Thin Air was really good, it was different and fun to find Spenser in such an interesting conundrum, so much about this particular case was out of his hands.

Now I'm back to the Pickett series with Endangered. Looks like their adopted daughter April might be in some serious trouble.

I actually finished Endangered a few days ago and enjoyed it, save for what happened to April. I'll be continuing the series for sure, the Pickett clan is well worth reading about.

And I just wrapped up book four of the Striker series, Lethal White. This one took all sorts of twists, from a time jump that I didn't see coming to past traumas, to a nail-biting conclusion! Now I'm on book five, Troubled Blood and will likely wrap this one up later today or tomorrow.

I'm still reading the Silo trilogy written by Hugh Howey. So far, I'm enjoying it a lot. The author thought hard about many details to make it believable and interesting, and the main characters are relatively well developed.

I'm well past the first season of the TV series now, and I'm surprised how little it has in common with the books, except the general inspiration and some names. I'm used to books being heavily adapted, but this goes beyond it; maybe I'll understand better why after I've finished reading the books.

If the show keeps following the same general idea, though, there should be plenty of exciting content for a 2nd season and more.

I'm still reading the Silo trilogy written by Hugh Howey. So far, I'm enjoying it a lot. The author thought hard about many details to make it believable and interesting, and the main characters are relatively well developed.
Are you reading them in the order he wrote them, or did you start with the prequels?

Are you reading them in the order he wrote them, or did you start with the prequels?
In the order. I bought The Wool Trilogy, which has a misleading name since it includes Wool, Shift, and Dust - in that order.

I'm still in Wool so I don't know for sure if starting with the prequel (Shift IIC) is a good idea, but I don't think so. It would reveal things that are unknown or being discovered by people in the first book, and I've read somewhere that some of the main characters were continuing their story in Shift (not sure if it's true or not).

Oh man, the Passage is such a fine book! For me the following books in the series didn't live up to the first, yet that start is amazingly good. I've read several of Cronin's other books outside this series and I still think the Passage is his best.

I'm more than halfway through book six of the Striker series now, the Ink Black Heart. It's mostly a case involving some online game, which is pretty weird yet working so far, also lots of catching up with new members of the detective agency plus Corm's and Rob's relationship. Good stuff!

I finished the Ink Black Heart this morning, it was terrific and quite different from other cases in the series. One of the stronger points in these books is the banter that the detectives have with not only each other but the police and civilians as well. The dialogue is simply outstanding! The ending is a true nod to Robin and all the works she's done both for herself and the agency, and she reaps some well due rewards this round.

Now I'm back to the Pickett series, I've just cracked open book sixteen, Off the Grid.

I completed Off the Grid last evening which sees a return of Nate and the shadow organization that's become very interested in him. The story progresses to include domestic terrorism this time, and Pickett gets drawn in as well, as do members of his family. It was a tour de force right up to the finish!

Now I'm onto book two of the Atlas series, the Atlas Paradox.

The Atlas Paradox was a good second volume in the series, some of the themes get abstract yet the author does a great job of tying it all together. I'll be looking forward to reading the third book!

Now I'm reading a mystery book suggested to me by Amazon, titled Her Deadly Game. I'm about halfway through and so far so good. A bit simplistic yet enjoyable.

Just finished The Way of Kings by Brandon Sanderson.
I liked it and will continue with the series, but there is no way this needed to be a 1000 pages book. And that's in large format - I understand it's 1300 pages in standard pb format.
Some cool ideas and systems, as per Sanderson's usual method of world building, but his lax, almost YA-like, "decaffeinated" writing style, is a detriment. Still, I found myself caring about what happened, and I guess that's what matters.

Speaking of world building (WB) I picked up The Fifth Season by NK Jemisin because I read somewhere she is great at WB. I agree; the world building was excellent. I’ve taken an interest in WB because it is fun for me to understand systems that make great RPGs. I feel more immersed in a book when the WB is great.

I enjoyed the “science fantasy” bent as well. I haven’t read a lot of books like that.

I’ve already begun the sequel. So far the sequel is a bit slow at the beginning but I’m still keeping with it.

I enjoyed the Fifth Season when I read it, haven't gone past the first book yet.

And yeah, while I love Sanderson and most of his titles, many of his tales could do with some serious editing. Lots of repetition and arcs that the main plot really doesn't need.

In the newspaper I read about a book which is probably far too heavy for me - but the article said that it is a good book : "Demon Copperhead" (inspired by David Copperfield" from Charled Dickens), by Kingsolver.
I just wanted to point out to it because the article left the impression with me that it is a remarkable - albeit heavy - book.

Regarding Star Wars novels I went through these two books throughout the last months (with some pauses) :

- "Honor among thieves" [BE would be "Honour among thieves"] by James S.A. Corey, featuring the Han Solo character who is fresh after ANH - with *that* attitude ! It is a good novel, albeit with a bit much of action. I found the characters very well written, only the end part was a bit ... strange. Alien technology, and a little bit too fast for my taste. "Bigger than life."

- "Scourge" by Jeff Grub is an excellent novel if you are looking for a "good night reading", so to say. We often say "Gute-Nacht-Lekture" here. It is a more silent book, with lots of non-action, which I found *very* refreshing within the Star Wars Universe !
Beware of the end chaper, though : It really does get some action ! And unexpected stuff !
The author remareks that it is based on / inspired by the pen & paper role playing campaign "Tempest Feud", of which the author was co-author then.

Speaking of world building (WB) I picked up The Fifth Season by NK Jemisin because I read somewhere she is great at WB. I agree; the world building was excellent. I’ve taken an interest in WB because it is fun for me to understand systems that make great RPGs. I feel more immersed in a book when the WB is great.

I enjoyed the “science fantasy” bent as well. I haven’t read a lot of books like that.

I’ve already begun the sequel. So far the sequel is a bit slow at the beginning but I’m still keeping with it.
Marie Brennan runs a patreon access blog that just focuses on world-building she has over 3 years into topics and it is awesome.

I concluded Vicious Circle this morning, a great tale in the Pickett saga that sees the passing of an established character and the return of a nasty villain. Late in the book Nate makes a return as well. I'll be continuing to read this series for sure.

Next up is the third book in the Atlas series, the Atlas Complex.

Just finished The Way of Kings by Brandon Sanderson.
I liked it and will continue with the series, but there is no way this needed to be a 1000 pages book. And that's in large format - I understand it's 1300 pages in standard pb format.
Some cool ideas and systems, as per Sanderson's usual method of world building, but his lax, almost YA-like, "decaffeinated" writing style, is a detriment. Still, I found myself caring about what happened, and I guess that's what matters.
I couldn't handle his prose. I made it ~200 pages through the book. There were some ideas and characters that I liked, but so much of it was bland and amateurishly written.