Graywalkers: Purgatory - All News
Monday - December 05, 2016
Graywalkers - Exclusive Alpha Peek
The Graywalkers: Purgatory dev team has given us an exclusive look at their alpha, coming soon!
Las Vegas, NV - December 4, 2016 – Dreamlords Digital, the minds behind the unique and exciting video game called Graywalkers: Purgatory, is hard at work preparing for Early Access in the first quarter of 2017.
is the first in a series of emergent Strategic and Tactical Turn-based Role-Playing Games set in a stylish supernatural post-apocalyptic world, where parts of Heaven and Hell have merged with Earth in an event called "The Rupture". The game was inspired by a combination of the tactical elements of XCom, the strategic features of Jagged Alliance, and the RPG aspects of classic Fallout & Wasteland. The game was funded on Kickstarter and is now currently in the alpha stage. It will be released first for PC (Windows, Mac, Linux) and later on will be ported to console (PS4 & Xbox One)
The story happens on the new island of Purgatory, a place made up of displaced land masses from all over the world that have merged together. You play the prophesied leader of the Graywalkers, 36 individuals who are destined to protect mankind across history. Your goal is to unite all the factions together under your banner and lead the war to reclaim the world for humanity against the supernatural forces that have dominated the world.
The game will have several key features:
- Game Modes – will have 3 game modes: Campaign, Skirmish (Mission Based), and Multiplayer will be added through a free update. Early Access will be released with the Skirmish mode first.
- Strategic Management - Manage your resources, personnel, influence, technology, magic, and equipment
- Race – choose from 6 races (human, dhampir, Nephilim, cambion, wolfkin & hunterborne). More races will also be added through DLCs
- Character Paths – choose from 10 initial paths(classes) for your character to follow
- Characters – in addition to your custom character, you will be able to recruit from over 40+ playable NPCs, each with his own abilities, background and personality. Level them up and customize them as they improve
- Table-Top Experience – game utilizes a new table-top RPG system
- Enemies – encounter creatures like vampires, demons, angels, werewolves, ghosts, witches, zombies, and many other supernatural enemies
- Resources - Scavenge for resources, rebuild lost technology, recover ancient relics, research new technologies, and craft objects from ordinary items that you find.
- Factions – choose your alliances from among various factions, with each having their own agendas.
Sunday - October 16, 2016
Graywalkers - Combat Alpha Update
Alpha Access backers of Graywalkers: Purgatory will get the tactical RPG in November:
I think let’s begin with our biggest news update for everybody. We finally have the combat alpha working. It has been fully integrated with the content engine so majority of the content in the editor is now functional. With the integration of the content engine with the combat engine, this is a big step forward for us. We are still debugging it but overall, it is functional. This is the most major milestone because this is the core of the game and it sets the stage for everything else.
The list below is what has been integrated into the combat system:
- Over 500+ abilities are now functional for use by a mix of players, NPCs, creatures and enemies. This includes spells, combat maneuvers, passive abilities, racial abilities and path abilities. About 300+ is available to the players. There are still abilities with functionalities that aren’t supported yet but at least 80% of the abilities are functional. We’re also still doing testing, revising and balancing these abilities so it’s a work in progress. Also, the visual representations of these abilities which includes particles and animations are still being worked on. There are an expected additional 200 more abilities to be integrated into the game.
- In addition to the 7 player races mentioned, there are at least about 30+ more races of creatures now in the game. Only the 7 are for players, the rest are reserved for the creatures you will encounter in the game. These list includes vampires, werewolves, zombies, demons, angels and much more. Right now with what we've created, we can actually now build new races on the fly functionally.
- Also, in addition to the 10 player paths, there are about 15+ creature paths in the game. The creature paths are reserved for the NPC creatures that you will be encountering.
- Over 200+ weapons of different kinds are also functional in the game already. This includes firearms, melee weapons, projectiles, explosives, thrown weapons and heavy weapons. These numbers do not include variants to those weapons and unique weapons. The 3d models for these weapons are also ready. We plan to improve them more but we reserve that when we do polishing when we get closer to launch. What needs to be worked on next are the UI for these, animations, special effects, particle systems and audio for them.
- In addition to weapons, we also have over 100+ items that are functional in the game such as different kinds of ammunition with different effects, weapon upgrades, armor of different types, and various other functional items.
- The combat system now uses the unique Tabletop RPG game system we have. There are still a few features that have not yet been implemented but majority of the combat system are functional.
- An initial AI system has been implemented. This AI control basic combat functions. A more robust AI will be worked on later down the line as we personalize each NPC enemy and creature type.
- For Playable characters, we now have at least 25 available characters that are playable and integrated. We believe that though we said we can only do about 20 characters for launch, i think we will be able to increase this number to about 40 characters. Visuals for these are still a work in progress but things look good.
- For enemy NPCs, we now have about over 100+ of them who's functionalities are integrated already. This includes the base creatures and their variants. There are still quite a number not yet setup but we expect this number to double by the time we're done.
- We've also built the initial Faction behavior system which let the characters & NPCs identify and project which faction they belong to. There are about 20 factions integrated at the moment though this number is not yet final. We are still studying whether to increase or trim this down.
- The leveling system also is functional and integrated. All characters and npcs can now be leveled up to Lvl 30 and its effects are integrated into the combat system.
- All skill functionalities and calculations are now working as well. This includes its connections to the leveling system as well.
- The initiative system and the turn system is now functional.
As you can see, the sheer volume of content and functionalities we had to deal with is quite massive. Hopefully it will give an idea of the scope of what we are doing and why it takes so long to do. Though it is true that we can cut down on these things, but we feel it will compromise our vision of the game that we want to deliver to you.
Now I know the next question you have is when you will be getting your hands on it. Based on our current progress rate, you should be able to get your hands on a version of the alpha in November. Do take note, this is just the first alpha and there will be dozens more following it. It is also still a continuous work in progress so please expect it to have lots of things still lacking but do expect it to be improved regularly. Unfortunately, only those who have Alpha access will be able to play around with it as we continue to build on it. To those with Alpha access, we hope that you can participate in the testing and improving the game with us. We will contact each of you privately when it is ready.We will actually be showcasing a very rough version at the end of the month at the Graywalkers Booth at ESGS (E-Sports ang Gaming Summit). What you guys will get in November will be the more polished version.
Sunday - May 22, 2016
Graywalkers - April-May Update
Here's the newest Kickstarter update for the Graywalkers: Purgatory RPG:
Greetings Graywalkers! We have a lot to share with you today as usual. Though our updates are only every other month, we try and make sure that they are long and full of content and news. This month though, we will be sharing 2 updates. We've figured that while we are working on the game, we can give you more information about the other aspects of the game, particularly the role-playing aspect of it. That will be in the update next week. In the meantime, this update will focus on the development itself.
So here we go with what we have in store for this update:
- Steam Store Page – we are currently preparing our Steam Store page and will be posting information to that soon. We're just working out the final paperwork needed and preparing the new content we will be sharing on it. We’re slowly putting together everything we need to move forward and this is one of them.
- Fund Raising – as we go into the next stage, we are now again trying to raise funds via investors. The reason we are trying to raise funds is primarily for 2 reasons: to get more resources to speed up development since we’re behind schedule, and to prepare for costs of marketing and distribution. We are currently talking to several investors but these things normally always take time. If any of you know anybody who might be interested to invest, feel free to contact me at firstname.lastname@example.org and we will share more information about it.
- Pre-Orders - When we release the new website, we will start taking pre-orders from those who would be interested. Obviously you guys don't have to do that anymore but you may know some friends or family who might want to order soon. In the meantime, while that isn't up yet, people can still back us up via PayPal.
- Regular Monthly Updates - I've decided to start doing regular monthly updates starting this month. Those updates may be shorter than the ones we normally make but at least it will be more regular now. We've been noticing some people are getting antsy so the regular communication should ease up some fears that we are not around.
- Casual Connect Indie Prize – Graywalkers Purgatory has been shortlisted for the IndiePrize in Casual Connect this 2016. The event will be from May 17-May 19, 2016. IndiePrize is a competition joined by game companies from all over the world, most of which is from Asia. Unfortunately, we didn’t win but we’re still happy to have been a part of it. We’ll be joining the next ones in the various other Casual Connects in the US and other places. I think as we get closer to the game being done, the bigger our chances.
We are still working on the Alpha but we’re getting close. We really just want to make it good so we’re trying not to rush it too much. As we already said before, quality over speed. One thing is guaranteed, once it is ready, you guys will be the first to know...and those who have Alpha Access, will be the first to try it out. Thank you for your patience. Don't worry, we guarantee it is all worth it in the end.
We’ve shown you some of the combat GUI in the past. Today we want to share with you a few of the character UI screens. Like always, it’s a work in progress so feel free to let us know any feedback, comments or suggestions. UI was one of the areas people commented about the most
Thursday - March 10, 2016
Graywalkers - Development Update
The Graywalker devs posted a new update on Kickstarter to show that they are still around.
Greetings Graywalkers!!! It’s been more than 2 months since our last update. I know many of you have been wondering what’s been happening so here is our update for all of you. Rest assured the team is still hard at work pushing forward. I know with all the different KS games starting to fail, some of you might get nervous when you don’t hear from us. Don’t worry guys, we are still here and nothing will stop us from finishing this game.
There is also new on the tabletop RPG being delayed as they want to focus on the video game right now.
And there is the actual development update, which also explains the delay.
I know some may be getting worried but rest assured we are working on it with everything we got. There's always a lot of blocks that creep up but we're constantly pushing forward despite them. Bottom line, the development of the game is moving forward continuously. We’ve been super busy just churning things out and we believe that you will be happy with the game when it is done.
However, we would like to admit that we are behind schedule and we apologize for this. We had many legitimate reasons why this has happened but in the end, it was our responsibility and we should have planned better and had better contingencies in place. The good thing is that we are now taking steps to help us catch up so we hope you can bear with us.
Currently, the game is at that stage wherein we’re all on constant sprints to get everything together. We have many of the pieces already and it’s that point when things are trickier as we assemble the game with all the components we have worked on the past few months in terms of programming, assets and content.
Initially, we were divided on whether to focus on speed to get the game to you faster or to focus on quality and ensure that you guys get the product you deserve. We know there will be people complaining about the schedule but we have decided to focus on quality.
We decided to focus on quality. It may slow things down a bit but we believe it is what is best for the game and for you guys in the long run.
Friday - February 19, 2016
Graywalkers - Pre-alpha Combat Demo
Niche Gamer has previewed the combat of Graywalkers: Purgatory:
Graywalkers plays remarkably similar to Fallout: Tactics, sporting a GUI that even resembles Interplay’s classic spin-off. Also similar to that game are the characters, who are uniquely named and tailored to fill certain roles within the group. Gunners, Katana-wielding melee fighters, men using stop signs as makeshift shields – the art style is rooted firmly within that Mad Max aesthetic.
Having been inspired by Fallout: Tactics, X-Com, and Jagged Alliance, the plans for Graywalkers actually date back to over a decade ago. Originally intended to be a graphic novel, the world Graywalkers takes place in is about more than just human-on-demon combat. There’s actually quite a bit of non-linearity and sandbox play.
Saturday - December 12, 2015
Graywalkers - Kickstarter Update #30
The December Kickstarter update for Graywalkers: Purgatory:
Happy Thanksgiving & Merry Christmas
Hello everybody! Before anything else, we wanted to greet everybody a belated Happy Thanksgiving! We hope you guys had a great time and to those who shopped on Black Friday, hope your happy with your new toys.
We wanted to take this opportunity to say thank you to all of you. It’s been a year since we got funded and it has been a very difficult but satisfying journey. I know we are not yet there but things look good so far. We are grateful for your continued support and your patience.We also wanted to greet you all an advanced Merry Christmas. Our next update will probably be in late December or Early January so I wanted to take this opportunity to greet everybody already.I know it’s been a while since our last update but we’ve just been extremely busy working on the game. We’ve been making good progress but there is still so much to do. This update will be relatively short though and we’ll just summarize everything that’s been happening so far:NEW PRODUCER / PROJECT MANAGEROne major change is that we have a new producer / project manager Gwen Foster, who will be running the operational side of development. This will allow me to focus more on the creative aspects of the game and to complete all the needed content. I’m honestly behind schedule so it’s time for me to catch up. Hopefully with Gwen’s help we can get things running more efficientlyPROGRAMMING
The programming team is doing a good job and continuously working on all the needed tools. Many of them are done or functional already. By January, after the Xmas break, we will start putting all the parts together.
The 2D art team continues to work on materials required for marketing, the rewards books, GUI, in-game art and others. They also still continue to do concepts though. We've also trained our 2D art team in Unity so they will be assisting the content group later on. Below are just a few samples of final renders of the characters. [...]
Friday - October 23, 2015
Graywalkers - August and September Update
Kickstarter Update #29 with the latest news from Graywalkers Purgatory and DreamlordsDigital:
August & September Update
Greetings Graywalkers! First off, let me apologize for being late on this update. It’s been an extremely busy August and September for us. We had some internal issues to take care regarding some of the internal team. We’ve had some team member changes and problems but it’s all good now.
Also, we’ve simply been very busy. Unfortunately, we currently don’t have support team members to handle any non-development essential work at the moment. This means that anything that wasn’t development related would only get done when there was a lull. We’ve been pushing hard to hopefully get something into the hands of those who will have access to the Alpha testing by the end of the year.
I’m excited to share where we are in the game and how things are looking. Despite us not being as noisy as we used to be, know that it is because we are working hard for you.
So let’s get down to business!
Just to let everybody know, we will be taking the Graywalkers.com and DreamlordsDigital.com site down for the next few weeks. At the same time, we will also take that opportunity to recreate and update the sites. Our hosting account unfortunately got hacked and we only recently just managed to recover it after a few weeks of no access due to some weird policy. Luckily, we changed the KS email associated to the account immediately. These was one of the reasons for the delays due to the chaos that ensued due to this event. We are currently still trying to determine who did this, though we have some leads and even evidence. How we will proceed with this is still in the air. If by chance any of you got weird messages from us via email or messages, please do let us know.
We have a target schedule for the Early Access. We are looking at April 2016 and we are hoping we can keep to this target schedule. Wish us luck!
Sunday - August 02, 2015
Graywalkers - Development Update
Where We Are
Development continues to move forward continuously. We've come a long way and we're halfway through the year. Nonetheless, there are still lots to do as usual.
For the past month, we’ve finally managed to figure out our process. Knowing this, we now have a pretty good idea of how much more work needs to be done, and an estimate of what can be done in the time available. We realized that with the quality we have decided to pursue, it is either going to take more time or its going to cost more. At the moment, we have our set budgets and we have seen our limitations based on that. Of course if we manage to get more funds, then this issue becomes moot as we can hire more people beyond the current full time team of 10 people.
We are currently re-assessing our features and trying to see which ones are core, and which ones can follow as we update after release. We're doing this early so that we can manage expectations at this early stage, rather than later down the line when expectations are already set. This does not mean that these features won't eventually get into the game, it is simply that we will have a priority list and the others can follow after. This is where we want your feedback as backers. Your thoughts will guide us on how we are to proceed with regards to these.
Our current plan is to focus on the Single Player Campaign, and all the features that will go with that. The other modes such as Freeform and Multiplayer, will be to follow. All features related to these 2 features, will be put on the secondary list and will be addressed only after majority of the single player campaign will be done.
Also, we already mentioned before that the story will be released as major story arcs, together they will tell the whole grand story that we had originally planned. On their own, each are complete stories unto themselves. We've worked this out to the whole story being released into 3 parts, with each story arc coming out within 6-8 months after Chapter 1 is released, as a free DLC for all KS and PayPal backers. Each chapter will have the adventure happening in a third of the map of the whole country of Purgatory. By the 3rd chapter, you would have explored the whole of Purgatory. This also means that the potential Graywalkers you will find in the first chapter may not be all the available characters yet. Potentially, we are projecting about 18-22+ characters (enough for 3 teams) in the first chapter, another 10-15 by the 2nd and another 10-15 by the 3rd chapter. This means the total number will be over the original 40+ planned, but will be spread out more among locations and chapters.
We would like to know your thoughts and opinions on our plan. These are not final and are subject to change. As we said, this game is not only about what we want, but also what you as backers want as well.
We now also want to discuss a bit about skills. We have now a more or less final list of skills that will be in the game. Of course this is still subject to change based on your feedback, but if there are no violent reactions, these are the skills. We would like to hear your opinion regarding them, especially with regards to which skills needs to be added, condensed or expanded. As it stands, Skills govern all the actions you do in the game, both in and out of combat. As you level up your skills, added special effects and abilities are unlocked.
- Arcana - this governs spellcasting, supernatural lore, enchating, ritual magic and conjurations.
- Athletics - this covers physical skills such as running, jumping, climbing, swimming and sports in general.
- Computer - this governs the use and knowledge of all computer related equipment. This is also used for programming and hacking.
- Demolitions - the safe use of explosive materials, as well as disposing and disarming them.
- Dodge - this is simply the ability to avoid getting hit from ranged and close combat attacks.
- Drive - this is the required skill to drive vehicles of any kind. The skill affects what type of vehicles you can drive, a factor in the defense of the vehicle from avoiding damage, and the maximum speed of the vehicle.
- Mechanics - this is the ability to use, repair and build primarily mechanical devices and machines.
- Electronics - this is the ability to use, repair and build primarily electronic devices.
- Martial Arts - this is the ability to fight hand-to-hand, or martial weapons that are considered close combat.
- Medicine - governs the ability to heal various wounds and ailments by natural and scientific means. This includes first aid, herbalism, pharmacy, surgery and other medical fields.
- Merchant - this is the ability to appraise items, sell them for the best prices and to haggle for the best deals. The higher your skill here, the higher price you get for things sold and the less you have to pay for things bought.
- Perception - this is the ability to use all your senses to observe your surrounding and assess the details.
- Persuasion - governs the ability to convince or manipulate people to believe in what you say and sometimes even do what you tell them to do. This can be used for gathering information, getting past guards, or many other applications.
- Divinity - this is the knowledge about divine beings, religions and prayers. This also governs the ability to cast divine spells, assuming you have access to them. It also includes the ability to sense, exorcise, summon, banish and contain otherworldly beings.
- Scavenging - this is the ability to search and find useful items from areas and make the most of what you find. The higher your skill in this, the higher percentage of finding scavenge material, as well as finding more in quantity as well as in quality.
- Science - this is the catch-all skill for scientific skills such as chemistry, mathematics, physics, astronomy, and the like. It also includes the use of high tech science devices and machines.
- Stealth - this covers various skills that include infiltration, moving silently, avoiding detection and camouflage.
- Subterfuge - this includes all thievery and criminal type skills such as lock-picking, safe-cracking, pick-pocketing, streetwise, forgery and the like.
- Survival - this skill covers your ability to use and find things needed for survival in the wilderness. It allows you to better manage your resources, letting you consume less depending on how skilled the members of your team are. It also helps you avoid unwanted encounters and improve your chances in avoiding conflicts when you want or need to.
- Weapon Skill (WS) - these are the proficiency skills for each type of weapon. It governs the use of those weapons effectively, as well as its maintenance and basic repair (fixing jams). More advanced repairs and modifications will require mechanics or engineering skills however. Below is a list of all the weapon type groups.
- WS: Assault Rifles (automatic rifles such as M4, Ak47, FAMAS)
- WS: Blunt Weapons (hammers, maces, clubs, etc)
- WS: Edged Weapons (daggers, swords, axes, etc)
- WS: Launchers (grenade launchers, rocket launchers)
- WS: Machine Guns (light machine guns, medium machine guns, etc)
- WS: Pistols (revolvers, semi-auto pistols, flinlocks, etc)
- WS: Polearms (Glaives, Spears, Halberds, etc)
- WS: Projectiles (Bows, Crossbows, Slings, etc)
- WS: Rifles (Bolt-action rifles, Sniper Rifles, etc)
- WS: Shotguns (Pump-action, semi-auto shotguns, full auto shotguns, etc)
- WS: Sub-machine Gun (small automatic weapons such as Uzis, MP5s, machien pistols, etc)
- WS: Thrown (Shurikens, Throwing Knives, Kunais, Javelins, Grenades, and basically any other thing you try to throw at a target
Take note that the Table-top RPG will have more skills and are less condensed.
Friday - March 27, 2015
Graywalkers - GDC & More Update
Dreamlords Digital posted a new update for Graywalkers Purgatory about their trip to GDC 2015, and mention they met a few publishers. They also give a progress report.
GDC and More!
Greetings Graywalkers! We just wanted to share some updates with everybody from our last update. A lot has happened and still happening.
The guys at Unity also loved the game and offered to fully support and promote it when it's ready to come out. We were actually also supposed to be one of the featured games in the Unity booth but unfortunately the invitation came a bit late and things didn't work out. Overall though it might have been a good thing because we were overwhelmed already just at our booth and managing another station would have been really crazy.
We also got visited by several publishers and investors and there's been some interesting developments on that end. I will announce more about that when it's finalized.
We also met a few of our backers who was also at GDC. Thanks for dropping by guys. We truly appreciate it and it was good to meet some of you in person.
Overall, the event was a huge success for the team and the game. The response to the game has given us a lot of inspiration to really push forward even harder now. Being judged and given positive reviews by other developers from all around the world has given us more confidence in the project which we plan to utilize to do even better.
Tuesday - February 17, 2015
Graywalkers - Best in Play GDC Play 2015
Hi guys! Just wanted to share that Graywalkers Purgatory has just been awarded an Honorable Mention as one of the Best in Play games for GDC Play 2015.
Saturday - February 14, 2015
Graywalkers - More Forum Updates
As a short update, Graywalkers Purgatory (Dreamlords Digital) has just been chosen as one of ten (10) teams from all over Asia to participate in a game incubation camp where we will be pitching the idea to some of the top game investors from Singapore, Japan, China and S. Korea. Top 3 are guaranteed at least $200K from the camp but may receive more from investors. Also, all the invitees may still be able to raise funding directly from the participant investors. The event will be on the 25th. We will keep you posted on the results.
The second post talks about developer will be at GDC 2015.
Another update, Graywalkers Purgatory will have a booth at the GDC Play Area of GDC 2015 in San Francisco. To those who got the "Dinner at GDC reward", we will be contacting you and providing you with the details, assuming you will be able to make it to GDC. Those who are from the area and would like to join the dinner may still get the add-on via Paypal. For those based in the Bay Area, we would like to invite you to visit the booth if you can.
Saturday - January 31, 2015
Graywalkers - Moving Forward Update
Here is the new post-funding update that Dreamlords Digital promised they would post this week, and it gives everyone a status update on the games development.
Finally the money from Amazon has been released. It seemed that the reason they couldn't clearly inform us of what was happening nor could they explain was due to the fact that they had to keep the whole change in KS a secret. This also explains why they said no matter what, we would get our money in 90 days or less. They were in some sort of transition period. After the announcement was made that KS was dropping Amazon, we got an email from them less than 2 days later saying that we needed to withdraw the money as all accounts will be closed. Now, we can move forward full steam ahead.
We are currently now in talks with several investors who have expressed interest in providing additional funding to the game. Our success in the KS has given us the needed credibility to get further potential investment. Though nothing has been signed yet, things look very promising as negotiations have began. We're hoping we close this deal soon like in a month or two. Here's crossing our fingers (and toes).
We've found some new members to join our team. We now have a new writer, and two new artist and hopefully one new programmer (still being vetted). These guys are full time on Graywalkers only so definitely we're moving much faster than we did pre-KS. We are still recruiting more members as we speak.
We are currently preparing the rewards. We will be sending them out in batches as we complete them. We are hoping to start sending out some of the rewards in late March or sometime in April. As we mentioned before, we intend to fulfill as many of the rewards that are not dependent on the game being finished.
For those who have gotten design rewards, please contact me with your ideas at email@example.com. When you contact me, please be sure to include the account name you use here in Kickstarter. We need to start working on the concepts already so we can include them in the development schedule.
For those who would still be interested to pledge some more, our paypal is still open with the same rewards and add-ons. You can check it out here. http://graywalkers.com/Pledge-Now.html
As we mentioned the last update, we've already moved forward with development. Currently, most of our work is focused on the following activities:
- Character Redesigns - we've been redesigning some of the characters and taking many of the feedback and integrating them.
- World Building - we continue to work on the details of the world to ensure a more developed background where you guys will be playing in.
- Writing - our new writer has just started getting her feet wet in the world of Graywalkers. We expect her to do wonders with the story.
- 3D Modeling and Sculpts - we've started doing new sculpts for the main playable characters for the game. We decided that we wanted to level up the quality of the 3d characters for the game as much as we possibly could. we believe with the talented team we've put together, this is something we can do. We will be showing you some samples in this update, let us know what you think.
- Demo Improvements - we're currently improving the combat system and the demo to be used as a showpiece for our final investor presentations and other presentations. You guys will of course be given a copy of the new demo to get your feedback. Below are a few samples of
Saturday - January 24, 2015
Graywalkers - New Forum Update
Yes, we will be making an update soon. There's some major things happening and we wanted to verify first our final plans regarding them before we announce them. We definitely will be making an update sometime next week for sure. Please bear with us but rest assured we are currently working on the project. We will also try to be more active on our Facebook account so we suggest everybody to follow us there if possible. We are also preparing the forums so we can hopefully have that soon as well. Thank you!
So look forward to a new update later next week.
Tuesday - January 13, 2015
Graywalkers - Amazon Payment Update
The first post wished everyone a New Year, and talks about development.
Happy New Year everyone! We're back on development after the holidays so we will start keeping people posted on developments. No, Amazon has not yet released the funds. They are asking a lot of requirements such as a lease agreement for an office to verify we are legit. Unfortunately, we co-share an office with my brother's company so it's not under the company name. We're currently trying to remedy the situation and hopefully something should happen by next week. They said though that they will release it after 90 days either way, so since we're over half way that, we might end up waiting for the full 90 days to finish if things don't get fixed.
Also another item of interest is the second post about kickstarter not Using Amazon Payment's anymore. I don't know if anyone has head about this yet.
Finally understand why things have been crazy with Amazon and Kickstarter the past months. It seems the payment process product being used was discontinued and Kickstarter is moving away from Amazon. Now it somehow makes sense. Still sucks but at least it's not a mystery anymore why things are happening. http://techcrunch.com/2015/01/06/kickstarter-drops-amazon-payments-for-stripe/
Update: The developer also posted another update two hours ago.
Good news guys! After the announcement regarding Kickstarter and Amazon out in the open, they finally contacted us and simply just told us to withdraw the money because the Amazon account will be closed permanently. So we initiated transfer already and it is now in the bank. Thank you for your patience. Full speed ahead now!
Thursday - December 18, 2014
Graywalkers - Back On Track Update
Dreamlords Digital posted another kickstarter update after a few weeks of silence with news about the development of their funded game Graywalkers: Purgatory.
Hello everybody! Hope everybody is well. We just wanted to do a short update so you guys know what's been happening.
1. Unfortunately, we still haven't gotten the funds from Amazon. For some reason, they are holding it and been giving some weird reasons like it wasn't approved (yet they approved it before and even already deducted the funds for themselves and for kickstarter). Honestly, at this point, we're very frustrated with the way it's been going with them. They gave us some steps to fulfill and we're trying to fulfill those again just to facilitate it. They said, worst case scenario they will release the funds in 90 days. We are hoping this is not the case.
2. Despite the delay in the funds, we've started working fully on Graywalkers already. We've welcomed several new members to the team and they have started to work. We've also done our development schedules and planning. We're still looking for some key members to bolster the team but definitely we are moving forward.
3. For the rewards, we are already starting to prepare for them. We are targeting to have many of the rewards not dependent on the game ready within March.
4. Me and some members of the team will be in GDC in March in San Francisco. We still haven't finalized if we will be having our own booth at the GDCPlay area or if we can join the indie megabooth. Still in the works and we will keep you posted. We will also be having the dinner where those who reached the appropriate reward will be joining us. Take note that it's still not too late to avail of that dinner as an add-on.
5. We are currently working on the forum and should hopefully have one setup before the month ends.
6. For those who have design rewards, you can start conceptualizing what you want and emailing them to us. Please email us your descriptions and some reference guides for them. You can email the information to me personally at firstname.lastname@example.org.
7. You guys can still continue to support us through PayPal if you want. We have decided to keep the rewards still the same except for a few Kickstarter only exclusive rewards. http://graywalkers.com/Pledge-Now.html
8. With regards to updates, we constantly monitor our comments section so please feel free to post there anytime and we're sure to answer it within a day or two at the latest. We definitely want you guys to be comfortable knowing that we can be reached at anytime that you guys have a question.
9. We will try and have a monthly update so we can summarize whatever relevant information we can provide you guys.
10. With regards to development, we will be focusing first on the combat system. You can continue to post what feedback you had from the demo on gameloop, as well as your wishlist with regards to features.
11. We're now in talks with several potential investors. Hopefully one of them pans out to guarantee a bigger budget for the development of the game.
Thursday - November 06, 2014
Graywalkers - The End Of One Journey
Dreamlords Digital posted another kickstarter update with more information on the game after getting funded, and once again give a big thank you to all backers.
The End Of One Journey and the Start of Another
Hello everybody! It's been 24 hours since the campaign finished. I can't believe we're finally here. Last year when we first tried our luck here on Kickstarter, we didn't make it. For almost a year, you guys waited for us to come back and try again. Now, we are finally here, fully funded. That journey is now over, and though I will miss it, we are now excited to move forward and start a new journey. One that will bring us closer to our dream of making this game come true.
I know we've said it a hundred times, but I guess there can never be enough of it for you guys. THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANK YOU!
We owe our being here right now to each and every one of you. We truly appreciate you guys because you have given us a huge degree of trust. You put your hard earned money into our project, with faith and belief in us.
And so, our kickstarter road ends, and the full development road begins. Now, we will start building the game we promised you guys and hopefully we will get it into your hands as soon as we can. The journey has just began anew.
We will try to continue adding in new updates as we move forward in the development. While we will fix the official forums, we would like to invite people to participate with us via the following channels:
- Graywalkers Official Web Site
- Graywalkers Facebook Page
- Graywalkers Twitter Page
- Graywalkers Steam Group
- Graywalkers YouTube Channel
- Graywalkers Alienware Group
We hope you guys can join us there to receive up to date news. Of course we will make sure to let you guys know what is happening via here on the comments section of the KS page, just so you know when something is worth knowing.
If you have any questions, feel free to reach out to us anytime here. You can also reach me personally via email@example.com. Feel free to follow me personally on Twitter as well (@wyldekarde).
Again THANK YOU very much to everybody. We will keep you all posted on developments. Till the next update! :)
Tuesday - November 04, 2014
Graywalkers - Stretch Goal #2 & #3 Reached
The latest update for the funded kickstarter game Graywalkers: Purgatory shares the good news the game has made more goals after being funded last week.
Hi everyone! You guys have been AMAZING! We've now reached our 3rd Stretch Goal at over $46,000+, with 9 hours more to go. Thank you to everybody who has been pledging generously, as well as those spreading the word around. We truly thank each and every one of you.
So with 3 stretch goals reached, this means that we have achieved the following:
- Localization (Russian, German, French & Spanish). As a bonus, we're adding Japanese and Chinese localization due to volunteers who have offered to do translation for us for free.
- Guaranteed addition of the Wolfkin as a player race
- Guaranteed addition of the Hunterborne as a player race
- Guaranteed addition of the FaeChilde as a player race
- Guaranteed addition of the Slayer as an available player path
- A new Graywalker Potential to increase the number of potentials available to be recruited and chosen from
Sunday - November 02, 2014
Graywalkers - Successfully Funded
In-case you missed the news yesterday Graywalkers: Purgatory is now funded with forty hours left, and the developer Dreamlords Digital posted a Thank You update.
We have finally reached our goal of $40,000. The feeling of joy is so overwhelming. I know we've said this a lot and we mean it now more than ever...THANK YOU EVERYONE! Your continuous support has been instrumental in us reaching our goal. To all of you have pledged and put their faith in us, we truly appreciate it. We truly owe each and every one of you a debt of gratitude. We hope to repay all your kindness by delivering what we promised. We promise to do our best to deliver a great game that you expect and envision.
We want to also make a special mention to Entropy for being the driving force of the marketing efforts for the campaign. Great job and thank you very much. Also thanks to all the other guys who have extended and volunteered their extra time to help promote us like Zelda and Dave.
Lastly, Thank you to all of our most devoted and loyal fans of the game. You know who you are. Your undying support is why we are here now. Without you, we are nothing.
As a sign of our gratitude, we are going to give all backers the following:
- Free Launch Party - You are all part of our success so when we launch the game, you are ALL invited to the party for free. As long as you are backer, you can join us and celebrate with us at the party in Las Vegas. (Travel and Lodging is still not included...we love you guys but we can't afford it)
- Kickstarter Exclusive Surprise Gift - sorry guys but we can't tell you what's in it. It's a surprise. (Honestly, we're not even sure ourselves but we're feeling generous so we're thinking of cool stuff to give you guys for free) As a clue, it's definitely something that your characters will be able to use in-game.
Saturday - November 01, 2014
Graywalkers - 70 hrs & Almost Funded
Hi everybody! We're just 3 days more to go till the end of this campaign. We know you all want this game to be made so let's all work together towards reaching it faster.
Right now, we are at $37,500 and 93% to our goal. This means we still have 3 days to raise $2500. I'm pretty sure we can do this, but i think we're now at that point wherein we have to ask, do we just want to be at the goal, or do we want to hit some milestone stretch goals as well.
It's that time where we now all have to take the extra effort guys! WE NEED YOU! You guys are the ones who can make this happen. So, again we would like to ask everybody to do the following to help spread the word and get us closer to our goal.
Thursday - October 30, 2014
Graywalkers - The Graywalkers #1 Update
The next kickstarter update from Dreamlords Digital has the first part of more updates that will talk about the various NPC's that will join you called Graywalkers.
What Are Graywalkers?
We already know that the Graywalkers are the 36 Hidden Ones and that they are individuals who have been destined to save humanity from extinction. What you don't know yet is how they came about and who are its members in detail. With this update and the next, we will be revealing more in-depth knowledge about them.
How Did the Graywalkers Come About?
Before there were Graywalkers, there is the legend of the “The 36” or sometimes called “The Hidden Ones” or "The 36 Righteous Ones". These 36 were gifted individuals divinely blessed who had the destiny to protect or save mankind. Nobody really knows when they came into existence. It is simply known that they are the ones who influence change in the world to save it. They say many great men and women in history are among them, though there are those that have reached their destiny anonymously. Some of them have even been known as gods and demigods in ancient times. It is also said that for the world to continue to exist, there should always be 36 .
There are 36 of them at one time, but not all of them are “active” or revealed. There are always many "Potentials" in the world. These are those who could be one of the 36 but whose journey to his destiny has not truly yet began. Sometimes, a member of the 36 may go through its life never discovering his or her destiny. In fact, for majority of known history, the 36 were never complete except in extreme circumstances.
Now you ask, how are The 36 connected to the Graywalkers. The answer is simple, they are one and the same. The name Graywalkers was coined by the 3 Magi who started to organize them. These 3 Magi were tasked by a vision from Heaven that they are to be the keepers of The 36. We know these men better as the 3 Kings or the 3 Wise men: Melchior, Gaspar and Balthasar. Now, they watch those who watch over us. For centuries they have lived, and they continue to work behind the curtains guiding and protecting the Graywalkers.
Who are the Graywalkers?
Below are some of the members of the Graywalkers that you will be encountering in the game.. Each one of them is a potential recruit that you will have to find and convince to join your team. We've included a short description for each one so you will have an idea of their role and capabilities.
When you recruit them, they will have their race and path already set, as well as a starting level. With this also comes some initial starting attributes, skills and abilities. As they level with you, you can then customize their improvement further. You can continue the direction they are on already or you can try and slowly move them to a direction you prefer. In the end, you get to direct their future!
Monday - October 27, 2014
Graywalkers - One Week Left & Rewards
The latest kickstarter update from Dreamlords Digital's has information the project has one week left to get funded, and talks about some new rewards.
We're at 72% to our goal. Just 28% more to go. We just roughly need about $11,000+ to reach it. We have 8 more days to go and we have to make the most of those days. We'd like to ask everybody to help us reach the finish line by spreading the word. The more people who know about us, the more chances people will pledge.
Also, we would like to invite those who have already pledged to consider increasing their pledges. We have some really good rewards beyond the basic tier. For example, if you would like to play the game several months earlier than its release, you can consider the $35 tier. It will give you Early Access via Steam or as a DRM-FREE Early Access Game. Not only does it include the game, but it also adds a few goodies to it.
We're currently trying to make the tiers more attractive for everybody so do watch out for those reward upgrades. If you guys would have suggestions, please let us know and we will see if we can do it for you.
Sunday - October 26, 2014
Graywalkers - Races Kickstarter Update
Dreamlords Digital's posted the next update for Graywalkers: Purgatory with news on the various races in the game. The game still needs $12,000 to get funded.
We're now at 67% and we still have 10 Days to go. Thank you to those who have increased their pledges and started getting some of the Add-Ons. Your support has been much appreciated. For the backers who have just joined us, Welcome to the Graywalkers to all of you.
As you all know we're closing in our deadline. We really need everybody to start rallying and continue to spread the word around more passionately. The success of this campaign truly depends heavily on you guys. Tell your friends and family that there's this cool game that you would like to see happen and maybe they would like to check it out.
Also, we hope some of you who have pledged would increase their pledges and avail of many of the rewards at the higher tiers. If you have any suggestions as to what you guys want to see as additional rewards, please let us know.
Friday - October 24, 2014
Graywalkers - Rewards & Renders
Dreamlords Digital's posted the fourteenth update for Graywalkers: Purgatory with information about new game rewards, and shares a few new game renders.
3D Model Render
Everybody knows that the game is still in pre-alpha. Luckily, many have loved the demo with regards to gameplay. With regards to the graphics, some people like it already, and some feel there is still room to improve. We've said that the characters in the game will be changed and to give an idea to what level of quality that change will be, we would like to share a render image of the 3d model for Father Ruben. The sample below is still a work in progress as many of the details are not yet final: such as weapons, accessories and texture finishes. However, we believe you guys will be happy with what we have in store.
We're very confident that what you see now will even be further improved when we move forward with the development after the Kickstarter.
We also have some rewards-related changes to further entice everybody to pledge more. As you can see on our page, we have a lot of Add-ons (both digital and physical). Unfortunately, not too many people have been availing themselves of them. We're thinking that price might be an issue so we've decided to lower the price on those we can afford to lower, just to make them more affordable. We have also included new Add-ons that people have been requesting, particularly the In-Game Starter Packs. We now have a price for them as well.
With regards to delivery of Rewards, most of those that are not dependent on the final finished game to fulfill might be delivered as early as within the 1st quarter of 2015. We're targeting to have those rewards available by GDC 2015 (ex. t-shirts, jackets, bags, etc)
Tuesday - October 21, 2014
Graywalkers - Magic Kickstarter Update
Dreamlords Digital's posted the thirteenth update for Graywalkers: Purgatory with news on the games magic system, and mentions the game has 13 days to go.
With the event called the Rupture, one of the most significant changes is the return of magic in force and the full influx of supernatural energies into our world. Though magic has been accessible prior to the Rupture, very few people had access to true magic back then. Nowadays though, at least 1% of those born post-Rupture have the innate ability to access magic. However, to be an effective spellcaster one requires proper training or tutelage from an experienced caster.
Views on Magic
As a whole, people believe and know of the existence of magic. It’s an accepted way of life though people seeing real magic power are few and far between. Though it is known to exist, many distrust magic. Like with most people, there is fear of the unknown and the fact that magic is connected to all the bad stuff that’s happened to the world in the past 2 decades hasn’t helped people to trust it more. The more educated an area is, the more accepting they are of magic. There are settlements where all things magic are outright banned and in contrast there are settlements that have embraced magic more than they accept technology.
Monday - October 20, 2014
Graywalkers - Factions Kickstarter Update
Dreamlords Digital's posted the twelfth update for Graywalkers: Purgatory with news on the games factions, and mentions the game has 14 days to go.
Today's topic will be on the different factions of note that exist in the lands of Purgatory. But before we proceed, a few announcements:
- We've finally gotten out of our 4 day lull. We're currently at 57% to our goal and we have 16 days left to go. It's time to go full steam ahead guys. Please, we would like to call on you to help us spread the word about the game. I know you guys want to make this happen so please tell your friends and family who are into video games to come check us out and pledge. Another option where you can greatly help is to keep on talking to us here on the comments section. The more comments they are, the more we show up on the popular section of the main KS discovery pages.
- Raffle Giveaway - we have another batch of Raffle Giveaways that will start tomorrow so be sure to check out the raffle page. Congratulations again to the winners of the past Raffle. Do check out the raffle tomorrow at this link: http://graywalkers.com/Raffle.html. Some games we will be giving away are Battlefield 3, Dead Space (Origin key this time), Brutal Legend, Far Cry 1, Far Cry2 and a few others.
- Late Backer Special - with many people clamoring for a late backer special, we will be opening up a limited tier for those who missed the early backer special. The new tier is at $18 and will have the same rewards as the $20. This will be limited to 300 backers.
Friday - October 17, 2014
Graywalkers - Halfway Through & Comics
Dreamlords Digital's posted the eleventh update for Graywalkers: Purgatory with news the project is halfway through, and talks about the games comics.
Halfway Through & Comics
Hello everybody. We're now halfway through the campaign and we're currently at the 54% mark. There is still 18 days to go and it's time we push harder so not only can we reach the goal, but also reach the stretch goals as well. We'd like to request everybody to please try and actively spread the word around.
In the meantime, we have a few announcements:
The batch 1 of the raffle giveaways have been drawn. You can see the winners below:
- The Lord of the Rings: War in the North: Ádám Homoki
- ARMA II: Steffen Gavranovic
- Batman™: Arkham Asylum GOTY: Josh Francisco
- Crysis 2 Maximum Edition: Chad Ting Ramos
- Dead Space: John Daemonspawn
- F.E.A.R. 2: Project Origin: Wolfwood Longbow
- Command & Conquer: Red Alert 3 - Uprising: Jurg Steiner
Congratulations to all the winners. We will be releasing batch 2 very soon so watch out for that.
Thanks to the work of Entropy and the support of the press, we've had a pretty good exposure from the press. We've had over a dozen articles written about us and video gameplay coverages. Thank you to all the press who continue to support us.!
We wanted to share to you the mini-comic we created as a marketing tool for Graywalkers. We hope you like it. For now, we're sharing the jpg images but we will soon have the downloadable PDF ready within the next 24 horus. We're still going to do some minor improvements to the art before we release it. Hope you guys like it.
Monday - October 13, 2014
Graywalkers - Weapons, Armor & Equipment
Dreamlords Digital's posted the tenth update for Graywalkers: Purgatory with news on the games weapons, around , and shares a few details about equipment.
Weapons, Armor & Equipment
Today's topic is about weapons, armor and equipment or what we otherwise know as LOOT! Some announcements beforehand though:
- We're now at 53%, only 1% up from yesterday. We only have 21 days to go to make the 48% and hopefully more. We will be posting soon the stretch goals so hopefully that will motivate people to push beyond just the $40K target. Let's all continue to please tell people about the game. Thank you!
- Game Giveaway Raffle - the raffle has 3 more days to go before we announce the winners for the raffle. Try and spread it around so that more people can participate and at the same time spread the word about the game.
- Live Stream - ValsNoisyToys did a livestream of the Graywalkers: Purgatory demo. If you missed it, you can watch it here: http://www.twitch.tv/valsnoisytoys/c/5279827 Please do subscribe to her channel for some playtests of many cool games. You can also watch it on YouTube at: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X1FeBJY7gA8 and give a thumbs up, please!
Ok, now on to our topic for the day:
Saturday - October 11, 2014
Graywalkers - Kickstarter Updates #8 & #9
Dreamlords Digital has two more updates for Graywalkers: Purgatory posted int the last two days. So far the game has made $20,767 of the $40,000 goal.
Update #8 - "Combat Ins & Outs"
Today's topic is about the combat system in the game. We will be discussing it in detail so you guys will know what we have in store beyond the Demo that we released. There is definitely more in store ahead.
- Percentage to Goal: First of all, I would just like to say THANK YOU to the 667 backers who have helped us get to where we are now. We are now at 51% to our goal, at $20,507 to date. We still have 25 days to go and that is still quite a lot of time to work with. With everybody's help, i think we will meet our goal, and hopefully beyond that.
- Stretch Goals - We're currently preparing our proposed Stretch Goals. We would like to hear from you on what are the things you want us to include in the first batch of Stretch Goals. We have an idea of what to add but feedback would be helpful in us zeroing in to what you guys want to have in the game sooner than later
- Raffle - The raffle continues and thanks to the first batch who have joined so far. We will be adding more games that will be given for free. You can check it out here for those who have not. http://graywalkers.com/Raffle.html
- Video - we've shortened the video by 1 minute. We've noticed that only 13% actually finish the video. We thought maybe if we shortened it, people would finish it and then hopefully pledge. Of course if they are too excited not to finish the video and want to pledge right away, then by all means :) Let us know what you think.
- LiveStream - There will be a livestream this Saturday, October 11 at 8PM MDT on Twitch. Please check out at http://www.twitch.tv/valsnoisytoys. Subscribe to the channel and hope you guys can check it out. They will be trying out the demo.
- Demo Bug - There's currently a major bug in the latest demo, and we are currently fixing it right now and will inform everybody the moment it is fixed. We apologize for any inconvenience it might have caused.
Update #9 - "Character Creation"
Today, we will be talking about Character Creation, but before we proceed. Some announcements:
- We're currently at 51% towards our goal. Not bad but i know we can do better guys. Please lets continue to spread the word about the game to your friends, to your game forums and pretty much everywhere else.
- In-Game Starter Pack - we would like to announce that we are upgrading the release of the starter packs. At the $30 tier, you will now get the Basic Starter Pack. Every other tier will get an upgrade of 1 tier for their starter packs. For example, those at $50 would normally be getting the Basic Starter Pack. Now, those at the $50 tier will receive the Copper In-Game Starter Pack. For those not familiar with starter packs, they contain a pack that will provide you with bonus equipment, weapons, armor and consumables like ammo, medkits, and the like.
- Raffle - our raffle giveaway is still ongoing. The end of the first batch will be on the 15th so you still have time to join. You can check it out here: http://graywalkers.com/Raffle.html
- PayPal - we've put the link on our KS page which will lead to the paypal page on our website. We're still updating the content of the paypal pledges but we want to clarify that if you pledge during this Kickstarter, the rewards will be based on what is here on Kickstarter.
- Demo Update - we've updated the demo again. Hopefully the issue with yesterday's version have been fixed. You can download the new build here: http://graywalkers.com/Demo.html
Thursday - October 09, 2014
Graywalkers - Demo Updates & Reward Upgrades
Dreamlords Digital's posted the seventh update for Graywalkers: Purgatory with news on various topics of development. and talk about anew updated game demo.
Today's update will be short. We just have a few things we want to share
- We are now at $19,440+ and counting. It is now at 48% to our goal, just a few shy of 50%. We still have 27 days to go so let's just keep at it and please continue to spread the word as much as you can. With your help, we would like to reach the 50% milestone in the next 2 days. So what do you think guys, can we do it?
- I would also like to take this opportunity to say welcome to the Chief Tormentor himself of Wasteland 2, Brian Fargo. Also, thanks to him for tweeting to his thousands of followers about us. We are honored by your presence. For those who have not yet gotten Wasteland 2, please do grab a copy as soon as possible. I personally have my copy but won't be playing it till probably after this Kickstarter campaign is over.
- I would like to formally announce that Graywalkers Purgatory, will be joining the Kicking it Forward Program. For those not familiar with it, we will be donating 5% of our profits to help support other Kickstarter projects. You can check it out here: http://kickingitforward.org/
- Graywalkers Raffle Giveaway 1st Batch - the raffle is now live and you can visit it here. To join the raffle, you simply do one of the tasks to gain your raffle points. Each task corresponds to a certain number of points, allowing you to earn raffle points. The more points you have, the more chances you have of winning at the draw. The tasks are rather simple, such as Liking a Page, or Tweeting or something similar. The 1st batch of the raffle will run for a week. The games are mostly for Steam and you will receive a key if you win. Please join or at least share the raffle to people who you feel would love to join it. We will have a 2nd batch for the Raffle after this batch. Again, you can check out the raffle here: http://graywalkers.com/Raffle.html
We're currently uploading a new build for the demo. It's still being uploaded but should be ready very soon.
Version 1.3 New:
- Added an Options window (incomplete, only volume controls for now).
- Added camera panning when mouse is moved to the screen edges.
- Fixed occasional game freezing after an enemy makes an attack.
- Added colliders to the walls to prevent bullets from passing through.
- Fixed a bug where other units could be targeted even if the ability targets self only.
- Fixed a bug where splash screen ambient music was not playing when returning to main menu from combat.
- Changed color of "Not Enough Ammo" prompt to red to make it more obvious.
- Added graying-out of ability buttons that can't be used by selected character (can be due to insufficient Action Units, Energy Points, ammo, etc.).
if you have any issues or find more bugs, please let us know. The demo is a work in progress. As we speak, we are currently upgrading it some more and will be adding a level or two to it.
Wednesday - October 08, 2014
Graywalkers - Interview @ GameranX
GameranX also had the chance to interview Russell Tomas the CEO & Creative Director of Dreamlords Digital to ask a few questions about Graywalkers this week.
What was your experience the last time you ran a Kickstarter campaign? Do you feel you learned any lessons from that experience?
When we ran our Kickstarter last year, we didn’t know exactly what we were doing and what to expect. We were basically unprepared for the requirements of running a successful Kickstarter campaign. We didn’t do enough pre-campaign marketing. We only started when the campaign was already on-going and even then, it was hard to convince the press to cover us. By midway, we started to get the hang of it but by then, we have lost too much time and our target was a bit high.
We learned a lot of lessons and now we are more prepared to address the needs and requirements for a successful campaign. We’ve lowered our target to a more manageable amount. Also, we’ve done a lot more pre-marketing and we now have a demo to show that we are indeed capable of building the game.
Why did you decide to go back to Kickstarter? Why not Indiegogo, or run your own crowdfunding campaign, like many devs have successfully done?
We went back to Kickstarter to build the community. We started a community there and it only felt right to go back and hopefully succeed this time. Also, Kickstarter is a very high profile site wherein it provides an opportunity to be seen the most. Lastly, it felt like we had unfinished business to settle.
Tuesday - October 07, 2014
Graywalkers - Supernatural Creatures
Dreamlords Digital's posted the sixth update for Graywalkers: Purgatory shares details about the Supernatural Creatures you will fight, and meet in the game.
Today we will talk about some of the creatures you will be encountering on your adventures in the world of Graywalkers.
When the “Rupture” happened, Heaven and Hell were merged with earth. This merging of realities brought many creatures from there and in between in our plane of existence. This was most especially so for many demons, devils and even angels. Now with the walls breached, other supernatural creatures started pouring into our dimension through the Hellzone or some were even powerful enough to cross over on their own power because the barriers between worlds were now thin. In addition to creatures crossing over, mystical energies of dark and demonic nature have also started changing and corrupting anything alive.
Monday - October 06, 2014
RPGWatch - Graywalkers Updated Interview
I had the chance to ask more questions of Russell Tomas about his relaunched Kickstarter game. Thanks to all the members who submitted questions.
Couchpotato: Thank you for once again agreeing to talk with our site, and answer a few questions again. I know the relaunch was delayed multiple times so what has changed in the last few months since we we last talked?
Russell Tomas: We should be the one thanking you that you have chosen to interview us again. We truly appreciate it. And yes, the relaunch got delayed multiple times. The reasons for this were many but the bottom line is we weren’t ready yet. Also, the company was in a state of flux the past few months. It’s only after we stabilized in terms of where we stood did we decide it was time to move forward with the relaunch. We felt it better to delay the relaunch than launching and not being able to deliver. With the way we are setup now, we’re pretty confident we can make the game.
Saturday - October 04, 2014
Graywalkers - Strategic Management
Dreamlords Digital's posted the fifth update for Graywalkers: Purgatory shares details about how Strategic Management, As usual here is a small sample of the update.
To succeed in your role as the leader of the Graywalkers, you have to manage a lot of things such as your personnel, resources, factions, technology, magic, equipment, research, manufacturing and others. How you manage all of these can lead you to success or failure down the road.
Also, you have to adapt your strategies to the changes happening in the world. As we said, the game will be emergent so all your actions (or inactions) will have long reaching effects in this mostly unscripted dynamic world. Just remember that as you do your thing with your team, the world will continue to move forward, doing actions based on its own set of motivations and objectives, as well as reacting to the things you do.
The game is separated into several game views. Each view represents a certain scale of the game, from which you manage your strategy. These are the: Purgatory Map, Regionscape, and Areascape.
Purgatory Map / Globalscape
This shows the entire map of Purgatory, the Bermuda Triangle and the surrounding territories. From here, one can see the map of Purgatory divided into several regions. At the start of the game, you will only see 1 region active and the rest of the area covered by a fog of war. As you visit more areas and expand your influence, you will start seeing more of the map of Purgatory.
From this map, you will see icons of your active teams and which regions they are in, as well as locations that are currently under your control. It will also show major cities that have been visited or those whose locations have been revealed to you.
As the game expands later on, this map will eventually become a globalscape, meaning that we will begin to show the rest of the world and all the areas that you can visit and explore. For now though, all your adventures will be on Purgatory, but there will be references to what lies beyond.
In addition to your units, you can also see movements of other factions that you can detect. Take note that you won’t see units that are covered by the fog of war. The ability to detect other units depends also on your influence in the area. Let’s say a unit from a neutral or enemy faction goes within the range of a faction you are friendly with, or within range of one of your own units, then you will be able to detect them on the map until they are out of range.
Thursday - October 02, 2014
Graywalkers - Short Shout-out Update
Dreamlords Digital's next update for Graywalkers: Purgatory has a short list of upcoming events, and gives a shout out to a few other kickstarter games.
Short, Sweet & Shout-outs
Hello everybody! Today we will have a short update, at least in comparison to our usual loooong updates. We're just preparing more informative and exciting updates for all of you in the next few days. We are aiming to have an update for you guys as often as we can. There's a lot of information to share and we would like to give you as much as we can to build your enthusiasm for what lies ahead.
Things have slowed down here over the past few days but I'm confident that things will get better. We still have 33 days to go and we are now at 32% of the way to our goal. What I'm happy about is that we have quite a number of backers already. We're at 458, so we're just 140 shy of the final number of backers we had from our first campaign.
- Demo Update - we currently have a demo update lined up very soon. We're slowly improving the existing demo and trying to listen to the feedback that people have made. Obviously, not all feedback can be addressed immediately, but rest assured that we have made sure that we will not forget them. Right now, we're working on adding additional levels to the demo. We can't give you an exact date yet when it will be finished. We're hoping we should have it sometime next week.
- Updates Request - if you have any topics you would want us to cover or simply any other questions, feel free to ask us (please), and we'll try to cover them in the future updates. This is your chance to let us know exactly what you want to know more in depth about the game. Scheduled to be discussed in the next few days are: Character Creation, Combat, Enemies, Gear, Magic, History, Graywalker Backgrounds and Strategic Management. Expect more, but these are guaranteed to be discussed.
- Social Media Support - we would like to request everybody to please continue spreading the word around about us through social media such as facebook and twitter.
- Raffle - we will be starting our giveaway raffle very soon. Some examples of giveaways we have in store are the following: Batman™: Arkham Asylum GOTY, Crysis 2 Maximum Edition, F.E.A.R. 2: Project Origin, Natural Selection 2, The Lord of the Rings: War in the North, Dead Space, Command & Conquer: Red Alert 3 - Uprising and more. They are old but good games. You can participate in the raffle by fulfilling the requirements. By doing more of them, you get more raffle tickets. Examples of tasks are tweeting, posting on FB and the like. Basically we're asking you to spread the word about the game, and hopefully have the added incentive of getting a prize. We will inform you more about it in the next update as we prepare for it.
Wednesday - October 01, 2014
Graywalkers - Emergent Strategy Update
Dreamlords Digital's third update for Graywalkers about how the games Emergent Strategy will work. Basically it explains how the game world will react to you.
Hello! Today we will be tackling something that comes up a lot of times. People ask what exactly is a strategic emergent game and how are we applying it to Graywalkers Purgatory in particular. This is one of the core things that makes our game different from other turn-based strategy games so we'd like to explain them to everybody else.
For those who were in the past campaign, some may realize this is the same article. Nonetheless, we felt that the content was complete and would really give a good picture of what emergent really is. For those who have read it before, re-reading it would not be bad thing considering it's been 9 months since then. As for the new backers, its a long but very interesting read.
Hopefully, by the end of it, you will have a better understanding of what we're trying to achieve with Graywalkers Purgatory. So, let's get to it. Our CTO and Lead Engineer Ferds (Ferdinand Fernandez) will be the one to explain this to you guys.
Monday - September 29, 2014
Graywalkers - Aubrielle's Demo Preview
RPGWatch Staff member Aubrielle shares her thoughts on the Graywalkers Public Demo. So head on over to the new thread to discuss your opinion of the demo.
I've seen this game compared to XCom: Enemy Unknown, but I'm not seeing the similarities yet. Maybe they'll come in time, and maybe this early version of the game will look nothing like the final build. Time will tell. Edit: Well, there is one similarity, in the way characters are sort of premade for you, with their own classes and stats and names pre-assigned. There is that.
Also don't forget to download the demo from here if you missed my earlier news-bit.
Graywalkers - Demo & Others Update
Dreamlords Digital's second update for Graywalkers: Purgatory talks about a new game demo., and other stuff. The campaign has earned $11,542 of the $40,000 goal.
Demo and others
Today's update is primarily about the demo and a few other details. To get the demo, click on the picture below: This is also new art we will be posting on the main page tomorrow.The game is available in several platforms: Windows (32 bit & 64 bit), Mac, and Linux. Mac and Linux have universal builds so they will work in both 32 and 64 bit.
With the demo now in your hands, we would like to request that you provide feedback regarding everything you may like and dislike as well as bugs and features you may want to see in the future.
The normal process would be you would email, comment, or message us about them but we realized that people were ending up reporting the same issues repeatedly, or sending ones that we've been long aware of already. To help facilitate these issues with reporting, we would want to request those of you who really want to be part of the development process, to use the bug reporting system we're using: Gameloop.
A Few Important Notes About The Demo
- Feel free to share the demo builds to your friends and spread the word, or even make your own videos of it on YouTube. However, please do not re-upload this anywhere else. We want the site to be the source for the demos so we can tally how many people are trying it out.
- When taking screenshots, you can press Alt + tilde, to toggle the GUI's visibility, if you prefer it.
- We'll be continually tweaking small things here and there for the demo, and hopefully get to show you more stuff, like additional mission types, in the coming weeks. We'll also be using Gameloop to share with you our roadmap for the demo, what's coming soon, what's planned, etc. So check back there to see what will come up.
- This is only a pre-alpha prototype, and many of the things here are subject to change. We made this to give you guys an idea of how the game is played, and to help us improve it by giving us feedback. In particular we'd appreciate feedback with regards to usability (e.g. intuitiveness of controls, GUI, HUD display, etc.)
- We haven't tested the Linux build as we don't have a Linux machine ready. So to those of you using Linux, we'd appreciate hearing of any bugs you encounter that might be unique to Linux.
- We'd like for you to concentrate on posting reports about bugs/issues (or vote on existing ones) with regards to the combat demo only for now, but you're certainly welcome to go ahead and post suggestions for anything about the game, even outside what the playable demo shows.
- When describing a bug, please don't only post your recommended solution. Explain the problem that it's trying to solve. Don't just say "so and so should be added". Instead, explain your motivation why you think so. If you describe the problem, it may be that there is a better alternative solution to address it that we can find out.
- Please use Gameloop to cut down on redundant suggestions/bug reports. If you find your suggestion posted there already, vote it up! This lets us know that a lot of people want that particular idea realized. If you want to discuss a better proposal on an existing suggestion, post a reply to it. Everything should be open for discussion here.
Sunday - September 28, 2014
Graywalkers - The First 48 Hours
Dreamlords Digital's first update for Graywalkers: Purgatory talks about the first 48hrs. The campaign has earned $10,754 of the $40,000 goal.
Hello and welcome to the very first update for the Re-Launch of the Graywalkers Purgatory Kickstarter Campaign. For some of you, you've been here before many months ago. For the others, this is your first time to get an update from us.
First of all, I would like to say thank you to everybody who has backed us so far. We've already gotten 293 backers and have raised $9850 which is 25% of the way to our target goal. It's a great start and we're hoping that we will be able to maintain this pace and reach our goal soon. All of you guys have been wonderful in your support. We're hoping in the next few days, more of our companions from the old kickstarter will be back. We hope you guys will find your way back to us and support us again. As to the new people here, welcome to the frontlines. Thank you very much for lending your support to this project.
We will try to constantly give everybody updates. For those who have been with us before, some of the updates we will be sharing might be old news for some of you so please bear with us. Don't worry though, we do have a lot of fresh updates even for those that have been with us before. We've made some changes to a couple of key things and we will be discussing this more as we move forward.
Thursday - September 25, 2014
Graywalkers - Relaunch Now Live
Dreamlords Digital has launched the second kickstarter for Graywalkers: Purgatory today, and is asking for $40,000 in fourty days to get funded. Here is the latest trailer.
Graywalkers: Purgatory is the first in a series of Emergent Strategic and Tactical Turn-based 3D Role-Playing Games set in a stylish supernatural post-apocalyptic world, where parts of Heaven, Hell and Earth have merged together in an event called "The Rupture". It will be released for PC (Windows, Mac & Linux)
- A Strategic Turn-based RPG with features inspired by XCom, Fallout, & Jagged Alliance.
- Play in a dynamic emergent world where your actions actually change the world
- Find, Recruit and Lead your 36 Graywalkers from over 40+ NPCs: each with their own style, background, abilities and personality
- Strategically manage your resources, people, technology, and magic
- As the prophesied leader, unite the lands of Purgatory under your banner and lead the war to reclaim the world for humanity
We will be releasing a pre-alpha combat demo in 1-3 days. We're just doing some testing on the new builds before we release them to you. The demos will be for Windows, Mac and Linux.
Wednesday - September 24, 2014
Graywalkers - Relaunching September 24
Dreamlords Digital posted more news about the relaunch of Graywalkers: Purgatory on September 24 in a new kickstarter update released today.
Hello everybody! I know we've delayed the relaunch many times but now we're finally here. Honestly, I still don't feel prepared enough, but I guess that feeling won't really be going away no matter what we do. We just have to have faith and believe that we will succeed. We've done what we can and with your support, and the support of new people who will soon discover Graywalkers Purgatory, we will finally reach the finish line this time.
We will be Re-launching on Wednesday, September 24, 9PM EST. Please write that down on your calendar. We hope to see you all here and we hope you guys can start your pledging as soon as possible. We want to drive that momentum up early as high as we can and then sustain a steady rise after the initial push passes.
We hope you guys can help us market the campaign and we need your full support. To be able to do this, there are a few things we would like to request from everybody:
- Please like our FB page and follow our Twitter page. Also hopefully share and re-tweet our posts that we will be making throughout the campaign.
- We will be having some profile images that you can use for your Kickstarter accounts for those willing to use it during the campaign. Check out the KS page when we launch for links to the images.
- We will be having a Thunderclap campaign. We will launch the campaign on the launch day itself and will give ourselves 1 week to reach the 100 people who will support it. We hope you can join the campaign to allow our message to reach more people. For those not familiar with the Thunderclap, you can check them out here.
- Again as before, we hope you guys can tell people about us on the forums you frequent.
- We have a presskit too that we hope you can use to market and share to people and press. Click here for a link to the dropbox with the presskit and additional marketing materials.
- We would like to ask suggestions on what information would you like us to share with our updates. We will be sharing much of the content from the last KS for the benefit of the new people but we want to also share more info for you guys. Please let us know what you think we should share that will be more encouraging to new and old backers alike.
- If you guys have suggestions also on the KS page when we release, please let us know right away so we can update it asap. We're still doing final tweaks on it so we can't share it yet. But we will be on call and ready to update it on the fly when we launch. We might post it on the comments section here for you guys to check the day before the launch so for those interested, be sure to keep watch there.
For those who have donated via PayPal, you can still join and be part of the campaign by donating the $1 minimum. Don't worry, we have everybody's contribution on file so we will be sending you the appropriate reward for your contribution total at the end of the campaign.
Please take note, for those who will be re-pledging in this campaign from the old one, we will have special exclusive rewards. For those who pledged via PayPal, we will also have additional exclusive rewards as well.
Just to inform everybody here, the new campaign will have a few changes and they are listed below:
- Our current target is $40,000. We want to make sure that the campaign will be successful this time even with a lower target. How successful the campaign is will determine how much additional investment we will hopefully get from our potential investors.
- We are not 100% dependent on the KS anymore to get this game made. The KS still does affect how long things will be made and the quality of the product at the end. More funds always means faster and better development.
- We've limited some of the features and will be adding them as we hit stretch goals.
- In terms of content, we've also limited the story to the first chapter, at least in terms of what we are promising. The original KS campaign had 3 chapters in it but now we will only do one initially and the others will follow. Of course, the more funds we generate, then the more content we can put into the game when it releases. The additional content will probably be DLCs that will be free as part of the original purchases. Take note that we limited this because of time more than resources. We do intend to tell the whole original story planned, it will just take much longer. Depending on how much we make, then that will determine how long it will take us to build.
- The campaign will run for 40 days. Most people say from before that 30 days is best but so far, we've seen that every extra day we can get is potentially additional days for us to convince people to back the game.
- We have a demo this time around. The demo will be updated throughout the entire campaign so what you got before and what will be released this Wednesday is different, as well as the next ones to come.
- Our focus this time will be on the PC platform (Windows, Mac and Linux). We will still be having other platforms but this will depend heavily on Stretch goals. Also, we are adding PS4, XBox One, PS Vita and Wii U to the list of potential platforms that we will be porting to, in addition to Tablets.
- As we have been Greenlit on Steam, we can now guarantee that we will be including the option for Steam keys instead of the DRM Free versions. For those with multiple copies, you may have a combination of both.
- We finally have some kick-ass partners for music and sound. The guys from Otherworld Agency and Cedric Baravaglio have rounded out our team and had strengthened one of our weakest points from last Kickstarter.
- We've changed the rewards a bit. Biggest change is we have made it easier for everybody to get access to the beta and alphas and have made them available at lower tiers than before.
- We have a 4 page mini-comic that we will be posting but that will come after as soon as it's ready. We're expecting it to be ready by sometime next week
Thursday - September 18, 2014
Graywalkers - More News on Relaunch
Dreamlords Digital posted more news about the relaunch of Graywalkers: Purgatory on September 24. They will have a new update with more infomation soon.
Ok, so far our relaunch seems to be a go for September 24. We're looking at 9PM EST. Will be posting an update this weekend for final announcements
We will be needing everybody's help. We will be doing a Thunderclap campaign for this launch. Hopefully you can just create an account there and support it. It will cost you guys no money, only a little effort and support. Will be posting more about that very soon. Thank you!
Monday - September 15, 2014
Graywalkers - Kickstarter Update
Dreamlords Digital has posted news the kickstarter relaunch of Graywalkers: Purgatory will be on September 24. So fingers crossed it doesn't get delayed once again.
Hello everyone. We will be submitting our page to Kickstarter this weekend to get it approved. It normally takes 2-3 days for approval. Assuming there are no issues with the page and it gets approved, our target launch will be on September 24.
Sunday - August 24, 2014
Graywalkers - New Combat Video
Russell Tomas of Dreamlords Digital was kind enough to send a new video of the updated combat system for that backers got in the last update.
He also sent a link to a new demo which I'm sorry to say I can't share, but don't worry it will be available when the game relaunches in the second week of September.
Friday - August 22, 2014
Graywalkers - September Relaunch
We would like to invite you all and support us when we relaunch our Kickstarter this 2nd week of September. Be sure to check it out as we will be releasing a combat demo by then. Thank you all and hope to see you all there!
Thursday - July 24, 2014
Graywalkers - Re-launch Status Update
Thanks toGraywalkers: Purgatory. You may recall the original kickstarter failed, and was supposed to re-launch months ago.
: It has been a while, and I'm still as excited as ever. Your game world is actually unique and I love the character designs! Please say you're still at work.
: We're really glad to hear that you are still excited. Yes, it has been a while and we apologize for that...and yes we are still hard at work on it. Good news is we will have a big update here in less than 2 weeks where we will tell you about the future of Graywalkers and show you a sneak peak on what we've built in the past few months.
Friday - May 16, 2014
Graywalkers - Relaunch Delayed Again
Dreamlords Digital has posted news the kickstarter relaunch of Graywalkers: Purgatory is once again delayed. This makes the fifth delay in three months.
Unfortunately to say, we will not launch on May 15. We are still debugging the demo before we release. However, we will be releasing an update in a few days and it will include a video and screenshots of the current demo. We have the demo, it's just not fit for public consumption yet. Our intention is to get everybody's feedback here on what they see so we can improve on it before we release. We're also taking the time for the next few weeks to start marketing the game before we relaunch. We apologize again for the delay. It couldn't be helped but do know that it is in the best interest of the game and for you guys, the community. Thank you. Hope you guys understand.
Tuesday - April 29, 2014
Graywalkers - May 15th Relaunch & GOG
Dreamlords Digital has shared the new date of the official relaunch of their SRPG Kickstarter Graywalkers: Purgatory, and talks about games demo.
We are glad to know you are excited. We're excited too but a bit nervous as well though. Just as an update, we're planning a May 15 Relaunch. We are planning to send you guys a link to the demo to get your immediate feedback so we can fix things before we send them to press and maybe even public release depending on how things are with the demo.
They also post they are looking into getting the game on GOG .
As for GoG, we definitely want to be part of it. We mentioned this even from the beginning. We've looked at some of the options to get on there. Hopefully, when we deal with them directly, we will be accepted as one to be distributed on their market.
Monday - April 21, 2014
Graywalkers - Greenlit & Relaunch Postponed
Dreamlords Digital shares news on the games kickstarter comment section about Graywalkers: Purgatory being greenlit on Steam.
Great news everyone! Graywalkers Purgatory has just been Greenlit on Steam! Thank you everybody for the support
They also announce the Kickstarter relaunch is delayed for a few more weeks.
As for the relaunch, we will need to delay again for 1-2 weeks but this is the final push back. We're almost ready to go. The only thing that isn't finished is the demo and we wanted that when we relaunched, we would have the demo. Also, being greenlit changes a bit of our strategy. Hope you all understand.
Tuesday - April 08, 2014
Graywalkers - Relaunch on April 24th
Dreamlords Digital has moved the kickstarter relaunch for Graywalkers Purgatory to April 24th. The previous date was March so lets hope it doesn't change again.
The Graywalkers Purgatory Kickstarter will be relaunched in a bigger and better way on April 24, 2014. Be sure to watch out for this and we will definitely keep everybody updated.
Monday - March 31, 2014
Graywalkers - Interview @ Red Gaming Tech
Red Gaming Tech interviewed DreamWalker’s CEO, and Lead Game Designer Russell Thomas. They talk about the next kickstarter, and his opinion on Indie games.
RGT: You’re currently hard at work on Graywalkers and preparing to re-launch a kick starter campaign in March this year. Can you share how development for Graywalkers is progressing and how you’re preparing for your new campaign?
Russell Tomas: Development for Graywalkers is progressing steadily, at least with regards to preparations for the Kickstarter. We’re currently working on a playable demo to showcase some of the game’s highlights, particularly it’s turn based combat and some of the different missions and environments you may experience in the game. We’re also building more levels of various environments to include in the video that won’t be seen in the demo. For our video, we plan to focus more on gameplay then make it short and sweet. We’re also slowly trying to get the word out and this has been going on steadily.
RGT: How do you feel the landscape in shifting in regards to indie development on both PC, mobile and consoles?
Russell Tomas: Well, it definitely is a good time to be indie. We hope this momentum that has started will continue. With technology being more readily available now, we feel this growth of the indie industry will continue to grow. With regards to PC and mobile, this is already on the way. For consoles, we hope that these indie initiatives by the console makers would be an impetus for indie developers to start considering these markets more seriously. As multi-platform technologies evolve, the ability for indie developers to deploy on multiple platforms becomes much easier which in turn opens up new markets and opportunities.
RGT: On your website you mention you’ll be porting the game over to the Wii U. Have you had much experience dealing with Nintendo, many studios have said they (Nintendo) are being extremely supportive recently to indie studios.
Thank you Sumerisle for sending in the link.
Saturday - March 29, 2014
Graywalkers - Top 100 of Steam Greenlight
Dreamlords Digital has a new post on Steam about the games ranking on Greenlight. We still have no news about the kickstarter relaunch. It seems to be on hold for now.
Now in the Top 100 of Steam Greenlight
Monday - March 17, 2014
Graywalkers - Interview @ The Id DM
Russell Tomas the Creator/Team Lead of Graywalkers Purgatory was interviewed on The Id DM to answer a few questions. Here is a small part of the interview.
Your first Kickstarter campaign aimed at bringing Graywalkers to life was not successful. What lessons did you and your team learn from that process? What needs to change the second time around for the Kickstarter to fund?
With our first Kickstarter, we learned a lot. There were many factors that affected what happened and I think we are more prepared now. I can honestly say that we were totally unprepared for the first one. I guess that’s why I never truly felt that bad that we didn’t make it the first time around. I did my research and prepared but there were many things we failed to do beforehand which would have improved our chances. For one, we didn’t do much in the way of marketing. We didn’t do any pre-marketing, and marketing during the campaign was limited. I think the only reason we even got to $44K was simply on the fact that many loved the idea of the game. Our video wasn’t all that great as well, so that was another drawback. It was too long and lacked gameplay video. We only got gameplay footage after the campaign was going for over a week. Also, luck and timing was not in our favor. When we came out, it was like all the best RPGs all went to get funding. We were competing with other games I personally felt I would like to pledge to. In the end, many of these great games didn’t get funded as well. They said one major reason was the string of bad PR for indie game groups in KS that didn’t keep their end of the bargain and also because of KS fatigue. Being too close to Thanksgiving and Christmas also didn’t help, as well as having the launch of PS4 and XBox One happen those same weeks. Everybody was simply tapped out of excess cash.
What is it like to see some campaigns be wildly successful and others struggle? I imagine it’s a mixture of hope and anguish!
It is frustrating, exhilarating, stressful, and exciting. The Kickstarter campaign is one of the most grueling things you can ever do to yourself physically, mentally and emotionally, all at the same time. For the whole time of the campaign, you will not be able to properly sleep, eat, rest or anything else. Kickstarter will be your world every waking minute that you have till it’s done. I don’t recommend it for everybody but if you relish the challenge, then by all means, go for it. It definitely builds character and I truly believe that it’s worth the risk. It is a unique opportunity and if you have an idea or a dream, you have an opportunity to reach it. You just have to be honest to yourself about the support you get. Based on the feedback, you can tell if your product is a great one or not.
Tuesday - February 18, 2014
RPGWatch - Graywalkers: Purgatory Interview
We had the opportunity to ask Dreamlords Digital Russell Tomas a few questions about their upcoming game Graywalkers: Purgatory. Their original Kickstarter campaign did not make it, but they intend to be back in March with a new campaign.
This is my first interview with hopefully a few more to follow in the next weeks.
Saturday - February 15, 2014
Graywalkers - Valentines & Updates
Dreamlords Digital has new update on the kickstater page for Graywalkers: Purgatory with more infomation on the games relaunch.
Hello everybody! First off, let me greet everybody here a Happy Valentines! We hope that everybody will have a fun and loving day with their loved ones.
It's been a while since we've had an update. We want everybody to know that we've been busy working on the game, as well as marketing it in preparation for the relaunch. Entropy has been doing a spectacular job and as many of you have seen, we've been managing to be constantly visible in the press the past few months. This is good news because despite the KS failing, it just shows that many people are interested in the game.
To keep everybody up to speed, here are the developments and updates regarding the game.
We have moved the relaunch to the middle of March 2014, instead of the originally planned late February 2014. The reason for this is the playable pre-alpha demo that we intend to release isn't fully ready yet and we feel that it's better that we focus on quality rather than speed for this one. The demo will not be a public demo though, or at least that is the plan. The demo will only be released to the press and of course to you guys, our veteran backers. Depending on the reviews for demo, we might decide to release it eventually to the public sometime during the campaign.
Friday - February 14, 2014
Graywalkers - Relaunch Moved to March
Dreamlords Digital has moved the Kickstarter relaunch for Graywalkers to early March.
The Graywalkers Purgatory Kickstarter will be relaunched in a bigger and better way in early March 2014. Be sure to watch out for this and we will definitely keep everybody updated.
Wednesday - January 15, 2014
Graywalkers - Steam Greenlight Update
Dreamlords Digital has a new update for Graywalkers on Steam Greenlight.
62% of the way to the Top 100!
Graywalkers RPG's Steam Greenlight entry is now 62% of the way to the Top 100! We ask all of you who have not yet voted "Yes" to do so, and to please ask your friends to do the same. Also, please click the "Follow" and "Favorite" buttons, located under our video here.
One of our key goals is to get Graywalkers greenlit before we relaunch on Kickstarter in February.
Please tell your friends about Graywalkers, and share through Steam and other social networks. Thanks so much to you all!
Thursday - December 26, 2013
Graywalkers - Post-Funding Update #24
Dreamlords Digital has posted another post-funding update for Graywalkers: Purgatory with news on the project status, and of course the relaunch in February.
Merry Christmas & Happy Holidays!!!!
First of all, from all of us here at Dreamlords Digital and the Graywalkers Team, we want to greet you all a very Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays!!!! We wish you all the best and may all your Xmas wishes come true.!!!
Thank you to each and everyone of you have supported us during the first kickstarter, and those who have continued their support through Paypal. You guys have been very generous and supportive and we are touched of the passion you have for Graywalkers. We would also like to thank everybody in advance for committing to support us on our next kickstarter in Feb.
Game Development Ongoing
Development is coming along just fine. We are currently reworking some of the character designs based on feedback, as well as improving our pre-alpha demo. We are currently building more levels , which you will see in the video, as well as finalizing a more stable demo that we intend to release to the press for review. We will also be creating a new video for the relaunch which we intend to show to Veteran supporters for feedback before we finalize it for use.
Previous Kickstarter pledges
We've been getting some info that many people are not familiar with what happens when a campaign fails so we wanted to clarify this. All pledges made during the last Kickstarter were canceled and no one was charged. This may be obvious to many, but we get the question a lot. If you want to support Graywalkers, you will have to pledge again either through PayPal or through our relaunch in Feb. If you do so, we would appreciate it greatly.
Though the final date is not yet set, we are looking at possible dates between Feb 10 to Feb 15, 2014. The final date will depend on how finalized the new demo and the content for the relaunch will be. We prefer to make sure that we are more prepared when we relaunch rather than rush it. Your feedback regarding a good relaunch date would also be appreciated.
Wednesday - December 25, 2013
Graywalkers - Kickstarter Relaunch
Dreamlords Digital has a new post with information that the Gray Walkers Purgatory Kickstarter will be relaunched in February.
The Graywalkers Purgatory Kickstarter will be relaunched in a bigger and better way in February 2014. Be sure to watch out for this and we will definitely keep everybody updated.
Friday - November 29, 2013
Graywalkers - Funding Unsuccessful
The kickstarter for Graywalkers: Purgatory has failed to reach it funding goal. Here is the latest update with the news. I look forward to the future to see what becomes of the game, and shall keep you all informed.
ENDINGS AND BEGINNINGS
Hello Graywalkers! We’re now at the last hour of the campaign and it will be ending soon. Obviously we did not make our target but we did indeed give it a good run. We’ve reached close to half our original target despite all the difficulties and I personally think that it is an achievement in itself. We’ve learned a lot from this experience and from you, the community.
I would also like to say Happy Thanksgiving to everybody. I don’t think everybody here celebrates it but nonetheless, I think today is definitely a day of giving thanks no matter where we are.
With that in mind, I would like to express my gratitude and thanks from the bottom of my heart to each and every one of you here. You took a chance on us, and we truly appreciate that. Personally, your comments, questions, appreciations and encouragements have helped me believe more in what we are doing. You have given us strength and resolve to move forward despite the difficulties that lie ahead. On our end, we will do our very best to ensure that the trust you have given us will not be in vain and that we will deliver on our promise.
I would also like to thank all the studios who agreed to co-market with us. They have been helpful and we hope that we’ve helped them too in our own little way. We’ve made some friends and I’m hoping we can someday work with them again in the future in some manner.
I’d like to personally thank Entropy. Man, you are our guardian angel for this campaign. What you’ve done for us is too many to mention. Suffice to say, without you our campaign’s performance would have been terrible. We owe you big time.
To my team and to our interns, thank you all for the hard work you guys have poured into this campaign.
Lastly, thank you Lord for pretty much everything else.
Wednesday - November 27, 2013
Graywalkers - Kickstarter Updates #19 & 20
Graywalkers: Purgatory has 35 hours left and is still short of their $100,000 goal.Never the less it hasn't stopped or discouraged them as I have two more updates.
Random Questions & Answers
Hello Graywalkers! We’re down to the last 3 days. Normally, most people would be throwing in the towel already with at least 67% to go but not us. What can I say, I’m an optimist and watching Dr. Who last night made me say to myself “Never Give Up, Never Give In”. While there is still a chance, no matter how slim, we will continue to move forward. I know that if we all rally together, we can still do this. One cannot build a game like Graywalkers, and not believe in miracles.
For today’s update, we will be answering a bunch of random questions which we have encountered officially and unofficially. Some of them also answers questions that we felt we should have answered but somehow missed.
We're now at the homestretch. For everybody here who has backed us, now is the time to make our move and show everybody that this game deserves to be made and that the community behind it really wants it to become a reality. So we invite everybody to make that extra effort for the next 3 days to help us get this game made. If we do get this game funded, we intend to deliver to you the game that we promised. I know you guys don't know me but i give you my word that we will deliver what we promised. In life, a man's value is only as good as his word so I'm putting mine on the line for everyone to know and see.
Now let's begin with some of the question and answers.
If Purgatory going to be DRM Free? Will there be Steam Keys?
Graywalkers Purgatory will be DRM free. We will also provide Steam Keys, provided we get Greenlit by launch.
With there be romance and relationships in the game?
There will definitely be relationships in the game between the various NPCs. You of course will be building your own relationship with them as well. As for romance, this is something we are definitely looking at to do. Our decision to put romance in the game will depend heavily on whether you the community wants it in or not. If we do put romance, the options will be more diverse on who you can have a relationship with.
What makes Graywalkers special?
Each Graywalker is special. As someone divinely blessed to protect and save the world, each one is exceptional in one way or another. They are normally gifted with a different way of looking at the world, as well as some special talent, skill or ability that goes beyond the norm. Many legendary heroes or historical figures in history have been Graywalkers, though who they are we will reveal in the game.
What happens if you don’t make the Kickstarter target? What are your plans?
Though we haven't given up yet, we do have some contingency plans in place just in case we don't make the goal. Some of the possible ideas that we have considered are:
- Relaunch the game in late January or early February. This includes improving the overall presentation, videos and demos.
- Open up the game to private investors. We plan on offering it first to the backers, and then after to other private investors we know off.
- We continue to fund it on our own resources and simply ask people to pre-order and donate on our website. This includes possibly continuing and keeping the rewards system that was started here on Kickstarter.
Till the last day, none of these decisions are final yet. We will definitely inform you all as to our final decision with regards to how we will proceed after the campaign.
Sunday - November 24, 2013
Graywalkers: Purgatory - Update #18, Strategic Management
In the next kickstarter update for Graywalkers: Purgatory we get more information on how the game handles strategic management.
Welcome to Update #18. We are nearing the end of the campaign and with 5 days more to go, we want bring you as much info as we can. Today will be a long one and we will be talking about the strategic aspects of the game. After that we will have some announcements as well as some shout-outs for some friends of ours.
To succeed in your role as the leader of the Graywalkers, you have to manage a lot of things such as your personnel, resources, factions, technology, magic, equipment, research, manufacturing and others. How you manage all of these can lead you to success or failure down the road.
Also, you have to adapt your strategies to the changes happening in the world. As we said, the game will be emergent so all your actions (or inactions) will have long reaching effects in this mostly unscripted dynamic world. Just remember that as you do your thing with your team, the world will continue to move forward, doing actions based on its own set of motivations and objectives, as well as reacting to the things you do.
The game is separated into several game views. Each view represents a certain scale of the game from where to manage your strategy. These are the: Purgatory Map, Regionscape, and Areascape.
Purgatory Map / Globalscape
This is shows the entire map of Purgatory, the Bermuda Triangle and the surrounding territories. From here, one can see the map of Purgatory divided into several regions. At the start of the game, you will only see 1 region active and the rest of the area covered by a fog of war. As you visit more areas and expand your influence, you will start seeing more of the map of Purgatory.
From this map, you will see icons of your active teams and which regions they are in, as well as locations that are currently under your control. It will also show major cities that have been visited or those who’s locations have been revealed to you.
As the game expands later on, this map will eventually become a globalscape, meaning that we will begin to show the rest of the world and all the areas that you can visit and explore. For now though, all your adventures will be on Purgatory, but there will be a references to what lies beyond.
In addition to your units, you can also see movements of other factions that you can detect. Take note that you won’t see units that are covered by the fog of war. The ability to detect other units depends also on your influence in the area. Let’s say a unit from a neutral or enemy faction goes within the range of a faction you are friendly with or one of your units, then you will be able to detect them on the map until they are out of range.
Wednesday - November 20, 2013
Graywalkers: Purgatory - Update #17, Characters
Dreamlords Digital has posted the latest update for Graywalkers: Purgatory with a look at the playable NPC's of the game.
Welcome to Update #17 and today we will talk about some of the characters you may find in the world of Graywalkers Purgatory. Below are some of the characters you may encounter in the game as possible recruits. Take note that the character designs and information are still a work in progress and are subject to change by the time of final release.
Tuesday - November 19, 2013
Graywalkers: Purgatory - Update #16, Magic
In the latest kickstarter update for Graywalkers: Purgatory the developer Dreamlords Digital goes into detail about the games magic system.
With the event called the Rupture, one of the most significant changes is the return of magic in force and the full influx of supernatural energies into our world. Though magic has been accessible prior to the Rupture, very few people had access to true magic back then. Nowadays though, at least 10% of those born post-Rupture have the innate ability to access magic. However, to be an effective spellcaster one requires proper training or tutelage from an experienced caster.
Views on Magic
As a whole, people believe and know of the existence of magic. It’s an accepted way of life though people seeing real magic power are few and far between. Though it is known to exist, many distrust magic. Like with most people, there is fear of the unknown and the fact that magic is connected to all the bad stuff that’s happened to the world in the past 2 decades hasn’t helped people to trust it more. The more educated an area is, the more accepting they are of magic. There are settlements where all things magic are outright banned and in contrast there are settlements that have embraced magic more than they accept technology.
Types of Magic
There are 2 general types of Magic in the world of Graywalkers: Arcane magic and Divine Magic.
- Arcane Magic is the manipulation of reality through a formula of gestures and incantations. In essence, an arcane spellcaster forces his will upon the universe utilizing the energy around him or his own energies to make it happen. Though arcane magic is very versatile, it’s strength is in the area of offensive and utility type of spells.
- Divine Magic is magic that flows through to the spellcaster from an outworldly divine source. This source can vary but the simple idea is that the power comes from somebody else giving it to the caster. This can be in the form of prayer, chants, pacts or other similar arrangements of communication between caster and source.
Sunday - November 17, 2013
Graywalkers: Purgatory - Update #15, Rewards
Dreamlords Digital has posted the next update for Graywalkers: Purgatory talking about new rewards, and friends. The project has 12 days left with only $22,219 of it's $100,000 goal need to get funded.
More Friends & Rewards
Today's update will be short and will focus on where we are at and where we hope to go.
We are now 12 days to the end of the campaign. Due to the fantastic work of our new Online Relations Manager Bob "Entropy" Greenfield and the generous support our friends from many of our partner studios here in Kickstarter, we are still in the fight. That is still a lot of time to reach our target of $100,000. We are now at $21,500 with 355 backers and hopefully those numbers will increase much faster in the days to come. At this point we really need each and everyone's help in getting the word out about our game.
With regards to our Steam Greenlight, we are currently at 3390 and 38% of the way to top 100. If you have not voted, please vote YES for us on Steam Greenlight. If we get on Steam, everybody who got digital downloads will get a Steam Key as well as their DRM free download.
We also have some important announcements that we hope you will like. We are hoping these upgrades to some of the mid level tiers will be enticing enough for you guys to upgrade your pledges:
- Starter Pack Upgrade: The In-Game Starter Pack that we lowered to the $75 tier last week is now lowered to the $50 tier. The $50 tier now gets the In-Game Starter Pack (basic) and all higher tiers get their in-game starter pack upgraded by 1 tier. (ex. $75 before was Basic, is now Copper)
- Access Upgrades: We announced a few updates back that we lowered the access to $100 (Beta), $250 (Closed Beta) and $500 (Alpha). Now, we improve it again as Closed Beta Access will now be available at the $150 Tier and the Alpha Access will now be available at the $250 Tier.
- Signed Digital Art Print Upgrade: We are upgrading the $100 Tier with a Signed Digital Art Print (8.5"x11").
- Signed Digital Poster Print Upgrade: We are upgrading the $150 Tier with a Signed Digital Poster Print (24"x36").
- Digital Copy of the Graywalkers Table-Top RPG: This digital copy of the table-top RPG main rule book is now available at the $150 Tier and is still available as an Add-On for $20.
- Extra Digital Download Copy: We are adding an extra digital download copy of the game to the $75 Tier. Of course this means those higher than $75 will get the additional digital download copy as well.
Friday - November 15, 2013
Graywalkers: Purgatory - Update #14, Environments
Dreamlords Digital has posted the next update for Gray Walkers: Purgatory that goes in to details about super typhoons, and the games environment.
Due to the nature of how the country-sized island of Purgatory was formed, the land is composed of various types of terrain and environments close to each other.
Normally, when people say it is a post-apocalyptic game, the idea is always a desert like wasteland. Though a lot of those exist in the lands of Purgatory, the mystical nature of the entire place makes the environment much more varied and much more dangerous.
You will find yourself in environments such as sandy deserts, rocky plains, thick jungles, barren roads, cities over run with plant life, mystical swamps, snow-covered peaks, burning hellish locales, dark forests, magical Eden-like gardens, and many others. Take note that it is possible to have different kind of environments not too far from each other.
Environmental Game Effects
In the game itself, we are looking at environment to be a factor not just in combat , but also with regards to survival. In normal mode, you won't have to worry too much about food, water and the environment. However, at a higher difficulty level, these things suddenly come into play.
For example, with normal gameplay, you don’t need to manage food and water with regards to survival, You only need food and water to simply speed up your recovery of health and energy.
In a higher difficulty rating, you will need food and water constantly to survive. Not having enough food and water on a daily basis will deteriorate your character’s stats. Eventually, if it takes too long without food and water, they can also eventually die. The environment your character is in will determine how fast you need the food and water. For example, if your character was in a settlement that sold any food or water, even without really buying anything, your needs will practically be suspended. Your body will be in a “safe zone” of sorts. The moment you step out though, well that changes everything. The type of environment you are in will determine what you will need more. Some environments will require you to need more water than food, and vice versa. To minimize management, there will probably be an auto-consume function. As long as you have food in the team, you don’t have to worry about it until you’re close to running out.
Other effects of the environment will be on movement, both in the strategic view and in the tactical view. In the strategic map, the environment affects your travel speed. Really bad terrain will slow down your movement as you travel across some parts of the land.
On the tactical level, the environment affects your movement as well. In combat, moving over difficult terrain will cost you more action points to move through them.
Also, the environment affects things like visibility and cover. Using your environment to your advantage will make a big difference between success and failure.
Wednesday - November 13, 2013
Graywalkers: Purgatory - Update #13, Halfway
Dreamlords Digital has posted the next update for Gray Walkers: Purgatory with news about the project is at the halfway mark, and promises they won't give up.
HALFWAY: TAKING ARMS
As you all know, we are now half-way through our campaign. Unfortunately, we are still at 18%. Though we know the difficulty to reach the goal is now much higher, we also know that is still very possible to reach it. It has been proven that pledges can reach $100K in a day in the right situation. For us, we just need to find those right situations and make it happen.
We won’t be giving up no matter what. To succeed though, we will need each and everyone’s help seriously. We believe you want this game to happen as much as we do, and if you do, we ask that you “take up arms” and actively fight alongside us till the end of this campaign and try to achieve victory. Because in reality, it only through working together that we can do this. So please, help us get the word out and get as many people to pledge. There is still time and let's make the most of it.
Sunday - November 10, 2013
Graywalkers: Purgatory - Update #11, New Cover Art & Rewards
Dreamlords Digital has posted the next update for Gray Walkers: Purgatory with a look at the new cover, and to announce a few more rewards you can add to your pledge.
New Cover Art & Rewards
Today's Update will be short and will only be announcements. We will have more content for you tomorrow though. Anyway, we are nearing the halfway point of our campaign but we've been moving slower than anticipated. It's a difficult time to be here in Kickstarter unfortunately. Many good games seem to not be able to do as well as they would be expected to do. We're not the only one going through this problem at the moment. But all is not lost, luckily we still have 19 days to go, more than enough time to turn things around. This is why we are asking everybody to really start actively help us get more people to the campaign.
To help this effort, we are introducing new rewards as well as upgrading some. Hopefully this will entice new backers as well as convince our existing backers to increase their pledges.
New Cover Art: We've updated the look of our cover art. Hope you like it. Let us know if you like this new one or if you prefer the old one. We're hoping this new art will be more attractive to entice new potential backers.
Graywalkers World Book: We are releasing a new reward called the Graywalkers World Book. This will contain information about the world, history, characters, locations about the World of Graywalkers. This reward will be included in the $100 Tier as well.
In-Game Starter Pack Upgrade: We will be upgrading all In-Game Starter Packs. Before , these start only at the $150 Tier and up. Now, the In-Game Starter Pack will begin at $75 (Basic) and up and everything else get's upgraded accordingly. To clarify, In-game starter packs contain some useful consumables, starter crafting materials, and other minor items that won't really destroy game balance but make your game a bit more interesting.
Beta Access to the Game: Normally, the beta access is available at the $500 Tier. We have decided we want many of you there. So we decided to lower it to the $100 tier. Now that is a tier many of you guys now can afford to play the game months in advance of its release.
Closed Beta Access to the Game: This is normally available at the $1000 Tier but we are lowering it to the $250 Tier. At this level, you will see the game in its first Beta Incarnations which is a few months ahead of Beta Access.
Alpha Access to the Game: We are also bringing down the Alpha Access to the game from $1500 down to $500 Tier. This means you will have access to the Alpha build of the game as early as within the 2nd quarter of 2014, assuming we succeed in this campaign.
Saturday - November 09, 2013
Graywalkers: Purgatory - Update #10, Combat
Dreamlords Digital has posted the next update for Gray Walkers: Purgatory with a detailed description on how the combat woks.
Today’s topic will be one of my favorites, and I think many people’s favorite as well, Combat! Though there are ways to resolve encounters in Graywalkers Purgatory without using violence, sometimes there is no option but to fight.
Normally, combat happens in 2 situations. It can happen while you are in the Regionscape View or the Areascape view.
For those who are not familiar with each, the Regionscape view is an overhead 3d map showing the region where your active team is. From here you can manage their actions and where you want them to go. Normally your team is represented by an Icon (top view) or an avatar (isometric view). Combat happens when your Icon’s area of influence intersects with an enemy’s area of influence. For example, you detect a team heading towards a village, you can intercept them (assuming you’re fast enough) and engage combat with them. We will talk more about the Regionscape in a future Update.
The Areascape is the 3d isometric view when you zoom into specific locations in the region. This is normally automatic when entering settlements and special locations. In this view, your characters move in real-time.
TYPES OF COMBAT
In the game, there are 2 types of combat you can engage in. The first is Strategic Quick Combat. This type only happens when you are in the Regionscape. Let’s say you see a group of enemies heading your way, and you encounter them. A pop up screen will appear showing you an estimate of what you are fighting. For example it will say 5-7 Bandits. You will have the option to choose quick combat or tactical combat then.
If you choose Quick Combat, it will automatically resolve the combat based simply on your characters stats, power levels, weapons, armor and other relevant combat factors. Before you start, you can also choose your combat stance: Offensive, Normal, Defensive. Each one will have its own advantage and disadvantage. The offensive stance will allow your side to deal more damage but may also take more damage. For defensive stance, you deal less damage as well as take less damage. Your choice will affect the result of the quick combat. You may also have an option to try and retreat though sometimes, it’s not guaranteed that you will succeed in fleeing. This is very similar to the quick combat found in JA2.
Tactical Turn-Based Combat
If you choose tactical then you go turn based and your screen changes to the Combatscape Screen or basically your combat view. While in Areascape, you can also go into Combat mode by choice or when an encounter is started. This changes the view from real time to turn-based.
Thursday - November 07, 2013
Graywalkers: Purgatory - Update #9, What are Graywalkers?
Dreamlords Digital has posted a new update Graywalkers: Purgatory that answers the question,"What are Graywalkers?".
What are Graywalkers?Today we will start with the topic right away and it is about the Graywalkers. Hopefully this will answer many questions about them and give you a clearer idea of what you are doing in the world.
HOW THE GRAYWALKERS CAME TO BE
Before there were Graywalkers, there is the legend of the “The 36” or sometimes called “The Hidden Ones” or "The 36 Righteous Ones". These 36 were gifted individuals divinely blessed who had the destiny to protect or save mankind. Nobody really knows when they came into existence. It is simply known that they are the ones who influence change in the world to save it. They say many great men and women in history are among them, though there are those that have reached their destiny anonymously. It is also said that for the world to continue to exist, there should always be 36.
There are 36 of them at one time, but not all of them are “active” or revealed. There are always many "Potentials" in the world. These are those who could be one of the 36 but who's journey to his destiny has not truly yet began. Sometimes, a member of the 36 may go through its life never discovering his or her destiny. In fact, for majority of known history, the 36 were never complete except in extreme circumstances.
Tuesday - November 05, 2013
Graywalkers: Purgatory - Pre-Alpha Gameplay
Dreamlords Digital released a early pre-alpha combat gameplay video last week. It's a chance to see the game in action, and to decide if it's worth pledging.
Monday - November 04, 2013
Graywalkers: Purgatory - Update #8, Steam Greenlight & Crowd Content
Dreamlords Digital has posted a new update Graywalkers: Purgatory with news about Steam Greenlight, and crowd content.
As for the project itself keep spreading the word as it only has $15,732 of it's $100,000 goal with 24 days left.
Steam Greenlight & Crowd Content
Hello everybody. We have a couple of good news for our Update today.
First is we've just opened up our Steam Greenlight Page. This isn't the Concept page we tested the other day, this is now our full blown page. Please visit it if you have Steam and lend your support there as well.
So far, in less than 12 hours live, our Greenlight page has gotten more than 600+ (745 as of publishing this) Yes votes already. We are overwhelmed by the positive response that the game has been getting from those that voted. Hopefully, our presence there will generate more pledges here on Kickstarter.
Many of you are probably wondering what exactly is Crowd Content and this update, we plan to share more info on what it is, why we are doing it and how do we plan to go about it.
What is Crowd Content?
Simply put, Crowd Content is our crowdsourcing initiative similar in ways to the efforts made by Brian Fargo of Wasteland 2 and brought to the next level. I'm a big fan of the idea that Fargo introduced that I wondered why they limited it only to 3D models, at least as far as I know. So, it came to me, why not open it up the entire game to be populated by content created by the community. They can donate their content to the game and then be credited and rewarded for it. In addition to 3d Models, it would also include 2D art, textures, animation, particles, music, voice overs.
Sunday - November 03, 2013
Graywalkers: Purgatory - Update #7, Character Creation
Dreamlords Digital is back with update number seven for Graywalkers: Purgatory with details on the games character creation.
You are required to create your avatar character in the game. He or she will be the leader of the group and Is the person most interaction is directed to. Your avatar is the only character you can create from scratch. You can customize his appearance, gender, race, attributes, path, skills and abilities.
Characters you recruit will have a starting template which you cannot modify. His gender, race, starting appearance, attributes, path, skills and abilities are all set when you recruit him. Of course, as he levels up, you can choose how he will progress beyond his starting template. You will be able to customize his attributes, skills and abilities.
When you start creation, your first choice is to determine your gender. The choices are of course Male or Female.
After choosing your gender, your next choice to make is your Race. Now this is very important as your race determines a lot of in-game advantages and disadvantages that are long-term.
Below is a short description of the races available at creation. They will be discussed more in detail though in a later update:
- Human: these are of course the dominant race on Purgatory.
- Dhampir: they are the half-vampire half-human hybrids.
- Nephilim: they are the half-angel half-human hybrids.
- Cambion: they are the half-demon or half-devil mixed with humans. The half-demons are normally the more common variants as Devils seem to be less prone to this by choice.
- Wolfkin: they can be either half-human half-werewolf or half-wolf half werewolves. The half-human variants are more common however.
- Hunterborne (Stretch Goal): they are natures defense mechanism against the supernatural. They look human but are all supernaturally perfect physical specimens who are perfect hunters.
- Faechilde (Stretch Goal): they are the hybrid children of the Fae Folk. They are normally magically gifted.Based on the race you choose, you will acquire a starting template package that will provide the following:
- Racial Attributes: each race will have a bonus or penalty to its attributes. Humans in general will not have a bonus or penalty to its attribute.
- Racial Paths: Your race choice can also affect how effective your character is within a certain “Path”. No matter what you race is though, all paths are available to you but of course some Races are simply better (or weaker) at some Paths than others.
- Racial Skills: Each Race will have bonuses to certain skills as well as have some skills as part of their primary skill set even if it is not in their Path choice. Humans will have a bonus to skills which they can choose.
- Racial Abilities: Each race starts with some bonus abilities unique. For example, all dhampirs will have the Blood Strength ability, allowing them to get stronger for a short amount of time if they ingest blood.
- Racial Weaknesses: Except for Humans, all races have specific weaknesses , most of which are derived from their supernatural ancestry. For example is a Werewolves vulnerability against silver or a Cambion’s weakness against cold iron.
Saturday - November 02, 2013
Graywalkers: Purgatory - Update #5 & 6
Once again Graywalkers: Purgatory has a few new updates in the last two days. So without wasting time here they are.
Update #5 - "FRIGHT NIGHT!"
Happy Halloween and welcome to Update #5. Some announcements first before we proceed to the main part of our update for today.
1. Things have been slow and we would like to request everybody to help and spread the word more. We still have a long way to go though I’m confident that together, we can reach our goal. So please, spread the word, most especially in RPG or PC forums.
2. We are currently updating our main video. The plan is we will create a much shorter video and then keep the full length video on the description page. This will hopefully result in more video completions and more pledges. For those who still wants to see the whole thing, it will still be available.
3. We have just partnered up with “TRIALS OF ASCENSION: A truly Innovative MMORPG”. Their Kickstarter is running simultaneously with ours and I offered them a partnership to do some cross-marketing…and they agreed. We will be helping them with their Kickstarter and they will be doing the same for us. So let’s give them some love as well. They have a fantastic game and if you play MMOS, then it’s something you definitely have to support: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/forgedchaos/trials-of-ascension-a-truly-innovative-mmorpg
Update #6- "Spreading the Word"
Our update today is about spreading the word about the game. As you all know, the past few days have been a bit slow. At the current pace, it will be difficult to reach our target. We are currently at 15% with 26 days more to go. We still have lots of time but instead of waiting for the clock to run out, we've decided to include all of you, especially our most ardent supporters to help us spread the word more pro-actively. You guys are the lifeblood of this game and we are still confident that we can still make it to the finish line with the help of each and everyone here.
To facilitate this, we've prepared a list of ways you can help, most of which involves several online options. These activities will not only directly raise awareness, there is a chance also that it might increase the chances that we get noticed and put on the Staff Picks
Tuesday - October 29, 2013
Graywalkers: Purgatory - Update #3 & 4
Graywalkers: Purgatory has a few new updates in the last two days. I actually like what I'm hearing about the game, and I recommend everyone at least take a look at it.
The game itself has earned $14,460 of it's $100,000 goal with 29 days left. So without wasting anymore time here are the updates.
Update #3 - "Short and Sweet"
Hello everyone. Hope you all had a great weekend. Things have slowed down around here over the weekend but I’m confident that things will get better this week. We have 30 days more and are at 14%+ Not bad but I’m sure we can do better together. Our update today will be a bit short and with only a few points to share. Not to worry, we’re just taking the time to prepare better updates for the next few days as we delve deeper into the mechanics of the game itself.
Update #4 - "Emergent" Gameplay
Ferdinand Joseph Fernandez - Lead Engineer (@AnomalusUndrdog)
So why are we tacking on another one of those buzzwords in our pitch? Actually this idea came separately from the Graywalkers game.
Before, I was thinking of making an action RPG where depletion of food sources actually matter. To pull that off, you'd need a working model of supply lines, just like what you'd see in a real-time strategy (RTS) game.
And from there, you'd need everything else an RTS uses: harvester units, resource-providing structures, resource storage structures, etc.
Imagine such things in an RPG.
Well, sure, you do see farms and farmers in your typical role-playing game. But they're just for show, right? They don't really do "work" work.
So I thought, why not make them really work, like an RTS would? But still play the game as an RPG?
In effect, you'd be playing the game as an RPG character, where other AI (that is, some NPCs) are effectively the "RTS players" in that world. Those "RTS players" would probably be a king, or a town governor, perhaps.
So, in essence, you'd get to play an RPG where:
1. When sieging a fortress, you could just let the defenders starve instead of making a costly attack.
2. You can destroy a faction's supply lines to disrupt their economy, thus weakening their city for an invasion.
3. When factions wage war with each other, you'd see territorial lines shift back and forth as they struggle.
I pitched this idea to Russell and he was pretty excited about it. So far, we have a working plan on how to merge it properly to the current design for Graywalkers. We've also been drawing inspiration on how other games do it, notably Mount and Blade.
I also did a bit of research on making a believable economy in fantasy settings, and two books I found helpful were Farm, Forge and Steam - A Nuts and Bolts Guide to Civilisations, and Grain Into Gold - A Fantasy World Economy, at least for a start.
So, it's not like this is innovative; certainly it's been done before by other developers (and with quite an amount of success I might say). But we do think it's rarely done, and kind of a missed opportunity that most game developers aren't catching on.
Saturday - October 26, 2013
Graywalkers: Purgatory - Update #1, First 48 Hours
Dreamlords Digital has a new update for Graywalkers: Purgatory, and it's first 48 hours. It will also answer some of the questions you asked about in the previous news-bit.
Our First 48 Hours
Hello Everyone! To the first batch of Backers, let me take this opportunity to say thank you from the bottom of our hearts. We were overwhelmed with the support you guys are giving us despite the lack we may have had such as the videos, initial press support and other small but important things.
As everyone knows, we are now at 12% of our target goal after 48 hours. This puts us at a stage wherein we can now be a viable candidate for getting more attention from press and other potential backers. They say the first few days and the last few days are the hardest and now I know why. It has been one of the most stressful experience to launch a kickstarter. But you all have been fantastic and made it all worth it. We have reached our current position faster than we expected and for us, that is indeed a big thing and has now given us a more solid belief that we can indeed do this with your help.
- Updated Video – we have now finally uploaded the video we were planning to post in the beginning. We hope that it is satisfactory. We know it could be better and we would want to make it better with your help. If you could suggest how we could improve the video to appeal more to the backers, please let us know. Be brutal if you need to. Only through truth will we become better. It’s still early in the game and we can still do something about it
- Gameplay Video – we also are working on 2 pure gameplay videos and should be uploaded very soon
- Stretch Goals – I’m not sure if you noticed but we’ve adjusted our stretch goals a bit. We’ve lowered the bar on some of the stretch goals, making them available earlier. We’ve also added the Wii U on the possible platforms to be ported to, based on some suggestions by some backers
- Clarification on Platform - It seems there are some who may be a bit confused as to what platform we will be on. The game will be a PC first platform. Only after the PC version will we port it to the other platforms. We will however take into consideration preparations to make the transition to the other platforms much easier than normal. The closest comparison to what we are trying to achieve would be X-Com's port of their 2012 game to their Ipad version this year. We are porting to Tablets Only! Though we know that the phones can run the game, we don’t think the gameplay experience will be the same on such a small screen.
- Goal for Going Mobile – some people are wondering why we included mobile instead of just pure PC. There are several reasons for this. First is we're on Unity. It's actually more of a lost opportunity if we don't because it is relatively easy to do so. We expand our audience base with less effort. We want as many people to have a chance to play our game without the platform being the reason they don't. Second, we believe this is the way to get the new generation of gamers interested in old-school style of gaming. We're going for the goal that Father and Son will be playing the same game, but on their preferred platform of choice.
Friday - October 25, 2013
Graywalkers: Purgatory - A Strategic & Tactical Turn-Based RPG
Well this new kickstarter fell under my radar it's called Graywalkers: Purgatory, and it's asking for $100,000 to get funded.
It's desribed as, "A Emergent Strategic & Tactical Turn-Based RPG set in a Supernatural Post-Apocalyptic World where Heaven & Hell merged with Earth."
I wish them luck as the game sounds good, but the asking price based on other projects is hard to achieve.
Graywalkers: Purgatory is the first in a series of Emergent Strategic and Tactical Turn-based 3D Role-Playing Game set in a stylish supernatural post-apocalyptic world, where parts of Heaven, Hell and Earth have merged together in an event called "The Rupture".
In this game, you play the prophesied leader of the Graywalkers, 36 Hidden Ones who walk the line between the darkness and the light. It is your task to gather them all, unite the the chaotic lands of Purgatory under one banner, and lead the war to reclaim the world for humanity. Your actions will affect the economy and politics of this land ravaged by the war between the supernaturals.
The vision for the Graywalkers saga has underlying foundations that will guide it through its development from beginning to end:
- Best of Turn-Based - the game was inspired by some of the best turn-based games we love: the X-Com series, Fallout Series, Jagged Alliance series, the original Wasteland, Baldur's Gate and Arcanum. We've melded the best features we loved from these games and added our own to create a unique but familiar experience.
- Epic Story, Deep Mythos & New Mysterious World - the epic story of Graywalkers spans more than 2000 years of background history, providing a deep and rich world flavored with new takes on old legends and mysteries waiting to be discovered.
- Emergent Gameplay - we wanted to create a game where the player's decisions and actions have the ability to change and affect the world in profound ways.
Community Interaction – one of the reasons for us being here on Kickstarter is to build a community behind this game. We want them to be part of the development of this game as reasonably possible. The game we will build is the game they want to play
- Game Type - It is a 3D 3rd person role-playing game with strategic and tactical elements. You can toggle between Isometric and Perspective views.
- Game Modes - There are 3 possible Game Modes; Campaign is the single-player epic storyline, Freeform is a single player experience where everything is procedurally generated and your measure for success is affected by influence, resources and power. If Stretch goals are reached, we will be adding a Multiplayer Mode which is Team based PVP.
- Distribution - We are targeting on distributing the game on as many digital platforms as we can get on, including hopefully Steam, GOG, Desura and others.
- Current State - The game is in the pre-alpha stage. We have working prototypes for some of the core systems but we still need to build majority of the content. We estimate 14-18 months more of development time.
Information aboutGraywalkers: Purgatory
Developer: Dreamlords Digital
Play-time: 20-40 hours
Voice-acting: Partially voiced
Regions & platforms
· Platform: PC
· To be announced
· Publisher: Dreamlords Digital