3 best rpg in the last 5 years?

rpgdude

Watchdog
If you are asked to select 3 best rpg games the last 5 years (2005-2009), which ones do you select?

Some suggested games in random order: G3, Kotor II, Fable, Oblivion, Witcher enhanced ed., Jade Empire, Fallout 3, Mass effect and Drakensang: the dark eye.

BTW, I own most of them but only started with G3.

Difficult to make a selection. Here's the ones I remember in order best to worst.

Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic II - The Sith Lords
Gothic III
Fallout 3
Mask of the Betrayer
Jade Empire
Mass Effect
Neverwinter Nights II
Dungeon Siege 2
Two Worlds
Fable
Oblivion

I haven't played Drakensang or Witcher.

1. The Witcher EE
  2. Gothic III 1.7
  3. Mask of the Betrayer

I've played most of the mentioned(except Drakensang) but none of them is good enough to be in top 3.

1. Drakensang
2. Storm of Zehir
3. Oblivion

Wrong forum?

Anyways, I think you definitely have to include The Witcher in any talk about best recent crpg. I'd have to say (in no particular order)... The Witcher, Gothic 3, and Fallout 3.
I haven't played NWN2+expansions yet.

Some suggested games in random order: G3, Kotor II, Fable, Oblivion, Witcher enhanced ed., Jade Empire, Fallout 3, Mass effect and Drakensang: the dark eye.

I'm going to pretend I don't see that. ;)

I would have to say:

NWN MoTB
KOTOR II
???

Haven't been impressed with the other RPGs I've played the last 5 years including NWN2 OC, Mass Effect, Oblivion, Jade Empire and Fallout 3.

Oh, if including console RPGs too then that list would become:

KOTOR II (loved MoTB story more but I hate the NWN2 engine so much and MoTB WAS an expansion)
Persona 4
FF XII

- Drakensang
- Witcher
- Mask of the Betrayer

If you are asked to select 3 best rpg games the last 5 years (2005-2009), which ones do you select?

2005-2009 or last five years? I assume that "5" is just a missclick.

1. Vampire the Masquerade Bloodlines (2004)
2. The Witcher (2007)
3. Mask of the Betrayer (2008)

Of those I've played I enjoyed The Witcher, G3, and Kotor2 the most. G3 and Kotor2 lacked too much in polish for me to consider them very good products though. The Witcher is a quality game though with only one serious issue (loading times) that was fixed with a fairly early patch.

I also enjoyed Jade Empire and Two Worlds, but they are very light on the RPG side. I havent played the NWN2 expansions (I'm playing the OC at the moment but the AI and camera might be among the worst I've ever encountered, why dont they use transparency more for the camera and why do the AI insist on switching targets even after I told it who to kill first???), Fallout 3, Mass Effect, and Drakensang. NWN2 is ok but not very impressive. Oblivion has technical polish but the design choices make for a stinky RPG that I loathe, and is the reason for me not buying Fallout 3.

2. The Witcher (2007)

Seconded.

Also, there´s quite a huge gap between these three and the rest.

2. The Witcher (2007)

2005+2006+2007+2008+2009=five years.

Übereil

Bloodlines was released on November 16, 2004 which makes it 4 and 1/2 year old though.
If that doesn´t count, I´d go with Witcher, Betrayer, KotOR II.

KOTOR2 is also a questionable addition as it was released on XBox 2004.

Easy. It's games released between 2nd of june 2004 at approximately 17:51 and yesterday at 17:51, of course. *sighs: precision is a long lost discipline.

Oh! My favourite games (in no particular order):

Fallout 3
Oblivion
Avernum 4

I assume that if I had played The Witcher, it would have replaced Oblivion.

VTM Bloodlines (just replayed it twice with Patch 6.1)
Drakensang
The Witcher
Kotor II

In this order.

Can't choose three of them, I wouldn't want to miss any of them.

Didn't play any NWN2-expansion, because I was underwhelmed by the OC.

Played JE and ME, but both are not as good as the four mentioned above and at least the latter is no CRPG anyway.

Played Oblivion - for half a day and found it was not my cup of tea..

Didn't play any NWN2-expansion, because I was underwhelmed by the OC.

Ignore the OC. MOTB is a great game and well worth playing, kinda like HOTU was better than the OC in NWN1. But MOTB is better than HOTU.

1) Gothic 3 (bugs and all it was still a fun game)
2) Fallout 3 (got a bit tedious in the middle but a great game)
3) Two Worlds (I liked this game a lot, had their backwoods area been a tad more alive, it would have probably been number 1)

I hated leaving Witcher off the list. OTH, I didn't mind leaving Oblivion off the list.

Just curious:
I believe everybody, who doesn't have Drakensang in the list, didn't play it.

Just curious:
I believe everybody, who doesn't have Drakensang in the list, didn't play it.

Wrong!

I'm playing it right now. It's an okay game but for me, the game mechanics take away from the immersion factor. Additionally I am about 3/4 of the way through and battles still take a long time. I like the game but it probaly isn't even in my top 10 list for the past 5 years.

Wrong!

I'm playing it right now. It's an okay game but for me, the game mechanics take away from the immersion factor. Additionally I am about 3/4 of the way through and battles still take a long time. I like the game but it probaly isn't even in my top 10 list for the past 5 years.

That is really interesting.

The game mechanics was one of the things I loved most.

The option for Auto-Pause after each round is what I already loved in the Infinity engine and which I missed in many later games. I don't like all the real-time combat games so much (however I am a huge Gothic fan and Gothic 3 would be in my Top Ten too).

Back
Top Bottom