I tend to prefer a good story, too, though I'm fine with pure fighting games now and then, if they're short enough. Or puzzle action games, like Little Nightmares.

I like balanced approach - I don't enjoy both too much dialogue or combat or anything (especially puzzle lol)

My ingredients tend to be a good story, decent combat mechanics, and lots of exploration possibilities.
I'd say exectly the same but swap the word 'combat' for 'waifu'.

51 hours into Horizon Forbidden West now, and still feeling like I've barely scratched the surface. I just finished the first cauldron, so I can finally override some of the machines. I've spent a lot of that time just randomly exploring though rather than following the main questline.

Other than the dialogue, this game is pure gold.

Man, the road through the Red Forest, towards the X10 lab in Stalker is just horrendously tedious. I've got that emission wave blocking my sound, so I can't hear shit, neither the radiation meter or being fired on.
Everything is a yellow tint so I can't see shit. Taking serious damage from afar, having to also fire at spectral mutants or whatever they are; all the while trying to find a way into the lab. Jesus, I'm definitely hanging it up for tonight. But I'm also starting to question if I have it in me to keep this up. And shouldn't I be playing a more serious rpg.

Apparently I have 2 or 3 more locations, Pripyat and the reactor area. So maybe I'll keep at it. We'll see.
I've definitely lost my endurance with these games. There's no way this would've been as big a deal 10 years ago, for me to keep up.

EDIT: Weirdly enough, I was curious and took a look at a video walkthrough and the dude's screen tint and sound is nothing compared to mine, in this area, around the emitter. His seems normal. While mine is:
And picture that with barely the ability to hear anything.

I wonder if I missed some quest that allows me to be fully immune to the emitter.

EDIT2: Seems I was underestimating myself. Managed to reach the emitter and can shut it off, but apparently the military storms in immediately.
And I'm supposed to find the access code for the door, to leave safely the other way? Weird how I didn't find anything. Or does the game expect me to now fight all the way back out of this whole compound. :(
EDIT3: Fuck, just checked a guide, and apparently the closed door with the access panel serves no purpose. I'm supposed to fight all the way back out. Double fuck!

Last edited:
Well I made it out of the brain-scorcher and walked all the way back to the 100 rads bar. Jesus what a pain in the ass. Between the radiation spiked areas and the very annoying highlevel enemies that shoot at me, I don't know what's worse.
The soldiers of course. I don't what gives, but for some time now all these end-game soldiers are annoying as hell to kill. Anything but headshots seem to take dozens of bullets. And they keep moving, and I miss constantly.

And some of them can take me out in mere seconds if they get too close. The exosuit-wearing asshats especially.
Escaping the scorcher I met a dozen of them, it feels like. And the only chance I had was killing them with grenades while being out of their sight. If they saw me for 1-2 seconds it was guaranteed instant death.

So now I have to traverse the red forest again, and head into Prypiat. I wonder if there's any seller there, cause this walk back is absolutely annoying.
It was fun for a long time but now it's really getting old.

I completely forgot what difficulty I started Stalker on, and after some browsing through the game I found out it's veteran difficulty. Honestly, with that in context, it's not that difficult. I do wonder how master is. And I wonder does the difficulty make enemies more of a damage sponge? I was looking at a review of stalker, and the dude said he was playing on the easiest, and difficult enemies still took a lot of shots to put down.

Anyway, I think I'm gonna play to at least wrap up Shadow of Chernobyl, and I'll about the two sequels, if I still have the patience.

It's strange, I can't find any trace of this game in my emails or libraries. I must have bought the box when it was released, but I didn't even keep the manual.

I never played the two following games, but I see that Call of Pripyat has a very good score on Steam. I remember that, at the time, some of their next game had a bad reception, but I don't remember which; maybe it was the next, Clear Sky?

I never played the two following games, but I see that Call of Pripyat has a very good score on Steam. I remember that, at the time, some of their next game had a bad reception, but I don't remember which; maybe it was the next, Clear Sky?
Clear Sky is generally considered the worst of the three, though that doesn't mean it's "bad". From what I can remember, it's a prequel, and it focuses more on the different Stalker factions. Like SoC, it's recommended to use a mod for bugs and QoL.

Talk about a clusterfuck of a final area. I was hoping to explore the area around the Chernobyl reactor, but it's a full blown war going on.
Helicopters, sharpshooters everywhere or ones firing rockets at me. I have no idea where the hell I am on the map, or better said, my orientation. It sounds like a bug with the map, but there's no longer an icon representing myself and my orientation on the map. So I'm left to try and deduce where I've moved towards, while asking for the map to center on me. All while being fired upon.
Oh, and I guess I should've imagined it, but there's no returning to the previous areas anymore? Could've freakin' warned me and to grab everything I want with me. :(

I'm still romping around in Legend of Grimrock two, I really don't recall exploring all these areas before though it was a few years ago that I played. My only complaint would be that it'd be even better were it turn-based, yet other than that it's a blast to play.

Yeah, seeing what lies in store inside the NPP, in terms of boatloads of enemy soldiers, radiation galore, there's no way I can make it on the ammo and supplies I made it with to the power plant.
So I just said fuck it and I watched the endings of the game on youtube. It's fine, I really don't have the patience to trudge through all of that combat. Kind of an interesting little tale. Though parts I felt went a bit over my head.

I'm still romping around in Legend of Grimrock two, I really don't recall exploring all these areas before though it was a few years ago that I played. My only complaint would be that it'd be even better were it turn-based, yet other than that it's a blast to play.
Loved the Grimrocks, I'd have been happy with a 3rd.
I couldn't beat the end of no. 2. Whats his face was too fast for me.

Even though I said I'd given up on actually finishing the last level in Stalker, I was a bit headstrong and tried it out. Yeah, no chance in the state I am. The constantly pounding of radiation forcing you to push forwards, and the constant wave of tough enemies just makes the final stretch an absolute slog.
Constant reloading, constant pushing forwards. And I've reached a point where I've just exhaused all radiation medicine and health packs. You really have to come packing for this final stretch. And there's no way I'm reloading and doing all of this over again. So I can say the game bested me.
Maybe I could lower the difficulty but I think I'm done with SoC. It was very enjoyable, up until this last slog where it becomes just a shoot fest and doesn't have the open world and survival mechanics that I loved up until now.
I'll probably write a review as usual, but as a grade I think it's a solid 8-8.5/10.

Maybe I could lower the difficulty but I think I'm done with SoC. It was very enjoyable, up until this last slog where it becomes just a shoot fest and doesn't have the open world and survival mechanics that I loved up until now.
I'll probably write a review as usual, but as a grade I think it's a solid 8-8.5/10.
It's been a very long time since I played it, but I remember the end was more stressful, a bit confusing, and not as enjoyable as the rest. And I think I must have played on normal difficulty.

Having now played Stalker and Fallout, honestly I have to say that as a setting and universe I prefer the stalker games. Much stronger atmospherically and with more potential for something truly exotic.
In terms of gameplay, I think I also prefer Stalker, but that's maybe just because it's first person. Maybe if Fallout 3 and 4 were darker and more macabre, like Stalker is, I would've liked them more.
I've also not gotten very into the Metro games, so those are also on my list. But those are far less open world and more linear from what I've seen?

I've also not gotten very into the Metro games, so those are also on my list. But those are far less open world and more linear from what I've seen?
Yeah, if you decide to play them, don't go in expecting anything like Stalker. The Metro series leans more towards traditional shooters. The first 2 games are quite linear. The 3rd has much larger open maps. The gameplay and atmosphere are great in all of them though.

Ooh, so I've talked about one rpg I'm playing in another thread but...

If you're looking for a simpler Might and Magic experience, this one harkens into ye olden days of MM3 and Swords of Xeen. The game is called Monsters of Mican and it's again 4 player and either turn based or real time w/pause. Not sure. Anyways, this is a more bite sized piece of MM goodness. You have one town and it has a dungeon of several levels that has popped up nearby. There are 14 classes that would be familiar to wiz and M&M vets and you have the whole town vibe going from older MM games. You'll find barrels and mirrors and wells, etc., all inside the muti-level dungeon.

new M&M clone screens