Avencast - Signed by Lighthouse
Those who have been with us since RPGDot may remember the indie action/RPG Avencast: Rise of the Mage, which had a very low profile but we posted a couple of newsbits for it. Lighthouse Interactive has now signed the title for a Q3 release and here's the press release:
Haarlem, The Netherlands – March 22, 2007 – Leading Publisher Lighthouse Interactive today announced it has acquired the worldwide publishing rights to Austrian based developer ClockStone Software’s action RPG, “AVENCAST: Rise of the Mage”. Scheduled to release in Q3 2007 on the PC, this new RPG successfully marries the dynamics of an action game with strong adventure elements creating an enthralling and unique gaming experience.
What’s unique about AVENCAST? “It effectively balances both combat and non-combat interactions for a perfect combination of both brains and brawn,” says Erik Schreuder, CEO of Lighthouse Interactive. “By drawing from player-skilled action games like shooters and beat-em-ups, and combining those elements with the game mechanics of an RPG, AVENCAST offers players the excitement of crafting a powerful character, but also requires them to bring their own skills to unleash their hero’s potential.”
Michael Schiestl, CEO of ClockStone Software promises: “Avencast will finally bring some fresh air into the present action RPG genre with a combat system that favors skillful gameplay over dull mouse clicking.”
AVENCAST is not only about combat. There are strong adventure elements involving numerous perilous quests, scouring vast environments for powerful items, solving riddles, and engaging with various NPC’s to advance the compelling story.
The player begins their journey as an adept attending the renowned magic academy – AVENCAST – a place of learning in a world of wizardry, wonder and untold mystery.
As an apprentice, the player is expected to complete a number of diverse quests to hone their skills in potions, spell casting, weaponry, and melee combat. As the story unravels, your character’s purpose becomes clear –things at the academy are not as they appear and when Avencast is descended upon by demonic hordes the very survival of his world is at stake. Armed with over 60 different combat moves and spells, and over one hundred different equipment items plus variations, the player must fight various nightmarish creatures and transcend dimensions into the past. The intriguing plot thickens revealing treachery, deceit, the tragic destiny of a forgotten people, and an astonishing truth that will forever change the battle scarred Wizard.
AVENCAST: Rise of the Mage is a game accessible to both novice RPG players while still challenging core RPG and Action fans with a great variety of skills and strategies. To find out more and to keep up with the latest news visit www.lighthouse-interacive.com. or www.avencast.com.
• Many hours of exciting gameplay set in diverse worlds
• Over 30 Fantasy Based Monsters with Advanced A.I.– Each with their own combat strategies, attacks, and defensive moves, their reactions are dependant upon the player’s behavior, attack strategy, and even health
• Strong Player Personification – In third person view, the character’s appearance changes as they acquire new equipment, armor, and weapons
• State-of-the-art 3D Engine not only allows for a fluid combat system but also generates special lighting and shadowing effects for a fully engaging experience. Players are immersed into ominous settings like dark dungeons with looming pillars and large corridors; creatures are more imposing with their highly detailed silhouettes
• Learn Special Moves from Different Skill Trees – Blood Magic (elementally charged blows with varying speeds, ranges, and damage properties) and Soul Magic (covers all kinds of ranged magic spells allowing better area control) – both allow players to summon reinforcements during combat
• An RPG by mechanics, but also a game that can be enjoyed by a broad range of players – RPG, Action, and Adventure
ClockStone Software GmbH is an up-and-coming Austrian company specialized in developing games and multimedia applications for the PC. Located in the beautiful town of Innsbruck, Austria, their growing team of artists, programmers, and game designers together with numerous freelancing partners seeks to create innovative, state-of-the-art software and graphics at the highest level. Please visit www.clockstone.com.
Genre: Hack & Slash