Sunday - December 01, 2019
The Last Spell - Dev Blog 6: Hero Stats
The latest dev blog for The Last Spell looks at Hero Stats.
Heroes StatsYou like numbers, right?
We’re back! It’s almost December, and we’re slowly getting closer to the release of The Last Spell!
Today we’ll take a closer look on how we designed the overall system which drives our characters in their fight against the hordes of evil. We wanted to make something that would be:
- not TOO complicated, so that the player instantly understands most of the concepts.
- BUT with enough depth so that we can make interesting bonuses in our perks, items, etc…
In fact we actually already re-worked this particular system twice since we started thinking about The Last Spell! Right now we have come up with something that seems to be working pretty well on paper. We still have to playtest it in our next prototype, but we are pretty confident it should do the trick.
So our characters have several components that define them:
- Attributes: that’s the basic stats of the heroes.
- Traits: bonus features that can modify Attributes and even some more advanced things.
- Perks: level-up bonuses with passive abilities.
- Skills: active abilities of the heroes that you can use to make actions, in battle or in-between.
The skills overall come from the equiped items, and mostly from the weapons, so I’ll talk about it in another blog post ;).
The Perks and Traits are more advanced features, so today I’ll mostly be talking about the Attributes of the characters.
They are divided into 3 groups:
- Health: pretty basic, when it reaches 0 the character dies.
- Mana: used to cast more powerful and magical skills.
- Action Points (AP): used for launching skills.
- Move Points (MP): moving 1 tile costs 1 MP, and some skills can cost MPs too.
Saturday - August 10, 2019
The Last Spell - Announced for 2020
The tactical RPG The Last Spell has been announced for 2020:
What if Final Fantasy Tactics & Dynasty Warriors had an illegitimate daughter?
The Last Spell is a turn-based tactical RPG immersed in roguelite mechanics in which you lead a team of hardened heroes to defend the last bastion of humanity against hordes of monsters.
A Dark Fantasy Tactical RPG with Rogue lite elements
This is the end. War and a bunch of crazy mages provoked The Cataclysm. A mysterious mist filled with hellish monsters enveloped most of the world. They said that those who entered the mist were killed, driven mad, or even turned into monstrous abonimations themselves. Only a few Havens keep up the fight against the Hordes of bloodthirsty monsters that come out at night from this strange purple mist.
Days were quiet and peaceful: they could take time to organize themselves, heal their wounds and search the surroundings for anything useful. But the nights… The mist thickened and from their bowels unleashes hordes of mutated monsters, craving for blood and magic.
In this glorious mix of pixel art and dark fantasy setting, you lead a group of hardened warriors whose only purpose in life is to desperately defend the last of the mages while they try to cast The Last Spell, and banish all magic from this world. And maybe save us all. Maybe.loading...
- Manage your squad of hardened heroes
- Scarce resources: use Mana wisely to survive
- Class-less skill trees and bonus perks
Hordes of Evil:
- Tons of enemies to slay, burn, shock and slice!
- Dozens of enemy types with different behaviors
- Impressive skills to help you slaughter ’em all
Protect the City:
- Rebuild a safe Haven from the remains of civilization
- Build walls, traps and watchtowers
- Protect the circle of magic at all costs!
- You will fail… but everytime you do, you’ll grow stronger
- Procedurally generated Enemy waves, Maps, Characters and Weapons
- Nasty bosses