm really not knowledgeable about Tolkien's writing, so none of those canonical things bother me, but it certainly isn't worth $500m this show.
It is relatively good when compared to other fantasy fare, but there isn't a lot of good out there.

Some of the subplots were stupid as hell like diving into the sea and then being rescued randomly by another barge.

I do like some of the characters and some of the main storylines seem to have potential.

Overall, I'd rate it above-average for a standard show and maybe good for fantasy shows.

I came to the conclusion around the third episode of Rings of Power that it's a slightly below average CW-style show. And that's fine, yet these days there's just so much to watch that one cannot do it all.

Not saying there's anything wrong with liking it. After all, one man's trash is another man's treasure or however that saying goes. I wouldn't get too attached to it though if I were you. I'll be shocked if it lasts more than a couple of seasons.
Sure, opinions vary with cultural differences, as do the way to express it. Here for example, once we grow out of school we rarely feel the need to resort to mockery because we don't find it very constructive. Not saying it's bad, we all need to get some fun one way or another. :)

Oh don't worry, I wouldn't go as far as saying I'm attached, I find it entertaining and that's it so far. It doesn't need to last for years, most series tend to go stale after a few seasons anyway.

Sure, opinions vary with cultural differences, as do the way to express it. Here for example, once we grow out of school we rarely feel the need to resort to mockery because we don't find it very constructive. Not saying it's bad, we all need to get some fun one way or another. :)
That's interesting because, over here, we can usually distinguish the difference between mockery and honesty once we're out of school.

That's interesting because, over here, we can usually distinguish the difference between mockery and honesty once we're out of school.
Yeah, I saw in your previous posts that you were candid enough about not liking the series. ;) I'd ask exactly what you didn't like but it seems general. For now I can't say anything's bothering me that much, but maybe it'll dawn on me later in the show.

Rings of Power: Watched the first episode and liked it. I love just listening to the Elves talk. Feels a bit quaint and very serene, just like in the movies. Wouldn't mind if the whole show was slow like this.

I somehow stumbled onto some of the real trial recordings of Dahmer, from 1992, on youtube, and I was surprised how close the series is in many cases to what happened in the court room. They even got actors to look very similar to how the real families of the victims looked and behaved. Insane to think that, that actually happened and its not just fiction. It was insane watching some of the victim statements. I realize I'm 20+ years too late to this, but as I said, I never gave it much attention until this series.

Things rarely get review bombed for reasons of genuine critical appraisal, and so it is with Rings of Power.

Rings of Power has been bombed because a bunch of babies are shaken to their very cores by a dark skinned elf and a dark skinned dwarf.

I'm sure there's some of that. I think probably a lot of folks are genuinely a bit disappointed - I certainly don't think it's what could have been done with Tolkien on that sort of budget. Initially I found it watchable enough, but as it progressed I've found it increasingly lame, and I don't really care about the characters.

I guess part of it might be because of their very limited rights to the material. I was thinking it might have worked better if they'd gone for a smaller-scale story in the Second Age, with the really epic events as kind of backdrop, not disturbing the canon too much.

One of the things I don't like is the rather mundane depiction of the elves, whereas I think it works better when they are rather mysterious, mythical creatures. I loved the treatment of the elves in the old Bakshi animation. In this one, it's a bit like, "Oh, good morning, Jeff. I've been thinking about forging these rings of power..." :biggrin:

What Ripper said there. It's not being bombed because of wokeness, it's being bombed because it's genuinely bad, and it craps all over the lore.

It's almost like a parody of Tolkien's work.